Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

NTMK wrote: »
    ESRAM + ddr3 will come close in terms of bandwidth and ddr3 is far more stable for CPUs so its give or take for which on paper is more powerful. better ddev tools and better understanding from devs about how best to utilise it will make it very close

ESRAM is an amazing tech but its a whopping bitch to manufacture

Id definitely give the software edge to MS being a mainly software based company and Sony traditionally being more hardware orientated.

Is optimisation of the dev kits really going to be enough to close that gpu gap though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Like said earlier, there will always be a difference. Resolution and frame rate are not the only things to a game. There are other graphical effects at play, like better partials, draw distance, AA and textures.

The X1 will go 1080p, but how could you expect it to ever be on par with a GPU that's 50% bigger? It's going to have to compromise on other elements if they want to hit 1080p/60fps like on the PS4. And if they're hitting parity, it's because they're serving the lowest common denominator, which is a shame. Push every bit out of the systems to their max. If that means the X1 doesn't match the PS4, so be it.

I think the exclusives will run away with the graphical achievements this gen, like the last, and show up a big gap between the multiplats if they serve the lowest common denominator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id definitely give the software edge to MS being a mainly software based company and Sony traditionally being more hardware orientated.

Is optimisation of the dev kits really going to be enough to close that gpu gap though?

id say they'll close it to 5-10% difference but what the guy from CDPR was saying is correct DX12 wont get the xbox up to 1080p because the difference between 900p and 1080p at standard viewing distance is barely noticeable for 99% of consumers and isnt worth the resource cost over more detail

neither console will run W3 @1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, there is lots to love with both companies. But supporting one over the other at this point is the difference between Man U and Liverpool.
    No real difference at all.
    And as time draws on the differences are getting smaller and smaller.
    So, can people get over this crap and stop sounding like kids in a playground.

I love the way lots of people thanked this post. Then continued to act like kids in a playground :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The combo of tiled resources, Direct X12 and Esram is very interesting for Xbox One.

The question is are devs going to put the work into learning how to get the best out of the Xbox One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

id say they'll close it to 5-10% difference but what the guy from CDPR was saying is correct DX12 wont get the xbox up to 1080p because the difference between 900p and 1080p at standard viewing distance is barely noticeable for 99% of consumers and isnt worth the resource cost over more detail

This chart is always worth seeing http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mynamewasgone!

Have always been an xbox fan but am almost steering towards a PS4. The exclusive games i'm seeing advertised on the tv for PS4 seem to pretty serious.

I think it will be a larger gap,the optimisations that MS are doing are also being done by Sony.

Team ICE were announced to the public awhile ago as a team that do optimisation for the PS4 SDK. I dont think Sony are just sitting on there hands waiting for MS to catch up through there SDK,Sony are improving their SDK also thus maintaining a gap. MS are not the only ones that will get more from their console over the next few years

I really dont think DX12 or improved SDK is going to close that gap so easily. Gpu is 50% bigger in PS4,real world maybe a 25% increase in power. If say microsoft get 10% more than sony out of their console over the next few years that still leaves approx a 15% gap

A quote from wikipedia about who Team Ice are:
    ICE Team
    Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's World Wide Studios central technology groups. The term ICE originally stands for Initiative for a Common Engine which describes the original purpose of the studio.[9] The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

They already said the PS4 will be 1080p.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EoinHef wrote: »
    I know esram is pretty powerful tech but is 32mb's of it enough?

Who can say, which is entirely my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I only just voted on the poll now, shocked to see the rather small xbox percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Just FYI all modern consoles could run ANY game in 1920x1080 resolution @ 60FPS - it's simply a matter of how much graphical quality the developers are willing to sacrifice to achieve it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Who can say, which is entirely my point.

Fair point,from what i read its about utilization/optimisation of the sram. It needs to be very high percentage wise to help close the performance gap between the two consoles and needs constant work during development.

And will there be enough of it for 1080p for the more graphically demanding games? Thats the big question imo regarding X1's performance in relation to PS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

But surely it is common knowledge Xbone can run games at 1080p also. They'd just be sacrificing more visually. Did the Witcher dev not say as much in his interview? I'm too lazy to try find the article again..

ANYWAYS.
    Is there anywhere anyone would recommend that offers in anyway decent trade in value on PS3 slims, the 250gb models and games (obv). Or are they only taking 500gb nowadays? I have about 3 of the super old fat ps3s if anywhere takes them also :P
    Preferably somewhere that I can trade in against the value of a ps4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Jesus all this talk about resoultions and fram rate , you forget this is a games forum sometime :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its only one thread in fairness, aggravates me when people have nothing to add to the discussion but snobby/snide or the typical "I think both sides are pathetic" comments from way up on their high horse (Not directed at you richy, just some other posts I've read over the last few days).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What actually is the next big release? Is it Destiny?

Still can't wait to checkout Evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

tok9 wrote: »
    What actually is the next big release? Is it Destiny?

Still can't wait to checkout Evolve.

Not sure about dates, but looking forward to diabolo on next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Varik wrote: »
    Not sure about dates, but looking forward to diabolo on next gen.

August 19th, I hope that Gamestop do a €9.99 with the PS3 version like they did with TLOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But surely it is common knowledge Xbone can run games at 1080p also. They'd just be sacrificing more visually. Did the Witcher dev not say as much in his interview? I'm too lazy to try find the article again..

ANYWAYS.
    Is there anywhere anyone would recommend that offers in anyway decent trade in value on PS3 slims, the 250gb models and games (obv). Or are they only taking 500gb nowadays? I have about 3 of the super old fat ps3s if anywhere takes them also :P
    Preferably somewhere that I can trade in against the value of a ps4.

You'll get way more value keeping your PS3 (1 of them ) and using it along side the PS4.

You'll then get free PSN+ games on both PS3 & PS4.

At this stage no where really does a decent trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mod edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Mod edit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »
    August 19th, I hope that Gamestop do a €9.99 with the PS3 version like they did with TLOU.

Considering the PS4 version has the expansion which is also coming out on last gen separately as well I doubt you'll get that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No buying and selling on the forum. Leave that for adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No buying and selling on the forum. Leave that for adverts.ie

Ya didn't have to delete the whole post half of it was on topic :L

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Germans know what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    The German's know what's up.

Germans know quality when they see it. Everything like it should be! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gvqbjtlbo8niv0tcamve.jpg

eyes rolled...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RasTa wrote: »
    eyes rolled...

It is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage. Not to mention that having all the DLC from the start is basically a win button due to ability upgrades and the like.

Does anyone want a Sleeping Dogs re-release? I liked the game but I'd see no reason to re-release it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement