Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

tok9 wrote: »

Also replayed Ico and SOTC last weekend which made me realise how much I wanted The Last Guardian again.

*Goes to watch the E3 trailer... again

I love the use of the Miller's Crossing soundtrack with the trailer. Depressing to watch though, 5 years ago now, come on Sony get the finger out! My one fear would be it if it didn't have the feeling of a Team Ico game since Ueda isn't fully involved.

Assuming it does ever see the light of day, it's got to be a PS4 release at this stage I presume? It'd make me shell out for the console anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So, by the looks of it a lot of people are in love with Last of Us Remastered. Even IGN gave it score 10? ( not that IGN is something to take note off lol ).

I always said that game itself will do great software wise, but wont be a system seller. I wonder now if it still holds after it got released, by the looks of it its the proper next gen game ( even if its an upscaled version of old gen game ) and it is being received very well by gamers and critics. Does Sony actually has a system seller?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

So, by the looks of it a lot of people are in love with Last of Us Remastered. Even IGN gave it score 10? ( not that IGN is something to take note off lol ).

I always said that game itself will do great software wise, but wont be a system seller. I wonder now if it still holds after it got released, by the looks of it its the proper next gen game ( even if its an upscaled version of old gen game ) and it is being received very well by gamers and critics. Does Sony actually has a system seller?

I don't think it is a system seller.

It sold well on PS3, some people will upgrade the PS3 version to PS4, but not many people are going to go out and buy a PS4 for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I think I seen somewhere that last of us on ps3 sold 7 million copies , ps4 version will easily be another 2 million easily and given the hype around the title is still around I reckon I see the game selling 12 million at the end of the year.

God of war

Uncharted series has sold very well along with the Gran Turismo franchise which is there best selling series.

Littlebigplanet is another that sold very well but the thing about sony is they are always willing to take risk and support a game there in house studios make.

Killzone shadowfall sold 2.1 million copies as of March I believe and I remember Infamous second son sold 1 million in 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

F1ngers wrote: »

It sold well on PS3, some people will upgrade the PS3 version to PS4, but not many people are going to go out and buy a PS4 for this.

I think Sony said a while back that a large amount of people buying the PS4 are people who didn't own a PS3. So it'd really appeal to them, and make others who never owned a PS3 and still unsure which console to go with, want to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah anyone that hasn't got a PS3... I don't see any reason why TLOU wouldn't be a system seller for them... its an incredible game, well worth picking up a PS4 for if you're on the fence and haven't played the PS3 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »

There's a huge number of people who didn't have a PS3, they'll be buying this.

17% of PS4 owners didn't have a console last gen, and 31% only had a 360 or Wii. That's a lot of people to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Varik wrote: »
    There's a huge number of people who didn't have a PS3, they'll be buying this.

17% of PS4 owners didn't have a console last gen, and 31% only had a 360 or Wii. That's a lot of people to buy it.

Well he did say not a lot of people will go out and buy a PS4 for this game which I agree with.

Still an amazing game, the graphics and 60fps. My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I know two people personally who did exactly that, went down and bought a ps4 and a copy of tlou. So I would call it quite a strong selling point and will further push the hype machine for the next uncharted. You'd be surprised how many people never played them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Everyone needs to stop talking about the remastered TLOU, or else I'll end up buying it and having no money for food for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Even considering that the ONE and PS4 are much easier for people to stream/capture from, I've see a lot of youtubers who've started doing a lot more PS4 videos.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Everyone needs to stop talking about the remastered TLOU, or else I'll end up buying it and having no money for food for next week.

It's €45 in argos so that'll save you a €5 over pretty much everywhere else (offline) :D

It's €45 in argos so that'll save you a €5 over pretty much everywhere else (offline) :D

I can get a lot of noodles for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can get a lot of noodles for €5.

Can even get the really scaldy ones with no flavour from lidl for about 19c, you will be full for the week with that fiver....

I'll be as hungry and sleep deprived as Joel, which will only add the to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can even get the really scaldy ones with no flavour from lidl for about 19c, you will be full for the week with that fiver....

Bah I used to live on 8p ones from Tesco and cheap tins of tuna when I was in university :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Rumours of an XBO price cut coming (Source: NeoGAF)

P5Xd2dz.png

TXaOvWv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No real surprise if true. Look at the German numbers
    Hardware LTDs:
    PS4: 540,000
    XB1: 170,000

Or even sold this year
    PS4 2014 German YTD = 290,000
    XB1 2014 German YTD = 70,000

Still don't think it will help that much as there could be an argument that they are dropping the price to fast. Expect an announcement at gamescom if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

would I be surprised if Microsoft cut the price a extra 50 ? no given the situation as it currently stands but again I cannot help but feel there seems to be no direction with xbox one and the shift in management and closure of Xbox tv division leaves me to believe xbox one is in trouble.

when it was first announced to me it sounded like Microsoft were more interested being a media device for every living room than a videogame console which was second to them.

even with 360 after its 2-3 years released Microsoft focused more on Multiplats and timed exclusive dlc

I said before I cannot see microsoft investing heavily into in house studios or 3rd party exclusives really and still may invest in timed deals like they normally do.

if the rumours are to be true that the price cut is coming I expect further lay offs and it will only lead to xbox one not being totally destroyed by ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I would just be annoyed if I bought one at launch. Maybe they'll do some kind of free game scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I would just be annoyed if I bought one at launch. Maybe they'll do some kind of free game scheme.

i bought mine before the last price drop and tbh i dont care about how much they cut it by if it means a populated console

this is the risk you run when you buy at/near launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I bought a one at launch, honestly I wouldn't be so annoyed at a price cut now. The thing is with consoles you can never really predict when the first cut comes, and if you keep waiting for it to hit a certain price point you could be waiting any amount of years realistically. It comes with the territory when buying a console, adopt early or wait it out and see. I still regard it as one of my best purchases and I knew from the off it was going to 12-18 months before a better selection of games started rolling out. If a price cut comes say over the course of gamescom I'll be happy because I can see €349.99 tempting a lot of people to take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

NTMK wrote: »
    i bought mine before the last price drop and tbh i dont care about how much they cut it by if it means a populated console

this is the risk you run when you buy at/near launch

What I like about this is how you conveyed the message I was attempting to say, but a lot more eloquently and concise!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

would I be surprised if Microsoft cut the price a extra 50 ? no given the situation as it currently stands but again I cannot help but feel there seems to be no direction with xbox one and the shift in management and closure of Xbox tv division leaves me to believe xbox one is in trouble.

when it was first announced to me it sounded like Microsoft were more interested being a media device for every living room than a videogame console which was second to them.

even with 360 after its 2-3 years released Microsoft focused more on Multiplats and timed exclusive dlc

this was mostly mattricks vision and Microsoft often let their directors run with their vision until they **** up

Since Spencer was made head there has been a big change of focus but even now this change wont really be seen games wise till 2016 unfortunately

The closure of Xbox TV was more to do with satya's vison of a leaner MS and the fact they're not a TV production company
    I said before I cannot see microsoft investing heavily into in house studios or 3rd party exclusives really and still may invest in timed deals like they normally do.

I can see them investing into a few along with reviving IP (phantom dust) and continue to do timed deals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Otacon wrote: »
    Rumours of an XBO price cut coming (Source: NeoGAF)
    A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to VideoGamer.com that the €349.99 price was listed on the Spanish Xbox.com "in error". The site will be rectified to display the original €399.99 price, they add.

Source: VideoGamer

Denied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Otacon wrote: »
    Source: VideoGamer

Denied

The last thing they want to do is confirm another price drop incoming. It'll just kill all sales until the price drop happens like last time.
    Don't see why there would be an error like that, they must have been testing it. Guessing an announcement for a European price drop at gamescom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

To be fair, there's no reason for the X1 to be the same price as the PS4 without kinect. It's made of cheaper parts, like a smaller GPU and DDR3 RAM. It's cheaper to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    To be fair, there's no reason for the X1 to be the same price as the PS4 without kinect. It's made of cheaper parts, like a smaller GPU and DDR3 RAM. It's cheaper to make.

We don't actually know if it is cheaper to make. We just know the PS4 is a more powerful machine.

Or has there been some analysis on the cost of manufacturing?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The main problem with the xbox one still remains, its apparent that microsoft don't know what they want it to be, the whole TV box approach has alienated a large portion of their market. I think things have improved under Spencer though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

We don't actually know if it is cheaper to make. We just know the PS4 is a more powerful machine.

Or has there been some analysis on the cost of manufacturing?

GPU is smaller and more entry level than the mid-level PS4 GPU, and the GDDR3 RAM is much more expensive.

There's been analysis of the parts and the X1 is cheaper to manufacture, even with the eSRAM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement