Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

lol, no need to be getting so defensive lads :rolleyes:

Its only facts Sony clocked a $6.4 billion annual net loss. A PlayStation isn't enough to save Sony.

What I am highlighting is Microsoft have the resources to invest in game studios which they have already begun doing.

The Xbox One is still classed as a successful console launch. It may not be as successful as PlayStation but its still in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its only facts Sony clocked a $6.4 billion annual net loss. A PlayStation isn't enough to save Sony.

What I am highlighting is Microsoft have the resources to invest in game studios which they have already begun doing.

The Xbox One is still classed as a successful console launch. It may not be as successful as PlayStation but its still in that category.

Dude, get a new catch phrase, this one is getting boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

WTF!! Who's getting defensive :confused:?
    You said something and others argued your point... Thats how these things work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Please look up the definition of "defensive" and learn what it means, I've lost count of how many times you've wrongfully trotted that line out.
    I'm saying this as someone who thinks both "sides" are equally pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You're right, Playstation is doomed, Sony are obviously going to screw with the bright spot of their business because the other sectors are struggling. Meanwhile, MS are going to be over the moon to pump more money into their struggling console business. /s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Microsoft are not doing as good regards to windows 8 not being as well received as windows 7 laying off 18,000 people which was one of the worst since the 70s I recall correctly and the losses of xbox one currently shows microsoft are not that well off as you are making it out to be.

Sony have indeed reported losses , closed studios and buildings but they are still quite a huge company and while they are closing there pc business they still do a huge lot of things than just gaming , music movies and tvs.

regards to all sony losses were still willng to buy new ips and acquire studios

Almost all of the redundancies were due to Microsoft's seven billion dollar purchase of Nokia, along with the closure of the Xbox TV studios.

Windows 8 has not lit the world on fire, but windows is still a profitable business for them, as it includes both windows 7, and all of the server versions, and paid support for WinXP

Office is their big money maker, and is something that is just continuing to grow.

With all of this, they made 6 billion in profit on 23 billion in revenue.

Compared with Sony, Microsoft are in rude health:
    Sony made a profit of 216 million on a revenue of 17 billion. 146 million of that comes from the sale of buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

alot of sony losses is due to pc business and tv psony recent Quarter posted huge profits

and I firmly believe xbox one launch which was good microsoft expected to do much better and invested to much into there strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

People will look at this thread in 24 months like a time capsule and chuckle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Cormac... wrote: »

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Cormac... wrote: »

Or they'll look at the beginning of the thread and realise we are still arguing the same points. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, there is lots to love with both companies. But supporting one over the other at this point is the difference between Man U and Liverpool.
    No real difference at all.
    And as time draws on the differences are getting smaller and smaller.
    So, can people get over this crap and stop sounding like kids in a playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, there is lots to love with both companies. But supporting one over the other at this point is the difference between Man U and Liverpool.
    No real difference at all.
    And as time draws on the differences are getting smaller and smaller.
    So, can people get over this crap and stop sounding like kids in a playground.

What ? Thats like the worst analogy ever lol !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Microsoft are not doing as good regards to windows 8 not being as well received as windows 7 laying off 18,000 people which was one of the worst since the 70s I recall correctly and the losses of xbox one currently shows microsoft are not that well off as you are making it out to be.

Sony have indeed reported losses , closed studios and buildings but they are still quite a huge company and while they are closing there pc business they still do a huge lot of things than just gaming , music movies and tvs.

regards to all sony losses were still willng to buy new ips and acquire studios

a 2/3rds of MS job cuts were Nokia clashes leaving about 6000 cut from other divisions out of 110,000 so under 5% of staff not related to the merger which for a company as bloat as MS isnt a huge amount

Sony are not out of the ****ter yet with their electronics market collapsing. the sell off of Vaio is a start but by a quick look of their annuals they need to purge the company of almost everything apart from Insurance, Music and Playstation sony also have cut the bones of 25000 jobs over the last 3 years out of their bloated company (~150,000)

MS need Win9 to be a seller. Win8 was never going to sell to their main market (Business) with the strength and adoption of Win 7. there Mobile and Hardware (esp with Nokia) may be an anchor for them but its too early to say

Reading what consoles made money is difficult due to the way companies move money internally.

MS hid the 360's losses with the android patent royalties, sony hid playstation loses by moving CELL R&D costs to Vaio iirc both got up to muppetry to where licensing money went

Either could leave the games industry by the end of this gen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

is this thread still about the xbox one and ps4? should be changed to Sony vs MS seen as were getting into their profits/losses on everything else the companies are invested in :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Xbox One 1080p Obstacle Not Solved by DirectX 12, Witcher Dev Says
    When the next iteration of Microsoft's DirectX software was unveiled at GDC in March, the company promised that it would bring "richer scenes, more objects, and full utilization of modern GPU hardware" for future games on Microsoft platforms. But according to one game developer, this upgraded API will not improve the ability to render games at 1080p on Xbox One.

CD Projekt Red, developer of upcoming RPG The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, stated in an interview with GamingBolt that DirectX 12 would not make it easier to run at higher resolutions. Lead engine programmer Balazs Torok explained, "Most games out there can't go 1080p because the additional load on the shading units would be too much. For all these games DX12 is not going to change anything."

Torok said that games might technically be able to run at 1080, but it won't matter because the resource cost of shading those extra pixels would be too high. "They might be able to push more triangles to the GPU but they are not going to be able to shade them, which defeats the purpose," he said.

So the gap may not be closing...

Otacon wrote: »

It's closing real fast. Having a game like Destiny 1080p on both is a massive statement of where Xbox One is.

Back in June Bungie mentioned that 1080p was possible once they got the new Xbox One SDK that took advantage of the GPU reserve that was for Kinect.

Only a few months ago Watch Dogs was 900p on PS4 and now a game on the massive scale of Destiny is 1080p on both. Big news.

From what I have read Direct X12 won't benefit the Xbox One until late 2015. Although the new SDK released in June is a major step forward.

The article to me seems like a load of excuses why they don't want to make their game 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

While destiny might be 1080p on X1 we dont know yet at what cost. Only know that when its released,who knows if anything was compromised. Lighting,shadows, AA etc

Heres a quote from eurogamer tech analysis articles:
    But before we go on, there's one very important question we need to address. Is any comparison from the beta relevant at all when Bungie has already stated its intention to run the final Xbox One release of Destiny at full 1080p, matching its PlayStation 4 counterpart? Will that increase in resolution come at the detriment of anything else? While the additional 10 per cent of rendering resources afforded by the recent Kinect-unbundling XDK update are welcome, it does not offer up enough GPU horsepower to bridge the gap between 900p and 1080p rendering.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-destiny-xbox-one-beta

The gap will remain,the gpu in the PS4 is just larger,thats a fact!!

As can be seen its not only the Witcher dev that thinks new SDK is not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's closing real fast. Having a game like Destiny 1080p on both is a massive statement of where Xbox One is.

I'm sorry, you've made this point a few times and I genuinely don't understand it. Destiny being 1080p on Xbox isn't a massive statement or anything of the like, because it's also 1080p on PS4. That's not the gap closing, that's simply the gap not getting bigger. For the gap to be closing, Xbox has to offer things the PS4 can't, or have multiplatform games at 1080p but which can only run at 900p on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Penn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, you've made this point a few times and I genuinely don't understand it. Destiny being 1080p on Xbox isn't a massive statement or anything of the like, because it's also 1080p on PS4. That's not the gap closing, that's simply the gap not getting bigger. For the gap to be closing, Xbox has to offer things the PS4 can't, or have multiplatform games at 1080p but which can only run at 900p on PS4.

The gap is the difference between the PS4 and X1 version. So once they're both graphically equal in all games, the gap is closed. Wouldn't make sense to require X1 having a better version to close the gap, that'd only increase the gap but in the opposite direction.

All said, one game doesn't prove anything. Witcher 3 devs have been very supportive of the X1. Where other devs have focused on its weaknesses in interviews, they focused on its strengths. So I'd trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Simply put, if the game versions are equal in every way on Xbox and playstation then the hardware in the playstation hasn't been utilized fully.

An inferior gaming system in terms of hardware should not be able to match it's superior.

The gap was established when both companies announced the hardware of their consoles. That gap cannot close.

However if nobody is able to get more out of the playstations hardware then the extra power in the playstation is utterly useless and was a waste of time putting in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

irishmover wrote: »
    Simply put, if the game versions are equal in every way on Xbox and playstation then the hardware in the playstation hasn't been utilized fully.

An inferior gaming system in terms of hardware should not be able to match it's superior.

That the Playstation 4 is the superior hardware has not been established yet. Even digital foundry won't say that it's more like the difference between the PS3 and 360, both have strengths and weaknesses and sometimes, like the PS3 it can take a few years before those strengths are even utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That the Playstation 4 is the superior hardware has not been established yet. Even digital foundry won't say that it's more like the difference between the PS3 and 360, both have strengths and weaknesses and sometimes, like the PS3 it can take a few years before those strengths are even utilised.

Reading any of Digital foundries articles proves that wrong.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

So if we compare the consoles:

Same cpu,Xbox 1 clock 100MHz faster

Same HDD

PS4 has a larger gpu and 8gbs of gddr5 ram in a unified memory pool

Xbox 1 has 8gb ddr3 ram(2133mhz)and 32mb esram.

So the only unknown being what devs can do with the esram?

Digital foundry compared the gpus in the respective consoles to be comparable to a 7790 and a 7850. The X1 being the 7790 and the PS4 being the 7850. I know its not as simple as that but thats a big gap to close with 32mb's of esram no?

I know esram is pretty powerful tech but is 32mb's of it enough?

EoinHef wrote: »

Same cpu,same hdd.

PS4 has a larger gpu and 8gbs of gddr5 ram

Digital foundry compared the gpus in the respective consoles to be comparable to a 7790 and a 7850. The X1 being the 7790 and the PS4 being the 7850. I know its not as simple as that but thats a big gap to close with 32mb's of esram no?

You forgot that the ONE's CPU while the same is clocked 100Mhz higher.

Varik wrote: »
    You forgot that the ONE's CPU while the same is clocked 100Mhz higher.

Sorry,my mistake. Ill ammend the post,forgot it got a clock boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wolfenstein ran 1080p 60fps across all current gen platforms, so what does that say? To me CD Project Red need to look at their engine and what the iD tech 5 one has that they don't I guess.

calex71 wrote: »
    Wolfenstein ran 1080p 60fps across all current gen platforms, so what does that say? To me CD Project Red need to look at their engine and what the iD tech 5 one has that they don't I guess.

Bad example considering neither PS4 or One ran at a native 1080 throughout, the game used a dynamic framebuffer which has resolution scaled according to engine load and unscaled from there. But the need for scaling varied between the consoles, with PS4 running at native 1080 where the ONE didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

EoinHef wrote: »

Same cpu,same hdd.

PS4 has a larger gpu and 8gbs of gddr5 ram

ESRAM + ddr3 will come close in terms of bandwidth and ddr3 is far more stable for CPUs so its give or take for which on paper is more powerful. better ddev tools and better understanding from devs about how best to utilise it will make it very close

ESRAM is an amazing tech but its a whopping bitch to manufacture

calex71 wrote: »

Theres plenty of games that will run 1080p 60fps on both consoles. That doesnt mean there is no gap in performance between the 2. Some devs will go for platform parity.

My PC can run games at 1080p 60fps but my laptop can also run some of the same games 1080p 60fps,that does not mean they have equal performance.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »

The gap is closing.

Since last November many cross platform games were 1080p on PS4 and 720p on XB1.

By March a few multi platforms on XB1 had increased to 792p and now coming into September we have XB1 and PS4 running a beautiful massive game (Destiny) at 1080p on both systems.

It's also worth pointing out that many cross platform games have been 1080p on both systems since November.

Both Xbox One and PS4 are going to top out at 1080p at 30/60 FPS in this generation. The differences between the 2 will be very small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement