Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Selective reading like always. Even when I had no Wii U I would always recommend it as a console to have when you already have PS4/xbox one or a PC. I still hold this opinion, even if I really love it.
    I was not the one who cried that Nintendo will bankrupt or will go third party like Sega. Again, its always handy to pick out stuff out of context.

I'll ask you this, what did you think of the people who were saying that stuff without playing the console? Saying the games were childish and the same games as always without playing them. Did you think their opinions were valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Davei141 wrote: »
    I'll ask you this, what did you think of the people who were saying that stuff without playing the console? Saying the games were childish and the same games as always without playing them. Did you think their opinions were valid?

The same people are probably the ones that have played Ryse and claiming that its actually good or that Titanfall is the greatest MP ever made.

Point is...some people are delusional.

Magill wrote: »
    The same people are probably the ones that have played Ryse and claiming that its actually good or that Titanfall is the greatest MP ever made.

Pretty sure nobody ever claimed Titanfall was the greatest MP ever made, but don't let that stop you posting nonsense as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think it's more so how definite you say it Shadow.. As in nearly every post is just it's complete **** which makes it sound like you've played it and thought it was terrible.

In comparison to "Well from what I've seen and heard it looks terrible.. I wouldn't be going near it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Maybe they did find it good? Is it too hard to believe that people have different opinions on the quality of a game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thats where common sense kicks in. you dont just fallow everything blindly. I never said everyones opinion is right, you choose whos opinion you can listen too and even then think, before making your own conclusion.

I heard so much **** about PC gaming on boards.ie by people who never played on pc. I wonder where is that rule of "not played, cant talk" was then? Pc gamers just were called Pricks and console haters. Oh yeah, because Majority of gamers here are console gamers.

Maybe they did find it good? Is it too hard to believe that people have different opinions on the quality of a game..

I don't think Magill can comprehend that if he doesn't like a game how can anyone else.

Thats where common sense kicks in. you dont just fallow everything blindly. I never said everyones opinion is right, you choose whos opinion you can listen too and even then think, before making your own conclusion.

I heard so much **** about PC gaming on boards.ie by people who never played on pc. I wonder where is that rule of "not played, cant talk" was then? Pc gamers just were called Pricks and console haters. Oh yeah, because Majority of gamers here are console gamers.

But you would dismiss those peoples opinions right away because they hold no weight right? I'm obviously not the only one who is fed up of reading opinions of people that mean nothing at all. Slagging off consoles/PC's/games that they haven't played, i really don't see the bloody point. The worst part about it is they expect their opinion to mean something vs somebody who has first hand experience with it.

Yeah im sure there are people that thought it was good, im some people think Titanfall was the best game ever (Yes Davei... people have said this on multiple occasions on here, failsafe for one) and im sure some people might even like knack... people having these opinions does not make them good/great games though.

Shadowhearth can watch some lets-plays, read some reviews and come to whatever conclusion he wants, doesn't make it fact... its just his opinion. Maybe hes a little blunt in his opinion but regulars on this forum know he rarely sugar coats his opinions. Don't get why everyones up in arms about it since unfounded opinions are certainly nothing new to this forum, as shadow has pointed out.

I don't think Magill can comprehend that if he doesn't like a game how can anyone else.

And you cant comprehend that something you like, does not mean everyone else will like and it does not automaticly make a good game.

I LOVE Monster Hunter and someone asked in Nintendo Forum about it. My first words were pretty much like this: "Its a game that is very hard to recommend as things that I love in it, other can find extremely bad". I wrote a post about and put up youtuber Projared review of it, which is a fantastic review that points out those negatives and positives of the game better then I ever could.

I love Monster Hunter, but only 0.1% of Boards like it with me ( I am pretty sure its only Baal and me lol ). I completely understand why people might not like it and fair enough.

• Advertisement

And you cant comprehend that something you like, does not mean everyone else will like and it does not automaticly make a good game.

I LOVE Monster Hunter and someone asked in Nintendo Forum about it. My first words were pretty much like this: "Its a game that is very hard to recommend as things that I love in it, other can find extremely bad". I wrote a post about and put up youtuber Projared review of it, which is a fantastic review that points out those negatives and positives of the game better then I ever could.

I love Monster Hunter, but only 0.1% of Boards like it with me ( I am pretty sure its only Baal and me lol ). I completely understand why people might not like it and fair enough.

That is completely fine. If somebody plays Monster Hunter and doesn't like it that is cool, everyone is entitled not to like something, but would you accept people calling it **** if they have never played it? Telling others to stay away like they have played it when they just heard from others it was crap?

But you would dismiss those peoples opinions right away because they hold no weight right? I'm obviously not the only one who is fed up of reading opinions of people that mean nothing at all. Slagging off consoles/PC's/games that they haven't played, i really don't see the bloody point. The worst part about it is they expect their opinion to mean something vs somebody who has first hand experience with it.

I did not dismissed their opinion because they have not played it. I dismissed their opinion, because I knew already that those games are being enjoyed by millions of adults, so it cannot be childish. Other members of boards.ie said that those games are very challenging even when they play it as adults, so thats another reason why I dismissed that opinion. I might not in to Mario games, but I do have respect for them and I know its a huge loved franchise. Mater of art style is different topic. Some people just dont like all cuty look of Mario and its fair enough.

Just because person have not played that game does not mean its 100% invalid. You take it for whats its worth to you.
    If we only used opinions of people who played the game, then we should not be allowed to make threads about games, which are not released for the next 1-2 years. It would make a very boring place.

That is completely fine. If somebody plays Monster Hunter and doesn't like it that is cool, everyone is entitled not to like something, but would you accept people calling it **** if they have never played it? Telling others to stay away like they have played it when they just heard from others it was crap?

I cant do anything about them calling it ****, I would ask him why he though it was ****, why is his opinion like this and work from there. ( I most likely put in a gif of something like "get the **** out" first for the lols ).
    I cant stop that person saying it was ****, all I can do is just put counter argument and try to show its not ****, but I wont close the whole debate and tell him that he is wrong, because he just not played it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I was disappointed with Halo 4 multiplayer, alright. Overall the game was ok, but it didn't get near to the feeling of Halo 2 for example, and I've sort of lost faith in any upcoming Halo games, so it'd be great if Destiny had that Halo feel with a great multiplayer.

I quite enjoyed the majority of the halo 4 story and played multiplayer for ages, quite the opposite of you I have a lot of hope for the upcoming titles, perspective is a funny thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Maps are so important to me and Halo always had great maps, but I found H4's... I dunno. Not that enjoyable. And yet they were still better than anything you'd find in COD, imo.

If Halo 5 turns out to be incredible, that could very well be the game that entices me to buy the One.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maps are so important to me and Halo always had great maps, but I found H4's... I dunno. Not that enjoyable. And yet they were still better than anything you'd find in COD, imo.

If Halo 5 turns out to be incredible, that could very well be the game that entices me to buy the One.

I hear ya and agree that they definitely could have been better, still think 343 did a solid job with their first halo outing and it seemed clear they had fans of the franchise working on it, I just hope H4 was their peak cos that'd suck :D

@ShadowHearth I guess i am just completely wired differently, especially when it comes to games i prefer to discuss mostly things i have enjoyed, way too much negativity in this place without adding stuff that hasn't been played.

I haven't played Halo 3&4 so the masterchief collection should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Yeah im sure there are people that thought it was good, im some people think Titanfall was the best game ever (Yes Davei... people have said this on multiple occasions on here, failsafe for one) and im sure some people might even like knack... people having these opinions does not make them good/great games though.

Shadowhearth can watch some lets-plays, read some reviews and come to whatever conclusion he wants, doesn't make it fact... its just his opinion. Maybe hes a little blunt in his opinion but regulars on this forum know he rarely sugar coats his opinions. Don't get why everyones up in arms about it since unfounded opinions are certainly nothing new to this forum, as shadow has pointed out.

It makes them good games for them. That's what is important.

Some people here shouldn't think that their opinion is so highly thought of, that they need to share it on things they don't know about. It really isn't that hard just to not post, and let someone else who might be able to give better insight post instead. Unless you think "it's ****" is insightful.

still think 343 did a solid job with their first halo outing and it seemed clear they had fans of the franchise working on it, I just hope H4 was their peak cos that'd suck :D

They did what was a tough job really well to be fair, and I remember being quite happy with it for a while but yeah, once the maps stopped holding my interest it was hard to not feel disappointed and I found a lot of Halo fans on my list gave up on it quicker than I'd have expected.

That kinda goes for a lot of games now though.

It makes them good games for them. That's what is important.

Some people here shouldn't think that their opinion is so highly thought of, that they need to share it on things they don't know about. It really isn't that hard just to not post, and let someone else who might be able to give better insight post instead. Unless you think "it's ****" is insightful.

I don't really give a **** if you dont think highly of my opinion or someone else in fact, I will repeat it: take it for what's it's worth. It will never stop me from giving one thats for sure. I will share my opinion as much as I like. If someone finds it useful - good. If someone ignores it, good too.
    I know enough that Ryse is ****. I just did not played it to say **** first hand. I won't be buying xbox one with Ryse any time soon just to satisfy your "did not played - not valid". Thanks to information and other people opinions I found I better Way spend money. I got wii u, and so far it was a great choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

They did what was a tough job really well to be fair, and I remember being quite happy with it for a while but yeah, once the maps stopped holding my interest it was hard to not feel disappointed and I found a lot of Halo fans on my list gave up on it quicker than I'd have expected.

That kinda goes for a lot of games now though.

Only thing that annoyed me with halo 4 was that pretty much all the multiplayer was big maps and team events.

Whatever happened to good ol everyone's out for themselves shoot everyone you see action. I miss that.

There was one. I can't remember the name of it but if you killed the guy winning you got more points and less if you killed someone else. That was good.

Overall though Halo 4 was a solid game but Halo 3 was my favourite Halo by far. Soooooo many hours lost to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Only thing that annoyed me with halo 4 was that pretty much all the multiplayer was big maps and team events.

Whatever happened to good ol everyone's out for themselves shoot everyone you see action. I miss that.

There was one. I can't remember the name of it but if you killed the guy winning you got more points and less if you killed someone else. That was good.

Overall though Halo 4 was a solid game but Halo 3 was my favourite Halo by far. Soooooo many hours lost to it.

I enjoyed all the halos, loved halo 4. Really liked the maps as well, only thing I hated were the spin offs. Could of done without them to be honest, seemed as if they were only releasing them for an extra few quid using the halo name to get people to buy it.
    Lastest example is halo spartan assault , awful game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK, putting a stop to this whole 'have to play a game to have an opinion on it' discussion as it seems people can't play nice or discuss it civilly. It's also wildly off topic, even for this thread. Any more replies will be deleted and acted on.

I think map design in multiplayer games lately has taken a hit. Unreal Tournament and Halo had great maps which were instantly memorable, probably due to being symmetrical in the right places and just being well balanced.

Killzone 2 had a few great ones too and even Uncharted 2, maybe I'm just very particular about them, but good maps breath a lot of life into multiplayer and uninspired ones do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I enjoyed all the halos, loved halo 4. Really liked the maps as well, only thing I hated were the spin offs. Could of done without them to be honest, seemed as if they were only releasing them for an extra few quid using the halo name to get people to buy it.
    Lastest example is halo spartan assault , awful game

I found Halo Wars pretty good. I felt it adapted RTSs to console fairly well.

Reach is probably my favourite of any kind though, although I loved 4 as well and felt 343 did an excellent 1st game.

I think map design in multiplayer games lately has taken a hit. Unreal Tournament and Halo had great maps which were instantly memorable, probably due to being symmetrical in the right places and just being well balanced.

Killzone 2 had a few great ones too and even Uncharted 2, maybe I'm just very particular about them, but good maps breath a lot of life into multiplayer and uninspired ones do the opposite.

Yeah, good maps are so important to a games success. People talk about some recent games saying there isn't enough content. Really what they mean is the content is not good enough. Just have to look at csgo... People have been playing these maps for over 14 years at this stage and it's still growing.

A solid foundation and well designed maps go a long way.

Anytime I played a new map in Counterstrike, I had that map imbedded in my head after one game. It wasn't because they were boring, but just so well designed that they made sense.

Halo was great at putting in subtle landmarks to give the map carachter and a sense of where you were. I'm not at all impressed with many of the maps in BF4, to be honest. KZ:SF was fairly meh on the maps front.

I have to agree about multiplayer maps not being up to scratch lately, although i did enjoy the Titanfall maps, very few if any you would want to skip which is a rarity today. COD Ghosts maps were atrocious apart from a small few, BF4 had some gems but the majority were horrible, especially in the China Rising DLC. It is such a shame as multiplayer FPS thrives off good maps.

Me and a friend used to make some well enough received maps in Farcry 2. And Halo 3.

I was infuriated that they didn't let you use custom maps online properly in FC3 because they wanted to follow the COD way of doing things. The leveling up and unlocking way of doing things seems to have coincided with the dropping quality of maps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's important, before you have enough info to form an opinion you yourself can trust, to find a magazine, website or similar, with whom you have found to be a decent judge of a games quality, then take their opinion on board before you form your own.
    That works for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement