Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Destiny Beta seems great so far.

It feels like I'm playing Halo on PS4, but with the possibility that this could be better than any Halo game that will ever exist on this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grayditch wrote: »
    Destiny Beta seems great so far.

It feels like I'm playing Halo on PS4, but with the possibility that this could be better than any Halo game that will ever exist on this gen.

It is prerelease but the Beta is still a long way off from how well Halo MP ran.

any Halo game that will ever exist on this gen.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I was just thinking, some people aren't big fans of remasters but if I had the spare cash to buy an Xbox One right now. It'd be purely for that Halo Collection. As someone who's never owned an xbox, I'd be all over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

tok9 wrote: »
    I was just thinking, some people aren't big fans of remasters but if I had the spare cash to buy an Xbox One right now. It'd be purely for that Halo Collection. As someone who's never owned an xbox, I'd be all over that.

It's definitely the game I'm most looking forward to this year.

I think 3-4-3 will do something spectacular with Halo 5. What they achieved on the 360 with Halo 4 was incredible.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »

People who don't like the remasters are in the minority, they sell which means people want them.

But I agree, only played Halo CE on PC and 3 on 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Fescue wrote: »
    It's definitely the game I'm most looking forward to this year.

I think 3-4-3 will do something spectacular with Halo 5. What they achieved on the 360 with Halo 4 was incredible.

Storywise Halo 4 was good..

Multiplayer was god awful though, was like CoD with the weapon drops and ****ty mechs....

I was looking at the Halo Collection. Tempting considering they are keeping all the glitches in there - but I dunno is it worth buying an Xbox One for, I've moved on, shooterwise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Fieldog wrote: »
    Storywise Halo 4 was good..

Multiplayer was god awful though, was like CoD with the weapon drops and ****ty mechs....

I was looking at the Halo Collection. Tempting considering they are keeping all the glitches in there - but I dunno is it worth buying an Xbox One for, I've moved on, shooterwise....

I thought the games looked incredible. I don't play a lot of mulitplayer to be honest so for me the main story is important.

I expect 3-4-3 to do something special with Halo 5. I think Microsoft need them to.

I was disappointed with Halo 4 multiplayer, alright. Overall the game was ok, but it didn't get near to the feeling of Halo 2 for example, and I've sort of lost faith in any upcoming Halo games, so it'd be great if Destiny had that Halo feel with a great multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's impossible to deny people the right to have an opinion and express it based on, not the game, but past experience of the genre and the read opinion of others you trust.
    You may not have as authoritive an opinion as someone who owns it, and acknowledge same, but otherwise it'd get very stale and boring of only those who own a game can express an opinion.
    I don't think the moderators would attempt to support such a position

I'm not saying someone can't have an opinion on the genre, or can't decide whether they'd like the game or not by watching gameplay, reading reviews etc.
    But if somebody hasn't played the game themselves then it's not their opinion, it's them regurgitating the opinion of others.
    I don't expect the moderators to stop anybody, but if somebody wants to discuss a game they haven't played, they should offer more than "it's ****".

In this case somebody who was interested in Ryse asked if it was any good, and Shadow says "it's ****" without ever playing it, so that's the type of practice I think should be frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Obviously we can't action someone for expressing an opinion without having played a game - that would be an unfair and impossible to enforce rule.

From a personal perspective, though, there's a big difference between conclusively stating "this game is good / bad / mediocre" without having played it, and stating "I haven't played it, but from what I've heard and seen this game looks to be good / bad / mediocre". There's too many games in this world for us all to play everything and thus we have to make decisions based on our own general preferences and other people's feedback - I'm sure no-one's contesting that. But certainly I'd be totally disinclined to weigh in on a discussion with a definitive statement unless I'd played it myself.

The strangest example I've seen on here was one poster explaining how they had opted to watch The Last of Us on YouTube instead of playing it - that would offer such a weird, skewed and unintended perspective on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'm not saying someone can't have an opinion on the genre, or can't decide whether they'd like the game or not by watching gameplay, reading reviews etc.
    But if somebody hasn't played the game themselves then it's not their opinion, it's them regurgitating the opinion of others.
    I don't expect the moderators to stop anybody, but if somebody wants to discuss a game they haven't played, they should offer more than "it's ****".

In this case somebody who was interested in Ryse asked if it was any good, and Shadow says "it's ****" without ever playing it, so that's the type of practice I think should be frowned upon.

In my opinion recommending game like Ryse is a disservice to a gamer. Game is **** and there are way better games, considering everyone have limited time and resources for games.
    So yeah, I better say game is **** and tell them to invest their time and money in to a better game. Its being blunt, but straight.

Nothing to do with it being xbox one game as much as some people would love to pin that on me.

You literally don't KNOW that it's crap though. And even then "crap" is very subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

If I understand what going on here is Sonic 06 isn't crap ???

You literally don't KNOW that it's crap though. And even then "crap" is very subjective.

Its easy to dismiss and make it look lame "oh, he just looked some reviews and some youtube videos. haha! What an asshole!". In reality these days you can find so much info and footage on any game these days. You dont need to be rocket scientist to realise that the game is good and bad.

This "You have to play, before you can say its good or bad" is a new fad in boards.ie Everyone jumped my throat and holding hands. I can bet you that in a few months there will be another discussion on similar topic, but this time around everyone will be defending that youtubers and reviews content matters to make your own opinion and decide how good or bad games are. I am on boards.ie long enough to see this happen several times. Its like a flavour of the month.

I wonder why Allien marines was such a flop? Oh wait, Those assholes on review sites and youtube told you that its ****. So you did not bought it. I smell such a hypocrisy in this thread, its just sad.

So ill just close it down for myself. I will still voice my opinion and use info online to decide if games are good or bad. I wont be paying money to find out if its a good or bad game. Other then that, I dont give a ****.

Its easy to dismiss and make it look lame "oh, he just looked some reviews and some youtube videos. haha! What an asshole!". In reality these days you can find so much info and footage on any game these days. You dont need to be rocket scientist to realise that the game is good and bad.

This "You have to play, before you can say its good or bad" is a new fad in boards.ie Everyone jumped my throat and holding hands. I can bet you that in a few months there will be another discussion on similar topic, but this time around everyone will be defending that youtubers and reviews content matters to make your own opinion and decide how good or bad games are. I am on boards.ie long enough to see this happen several times. Its like a flavour of the month.

I wonder why Allien marines was such a flop? Oh wait, Those assholes on review sites and youtube told you that its ****. So you did not bought it. I smell such a hypocrisy in this thread, its just sad.

So ill just close it down for myself. I will still voice my opinion and use info online to decide if games are good or bad. I wont be paying money to find out if its a good or bad game. Other then that, I dont give a ****.

I don't think you read my post at all.

I don't think you read my post at all.

Your point is, that I should not recommend/not recommend games that I did not played.

This isn't a videogame or boards thing, just logic. I'd bet Ryse is a muck game. But I can't say it is. I can just avoid it knowing I'm probably right.

You can't say "that movie is crap, I've seen the trailer". Well you can, but... its unusual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This "You have to play, before you can say its good or bad" is a new fad in boards.ie.

I don't think the fundamental practice of playing a game before stating a conclusive opinion is what many people would call a 'new fad'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

"It looks ****" for when you've seen footage of the game but not played it.

Or

"It is ****" for if you played it.

Same applies to a good game.

There. Problem solved, let's move on from this debate...

• Advertisement

There's more out there now than a monthly magazine with a score at the end, people have enough prior experience, let's plays, and gameplay demonstrations to build their own opinion.

This isn't a videogame or boards thing, just logic. I'd bet Ryse is a muck game. But I can't say it is. I can just avoid it knowing I'm probably right.

You can't say "that movie is crap, I've seen the trailer". Well you can, but... its unusual.

Yeah, and on boards.ie NO ONE EVER EVER said a game looks ****, will be ****, coming from **** developer, so it will be **** and so on.

I really love how you lads just got on my throat this time, because god forbid I said something bad to xbox one side, as I am marked as some sort of hater in this forum. Its funny how I am marked as PC fanboy, by console gamers, then I am called Sony fanboy by xbox Fanboys, I am called Nintendo hater, by Nintendo folk.
    Everyone have selective reading as I got **** to say about every single gaming device and I own/owned almost every single one in last and this generation. I LOVE gaming and gaming devices in general and there are no perfect machines out there, and I do love to point out **** in them, even if I still play on them. So far I have not owned only Xbox one, and I will one day ( as I have said countless times, but some people have selective reading and only call me out a troll and fanboy ) when I will be able to afford it and it will have actually something to offer.

This is a free speech country and I can voice my opinion about everything. Like all of you do, but just this time you decided to hang on my case. If you dont like my opinion, then Tough, I had my fun. Its a forum to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Yeah, and on boards.ie NO ONE EVER EVER said a game looks ****, will be ****, coming from **** developer, so it will be **** and so on.

I really love how you lads just got on my throat this time, because god forbid I said something bad to xbox one side, as I am marked as some sort of hater in this forum. Its funny how I am marked as PC fanboy, by console gamers, then I am called Sony fanboy by xbox Fanboys, I am called Nintendo hater, by Nintendo folk.
    Everyone have selective reading as I got **** to say about every single gaming device and I own/owned almost every single one in last and this generation. I LOVE gaming and gaming devices in general and there are no perfect machines out there, and I do love to point out **** in them, even if I still play on them. So far I have not owned only Xbox one, and I will one day ( as I have said countless times, but some people have selective reading and only call me out a troll and fanboy ) when I will be able to afford it and it will have actually something to offer.

This is a free speech country and I can voice my opinion about everything. Like all of you do, but just this time you decided to hang on my case. If you dont like my opinion, then Tough, I had my fun. Its a forum to discuss.

Free speech country
    not a free speech forum though:pac: as the mods love pointing out in the prison forum :L

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Free speech country
    not a free speech forum though:pac: as the mods love pointing out in the prison forum :L

Common sense is a thing. Rare, but still is.

Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Common sense is a thing. Rare, but still is.

yup , strange how everyone else doesn't agree with you on you're opinion
    but I suppose your using common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

"Free speech" (which doesn't exist on boards) also entitles people to call you out on your opinion based on nothing. You had a negative opinion of the WiiU till you bought one and changed your mind. You would think there would a small lesson in there but no, i suspect we will be reading your definitive opinions on all things you haven't played for the foreseeable future. This type of thing was all over the Titanfall thread at the start too, loads of people posting crap who hadn't even played the game, why bother...seriously?

This has nothing to do with it being about Xbox. I don't own one, and would consider myself to lean towards the Sony side. It's the matter that if somebody is genuinely interested in a game, any game at all, leave it to someone who has played the game to tell them about it or let them form them make their own decision on whether they'd like it based on actual reviews or gameplay.

Is it really that hard for you to just not post about it? Yell free country all you want, it's a matter of not being a dick and being able to realise that your opinion isn't so important that you need to give it on every single little topic, even ones you don't understand.

This comic is you: http://www.hotsaleshoe2013.com/mine.png
    Take the ball thingy as the opinion, and you're the guy on the right.

Davei141 wrote: »
    "Free speech" (which doesn't exist on boards) also entitles people to call you out on your opinion based on nothing. You had a negative opinion of the WiiU till you bought one and changed your mind. You would think there would a small lesson in there but no, i suspect we will be reading your definitive opinions on all things you haven't played for the foreseeable future. This type of thing was all over the Titanfall thread at the start too, loads of people posting crap who hadn't even played the game, why bother...seriously?

Selective reading like always. Even when I had no Wii U I would always recommend it as a console to have when you already have PS4/xbox one or a PC. I still hold this opinion, even if I really love it.
    I was not the one who cried that Nintendo will bankrupt or will go third party like Sega. Again, its always handy to pick out stuff out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

In fairness... anyone that recommends Ryse as something to buy an xbox one needs a slap. Would be like recommending Knack... I haven't played it but i'm pretty sure its garbage. Having an opinion on a game you haven't played is fine imo, yes it might not be as valid as someone who has played it but there is so much information available on the net that people can form pretty accurate picture on games without ever having to buy them.

Like the Titanfall thing, I pointed out many downfalls in the game pre-release that I could confirm post release (Bots making it boring etc). Look at it now, its practically dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement