Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The last thing they want to do is confirm another price drop incoming. It'll just kill all sales until the price drop happens like last time.

But then they could say sales quadrupled in the space of a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Not jabbing anything more into ms or xbox but they wont be catching up with sony , if it was not evident enough the kinetic less bundle xbox was still outsold 3:1 , the truth is even according to history xbox could not dent ps2 and 360 despite microsoft doing everything right coming out a year early , better online , easy to program system , everything I have said in the past few days Sony still outsold it.

Sure has loads of more countries that xbox has not arrived yet but I am sure it will not do much considering the sony brand is much stronger in europe.

Microsoft had one of the better e3 but thats not saying much considering what we were used to in the past

Only thing microsoft can do is make the best of its situation.

If things continue the way it is and ms are forced to keep droping the price of xbox one then we could be seeing more lay offs and ps4 making ps1 numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Microsoft had one of the better e3 but thats not saying much considering what we were used to in the past

I feel their last 2 E3s were akin to a captain pi**ing in the gathering water aboard his sinking ship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, the majority of people to own a console aren't buying in the first 12 months.
    And the Xbox is a very strong brand, especially in the US.
    Once exclusives start to come that people must have, when the developers get more from the SDKs, we'll see the performance gap shrink to insignificance between the machines, in real terms, as in actual onscreen performance.
    I'd say the two consoles, in the US and EU markets at least, will both have a strong and long life.
    A price drop for the XB1 may well seal the deal for a lot of undecided buyers come Christmas '14.
    I have the PS4 and, so far, there really isn't anything on the format that screams "I am greater than the previous gen and worth the investment, Buy Me!".
    Of the four physical titles I own three are multiformat and, aside from a extra layer of particle and bloom effects, I suspect little is that different.
    Shadowfall is ok, but I think I'd prefer Metroid Prime!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, the majority of people to own a console aren't buying in the first 12 months.
    And the Xbox is a very strong brand, especially in the US.
    Once exclusives start to come that people must have, when the developers get more from the SDKs, we'll see the performance gap shrink to insignificance between the machines, in real terms, as in actual onscreen performance.
    I'd say the two consoles, in the US and EU markets at least, will both have a strong and long life.
    A price drop for the XB1 may well seal the deal for a lot of undecided buyers come Christmas '14.
    I have the PS4 and, so far, there really isn't anything on the format that screams "I am greater than the previous gen and worth the investment, Buy Me!".
    Of the four physical titles I own three are multiformat and, aside from a extra layer of particle and bloom effects, I suspect little is that different.
    Shadowfall is ok, but I think I'd prefer Metroid Prime!

I see it as a very similar megadrive vs snes situation

You had one who came out early and took every advantage , got alot of 3rd party titles that were mostly exclusive to one system and gained alot of ground but still ended up losing in the end though had a solid run.

Alot of ms solid ground was due to sony being so arrogant , to exactly quote one fellow sony employee " next gen starts when we say so "

Microsoft were never in this situation that many other console manufactures were .

Sega with saturn
    Nintendo with N64
    Sony with Ps3

Console manufactures always seem to mess up on the 3rd console and can normally always be a major shift

Microsoft have to do something bold IMO otherwise it be a snowball effect.
    If a xbox user comes to ps4 then his closest friend or family member will jump aboard since alot of us tend to follow where our friends our at.

6 months in a row sony are blowing xbox away in its own terriorty usa is not something microsoft wants to happen either in its first 8 months or two years time.

In the end if one company pushes to catch up the other will respond to get further ahead and in the end , we the gamers will win :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The direction seems very clear on Xbox One.

It's all about the games now. Phil Spencer took to the stage at E3 and said the presentation was all about games. Their TV studios idea became a redundant feature when the focus switched to games.

We are only 8 months into a console generation where the vast majority of gamers are still undecided and unwilling to come to the next gen yet.

This is a marathon ran over 7-9 year period so it's incredibly naive to say Xbox will never catch up. Especially when in the previous gen this is exactly what happend with the PS3.

We are now seeing games that are the same on both consoles such as Destiny where the developers have stated it's the same on PS4 & Xbox One.

From the looks of things Xbox seems much more hungrier snapping up amazing deals like EA Access. Playstation can't afford to make mistakes like that.

The lineup is much stronger on Xbox One from September to Christmas.

It's all about the games now. Phil Spencer took to the stage at E3 and said the presentation was all about games. Their TV studios idea became a redundant feature when the focus switched to games.

We are only 8 months into a console generation where the vast majority of gamers are still undecided and unwilling to come to the next gen yet.

This is a marathon ran over 7-9 year period so it's incredibly naive to say Xbox will never catch up. Especially when in the previous gen this is exactly what happend with the PS3.

We are now seeing games that are the same on both consoles such as Destiny where the developers have stated it's the same on PS4 & Xbox One.

From the looks of things Xbox seems much more hungrier snapping up amazing deals like EA Access. Playstation can't afford to make mistakes like that.

You judge thing by past history and history shows that playstation make most in house games due to more studios and creates more 3rd party exclusives than xbox.

Its not naive too assume it when 360 one up everything on ps3 and came out year early and still got outsold.

What makes you think its going to be any different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I thought the XB1 beta was 900p ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Magill wrote: »

Neither of them were 1080p during the beta - both were 900p.
    Read it somewhere, can't remember where though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

it was but it will be bumped up to 1080p for the full release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

The Xbox won't do a turnaround like the PS3. Last gen MS and Sony each had markets that they sold significantly better in than their counterpart.
    Sony has EU, MS has US. This time around, Sony has every market.
    So without their big market they won't turn things around.

And a much stronger lineup would depend on the user. For me LBP3 is the biggest game I'm interested in this year. No other console game interests me until Bloodborne next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

We are now seeing one game that is the same on both systems, a game where the developers have already said they were purposely going for parity across platforms.
    “It’s a lot of different things,” explains Jason Sussman who is the senior environment artist at Bungie. “I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death. A lot has to do with performance. We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles. A lot goes into that, from geometry to textures to post effects to particles to how many players you get on the screen. We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,

Source: GamingBolt

F1ngers wrote: »

Pretty sure PS4 version was 1080p.

NTMK wrote: »
    it was but it will be bumped up to 1080p for the full release

Aye, so we really can't say both versions are the same until we play the final game. I'd imagine they're sacrificing something for the higher framerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Pretty sure PS4 version was 1080p.

Aye, so we really can't say both versions are the same until we play the final game. I'd imagine they're sacrificing something for the higher framerate.

its usually AA and shadow details but we'll see they'll probably create parity by setting everything to suite the lowest common denominator (XBO)

theres far to much focus on resolution and not enough on FPS and detail. esp when your average consumer needs to sit at a typical PC monitor distance to see the difference between 900p and 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »

Digital foundry have the PS4 version at 1080p for the beta, from reading there coverage there's also some minor differences as well that have carried over the newer build. The UI on the ONE for one is the same as the PS3/360 while the PS4 has a graphically improved one.

Interesting enough regarding e3

Sony showed
    61 games
    23 were Indie Titles
    24 were Exclusive
    18 were exclusive to the ps4 the others were exclusive for ps3 and vita

Xbox one:

43 Games
    23 Indies Titles
    14 Exclusive

Nintendo wii u :

51 games
    26 Indie Titles
    22 Exclusives
    17 were exclusives for the wii u

You judge thing by past history and history shows that playstation make most in house games due to more studios and creates more 3rd party exclusives than xbox.
    ?

Actually, you'll be surprised to know that Microsoft own more games studios than Sony :pac:
    I'd would say its about quality over quantity.
    It was. Since then Xbox have released a new SDK that gives the XB1 more juice so both will be 1080p at 30 FPS :D
    The Xbox won't do a turnaround like the PS3. Last gen MS and Sony each had markets that they sold significantly better in than their counterpart.
    Sony has EU, MS has US. This time around, Sony has every market.
    So without their big market they won't turn things around.

Gamers aren't shackled to their initial console purchase.

What I have learnt is people have no problem trading and/or swapping consoles. Someone isn't going to keep a console if they see something they really like on another console. If you look on adverts there are people swapping PS4 for Xbox One and vice versa.

You keep saying this but Sony are doing better in both quality and quantity.

Gamers aren't shackled to their initial console purchase.

What I have learnt is people have no problem trading and/or swapping consoles. Someone isn't going to keep a console if they see something they really like on another console. If you look on adverts there are people swapping PS4 for Xbox One and vice versa.

No, but anecdotal tales of one or two people trading don't equal a country.

Actually, you'll be surprised to know that Microsoft own more games studios than Sony :pac:

343 Industries – Halo series
    Good Science Studio – Kinect Adventures, Kinect Fun Labs
    Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment – Xbox Fitness
    Leap Experience Pioneers – In-house Kinect development team
    Platform Next Studios – Pioneering experiences on Kinect
    Microsoft Studios – Mobile Gaming – ilomilo
    Team Dakota – Project Spark
    Turn 10 Studios – Forza Motorsport series
    Twisted Pixel Games – The Gunstringer, LocoCycle, 'Splosion Man series
    Xbox Live Productions – South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, South Park: Tenorman's Revenge, Avatar Kinect
    Europe

Lionhead Studios – Fable series, Black & White series
    Lift London – Cloud digital games for tablets, mobiles and TVs
    Press Play – Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Project Totem[34]
    Rare Ltd. – Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Piñata, Kameo: Elements of Power, Conker, Kinect Sports
    Soho Productions – Kinect Sesame Street TV, Upload Studios
    Canada

BigPark – Joy Ride series, Kinect Sports: Season Two, Multiple applications for Xbox One
    Black Tusk Studios – Gears of War series

Alot of those studios are heavily kinetic based studios

everything else is gears, halo or forza related

343 Industries – Halo series
    Good Science Studio – Kinect Adventures, Kinect Fun Labs
    Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment – Xbox Fitness
    Leap Experience Pioneers – In-house Kinect development team
    Platform Next Studios – Pioneering experiences on Kinect
    Microsoft Studios – Mobile Gaming – ilomilo
    Team Dakota – Project Spark
    Turn 10 Studios – Forza Motorsport series
    Twisted Pixel Games – The Gunstringer, LocoCycle, 'Splosion Man series
    Xbox Live Productions – South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, South Park: Tenorman's Revenge, Avatar Kinect
    Europe

Lionhead Studios – Fable series, Black & White series
    Lift London – Cloud digital games for tablets, mobiles and TVs
    Press Play – Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Project Totem[34]
    Rare Ltd. – Banjo-Kazooie series, Viva Piñata, Kameo: Elements of Power, Conker, Kinect Sports
    Soho Productions – Kinect Sesame Street TV, Upload Studios
    Canada

BigPark – Joy Ride series, Kinect Sports: Season Two, Multiple applications for Xbox One
    Black Tusk Studios – Gears of War series

Alot of those studios are heavily kinetic based studios

everything else is gears, halo or forza related
    They are still game developers that work in game studios.

My point is that its not about quantity, its about quality. More studios doesn't mean better games.

Sony is the very example of this.

• Advertisement

Indeed, Xbox does seem to have a lot of useless studios. Sony has a few of their own but obviously have the advantage in terms of the few that do make quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

My point is that its not about quantity, its about quality. More studios doesn't mean better games.

For me Sony have had much better exclusives than Microsoft.

The exclusives for the 360 were pretty average... And that's from someone who only owned a 360 (Until TLOU came out)

Asia

SCE Japan Studio – Ape Escape, LocoRoco, Patapon, Knack
    Team Ico – Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian
    Project Siren – Siren series, Gravity Rush
    Polyphony Digital – Gran Turismo series, Tourist Trophy
    North America

Naughty Dog – Crash Bandicoot series, Jak and Daxter series, Uncharted series, The Last of Us
    ICE Team
    SCE Santa Monica Studio – Kinetica, God of War series, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Entwined
    SCE San Diego Studio – MLB: The Show, ModNation Racers
    SCE Bend Studio – Syphon Filter, Resistance: Retribution, Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    SCE Foster City Studio - supported studio for SCE Worldwide Studios
    Sucker Punch Productions – Sly Cooper series, Infamous series
    Europe

SCE London Studio – SingStar, EyeToy, PlayStation Home
    Evolution Studios – World Rally Championship, MotorStorm series, Driveclub
    Guerrilla Games – Killzone series
    Guerrilla Cambridge – MediEvil, Killzone: Mercenary
    Media Molecule – LittleBigPlanet series, Tearaway

Sce Japan make unique games and while hit or miss they usually create really creative games.

Naughty Dog is a top tier studio and with uncharted series and last of us they are of the biggest studios tat will create amazing games.

Polyphony digital gran turismo series while quality slighly slipped still remians one of sony strongest assests and I believe they can still offer alot of things yet.

Project siren is one of my fav studios guys behind silent hill 1, 2 and 3. gravity rush was one of my favourite games in 2012 and I quite enjoy siren on ps3.

Media Molecule after littlebigplanet and tearaway I firmly believe is sony most creatve and powerful asset , a studio of less than 50 employess out does nintendo at times.

Santa Monica which I am more concerned about after lay offs still was part of some of ps3 best games as the pixel series and god of war.

theres more creative things out of sony than xbox from what I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

But Sony has shown they make more and exclusives that are very high in quality, so that's not true.

MS got caught up in a gears/halo/forza loop for years.

Indeed, Xbox does seem to have a lot of useless studios. Sony has a few of their own but obviously have the advantage in terms of the few that do make quality games.

The problem for Sony is that Microsoft is swimming in massive profit while Sony is choking on massive financial loses.

With all this profit Microsoft can acquire and merge studios. A useless studio can become an awesome studio with the infusion of talent and a tonne of resources.

All its takes is one studio to come out with a killer game and that's were it begins.

Nothing really peaked my interest on PlayStation until I seen Naughty Dog studio's games in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The problem for Sony is that Microsoft is swimming in massive profit while Sony is choking on massive financial loses.

All its takes is one studio to come out with a killer game and that's were it begins.

Maybe they should come out with a killer game then...

With all this profit Microsoft can acquire and merge studios. A useless studio can become an awesome studio with the infusion of talent and a tonne of resources.

You need to get something to fall back on other than the "Sony is poor" aspect. You use it over and over.

MS investors aren't going to want to pump money into first party studios if Xbox is doing badly. It'll cost them millions, and there won't be anything to show for it for 2-3 years at which point it might be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Nothing really peaked my interest on PlayStation until I seen Naughty Dog studio's games in the last few years.

Key word being "can".. But they haven't.

Sony have shown that they "can" do it.

Microsoft are not doing as good regards to windows 8 not being as well received as windows 7 laying off 18,000 people which was one of the worst since the 70s I recall correctly and the losses of xbox one currently shows microsoft are not that well off as you are making it out to be.

Sony have indeed reported losses , closed studios and buildings but they are still quite a huge company and while they are closing there pc business they still do a huge lot of things than just gaming , music movies and tvs.

regards to all sony losses were still willng to buy new ips and acquire studios

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wasnt MS xbox division looking good, because it was coupled with google royalties? It was made to look good so share holders would not flip on the money losses actual xbox does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement