Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Ha ha this thread gets better and better. Just a quick oppinion on the controller backwards compatibility: The Xbox one doesn't support 360 pads, fair enough you might say, the new controller adds many new features that the old one lacks. The problem I have is I use a fight stick, I spent a lot of money on it and don't see why I should have to buy an identical product to use on a system that before launch was shown in videos and on expo floors using 360 fight sticks. Yet magically they are incpmpatible now. It's the main reason I'm not playing killer instinct. Backwards controller compatibility is software based and easily added, if the controllers don't work for the individual games that's either for the developer to sort or its just bad luck. Saying companies can't give customers the option is a bit urrrggh

Anyway. Ryse I have played and its worth under €20, Id actually say wait till it hits under €15 and give it a shot. Its... Meh.

EDIT: what ciderman said above I agree with, I have a few sources I like to get an opinion from before I try a game myself, sometimes I'll just try one anyway or go with the complete opposite a friend d recommends (he has terrible taste :D)
    I actually enjoyed Too Human, so I suppose my oppinion is not wortg much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Danonino. wrote: »
    Ha ha this thread gets better and better. Just a quick oppinion on the controller backwards compatibility: The Xbox one doesn't support 360 pads, fair enough you might say, the new controller adds many new features that the old one lacks. The problem I have is I use a fight stick, I spent a lot of money on it and don't see why I should have to buy an identical product to use on a system that before launch was shown in videos and on expo floors using 360 fight sticks. Yet magically they are incpmpatible now. It's the main reason I'm not playing killer instinct. Backwards controller compatibility is software based and easily added, if the controllers don't work for the individual games that's either for the developer to sort or its just bad luck. Saying companies can't give customers the option is a bit urrrggh

Anyway. Ruse I have played and its worth under €20, Id actually say wait till it hits under €15 and give it a shot. Its... Meh.

companies will not allow BC on big accessories like that they make too much off them. these shady practices (in collaboration with both Sony and MS) keep them in the fightstick business

Im buying a razer atrox when its released for the one but i would have been pissed if i bought the 360 version given it costs €200

The demos before launch were all on PC so using 360 controls wasnt an issue (X input takes care of it')

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Yeah, they're jerks alright :pac:

Microsoft/Sony may have a lot of say in weather 3rd party stuff is compatible or not, I mean the MadCatz TE 2 will work on both PS3 and 4 at a flick of a switch but the Xbox version is locked to 360. There is a Madcatz stick for the One, so what you say is probably right. Its a profit thing, but its not working my end. I haven't bought a stick, killer instinct or any of it's DLC. There will hopefully be a workaround soon in the form of a soft mod or something.

(Source)http://madcatz.com/mad-catz-brings-the-fight-home-with-ultra-street-fighter-iv-products/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Steering wheel support is dreadful all around.

You could use G27 on PS3 and PC, but not on PS4 anymore. Who knows, maybe they will add support for it when Drive club is out.
    MS on the other hand just said: "**** yourself San Diego". Only very expensive wheels that were supported on 360 and so far only very new wheels are supported on Xbox one.

Annoying to say the least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was never so disappointed when I found my GT Force feedback wheel didn't work with the Sega Rally arcade port on the PS2, the wheel works but not the feedback, would have been all sorts of awesome :(

Sorry, just thought I'd mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was never so disappointed when I found my GT Force feedback wheel didn't work with the Sega Rally arcade port on the PS2, the wheel works but not the feedback, would have been all sorts of awesome :(

Sorry, just thought I'd mention it.

Cool it works at all considering its an import game.

I got one for 30quid on adverts recently. Been playing the hell out of gran turismo 4.

Was hopin I could getting it workin with 360 with a Playstation to 360 converter kinda like the one I have so I can use my old ps1 Namco stick for street fighter 4 but alas no go unless someone can correct me with a work around.

Because the GT wheel is USB the one I use to get the Namco stick working isn't an option as it requires the ps2 controller port to then go USB into the 360.

I bought a ps3 to 360 converter from dealextreme out of curiosity as it's USB to USB but no go.

Anyway yeah I'd love to have sega rally on the ps2. Keep meaning to get it chipped for this reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

Install times on X1 have been ridiculous since I purchased it. Seriously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Corvo wrote: »
    Install times on X1 have been ridiculous since I purchased it. Seriously bad.

its not the install, your actually downloading the updates for the game also while installing it (I know its stupid) so if you have a bad connection like me
    the install takes forever
    only way to stop it is to disconnect you're xbox from the internet

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    its not the install, your actually downloading the updates for the game also while installing it (I know its stupid) so if you have a bad connection like me
    the install takes forever
    only way to stop it is to disconnect you're xbox from the internet

See thing is I can stream/play online with absolutely no problems (well, that was on the 360) but the install/download with this is now ridiculous.

Anyway to speed it up? Apologies, I'm not the most techy. I'm using Vodafone broadband.

Corvo wrote: »
    See thing is I can stream/play online with absolutely no problems (well, that was on the 360) but the install/download with this is now ridiculous.

Anyway to speed it up? Apologies, I'm not the most techy. I'm using Vodafone broadband.

I am also looking for ways to speed it up:p so far the only advice I've gotten is get a new internet :pac: eircom efibre like taking their time though!

weird thing is I can play online without any lag most days I am on, but when downloading something, hell when I am downloading anything it takes hours, took me 6hours to download destiny, even with these day one updates for games which are quite large, annoys me so much having to wait to play the bloody thing

• Advertisement

Yeah, exact same here. Can't I install directly, i.e. Without Xbox Live / internet connection and get it done, then maybe install updates upon starting it up? Might be quicker.

I'll have a look at Eircoms fibre, but think Vodafone were also meant to be going this route.

Feel like tearing my hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gone with a PS4 and should be arriving tomorrow. Two mates have one and I was very impressed with it. Granted I've only had a couple of games of FIFA on it but I liked the feel of the controller and looks a great machine.

I haven't really been keeping up to date as to how Xbox One is doing right now but price point is a big factor in my choice.

I might pick up an Xbox One at a later date but it seems that PS4 will be my console of choice this gen unless there's a rake of serious exclusives on Microsoft's end or a significant price drop.

Have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 as it is but personally have used the PS3 more than its counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They did hack off that useless Kinect thing and are selling it without the ball and chain for the same price as PS4, now I think.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gone with a PS4 and should be arriving tomorrow. Two mates have one and I was very impressed with it. Granted I've only had a couple of games of FIFA on it but I liked the feel of the controller and looks a great machine.

I haven't really been keeping up to date as to how Xbox One is doing right now but price point is a big factor in my choice.

I might pick up an Xbox One at a later date but it seems that PS4 will be my console of choice this gen unless there's a rake of serious exclusives on Microsoft's end or a significant price drop.

Have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 as it is but personally have used the PS3 more than its counterpart.

xbox one price has gone way down, but exclusives I'd agree theirs very little to pull interest in for ms at the moment. Most of the interesting ones are either a year or two away or theirs f all info about them.

Fifa plays alot different on the next gen consoles though imo, feels alot smoother, I don't normally play fifa much but have loved it since I switched to next gen. The players don't seem to fumble with the ball as much and the touch passes seem alot better

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I noticed a question in the PS4 megathread regarding warranty (how a US bought console won't be covered by warranty in the EU) and was wondering what the situation is regarding Xbox warranty, is it the same policy as what sony have?

Now, I have zero interest in ordering a console from the states - way way more hassle than it's worth IMO - but I am curious about their policy all the same as Sony's stance seems quite like the Sony of old, the Sony whose POV I didn't agree with on a lot of things, the Sony who I stopped buying any electronic device from after the PS2, the anti-consumer rootkit school of thought Sony.

So does anyone know what Microsoft's stance is re:warranty of a US console in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Microsoft is actually worse.

If you import a PS4 or One from the US you've got a US warranty and need to deal with them and probably ship it back at your own expense, but if you've imported a ONE from one part of the EU to another due to the staggered launch then while you have a warranty that will cover you here in Europe you need to contact the country you imported from as your local MS support won't be able to help yet due to the system not releasing yet (not an issue for Ireland).

While MS deal manly in software or services outside of xbox they don't trend to have international warranties what will be honoured by their regional counterparts, and Sony only tend to do it on some of the products (mostly cameras and non-consumer products).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks Varik, I guess I won't get that goodwill feeling from either company :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks Varik, I guess I won't get that goodwill feeling from either company :P

Absolutely not, they all want your monies at the end of the day, its just up to you who you choose to furnish your hard earned towards... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm surprised how different The Last of Us looks @ 60fps compared to 30. Naughty Gods strike again.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-the-last-of-us-remastered

Hopefully this will be the standard going forward for all next gen games. Shame Destiny isn't at 60

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure the standard will be 30 FPS with only very few hitting 60. CoD, Platinum and Nintendo titles are the best hope for 60FPS. 30 FPS is just too tempting for developers. Eye candy is easier to translate and show when advertising than the promise or 60 FPS.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure the standard will be 30 FPS with only very few hitting 60. CoD, Platinum and Nintendo titles are the best hope for 60FPS. 30 FPS is just too tempting for developers. Eye candy is easier to translate and show when advertising than the promise or 60 FPS.

More than their own advertising as well, all the let's plays and WTF's from Youtubers tend to be limited to 30FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    More than their own advertising as well, all the let's plays and WTF's from Youtubers tend to be limited to 30FPS.

I though youtube going to get upgraded to 60 very soon? Should finally show average Joe how much 60 fps is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

IGN Review of the last of us made my head spin when the reviewer said there was people at IGN that preferred the game at 30FPS than 60FPS

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

IGN Review of the last of us made my head spin when the reviewer said there was people at IGN that preferred the game at 30FPS than 60FPS

I read the review a couple of times trying to figure out where they said that but I can't see it anywhere. My teenage mastubatory habits must be catching up with because I think I'm going blind.

Tbf though, if that makes your head spin you might have a low blood sugar count.

I read the review a couple of times trying to figure out where they said that but I can't see it anywhere. My teenage mastubatory habits must be catching up with because I think I'm going blind.

Tbf though, if that makes your head spin you might have a low blood sugar count.

1:03 to 1:20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah right, I thought you were talking about the written review.

Wouldn't bother to be honest. Different people like different things. I like shaving me tisnt but I know it's not for everybody. As long as it's not restricted to that one option. Wasn't this debate already bashed out?

Ah right, I thought you were talking about the written review.

Wouldn't bother to be honest. Different people like different things. I like shaving me tisnt but I know it's not for everybody. As long as it's not restricted to that one option. Wasn't this debate already bashed out?

30FPS is playable if you were accustomed to it , If I had the option though I would always choose 60

but if I can beat Fallout 3 DLC on ps3 at 0FPS then I can of course enjoy 30 :P

I though youtube going to get upgraded to 60 very soon? Should finally show average Joe how much 60 fps is better.

Ye, but that doesn't help if the uploaders are still capturing at 30 fps.

most external consumer level capture devices are still 30 fps, the fact that some allow passthrought (what you see on you screen as you're playing and capturing video) 60 fps is even rare enough now.

• IGN Review of the last of us made my head spin when the reviewer said there was people at IGN that preferred the game at 30FPS than 60FPS

Why? This continues to be an issue for some people.
    Both options are there so use your preferred.

Think we have debated this topic to death...but in relation to the specifics of this game it sounds like it's had an effect on the pacing of the game-play and this is why some people prefer it at 30 and others at 60.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I have little doubt this game runs significantly better at 60FPS, I have to confess for a few months I had involuntary spasms when I saw anything running in a high frame rate following a screening of The Hobbit in horrid HFR :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement