Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xenji wrote: »

Sony up to its old tricks with deceptive marketing :mad:

Its good to see them getting a wrap on the knuckles for this kind of dodgy marketing. You don't see Microsoft advertising Ryse as a 960p game then running it at 900p.

They were almost doing the same thing again when they advertised Watch Dogs as 1080p on PS4 before admitting it wasn't possible and scrapping the advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What a ridiculous lawsuit. Who is the victim in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah Failsafe.. seriously, come on.

I can't even believe lawsuits like this can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Its good to see them getting a wrap on the knuckles for this kind of dodgy marketing. You don't see Microsoft advertising Ryse as a 960p game then running it at 900p.

They were almost doing the same thing again when they advertised Watch Dogs as 1080p on PS4 before admitting it wasn't possible and scrapping the advertisement.

What a troll post if I ever seen one... Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Yeah sony ffs

How dare they use dirty marketing tactis

So much worse than drm policy and telling your consumers to if you dont like xbox one policies you can basically shove it

**** sony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

What a ridiculous lawsuit. Who is the victim in this?

That gamers are the victims

Big cooperations shouldn't get away with lying to make them or the product they are selling look better than what the competition is selling.

It's cheap and dirty

• Best thread ever all it needs is a top up every now and then :D

Before the sony haters/Xbox defenders get in their high horse here. Read this.

http://realgamernewz.com/23530/microsoft-is-false-advertising-xbox-one-is-not-an-all-in-one-media-device-after-all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

irishmover wrote: »

http://realgamernewz.com/23530/microsoft-is-false-advertising-xbox-one-is-not-an-all-in-one-media-device-after-all

Sony Microsoft up to its old tricks with deceptive marketing

Its good to see them getting a wrap on the knuckles for this kind of dodgy marketing. You don't see Microsoft Sony advertising Ryse as a 960p game then running it at 900p.
    The PS as an All-in-one System

etc etc etc

That's a completely different thing.

And anyway most of that article is irrelevant now anyway you no longer need a gold sub to access Netflix, YouTube etc..

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »

And anyway most of that article is irrelevant now anyway you no longer need a gold sub to access Netflix, YouTube etc..

How is false advertising different to false advertising?

Microsoft and Sony are awful at strategic marketing just like any other big company.

That law suit is beyond stupid and will most likely get a #Murica beside it.

How is false advertising different to false advertising?

Microsoft and Sony are awful at strategic marketing just like any other big company.

That law suit is beyond stupid and will most likely get a #Murica beside it.

Microsoft added the t & c to the add which states the missing sections.

The same as pretty much every other tv ad on tv

You don't really think you can actually get a brand new audi for 250 euro per month do you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm convinced that most of the posters actually taking part in this thread are bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

3727390-1171196867-23243.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Respectfully, these are your words:
    Big cooperations shouldn't get away with lying to make them or the product they are selling look better than what the competition is selling.

It's cheap and dirty

Yes, it's a different scenario to the one you commented on but the sentiment of your statement should apply to this also, why is it that rather than echoing your condemnation you seem to deflecting this criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I like ham

Respectfully, these are your words:

Yes, it's a different scenario to the one you commented on but the sentiment of your statement should apply to this also, why is it that rather than echoing your condemnation you seem to deflecting this criticism?

Firstly I won't deny that my criticism is more so directed towards Sony then ms as I'm debating for Ms and against Sony

But In my own opinion There's a difference to having a message stating that the extras are required to achieve the same result as in an advisterment

Then stating that something runs better than it actually is. (using the facts in this thread too my knowledge Sony haven't used any kind of t&c stating that the game isn't as shown)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ESRAM is just for the GPU information to pass through and be pulled from. The small size of it limits the amount of data that can be passed through it.
    Regardless of how fast it is potentially (even though those are hypothetical potential speeds you speak of, not the speeds that are mainly seen), the small size is still a bottleneck. Large amounts of RAM that is generally the same speed is better.

It might be a bottleneck but it still remains to be seen if it is still a bottleneck. Nobody can conclusively state that it is. Theoretically the XBox One has a huge advantage in memory bandwidth over the PS4 it's just the small size means it has to be managed correctly to get that bandwidth increase.

Again it can't be said yet for sure whether it is a disadvantage or an advantage (again more than likely it will mean both machines excel in different areas). It's worth noting that the same GPU memory set up caused headache for developers on the PS2 and 360 but once they got their heads around it it lead to those machines having advantages in areas against competitors with much more advanced video hardware.

Also worth pointing out that even with the extra 100Mhz, the PS4 CPU still scores better than the X1 CPU in certain performance tests.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-CPU-More-Powerful-Than-Xbox-One-CPU-According-Benchmark-Test-61203.html

Well that test is absolute nonsense. All it shows is that on a game engine (which could or could not be optimised well) runs better on 360. Unreal ran better on 360 while frostbite ran better on PS3 last gen, you can infer nothing from that. However I would expect the PS4 to GPU to outperform the One GPU in most benchmark tests. The eSRAM really only affects post processing such as AA and alpha affects usually not covered by most benchmarks.
    Plus, if I remember right the 360 had the better GPU whilst the PS3 had the better CPU with the cell processor. May be wrong on that count though.
    Varik wrote: »
    You're right about the PS3 & 360 GPU. The increase in clock speed on the One is actually 150Mhz, I posted 100Mhz earlier but it was wrong.

Sorry lads both wrong there. The PS3 GPU was far more advanced than the 360 GPU. It had far more CU cores and shader units than the 360 and should have stomped it but the 360's eDRAM set up gave it an advantage in a few areas and with most third party developers.
    I don't know why people still argue about the specs. It's clear the PS4 is more powerful, it's evident in the games, and on paper. Just leave it and enjoy the games on X1 anyway. The difference shouldn't be enough to stop you from enjoying them.

I'm not being a fanboy, I don't own either console and would definitely get a PS4 over a XBox One since it has the potential to offer far more down the line catering to my tastes but the thing is it's not clearly evident which console is more powerful. It's more than likely that both will end up excelling in different areas. It's far too early to make a definitive statement like that. It's just plain wrong to definitely state one is better than the other at this stage and more than likely it will end up that neither one or the other are better at everything. As comparison the PS3 from digital foundries articles at the same point in its life cycle was an utter disaster compared to the 360.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Firstly I won't deny that my criticism is more so directed towards Sony then ms as I'm debating for Ms and against Sony

But In my own opinion There's a difference to having a message stating that the extras are required to achieve the same result as in an advisterment

Then stating that something runs better than it actually is. (using the facts in this thread too my knowledge Sony haven't used any kind of t&c stating that the game isn't as shown)

Wow, thank you for your honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Its the same stuff time and time again , it was not so long ago wii u was labelled weaker than ps3 and 360 or equal to last gen hardware because quick awful ports were ported over to it at launch.

Too soon to say what is going to be stronger , I cannot wait till games come out so we can actually have a conversation about games than stupid resoultion and fps

• Advertisement

Didn't Microsoft pay a bunch of YouTube reviewers to give good Xbox one reviews months ago? Remember it sparked a big debate on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Didn't Microsoft pay a bunch of YouTube reviewers to give good Xbox one reviews months ago? Remember it sparked a big debate on here.

Yes through machinima,they got a fair bit of flak over it!

In fairness i think the clause was not to talk about the things they didnt like,only to talk about the things they did like. Thus making the reviews terribly unbalanced.

They all seem to be at it,EA has that ronku program as well. Another very dishonest and distasteful program.
    Jackfrags seems to be EA/Dices public speaker now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yes through machinima,they got a fair bit of flak over it!

In fairness i think the clause was not to talk about the things they didnt like,only to talk about the things they did like. Thus making the reviews terribly unbalanced.

They all seem to be at it,EA has that ronku program as well. Another very dishonest and distasteful program.
    Jackfrags seems to be EA/Dices public speaker now
    Im off topic here but If anything Jack frags is probably the only full time battlefield commentator who is always criticising EA and dice.He already made a video explaining the situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311tmt063hw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I like ham

Chicken is the far superior choice. It has way better exclusives (wings, thighs, drumsticks, breasts etc.) Also, the American butchers tried to put up that ridiculous DRM policy (Don't request more). Like, seriously? If I want more, I'll buy more. They were fairly quick about doing a 180 on it though, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Im off topic here but If anything Jack frags is probably the only full time battlefield commentator who is always criticising EA and dice.He already made a video explaining the situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311tmt063hw

Can I sue Battlefield?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Not imo,he only revealed the ronku link after all the criticism about the MS and Machinima situation.

Ive seen the video,also only released after the uproar.

Each to there own man,its just my opinion. This is something that will divide people as its a personal thing. I think he got caught out.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Can I sue Battlefield?

Only the PS4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sorry lads both wrong there. The PS3 GPU was far more advanced than the 360 GPU. It had far more CU cores and shader units than the 360 and should have stomped it but the 360's eDRAM set up gave it an advantage in a few areas and with most third party developers.

The eDRAM and the unified memory on the 360 was it's biggest advantage but the stating that the Ps3 had far more CU cores and shader units than the 360 is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Keno wrote: »
    Chicken is the far superior choice. It has way better exclusives (wings, thighs, drumsticks, breasts etc.) Also, the American butchers tried to put up that ridiculous DRM policy (Don't request more). Like, seriously? If I want more, I'll buy more. They were fairly quick about doing a 180 on it though, thankfully.

Chicken only runs at 2kilos, whereas pork runs at many multiples of that. And can chicken run my favourite application? Pulled Pork? Not a hope! You're just a Nandos fan boy!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    The eDRAM and the unified memory on the 360 was it's biggest advantage but the stating that the Ps3 had far more CU cores and shader units than the 360 is bull****.

Yep I was getting ahead of myself. The Ps3 had the advantage with it's shader pipelines which while it didn't have as many as the 360 it's pipelines were far more efficient giving it a big advantage in that area. It also helped that the SPUs of the CPU could be used like extra cores to take some work away from the GPU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement