Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Well it's sales before kinectless Xbox one so I doubt it's 3ta1 now probably 2ta1. Ms need to invest more into exclusives as they have the money for it. Their way to focused on getting exclusive content for the likes of cod etc..

It's not anywhere near 2-1. The PS4 still sold 70k more units than the Xbox One in June in the US. If the US aren't preferring the 399$ Xbox, you can safely assume WW it's the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ms still doing ****? Good, it means it will work its tits off to impress me even more. When I will get Xbox one, I will be getting best deal I can. I am doing them a favour by buying their products, not MS doing me a favour by letting me buy it. ( goes to all companies, not just MS )
    Sony just needs to be a good little bitch now and dont do anything stupid ( which I doubt they will as PSnow shows. ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I do not think EA deal with Xbox is that big of a deal , Ea are not as influential than they were in the past. Ubisoft is the bigger publisher now and they have been friendly with sony for quite awhile.
    To get the very first publisher subscription based service on a next gen console is a really big deal. It is especially nice since it is priced so well at only €23 a year. I already subbed and downloaded 2 games I didn't own so delighted with it.

This deal will more than likely benefit console gamers on both platforms. Initially just the Xbox One gamers but if EA is successful it opens doors for other publishers to do the same model on both platforms.

Regarding Ubisoft, the real issue I think is with PS Now. I think Sony mightn't want a publisher selling a game subscription service because it could divert the PS4 owners spend away from PS Now. Especially since it could be priced really well in comparison.
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    MS need to show their dedication to exclusives, not multiplats and timed DLCs that skated them by last gen.
    I agree, but why not both.
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    Also, they need to start opening up first party studios. Until they start doing that I'm not going to believe this is anything different to the 360 where the bare minimum was done in regards to exclusives.
    Microsoft currently have 17 first party games studios. Sony have 13-15 first party game studios. I would argue that its more about quality than quantity when it comes to game studios. They do have an uphill battle with focusing on what was their weakness in the previous gen. There is 15 first party exclusives in year 1 of the Xbox One so its a great step forward for them.
    irishmover wrote: »
    You really do nothing to help your cause of trying to persuade people to get an Xbox One. In particular, your first sentence. Really no need for that bull, you're not doing yourself any favours.
    It was just a quick light hearted joke, no need to take it so seriously ;)

I actually never try to persuade people to get the Xbox One. Unlike many here I don't blindly make recommendations. I find out about the gamers needs and what their current situation is before making a suggestion. Only recently on this thread I made 2 buy recommendations for PS4 since it was the right fit for them.

I like to think of my presence here as "keeping it real", balancing out the thread because otherwise people would get lost in a PS4 love nest :D
    irishmover wrote: »
    It's fairly pants that Microsoft have to show companies how to get the most out of their consoles. Could you imagine how much that would cost them if they had to do that with every game?

Actually it shows me they are taking things very seriously and are fully committed to progression. Its a new software development kit so where else are developers supposed to learn how to get the best out of a SDK :confused:
    Sony do that exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I am starting to hate the way both Microsoft and Sony are combining their sales figures. Microsoft is combining the Xbox One and 360 while Sony combine the PS3 and Ps4.

3.5m PS3/PS4 shipped vs 1.1m X360/XBO in the same quarter.

I like to think of my presence here as "keeping it real", balancing out the thread because otherwise people would get lost in a PS4 love nest :D

How would we ever live without you.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    3.5m PS3/PS4 shipped vs 1.1m X360/XBO in the same quarter.

Thats what I am saying. I dislike the way both Sony & Microsoft combine their units sold. Last gen and current gen together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Another constructive response to a good post ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just curious.. What do people actually think of PSnow pricing?

I've seen a lot saying it's ridiculously high but from looking at what prices are there it seems reasonable to me.

The only ridiculous rental is 4 hours for something like $5 dollars when you compare it to $7-8 dollars for the week.

I also completely agree that a subscription model would be interesting and it's pretty much a guarantee to happen.

Edit: Of course these prices will probably be the same in euro! Bloody sick of the conversion at this stage... even with tax included

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The gap is narrowing very quickly.

comical_ali.jpg

8$ for a week is a fair price to me. You have it all the time, on multiple devices.
    You'd almost pay the same price for one night of rental in Xtravision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

tok9 wrote: »
    What do people actually think of PSnow pricing?

For it to be a success, they need to offer a subscription payment method. Simple as, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

To get the very first publisher subscription based service on a next gen console is a really big deal. It is especially nice since it is priced so well at only €23 a year. I already subbed and downloaded 2 games I didn't own so delighted with it.

This deal will more than likely benefit console gamers on both platforms. Initially just the Xbox One gamers but if EA is successful it opens doors for other publishers to do the same model on both platforms.

Regarding Ubisoft, the real issue I think is with PS Now. I think Sony mightn't want a publisher selling a game subscription service because it could divert the PS4 owners spend away from PS Now. Especially since it could be priced really well in comparison.

I agree, but why not both.

Microsoft currently have 17 first party games studios. Sony have 13-15 first party game studios. I would argue that its more about quality than quantity when it comes to game studios. They do have an uphill battle with focusing on what was their weakness in the previous gen. There is 15 first party exclusives in year 1 of the Xbox One so its a great step forward for them.

It was just a quick light hearted joke, no need to take it so seriously ;)

I actually never try to persuade people to get the Xbox One. Unlike many here I don't blindly make recommendations. I find out about the gamers needs and what their current situation is before making a suggestion. Only recently on this thread I made 2 buy recommendations for PS4 since it was the right fit for them.

Actually it shows me they are taking things very seriously and are fully committed to progression. Its a new software development kit so where else are developers supposed to learn how to get the best out of a SDK :confused:
    Sony do that exact same thing.

My point is Sony have a great track record with exclusives, both in number and quality, MS lacks the former, and hadn't really cared for years beyond doing the bare minimum.

There were no exclusives for the last year of the 360, and a big drought the last few years, that's how they carried over the exclusives to the X1, while the PS3 continued to have big exclusives.

I'll buy an X1 down the line, but it's gonna have to pull its weight in consistent exclusives and new IPs.

Just curious.. What do people actually think of PSnow pricing?

I've seen a lot saying it's ridiculously high but from looking at what prices are there it seems reasonable to me.

The only ridiculous rental is 4 hours for something like $5 dollars when you compare it to $7-8 dollars for the week.

I also completely agree that a subscription model would be interesting and it's pretty much a guarantee to happen.

I just think that any pricing they will do, will be bad. As its priced now, you might as well go and buy a game from onlive if you need it to be streamed. In most cases buying it from there, will be cheaper then renting for few months on PSnow.

Sony needs to go "netflix on our asses" with this. For current ps3/ps4 users the psnow as it is now is useless. It will be handy ( with lower prices ) when PSnow works with smart Tvs, PCs, tablets etc.

8$ for a week is a fair price to me. You have it all the time, on multiple devices.
    You'd almost pay the same price for one night of rental in Xtravision.

Thats if you still rent from Xtravision lol.

I wouldn't pay $8 a week for a game regardless of how many devices its on. I hope they come up with a really good yearly sub price that is viewed by all as a must have.

Thats if you still rent from Xtravision lol.

I wouldn't pay $8 a week for a game regardless of how many devices its on. I hope they come up with a really good yearly sub price that is viewed by all as a must have.

Where else are you going to rent a game from? I'm comparing one rental service to another.
    The difference being, Sony's is better value, instant, and isn't limited to one device. AFAIK you don't even need a Playstation, just a Sony TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The only way it will work is with a decent subscription model. I would never rent a game out for £5-10 quid... just not very good value for money unless you have no job and can play it flat out for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm going to be interested in where global sales are in, say January. The One releases in a lot of places in September, and give it a few months to see how things go from that point. It's a bit ridiculous to be making such a big deal of sales when the One isn't even out in so many places yet. All we have right now are assumptions in how it'll do.

PS Now pricing, they are going to be revising the prices so what they are pricing right now is of little consequence.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm going to be interested in where global sales are in, say January. The One releases in a lot of places in September, and give it a few months to see how things go from that point. It's a bit ridiculous to be making such a big deal of sales when the One isn't even out in so many places yet. All we have right now are assumptions in how it'll do.

PS Now pricing, they are going to be revising the prices so what they are pricing right now is of little consequence.

It's available unofficially in most countries. Stores import them and sell them. If somebody in Denmark wanted one today, they could get one no problem.
    That being said, I think the countries the Xbox One is currently released in made up like 90% of the 360 sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The countries where it's not released yet probably won't amount for even a million extra sales in the first 6-8 months. There's a reason they didn't bother with those territories last year

Personally I couldn't imagine subscribing to a service like PS Now.

It's going to have a load of old games on it basically. People already have a huge back catalog.

For me, I can see a scenario where there is an old game I want to play. If I can rent that game for €8 for the week then that's fine by me.

Regarding a subscription, I imagine a lot of people are being unrealistic in pricing. The minimum a month would be €10... and that is the absolute minimum.. I'd say we'd be looking at closer to €20.

• Advertisement

It's going to have a load of old games on it basically. People already have a huge back catalog.

For me, I can see a scenario where there is an old game I want to play. If I can rent that game for €8 for the week then that's fine by me.

Regarding a subscription, I imagine a lot of people are being unrealistic in pricing. The minimum a month would be €10... and that is the absolute minimum.. I'd say we'd be looking at closer to €20.

well, old game should not cost more then 8eu in the first place. I would not pay 8eu to rent an old game. I would rent a new game for 8eu to see if I actually like it.

So how much would you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Where else are you going to rent a game from? I'm comparing one rental service to another.
    The difference being, Sony's is better value, instant, and isn't limited to one device. AFAIK you don't even need a Playstation, just a Sony TV.

how does it work then? is all the raw computing handled by a server and your inputs from a controller bounce up and down the net to your screen? If so, I'll be interested to see how much latency there is on it. even a tiny bit could make a lot of games unplayable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think the thing is that most people would now prefer a subscription service to a rental service - I know I would. I have 2 small kids and a full time job so I could rent a game for a week and end up not getting to play more than an hour or two if it's a particularly busy week. All depends on how much the sub costs though.

Netflix is €8-9. That's about what I'd be willing to pay. Anymore and I wouldn't bother tbh.

Netflix is €8-9. That's about what I'd be willing to pay. Anymore and I wouldn't bother tbh.

This is where it's a bit of a no win situation for Sony. A lot seem to think it should follow the netflix model but movies are a hell of a lot cheaper to purchase than games.

On top of that, If sony removed games like Netflix does to movies there would be uproar.

So it's not really as easy as just saying it should be and cost the same as Netflix but for games.

I'd be shocked if it was €8-9 a month.. absolutely shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Same as, I'd be willing to pay about 8 a month, but I'm not so sure will it be worth it yet....

(going by early reports)

i'm more interested in a catalogue of PSP games and PS1 titles... (which aren't being offered on the service yet)

So how much would you pay?

Define old game. how old are we talking about. If thats ps1/ps2 games, they should be 8eu max to buy. Older last gen games can be bought for 8-15eu, so why I would rent it for 8eu?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Would not mind paying a maximum of about 15 Euro a month, although I can basically get any PS2 game now and be playing it in about 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

This is where it's a bit of a no win situation for Sony. A lot seem to think it should follow the netflix model but movies are a hell of a lot cheaper to purchase than games.

On top of that, If sony removed games like Netflix does to movies there would be uproar.

So it's not really as easy as just saying it should be and cost the same as Netflix but for games.

I'd be shocked if it was €8-9 a month.. absolutely shocked.

You put a load of games that at the moment probably make zilch for Sony at the moment like the PSP/PS1/PS2 titles like Fieldog suggested and games that are more than, let's say, 2 years old and I'd imagine that would make a tidy profit for Sony at €8-€10 a month. You can see EA already dipping there toes in to subscriptions because they know that's where the future is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement