Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You put a load of games that at the moment probably make zilch for Sony at the moment like the PSP/PS1/PS2 titles like Fieldog suggested and games that are more than, let's say, 2 years old and I'd imagine that would make a tidy profit for Sony at €8-€10 a month. You can see EA already dipping there toes in to subscriptions because they know that's where the future is.

You're forgetting the cost to run servers. It's not as cheap as Netflix servers as these all have to be more powerful and able to play the games. Maintenance, upgrades etc. Plus there is a limited amount of servers available.
    Don't know if 8-10euro a month would cover that, or be enough to make a good profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

So does anyone know how it works without a console? and how does it handle the emulation of old games?

So does anyone know how it works without a console? and how does it handle the emulation of old games?

It's streamed to the TV. The processing is done on Sony's servers, your DS3/DS4 can connect to a Sony TV (probably only newer ones), and you send your inputs to the server, and it sends the video stream back.

It's streamed to the TV. The processing is done on Sony's servers, your DS3/DS4 can connect to a Sony TV (probably only newer ones), and you send your inputs to the server, and it sends the video stream back.

Oh, so its essentially the same idea as the xbox one using the power of the cloud to get more performance out of the system. Is it just older generation games that they plan to make available this way or will ps4 titles be available as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

PS Now wont be successful until it rolls out to the myriad of other Sony devices (TV, tablets, phones).
    They'd make a nice profit in selling PS3 & PS4 controllers that way too!

• Advertisement

Oh, so its essentially the same idea as the xbox one using the power of the cloud to get more performance out of the system. Is it just older generation games that they plan to make available this way or will ps4 titles be available as well?

Not really. With PSNow, all the processing power is done on one system. It's not too complicated of a system.
    With MS's cloud, they want to do half the processing locally on the Xbox One, and half of it on their own servers. So it's more complex and as far as I know there isn't actually any real world demonstrations of this other than Nvidia who required a specific dedicated graphics card to do it.

Just older gen games I think. They still want to sell PS4s and allowing people to play PS4 games on devices other than a PS4 doesn't sound like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Define old game. how old are we talking about. If thats ps1/ps2 games, they should be 8eu max to buy. Older last gen games can be bought for 8-15eu, so why I would rent it for 8eu?

Yes I'm sure older PS1/PS2 games will be cheaper.

However it seems you are missing the point. I would imagine one could get all the games at a reasonable price somewhere else.

Sure you could get an older last gen game for 8-15 but not everyone will have a last gen console which is the whole point of PSnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tok9 wrote: »

However it seems you are missing the point. I would imagine one could get all the games at a reasonable price somewhere else.

Sure you could get an older last gen game for 8-15 but not everyone will have a last gen console which is the whole point of PSnow.

That is true, but when they will see actual renting prices, they might as well and go PS3, which by that time will be cheap as chips.

I guess it will have a few random casual people have a wee go at it, but actual gamer market will have PS3 for gaming purpose in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Not really. With PSNow, all the processing power is done on one system. It's not too complicated of a system.
    With MS's cloud, they want to do half the processing locally on the Xbox One, and half of it on their own servers. So it's more complex and as far as I know there isn't actually any real world demonstrations of this other than Nvidia who required a specific dedicated graphics card to do it.

Just older gen games I think. They still want to sell PS4s and allowing people to play PS4 games on devices other than a PS4 doesn't sound like a good plan.

Have you a link to that? I'd like to read more about it.

How is PSNow going to hold up regarding slow internet and high latency?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Thats true and its nice to build up a physical collection of PS2/PS3 games with the consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Who is PSNows target market? That's what I don't understand.
    Who requires it? In a way it kind of reminds me of Apple TV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just curious.. What do people actually think of PSnow pricing?

I've seen a lot saying it's ridiculously high but from looking at what prices are there it seems reasonable to me.

The only ridiculous rental is 4 hours for something like $5 dollars when you compare it to $7-8 dollars for the week.

I also completely agree that a subscription model would be interesting and it's pretty much a guarantee to happen.

Edit: Of course these prices will probably be the same in euro! Bloody sick of the conversion at this stage... even with tax included

No way to know the EU price, Sony hosting their servers in Europe will cost a bit more than us.

Can't really complain considering you don't need to buy the PS3 and can play on almost anything by the end.

Well, I think the plan with the xbox one was to hand off non critical computations to the cloud, i.e. backgrounds, skybox, enemy ai, and d handle the inputs and main graphics at a system level. with PS Now, everything is calculated & rendered offsite, so latency will surely be a lot more pronounced. kind of like that OnLive service that was out a year or so ago.

EDIT: dont get me wrong, i think its a great idea, if only from the point of view that it lets people experience games they might have missed, or play games from a console they never owned.

Have you a link to that? I'd like to read more about it.

How is PSNow going to hold up regarding slow internet and high latency?

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-one/3045-145/forums/nvidia-demos-hybrid-cloud-rendered-lighting-1446867/

Best I could find. Though it's only talking about the cloud rendering lighting.

It won't. You'll need good internet for it. It's not as simple as Netflix as you'll need to send inputs so can't be a long delay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Services like this wont work. They can't.

If the average user's internet spikes or lags while watching a movie on a service like Netflix, they don't notice as the buffering is several minutes ahead. The user has no idea and so it works.

Streaming game only works on Fibre or better where the latency is in single digit figures of miliseconds. Most of the worlds internet access is nowhere near that good.

It's going to feel like playing games underwater. Slow, sluggish and frustrating. Anybody old enough to remember online gaming on 56k will know what it's going to feel like trying to play a single player game through streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Kirby wrote: »
    Services like this wont work. They can't.

If the average user's internet spikes or lags while watching a movie on a service like Netflix, they don't notice as the buffering is several minutes ahead. The user has no idea and so it works.

Streaming game only works on Fibre or better where the latency is in single digit figures of miliseconds. Most of the worlds internet access is nowhere near that good.

It's going to feel like playing games underwater. Slow, sluggish and frustrating. Anybody old enough to remember online gaming on 56k will know what it's going to feel like trying to play a single player game through streaming.

That is a major worry of mine, on average I get a 9ms ping hardwired to the router, bout 45 down and 20 up and I can imagine still having issue's with it....

I remember 56k gaming alright, the Kotaku preview had my fears pretty much shown when they were testing it, the latency was shocking...

I hope it comes on but I don't think it will be the game changer Sony is peddling it as...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And this is why I think I'm over backwards compatibility altogether and I'll just continue to own the original hardware instead.
    At least I know everything will work and I won't feel bitter anymore at an incomplete compatibility, like on the 360 with Xbox games.
    Local emulation seems more likely, as seen to great effect on the Vita and Wii/WiiU consoles, just a pity original game collections bear no impact on the fact I have to buy them all again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There was a similar service launched a few years ago for pc .... Onlive I think??? How did that go :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

calex71 wrote: »
    There was a similar service launched a few years ago for pc .... Onlive I think??? How did that go :confused:

Aren't they who has a hand in making it with Sony?

When Sony acquired Gakai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fieldog wrote: »
    Aren't they who has a hand in making it with Sony?

When Sony acquired Gakai?

Ah that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

No gaikai and onlive were separate companies with similar ideas. Gaikai was set up by Dave Perry and was the one bought by Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Man when I seen david perry up on stage announcing gaiki I was like awe no more earth worm jim :,(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Confirmation that No Man's Sky is a timed PS4 exclusive. PC is mentioned but no mention of an XBO version.
    No Man's Sky is coming to PC, but will launch as a timed exclusive for PS4. So has that changed the game in any way? "I actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to deel really console-y" says Murray. "We've always had PC in mind but in my head (console-y) means solid framerate and immediate controls"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Otacon wrote: »

Il have to wait for reviews of this game, im one of them people who gets bored very quickly if theirs no objectives, the idea sounds good but to me personally it would be good in reality but in a game it wouldn't be the same. Is it multiplayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »

They confirmed that the day of the Sony press conference on twitter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am literally quivering with anticip..... ation about this one.
    IIt's the reason I bought the machine.
    Well, this and Bloodborne.

I was always going to get a PS4 but I decided to get it early because I thought I'll play BF4.. Infamous is around the corner and so is The Witness...

Where the hell is the Witness! When they showed that off I thought I heard it was meant to be out early 2014 or did I just assume that since it was shown at the PS4 press conference?

Really hope it's out before the end of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Meant to be out before the end of the year.

I love that Blow and his team are taking their time on it. Reading their development blogs they're really going through it with a fine tooth comb to make it the game they want it to be. I have no issue whatsoever waiting for games when there is clearly such care being taken. Last Guardian is ripping the piss a little though ;)

Meant to be out before the end of the year.

I love that Blow and his team are taking their time on it. Reading their development blogs they're really going through it with a fine tooth comb to make it the game they want it to be. I have no issue whatsoever waiting for games when there is clearly such care being taken. Last Guardian is ripping the piss a little though ;)

Very true.. I'm still really looking forward to The Witness.. I just hope it's out relatively soon or else I won't be playing it for a long time :(

Also replayed Ico and SOTC last weekend which made me realise how much I wanted The Last Guardian again.

*Goes to watch the E3 trailer... again

• Advertisement

Wishful thinking.
    Might as well be hunting Snarks! (just beware Boojums!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement