Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You got to be kidding me? Nothing of interest at all. Killzone? Froneza driving yawn.

Watchdogs was the only one of interest.

Like I said... If you have a wide interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Grayditch wrote: »
    Like I said... If you have a wide interest.
    Wide interest suggests wide interest in genre... Which is technically true, but the execution of the games within the genres has been lacking. The games aren't exactly worth writing home about, in fairness. It's nothing to do with how wide ones interests are, unless you are including width of acceptance for quality in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Magill wrote: »
    I keep hearing people talk about the xbox beign an "All in one". What exactly does that mean ? The only things i'd want my console to do are

- Play games ( All reports suggest games will run better on PS4 ? )
    - Watch Movies ( Netflix and bluray on both consoles ? )

What exactly does the xbox do that the PS4 can't that is actually useful and what are these different revenue streams ?

It means it can do all your media related things, movies, talk to family through skype, browse the web, watch sports, movies etc through lots of amazing apps*

*Many apps only available in US

Quality is subjective for the most part. There's shooters, retro games, racing games, zombie slashers, FTP shooters and war plane sims, FIFA , NBA and Madden for the sports, Assasin's creed, Marvel Lego game for the kids.

My point is, if your interest will stretch to 3 or 4 of those games, it's not a bad launch for either console.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

It means it can do all your media related things, movies, talk to family through skype, browse the web, watch sports, movies etc through lots of amazing apps*

*Many apps only available in US

So only thing it can do that the PS4 can't is skype ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

and yet people still say its not a gaming machine and yet the ps4 is :rolleyes: both are the exact same regarding entertainment and playing games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, none of the wonderful games that are launch titles with the two new machines are making waves in terms of review scores.
    Resogun is probably an exception.
    The other decent games seem to be available across the various formats, not only not enhancing any single console, and available in pretty good shape on the 360 and PS3, not to mention the WiiU in the case of many.
    If you bought one, good for you, but you're only fooling yourself if you are trying to convince that there is something special about the launch lineups for either console.
    Some folk seem to be reporting the best thing is the speed of the menus.... oh dear.....
    Titanfall, Driveclub and Destiny seem to be the only games I can name that I'd spend money on, and I'll have to wait until next year to get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, and the lack of streaming options on the PS4 is a killer, you have to use their own applications to gain access to a video library, what a pain, it was one of the nicest features of the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think "gaming warz" just went from Console vs PC, to Old gen vs New gen vs PC.

I got my PS4 and very very happy. Yhough one thing I noticed about people lately:

Who ever say there are no games on ps4 or Xbox on - Are full of shiet.

Who ever say that improvement on New gen are minimal - Are full of shiet.

In a way I am finding that part of gamers trying to make new gen look as bad as possible, because they cant afford it ( if you cant afford it, then it is completely normal, it is a lot of money to spend on a entertainment device, I was collecting money since April for my PS4 ) and illusion that it so completely bad makes them feel a bit better by staying with PS3/360.

Argument - there are plenty of good games on old gen... well yeah, there are, but everything that I wanted to play on old gen I played or own already. I am not going to go back and replay it again, just because, you know, old gen is awesome.
    And if I am playing multiplatform games on console, I might as well play them at best possible ( for console ) way. I am honestly very impressed with what PS4 can do for 399eu, and that is coming from PC gamer. I cant even go back to PS3 at this stage.

And Skype may end up going to the PS4.

http://www.handytips.info/1567/microsoft-we-want-skype-on-ps4/

The idea that "MS are focusing on non-gaming and Sony are focusing on gaming" clearly has no factual basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tv integration. It has a hdmi input that the ps4 does not....which means you can plug any device into it....even a ps4.

Is that a big deal? Debatable but its something it has that the competition doesnt. You cant just ignore it because it hurts your argument. The kinect 2 is also substantially better than the playstion camera. Now both are pretty garbage for gaming but thats not the point really.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you bought one, good for you, but you're only fooling yourself if you are trying to convince that there is something special about the launch lineups for either console.

I haven't seen many, if any say that the launch line up is anything special, but I'm happy if they're that happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Some folk seem to be reporting the best thing is the speed of the menus.... oh dear.....
    Titanfall, Driveclub and Destiny seem to be the only games I can name that I'd spend money on, and I'll have to wait until next year to get it.

I don't think anyone here has said the PS4 or Xbox one is special. I'm very happy to have my PS4 but if I didn't have it I'd be fine too. After all it is a hobby. No one is forcing anyone to buy next gen, current gen or PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The launch line up for both consoles is fine. Its actually the best line up we've ever had. Is there a standout mario 64 type game? No but there is plenty of quality accross a myriad of genres.

People are way too critical and needy these days. "That game is rubbish!". No its not. It might not be your taste but that is not representative of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here has said the PS4 or Xbox one is special. I'm very happy to have my PS4 but if I didn't have it I'd be fine too. After all it is a hobby. No one is forcing anyone to buy next gen, current gen or PCs.

I think a lot of people still forget that this is a luxory item it all boils down if you can afford it or not. If everyohne could afford it, there would be no discussion.

Is it me or this thread completely derailed from what people are getting between Xbox one and PS4 and went it to full blast old gen vs new gen.

Is it me or this thread completely derailed from what people are getting between Xbox one and PS4 and went it to full blast old gen vs new gen.
    If PC posts aren't derailing the thread, then people talking about the right time to jump in to next gen must be less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kirby wrote: »
    Tv integration. It has a hdmi input that the ps4 does not....which means you can plug any device into it....even a ps4.

Is that a big deal? Debatable but its something it has that the competition doesnt. You cant just ignore it because it hurts your argument. The kinect 2 is also substantially better than the playstion camera. Now both are pretty garbage for gaming but thats not the point really.

I wasn't arguing, just asking what this whole All-in-one stuff was about, since both systems kind of do the same ****.

I've heard that there is quite a lot of latency with the HDMI input ? Guess it would be useful for watching sky or something.

How exactly is the kinect substantially better than the ps eye ? Serious question, i've seen videos from both and they seem very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Some fella gave up on fifa there so I wasnt arsed scoring loads of goals I snaped twitch selected the game and selected the streamer all by voice without repeating once. the switched back into game, great feature. Also watching tv/movies in snap is great if you wanna grind out a few levels in a game or whatever.

I'm glad the petty snipes about either consoles have stopped a lot. People seem happy with their consoles and are getting on with gaming. Granted, I don't feel the same leap into the future I felt between other gens, but I'm not disappointed at launch, which is always a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

£32 to buy this car. That's not even dlc that is just to pay to virtually buy a virtual car using real money. Insane. This is microsofts vision for gaming in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTvzNjrfqI#t=96

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Honestly, none of the wonderful games that are launch titles with the two new machines are making waves in terms of review scores.
    Resogun is probably an exception.
    The other decent games seem to be available across the various formats, not only not enhancing any single console, and available in pretty good shape on the 360 and PS3, not to mention the WiiU in the case of many.

This is par the course Cidey, you've been around enough console launches now to know how this works:

1) New console generation launches
    2) Pretty disappointing launch line up
    3) Launch window games promise slightly more
    4) No real reason to own a new release console for at least a year
    5) Launch window games arrive a few months later
    6) First year over, game lineup still pretty weak
    7) Second year comes, console starts to gain traction
    8) Decent slew of releases start filtering through
    9) Solid enough reason to own the console at this stage
    10) Happy gaming

The 3DS, for the first whole year of its life, had virtually nothing to play on it barring a port of a 20 year old Zelda game. Look at it now. The Wii U was the same, if not worse...it's only now, starting to even warrant owning one. The One & PS4 will be no different, & in time, they will become must-have machines & all this will be a distant memory :)

I think the question of "which console to buy" would have been better served if the OP had of included "neither" as a poll option.
    The decision to wait for 6/8 months before jumping in is a logical one tbh.
    But each to his/her own.
    Not about money here either, I could have gone for it but decided against it.
    And you're right Myrddin, I had the same exact experience with the PS3 and PS2, not so much with the Xbox or 360, not that they are my preference, I just had a better first year with them.
    The GC felt like it had a lifetime of hanging on, waiting for the next decent thing to come out, and in my collection it's the console I have the least games for.
    The Wii U is definitely getting some nice stuff, with Super Mario 3D World being a title which, like Mario 64 and Galaxy before it, none of the other manufactures could top it, not a subjective thing, a simple fact.

I am torn about which to pick up though, to get back to the OP.
    I find myself leaning towards the Xbox One in terms of Titanfall, but Driveclub sounds fantastic.
    I guess I'll wait to see which gets the best port of Dark Souls 2 (please let it happen!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I find myself leaning towards the Xbox One in terms of Titanfall, but Driveclub sounds fantastic.
    I guess I'll wait to see which gets the best port of Dark Souls 2 (please let it happen!)

I like your username, although a little bit late for the hip CaPiTalisAtion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Myrddin wrote: »
    4) No real reason to own a new release console for at least a year
    Totally depends on the user. There are plenty of people that would play Battlefield/COD/FIFA etc. and not much else. Why play on an inferior machine? These games look so much better on the new generation.

I'll put in an embarrassing amount of time in Battlefield over the next year. Much more than anything else. Totally worth getting the console for that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Totally depends on the user. There are plenty of people that would play Battlefield/COD/FIFA etc. and not much else. Why play on an inferior machine? These games look so much better on the new generation.

I'll put in an embarrassing amount of time in Battlefield over the next year. Much more than anything else. Totally worth getting the console for that alone.

True enough I suppose. But maybe in the broader sense, by this time next year there'll be a better reason for people to buy into the new consoles in comparison to right now.

I think the question of "which console to buy" would have been better served if the OP had of included "neither" as a poll option.
    That only works from either a launch perspective or people sticking to PC. I didn't take any time restriction on the poll. I didn't presume it to be at launch, but what we'll buy over time. I'd have liked to see a both option. I didn't vote at all for that reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if other people who got both voted for the one they'll get first. I wouldn't vote that way, but even if I were so inclined I couldn't because I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The decision to wait for 6/8 months before jumping in is a logical one tbh.
    But each to his/her own.
    Not about money here either, I could have gone for it but decided against it.
    And you're right Myrddin, I had the same exact experience with the PS3 and PS2, not so much with the Xbox or 360, not that they are my preference, I just had a better first year with them.
    The GC felt like it had a lifetime of hanging on, waiting for the next decent thing to come out, and in my collection it's the console I have the least games for.
    The Wii U is definitely getting some nice stuff, with Super Mario 3D World being a title which, like Mario 64 and Galaxy before it, none of the other manufactures could top it, not a subjective thing, a simple fact.

I remember making the decision to buy a GC instead of a PS2 and had everyone looking at me like I had 3 heads. Of course I like most people end up with every console in the generations but for the GameCube it was my only platform for pretty much that entire gen. The result is some really fond memorys of the console.

The exclusives it did have were great even if some arrived on PS2 and Xbox eventually, stuff like Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey ball, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia (never had a DC), Metal Gear Twin Snakes stick out in the memory and were kind of a Gamecube thing at the time. Then you had F-zero, Fire Emblem, Metroids.. never mind Zelda, Mario ect. I honestly think the Cube was overlooked and it shouldn't have been. I wonder if the Cube being my only console for so long made it more enjoyable? I mean I end up with all them now and trying to keep up with each console is something my broke ass can't do anymore ha ha. Thinking that....

...to bring it back on topic. I'm seriously thinking about ignoring both the PS4 and XB1 for as long as possible and getting a Wii U instead if and its a big if I can afford one for Christmas. If not I'm going to try fill out the Wii and Cube collection instead of jumping to the next gen. I have probably missed some amazing titles already by ignoring the Wii for so long. Hell I'm only half way through skyway sword now :o never touched xenoblade and the like.

Now if only I actually had some money :mad:

EDIT:
    Oh but I suppose if a next gen Street Fighter or Souls game arrives all of the above will be null and void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Danonino. wrote: »
    I remember making the decision to buy a GC instead of a PS2 and had everyone looking at me like I had 3 heads. Of course I like most people end up with every console in the generations but for the GameCube it was my only platform for pretty much that entire gen. The result is some really fond memorys of the console.

The exclusives it did have were great even if some arrived on PS2 and Xbox eventually, stuff like Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey ball, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia (never had a DC), Metal Gear Twin Snakes stick out in the memory and were kind of a Gamecube thing at the time. Then you had F-zero, Fire Emblem, Metroids.. never mind Zelda, Mario ect. I honestly think the Cube was overlooked and it shouldn't have been. Maybe its lack of popularity was why I enjoyed it so much? Thinking that....

...to bring it back on topic. I'm seriously thinking about ignoring both the PS4 and XB1 for as long as possible and getting a Wii U instead if and its a big if I can afford one for Christmas. If not I'm going to try fill out the Wii and Cube collection instead of jumping to the next gen. I have probably missed some amazing titles already by ignoring the Wii for so long. Hell I'm only half way through skyway sword now :o never touched xenoblade and the like.

Now if only I actually had some money :mad:

I'm exactly the same at the moment. Guaranteed the WiiU isn't as powerful as the other consoles but ,the exclusives are looking a lot more appealing to me at the moment. Almost every thing I'd be interested in playing on PS4 or X1 is coming out on PC anyway,but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon with Nintendo.Think it was the re-release of Zelda that got me starting to consider the WiiU and now I can't stop thinking about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I also don't seem much reason (for me) to get a next gen console just yet. Nothing that really interests me on either console that i can't get on the current gen at the moment. That will obviously change, and when it does i'll pick one (or both) up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I very recently unpacked the Cube and Wii and have been sitting playing them and keep asking myself why they were packed up for so long... That got me thinking. I constantly pick up Pikmin 3, The windwaker HD, Zombi U and Wonderfull 101 every single time I'm in a game shop. I then spend just as much money on other crap for some reason. Thats were I'm supposed to save and grab the Wii U to play them not wait for more games to justify buying it. I actually had the PS4 per-ordered and I'm now baffled as to why.

Think I've gone and convinced myself. Gonna be beans and water from now till Christmas... Ima buying a Wii U.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement