Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Penn wrote: »
    It is getting a bit ridiculous at this stage. Not to mention that having all the DLC from the start is basically a win button due to ability upgrades and the like.

Does anyone want a Sleeping Dogs re-release? I liked the game but I'd see no reason to re-release it.

I played it on PC and loved it. Its a great game, but do we need it rereleased right now? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Someone posted this on reddit, he took a look at the Amazon charts for different countries. All the countries listed are XB1 launch markets.
    Amazon UK: PS4#22 XB1#76
    Amazon Germany: PS4#3 XB1#214
    Amazon Spain: PS4#23 XB1#429
    Amazon France: PS4#41 XB1#328
    Amazon Italy: PS4#23 XB1#723

Original post: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2csb8k/540k_ps4s_sold_in_germany_from_launch_to_june/cjik6an

Gap closing doe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

RasTa wrote: »
    gvqbjtlbo8niv0tcamve.jpg

eyes rolled...

Never mind your eyes rolling... Is it 1080p and 60fps!!!??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Oat23 wrote: »
    Someone posted this on reddit, he took a look at the Amazon charts for different countries. All the countries listed are XB1 launch markets.

Gap closing doe.

Context? :confused::confused::confused:

Cormac... wrote: »
    Context? :confused::confused::confused:

PS4 is doing better than the Xbox One in all major regions... this is a thread about PS4 or Xbox One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

tok9 wrote: »
    PS4 is doing better than the Xbox One in all major regions... this is a thread about PS4 or Xbox One.

Ah ok, wasn't sure if it was units sold, or thousands of units sold or what..... no need to be snippy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Germans know quality when they see it. Everything like it should be! :pac:

david-hasselhoff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ah ok, wasn't sure if it was units sold, or thousands of units sold or what..... no need to be snippy

Shouldn't have used them god awful :confused::confused::confused: face if ya didn't want a snippy remark tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I find it weird people dont mind discussing sales of each console but object to a debate about the hardware in each.

Which imo should be more factor in deciding which console to go for,which after all is what its for

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EoinHef wrote: »
    I find it weird people dont mind discussing sales of each console but object to a debate about the hardware in each.

Which imo should be more factor in deciding fact in which console to go for,which after all is what its for

Well, yes and no. The hardware differences between each aren't really hugely different. Some studios will get better graphics and performance out of them than others. But really, there's not enough of a difference between their hardware to really make it a deciding factor when choosing which console to buy.

Whereas the sales of each console can have more of an influence as for some, it might be an example of which will have more people online, which console more people prefer, which one might get better exclusives further down the road. Obviously, it's nowhere near an exact science. But for casuals who are on the fence, seeing one console outselling another approx 3:1 could definitely be more of a deciding factor than the hardware specs.

• Advertisement

Which imo should be more factor in deciding which console to go for,which after all is what its for

There was a debate about the hardware back a few pages there. There was abject dismissal of the PS4s superior GPU essentially and something about Xbone having 100mhz extra clock speed and the SDK putting it on par (RE: 1080p 60FPS) despite meaning it would have to sacrifice graphically.

Then someone threw a trident at someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Well, yes and no. The hardware differences between each aren't really hugely different. Some studios will get better graphics and performance out of them than others. But really, there's not enough of a difference between their hardware to really make it a deciding factor when choosing which console to buy.

Whereas the sales of each console can have more of an influence as for some, it might be an example of which will have more people online, which console more people prefer, which one might get better exclusives further down the road. Obviously, it's nowhere near an exact science. But for casuals who are on the fence, seeing one console outselling another approx 3:1 could definitely be more of a deciding factor than the hardware specs.

I dunno.

50% bigger GPU is a big difference IMO.

ESRAM is not a GPU

I can understand that,while i have never bought a console based on sales figures some people like them and thats fine. I just dont read the posts that contain them,yet when a discussion about the hardware people seem to object to it.

I just find it strange

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

RasTa wrote: »
    gvqbjtlbo8niv0tcamve.jpg

eyes rolled...

Why even bother with Sleeping Dogs, its sequel is due out in the next few months granted, but it is still fresh enough in people minds that they will not need to get a remaster and the original was cross platform as well.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    There was a debate about the hardware back a few pages there. There was abject dismissal of the PS4s superior GPU essentially and something about Xbone having 100mhz extra clock speed and the SDK putting it on par (RE: 1080p 60FPS) despite meaning it would have to sacrifice graphically.

Then someone threw a trident at someone else.

The debate was about the thing that seperates the two consoles,the way each approached memory. PS4 uses unified pool of fast memory,Xbox 1 uses slower ram but has esram as a buffer.

Dont remember anybody dismissing the PS4 gpu

The debate was about the thing that seperates the two consoles,the way each approached memory. PS4 uses unified pool of fast memory,Xbox 1 uses slower ram but has esram as a buffer.

Dont remember anybody dismissing the PS4 gpu

People said the GPU, despite being a ways bigger. Didn't give it a significant graphical advantage and the Xbone with its new SDK would achieve the same frame rates and resolution. No talk of the scaling down of graphics to achieve such though,

People said the GPU, despite being a ways bigger. Didn't give it a significant graphical advantage and the Xbone with its new SDK would achieve the same frame rates and resolution. No talk of the scaling down of graphics to achieve such though,

Well its does,the debate was how much could the esram negate the fact the PS4 gpu is larger.

The june sdk unlocked 10% more power that was reserved for kinect,that is all.

EDIT: Sorry man im not trying to argue it here,i just wanted to make the point about the hardware disscussion thats it.

Well its does,the debate was how much could the esram negate the fact the PS4 gpu is larger.

The june sdk unlocked 10% more power that was reserved for kinect,that is all.

EDIT: Sorry man im not trying to argue it here,i just wanted to make the point about the hardware disscussion thats it.

*throws trident*

I know I came across a bit aggressively but your post didn't seem like you were looking for a constructive debate.

My apologies.

Xenji wrote: »
    Why even bother with Sleeping Dogs, its sequel is due out in the next few months granted, but it is still fresh enough in people minds that they will not need to get a remaster and the original was cross platform as well.

Sequel? I haven't heard anything on a sequel.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Sequel? I haven't heard anything on a sequel.

Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars, although everything has gone a bit quiet about it, but it was meant to be out at the end of 2014 or early 2015 on next gen consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars, although everything has gone a bit quiet about it, but it was meant to be out at the end of 2014 or early 2015 on next gen consoles.

If it wasn't mentioned at E3 or since I'd be very surprised if it came out this year or early next year.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    If it wasn't mentioned at E3 or since I'd be very surprised if it came out this year or early next year.

I would say summer 2015, United Front Games commented though at the end of June that it was still in development, so at least we know it has not been shelved.

*throws trident*

Out of curiosity what does this mean?

I must be getting old:)

Out of curiosity what does this mean?

I must be getting old:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I dunno.

50% bigger GPU is a big difference IMO.

ESRAM is not a GPU

And this makes no sense. ESRAM is on the GPU first of all. and the PS4 GPU isn't 50% 'bigger'. It has 50% CU graphics cores which equates to about a 20-25% increase in power. The XBox Ones ESRAM means the One has potentially far superior GPU memory bandwidth than the PS4 has. The XBox One also got a 10% boost in clock speed. It's previous clock speed was higher than the PS4's. Although more CU cores is better than brute force clock speeds it's still significant.

What does this all mean? Well nobody can say because comparing vastly different hardware set ups is not like comparing the size of Mr Microsoft's and Mr Sony's respective shlongs. It isn't that simple.

The PS3 had a superior GPU to the 360 in many ways yet the 360 outclassed it when it came to alpha and post processing effects due to a similar memory set up to the One which were very important last gen (and this gen) giving the 360 a big advantage over the PS3 in a majority of games. I'm not saying it will be the same this gen but it's an example where when it comes to tech like this it's not that simple and 99 times out of 100 the machines excel in different areas. It's not even a year into it so nobody can tell for sure yet.

For an example look at last gens two most technically advanced games. Last of Us had some gorgeously detailed textures and lighting due to the PS3's advantage in shader units while Halo 4 really piled on the alpha and atmospheric effects to create some stunning cinematic scenes.

Sony sued over Killzone: Shadow Fall's graphics.
    Sony Computer Entertainment America has been hit with a lawsuit alleging "deceptive marketing" of Killzone: Shadow Fall because the PlayStation 4 game's multiplayer mode does not run at the resolution advertised.

The suit, filed by California resident Douglas Ladore in Northern District California court, alleges that Sony advertised Killzone: Shadow Fall would run at native 1080p resolution but "used a technological shortcut that was supposed to provide 'subjectively similar' results."

In March, Eurogamer's Digital Foundry analyzed Shadow Fall's graphics and reported that the PS4 game's multiplayer component runs at 960 by 1080 resolution — as opposed to 1920 by 1080, or 1080p resolution — with a "high-quality temporal upscale."

The lawsuit alleges that Sony advertised — through videos, its official website, social media and Killzone's retail packaging — would offer 1080p graphics. "Unfortunately, Sony's marketing and on-box representations turned out to be nothing more than fiction," the lawsuit says.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5975983/sony-sued-killzone-shadow-fall-1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah here. Sleeping Dogs. Gwan out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And this makes no sense. ESRAM is on the GPU first of all. and the PS4 GPU isn't 50% 'bigger'. It has 50% CU graphics cores which equates to about a 20-25% increase in power. The XBox Ones ESRAM means the One has potentially far superior GPU memory bandwidth than the PS4 has. The XBox One also got a 10% boost in clock speed. It's previous clock speed was higher than the PS4's. Although more CU cores is better than brute force clock speeds it's still significant.

What does this all mean? Well nobody can say because comparing vastly different hardware set ups is not like comparing the size of Mr Microsoft's and Mr Sony's respective shlongs. It isn't that simple.

The PS3 had a superior GPU to the 360 in many ways yet the 360 outclassed it when it came to alpha and post processing effects due to a similar memory set up to the One which were very important last gen (and this gen) giving the 360 a big advantage over the PS3 in a majority of games. I'm not saying it will be the same this gen but it's an example where when it comes to tech like this it's not that simple and 99 times out of 100 the machines excel in different areas. It's not even a year into it so nobody can tell for sure yet.

For an example look at last gens two most technically advanced games. Last of Us had some gorgeously detailed textures and lighting due to the PS3's advantage in shader units while Halo 4 really piled on the alpha and atmospheric effects to create some stunning cinematic scenes.

ESRAM is just for the GPU information to pass through and be pulled from. The small size of it limits the amount of data that can be passed through it.
    Regardless of how fast it is potentially (even though those are hypothetical potential speeds you speak of, not the speeds that are mainly seen), the small size is still a bottleneck. Large amounts of RAM that is generally the same speed is better.

Also worth pointing out that even with the extra 100Mhz, the PS4 CPU still scores better than the X1 CPU in certain performance tests.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-CPU-More-Powerful-Than-Xbox-One-CPU-According-Benchmark-Test-61203.html

Plus, if I remember right the 360 had the better GPU whilst the PS3 had the better CPU with the cell processor. May be wrong on that count though.

I don't know why people still argue about the specs. It's clear the PS4 is more powerful, it's evident in the games, and on paper. Just leave it and enjoy the games on X1 anyway. The difference shouldn't be enough to stop you from enjoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ESRAM is just for the GPU information to pass through and be pulled from. The small size of it limits the amount of data that can be passed through it.
    Regardless of how fast it is potentially (even though those are hypothetical potential speeds you speak of, not the speeds that are mainly seen), the small size is still a bottleneck. Large amounts of RAM that is generally the same speed is better.

Also worth pointing out that even with the extra 100Mhz, the PS4 CPU still scores better than the X1 CPU in certain performance tests.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-CPU-More-Powerful-Than-Xbox-One-CPU-According-Benchmark-Test-61203.html

Plus, if I remember right the 360 had the better GPU whilst the PS3 had the better CPU with the cell processor. May be wrong on that count though.

I don't know why people still argue about the specs. It's clear the PS4 is more powerful, it's evident in the games, and on paper. Just leave it and enjoy the games on X1 anyway. The difference shouldn't be enough to stop you from enjoying them.

You're right about the PS3 & 360 GPU. The increase in clock speed on the One is actually 150Mhz, I posted 100Mhz earlier but it was wrong.

Totally pointless, anyone in the US who bought the game more than likley also played the game and agreed to the "don't sue us" clause that's 100% legal in the US for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement