Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Microwho ?? Didn't know they confirmed the non-exclusivity thing. Really want to see this on PC, seems like the perfect platform for a game like this, much like minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Fieldog wrote: »
    This wouldn't really be a good deal for me (personally) but I can see the appeal to the masses of EA fans who lap up their games -

I won't be buying any BF game at launch ever again after BF4, I'm burned with the franchise over it...

I don't buy yearly installments of Fifa generally, the way most of my mates would, so if they call over, they bring their Fifa with them...

On the other hand, a service like this could make me try the likes of Tiger Woods (or PGA whatever they are calling it now) as it is not something I would pay money for outright...

A 10% discount on a digital copy of a game does not suit me as I like boxed titles regardless...

Other than that its a good offering for EA heads but don't foresee it as a system seller or anything...

It works really well for me.

If there is even one game I want in the vault that more than pays for the service. We are talking about €23 a year for the service.

10% off and early access to games to try out is a great bonus which I will using. EA always has games that I would like to play but would be hesitant to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think the EA deal is decent value if your into the games on offer,with EAs catlogue though id say the titles will be predictable. Fifa,madden,bf etc

Only one i would be interested in is BF,chances are id have it already though. None the less as these are the first group of games there could be games id be interested in if the service continues.

To me this is EA trying to get in on the second hand market,they have history here,anyone remember those awful €10 online passes for second hand games? This way they get a small fee and you get a cheap game,albeit an older title.

IMO EA are scum,and i do not trust them at all,hopefully theres no sting in the tail here. If its wildly successful i can see EA just ramping up the price because.....thats just what EA do!!

Dear god though,people saying its saving $250 and then have the audacity to say "people in this thread" cant accept facts. The same person who wouldnt answer why he was paying full price for games when only weeks ago he was getting them for $20 through totally legitimate and MS approved ways:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Please note that Miju has received a lengthy ban for his carry on in this thread, so please no more quoting of his posts or arguments as he's not here to defend them or himself. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some more news about PS Now which is launching as a open beta tomorrow in the US.
    As has been mentioned previously, Sony is looking into offering a flat subscription fee model for its upcoming PlayStation Now game streaming service in addition to the a la carte pricing currently seen in the private beta.

"We're working diligently to bring a subscription option to gamers to compliment our rental offering for PlayStation Now," said Buser. "We believe that offering both of these options would provide gamers the freedom to discover and play games in ways that weren't before possible."

Buser couldn't offer concrete details about when such an option might become available, and was careful to note that nothing was set in stone. Pricing for PlayStation Now rentals as they exist now are still in flux, with Buser stating that they'll be looking at feedback from users throughout the beta process. Some games will be offered at a rental price as low as $1.99 - one dollar lower than the current lowest price in the private beta. Buser also mentioned that a "rent-to-buy" solution is also being considered, but that with the service still being in its early days, it's simply too soon to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

For me XBOX ONE, great support, maybe not 1080p but 900p and working servers and good games?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5954553/ps3-ps4-xbox-360-xbox-one-sony-microsoft-financial-results-2014

Sony's latest financial report reveals PlayStation consoles outsold Xbox systems three to one in Q1 2014.

The company does not confirm how many PS3 and PS4 consoles were sold separately, stating only that combined sales totalled 3.5 million units in the first quarter of this year. Comparatively, last year the company saw sales of 1.1 million in the same pariod.

Microsoft's financial report for this first quarter was announced last week, revealing total combined shipping figures for Xbox One and Xbox 360 sit at 1.1 million, meaning during the first three months of the financial year PlayStation outsold Xbox 3:1.

Sony has also confirmed ¥257.5 billion (or roughly $2.5 billion) generated in sales from Sony's Games & Network Services division, which is attributed to the launch of the PS4.

3:1 now it seems to be outselling the Xbox, that's a crazy amount of a difference, I thought it was 2:1...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5954553/ps3-ps4-xbox-360-xbox-one-sony-microsoft-financial-results-2014

Sony's latest financial report reveals PlayStation consoles outsold Xbox systems three to one in Q1 2014.

The company does not confirm how many PS3 and PS4 consoles were sold separately, stating only that combined sales totalled 3.5 million units in the first quarter of this year. Comparatively, last year the company saw sales of 1.1 million in the same pariod.

Microsoft's financial report for this first quarter was announced last week, revealing total combined shipping figures for Xbox One and Xbox 360 sit at 1.1 million, meaning during the first three months of the financial year PlayStation outsold Xbox 3:1.

Sony has also confirmed ¥257.5 billion (or roughly $2.5 billion) generated in sales from Sony's Games & Network Services division, which is attributed to the launch of the PS4.

3:1 now it seems to be outselling the Xbox, that's a crazy amount of a difference, I thought it was 2:1...

But Xbox One has great support, 900p, working servers and good games!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

In fairness that's before the kinectless Xbox.

It's probably 2:1 now I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Without starting a flame war I am not sure what exactly how Microsoft are going to turn Xbox ONe around.

Given what happened last gen Microsoft had a year start , easy to develop for console for developers , a better online infurstructure and still managed to get outsold by sony in the end.

I cannot see things being any different here as I firmly believe Sony are going to have more exclusives since they own most house Studios and being the most powerful console and pretty much bettered everything than was the Playstation 3 in terms of online , power , ease of use for developers and being more friendly for indies it seems sony are going to destory competition.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    But Xbox One has great support, 900p, working servers and good games!

I love me some 900p, what are these good games you speak of? Ryse? :)

Yet no one is buying it unfortunately, and any mates of mine that bought it returned it to GS within 28 days - worrying times ahead for it...

I thought they clawed back a bit of the US at least....

I don't want it to be "this gens Dreamcast" over one ****ty year at E3, I thought they had a good show though this year....

Yet no one is buying it unfortunately, and any mates of mine that bought it returned it to GS within 28 days - worrying times ahead for it...

I don't want it to be "this gens Dreamcast" over one ****ty year at E3, I thought they had a good show though this year....

Clearly my joke went over your head! Read the post above yours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Microsoft will close the gap further down the line. Don't know if they'll catch up or surpass PS4, but the gap will narrow. They just had the absolute worst start possible, which was almost completely their own fault. But in fairness to them they've made some great strides in getting people back on side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nintendo sold more than Microsoft in Q1 since every company is grouping sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Penn wrote: »
    Microsoft will close the gap further down the line. Don't know if they'll catch up or surpass PS4, but the gap will narrow. They just had the absolute worst start possible, which was almost completely their own fault. But in fairness to them they've made some great strides in getting people back on side.

By closing the gap do you mean in terms of overall sales or quarterly sales ?

I don't really see how they would sell more in any given quarter outside of NA. Sony would have to make some crazy poor decisions to squash the momentum it has worldwide imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's got a hell of a long way to go to match the Dreamcast. It needs some good games first.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's got a hell of a long way to go to match the Dreamcast. It needs some good games first.

Absolutely,

DC was my fave short lived console...

Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio etc

I remember launch day like it was yesterday ...

9/9/99

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Magill wrote: »
    By closing the gap do you mean in terms of overall sales or quarterly sales ?

I don't really see how they would sell more in any given quarter outside of NA. Sony would have to make some crazy poor decisions to squash the momentum it has worldwide imo.

Sorry, yes, quarterly/monthly sales worldwide. Basically selling closer to 1:1 on average. But yeah there'd have to be some monumental failures on Sony's part and huge rewards on Microsoft's part to close the existing gap in terms of overall sales from release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Without starting a flame war I am not sure what exactly how Microsoft are going to turn Xbox ONe around.

Given what happened last gen Microsoft had a year start , easy to develop for console for developers , a better online infurstructure and still managed to get outsold by sony in the end.

I cannot see things being any different here as I firmly believe Sony are going to have more exclusives since they own most house Studios and being the most powerful console and pretty much bettered everything than was the Playstation 3 in terms of online , power , ease of use for developers and being more friendly for indies it seems sony are going to destory competition.

I agree. The xbox doesn't seem to have any apparent advantage like last gen.

Plus there's no more RRoD, so less people buying multiple consoles. I know loads of people on their 3rd console, a lot of which had to be bought outside of the warranty.

I be interested to see just how seriously Microsoft is willing to take its gaming division seriously because it cannot soley rely on multiplats this time around. Needs to invest heavily into in-house studios or into securing other studios making exclusive games.

Timed dlc for call of duty is not going to cut it anymore as the fad for cod is dying off.

Whatever the case the gamers will come out on top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I be interested to see just how seriously Microsoft is willing to take its gaming division seriously because it cannot soley rely on multiplats this time around. Needs to invest heavily into in-house studios or into securing other studios making exclusive games.

Timed dlc for call of duty is not going to cut it anymore as the fad for cod is dying off.

Whatever the case the gamers will come out on top

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2014/07/17/microsoft-closing-xbox-entertainment-studio/12792105/

^^ not that seriously.

Lads when ye are done in the showers slapping each other with wet towels celebrating let me know, others need to use the shower :pac:

Great PS4 sales, not really any new news there. Although Sony is in trouble. Xbox is picking up pace really quickly. Its not like the last gen when it took many years for the PS3 to catch up with the 360.

Sony shot itself in the foot only the other day with the passing over of the EA Access deal because "it isn't good value to the PlayStation gamer" :rolleyes:
    All it takes are a few little victories like these every now and then on Xb1 :D

The Xbox division just seems to keep their head down and work hard on getting things done. OS updates and new features are flying out every 3-4 weeks. Features keep getting implemented that Xbox gamers suggest from the XB1 owner feedback website. I think Sony Gaming are getting a bit smug and complacent now like Microsoft where in the 360 era.

The gap is narrowing very quickly.
    Just recently we seen Destiny got upped from 900p to 1080p due to Microsoft showing Bungie how to get more from the Xbox One SDK. The new kit was only released a month ago and it gives developers more of the GPU that was previously reserved for Kinect.

I am starting to hate the way both Microsoft and Sony are combining their sales figures. Microsoft is combining the Xbox One and 360 while Sony combine the PS3 and Ps4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Did you read the post you quoted or the article you linked?

lol, that's their TV studio. Not a games studio :D

Lads when ye are done in the showers slapping each other with wet towels celebrating let me know, others need to use the shower :pac:

Great PS4 sales, not really any new news there. Although Sony is in trouble. Xbox is picking up pace really quickly. Its not like the last gen when it took many years for the PS3 to catch up with the 360.

Sony shot itself in the foot only the other day with the passing over of the EA Access deal because "it isn't good value to the PlayStation gamer" :rolleyes:

The Xbox division just seems to keep their head down and work hard on getting things down. OS updates and new features are flying out every 3-4 weeks. Features keep getting implemented that Xbox gamers suggest from the XB1 owner feedback website. I think Sony Gaming are getting a bit smug and complacent now like Microsoft where in the 360 era.

Just recently we seen Destiny got upped from 900p to 1080p due to Microsoft showing Bungie how to get more from the Xbox One SDK. The new kit was only released a month ago and it gives developers more of the GPU that was previously reserved for Kinect.

I am starting to hate the way both Microsoft and Sony are combining their sales figures. Microsoft is combining the Xbox One and 360 while Sony combine the PS3 and Ps4.

I do not think EA deal with Xbox is that big of a deal , Ea are not as influential than they were in the past. Ubisoft is the bigger publisher now and they have been friendly with sony for quite awhile.

Sony is far from in trouble , 3:1 is too big for a company like Microsoft who invested too much and the gap is getting bigger while more Xbox users come over to the Ps4 there friends, cousins and people they have played with will follow suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The Xbox division just seems to keep their head down and work hard on getting things down. OS updates and new features are flying out every 3-4 weeks. Features keep getting implemented that Xbox gamers suggest from the XB1 owner feedback website. I think Sony Gaming are getting a bit smug and complacent now like Microsoft where in the 360 era.

MS need to show their dedication to exclusives, not multiplats and timed DLCs that skated them by last gen.

Also, they need to start opening up first party studios. Until they start doing that I'm not going to believe this is anything different to the 360 where the bare minimum was done in regards to exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

lol, that's their TV studio. Not a games studio :D

FML :o

You really do nothing to help your cause of trying to persuade people to get an Xbox One. In particular, your first sentence. Really no need for that bull, you're not doing yourself any favours.

It's fairly pants that Microsoft have to show companies how to get the most out of their consoles. Could you imagine how much that would cost them if they had to do that with every game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Well it's sales before kinectless Xbox one so I doubt it's 3ta1 now probably 2ta1. Ms need to invest more into exclusives as they have the money for it. Their way to focused on getting exclusive content for the likes of cod etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

There is a far more sensible debate on reddit for the pros and cons of both consoles. My advice for anyone reading this thread for info on which to get, go elsewhere, some of the arguments on here are laughable and childish!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement