Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

ems_medic wrote: »
    This thread is sad as there is clear elements of fanboys on both sides but it has to be said the playstation people here are a bit on the deluded side in terms of some of the arguments put forward and things they have tried to ignore.

Personally, myself I was flip flopping between both consoles but have decided to opt for the Xbox One due to its media features and the only good game I hear people constantly talking about is the last of us, not much of an option really.

http://www.listwar.com/released-games/

I think you're wrong if you think The last of US is the only good game the PS4 has. However it's probably the greatest game of the last 10 years and you won't get a game on the PS4 or Xbox One that will come close to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last of Us is a great game, an important game, but certainly not the greatest game of the past ten years.
    Dark Souls 2 is generally recognised as being better, for example.
    TLOU isn't a system exclusive either, seeing as it's also available on the PS3.
    But neither console, PS4 or XB1, has any exclusives yet that truly dazzle in the manner of the exclusives on the WiiU, but I'm sure that will change.
    Having bought a PS4 I'm kind of counting on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Last of Us is a great game, an important game, but certainly not the greatest game of the past ten years.
    Dark Souls 2 is generally recognised as being better, for example.
    TLOU isn't a system exclusive either, seeing as it's also available on the PS3.
    But neither console, PS4 or XB1, has any exclusives yet that truly dazzle in the manner of the exclusives on the WiiU, but I'm sure that will change.
    Having bought a PS4 I'm kind of counting on it!

Preferring Dark Souls 2 over the Last of US is fine, they are completely different games, but stating it is "generally recognised as being better" is based on nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dark Souls 2 is generally recognised as being weaker than Dark Souls 1.

For every improvement they made, they also took a step back in other areas. And this is obvious when you discover that DS2 wasn't made by the same team as the original. That team moved onto Bloodborne.

Both Dark souls games are worth playing but neither come anywhere near the quality of The Last of Us and I can't stress that enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls is the better game over Dark Souls 2. I'd take that over Last of Us any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd be really surprised if anyone thought Dark Souls 2 was the better Dark Souls game.

As a game for me.. there is no doubt that Dark Soul is genuinely one of the best games of the last generation and does beat out TLOU for gameplay alone.

That said I'd find it really difficult to pick one over the other as TLOU is just such an amazing experience.

It'd be like making a parent choose his/her favourite kid! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They're both excellent games that push the potential of games in very different ways (although I have to say Left Behind is even more subtly progressive than the main game). Ain't that enough?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The last of us was a great experience but its not even close to being on the same level as any of the souls games (imo), but they're both great games but all for very different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dark Souls = Demon's Souls > TLOU > Dark Souls 2, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Will we be comparing Fifa 15 to Civilisation 5 soon?

I dont know how can anyone say That Tlou is better then Dark souls or the other way around. Its like comparing apples to oranges.

• Advertisement

They're not being compared really. One can be judged to be better than the other as gaming experiences go, for that person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Opinions are like bungholes, everyone has of one and I like mine un interfered with!
    But, yes, I'm really enjoying Dark Souls 2, I enjoyed The Last of Us immensely and felt it did more for the nature of storytelling in the medium than any game since HL2.
    But the gameplay in TLOU was just another version of Uncharted, so polished, great to play but by the time we played TLOU it was nothing new.
    And the game was incredibly linear, but it had to be, and the mocap work was stunning, but it was expected given the skill in Uncharted.
    Dark Souls and it's sequel though, simply incredible, and they are up there with the Portal games for some of the most fun I've had this last generation.

But, that's just my opinion man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Opinions are like bungholes, everyone has of one and I like mine un interfered with!
    But, yes, I'm really enjoying Dark Souls 2, I enjoyed The Last of Us immensely and felt it did more for the nature of storytelling in the medium than any game since HL2.
    But the gameplay in TLOU was just another version of Uncharted, so polished, great to play but by the time we played TLOU it was nothing new.
    And the game was incredibly linear, but it had to be, and the mocap work was stunning, but it was expected given the skill in Uncharted.
    Dark Souls and it's sequel though, simply incredible, and they are up there with the Portal games for some of the most fun I've had this last generation.

But, that's just my opinion man

two completely different games but as much I as I loved the last of us its little annoyances always makes me give it a 8.5/9 than a perfect ten. playing through it again on ps4 I forgot just how boring the game is at the start and it takes some playing through just to get to the game where it picks up and becomes wonderful after.

In terms of storytelling I still feel at the bottom of my heart Silent Hill 2 is the best in both story telling and gameplay mixing with story. Unmatched Atmosphere and achieved so much more than other titles with prob not as much of a budget as most AAA titles and was plagued by bad voice acting but still after so many years It still sticks with me and I shake off this feeling I will only remember the last of us as a game I enjoyed than so many other people claim its the best game ever made and a masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Pfft. You're missing out man!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Top 10 GTrailer controller of all times. I dont agree completely with the list, but its a fun watch if you got a few minutes.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/is377o/gt-countdown-top-ten-controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Having disc drive issues with my ps4 :(

Dodgy sticks. Busted drive. I don't think I'd ever buy a second hand console, unless it was a Dreamcast or SNES or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Indeed, the only ever consoles i've bought second hand were a fat PS3 and an old xbox 1.... both lasted about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The gap still exists seemingly.

Source: Digital Foundry vs Metro Redux
    We'll cover like-for-like performance on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in a forthcoming pre-launch update, but we're going into that testing with the expectation of very close results. Differences kick in at the resolution level: PS4 hits its 60fps target at full 1080p, while Xbox One currently stands at a curious 912p native resolution - that would be something in the region of 1620x912 (assuming square pixels). The original plan for Xbox One was to ship at 900p, but the June XDK update (returning the Kinect GPU resources to developers) has allowed for a tiny resolution boost - our guess here is that 4A opted to bank the additional resource to help lock down that all-important frame-rate rather than really push the pixel-count. If so, that's the right trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Grayditch wrote: »
    Dodgy sticks. Busted drive. I don't think I'd ever buy a second hand console, unless it was a Dreamcast or SNES or something.

You're gonna be keeping it for years until it breaks our you move up to the next iteration, so I don't think it's worth saving €50-€100 in the short term.

• Advertisement

I bought a second hand ps3 slim with no issues when my fat ps3 went bust and bought an xbox 360 off a mate about 4/5 years ago after my launch model went bust with no issues. It is pot luck really but the second controllers are always pure rubbish, i wonder do people be hopping them off the ground for the craic before they trade them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Grayditch wrote: »

Well tbh the analogue sticks were worn due to use. And the drive shouldn't be iffy the console is 6 months old. Seems to be a few guides on how to fix the drives manufacturing issues apparently.

Anyways not to worry if it is gone ill return it to Sony for a free repair or replacement :)

I have a preowned PS4 and I was quite worried initially, with the drive seeking all over the place with a particular game.
    Turned out the game was slightly grubby, necessitating a clean and, sure enough, everything worked.
    I do say slightly though, the tolerance of the PS4 for fingerprints and other such slight aberrations of the surface of the discs seems a lot lower than any other console I own.
    And, as for buying preowned, most of the 60 machines I own are second hand from someone, excluding my WiiU, PS3 and 360.
    Though I'm on my 2nd PS3 and 4th 360, also my 2nd Wii. The others have been fine and dandy thankyouverymuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dark Souls is the better game over Dark Souls 2. I'd take that over Last of Us any day of the week.

But you don't like TLoU :p 90% of your posts in the TLoU thread are complaining about different aspects of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Well tbh the analogue sticks were worn due to use. And the drive shouldn't be iffy the console is 6 months old. Seems to be a few guides on how to fix the drives manufacturing issues apparently.

Anyways not to worry if it is gone ill return it to Sony for a free repair or replacement :)

What's it doing?

Or not doing as the case may be?

Not reading discs or something?

Sony should sort it even if you bought it second hand.....

I'm about to bring back my 3rd DS4 since launch this afternoon....

L2 button gone tits up this time, I will be getting a direct replacement from GS, not sending it anywhere, they can....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Davei141 wrote: »
    I bought a second hand ps3 slim with no issues when my fat ps3 went bust and bought an xbox 360 off a mate about 4/5 years ago after my launch model went bust with no issues. It is pot luck really but the second controllers are always pure rubbish, i wonder do people be hopping them off the ground for the craic before they trade them in.

It really is Pot luck. I had two preowned ps3s and they were both perfect nick (so much so the first one got robbed :pac:) no issues with the second one either. This early in a consoles life cycle however, I'd say you're better off paying the extra 50-100 and buying new as opposed to preowned imo.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    It really is Pot luck. I had two preowned ps3s and they were both perfect nick (so much so the first one got robbed :pac:) no issues with the second one either. This early in a consoles life cycle however, I'd say you're better off paying the extra 50-100 and buying new as opposed to preowned imo.

Definitely agree, early on in the consoles life I always go for new every time. The later models always last longer and have less issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

The only game I have now for XB1 is Fifa. Waiting for a wave of good games which will hopefully come Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The Xbox One is the underdog against the PS4 in Microsoft's new ads

link:
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/8/5983559/the-xbox-one-is-the-underdog-against-the-ps4-in-microsofts-new-ads

finally the marketing department has stepped up a gear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Otacon wrote: »
    The gap still exists seemingly.

Source: Digital Foundry vs Metro Redux

Right move using the extra resources to lock in the frame rate, I know I'd not see the benefit of upping it to 1080p on my tv but I will appreciate the solid frame rate for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement