Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just a little point on people saying EA aren't 'as bad' as they were not so long ago. Here's a list of all the features missing from Sims 4. If this comes to pass, they've actually taken the game back a generation or two. :P

Link
    That list is so big its actually sad if it releases like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

With consoles you dont so if sony feels ea access is not worth it , its their choice not to use it. We do not have a say

Thats the really sad thing about it.

I thought it was a real slap in the face to PS4 gamers when Sony came out and said it didn't represent good value to Sony gamers.

I'd bet that they didn't want any subscription service that would possibly take money away from PS Now.

I thought it was a real slap in the face to PS4 gamers when Sony came out and said it didn't represent good value to Sony gamers.

I'd bet that they didn't want any subscription service that would possibly take money away from PS Now.

Not many PS gamers agree with you. Ya know, because of the Subscription service already in place that offers more than a single publisher's games that PS subscribers have been offered on three different platforms for 50 dollars a year that also covers for their online fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am all for options, but I really really don't care about this EA thing And say it that it is a slap to ps4 users is a joke on its own.
    PS4 users are not missing out on anything as for now. That deal works for a very specific client as it includes games that are old and will be replaced in few months and on top of that, the fans of those games will have them bought already.
    When EA will show how often they will update roaster and with what, then we will be able to say if it's good or bad call by Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There is no customer or consumer choice when it comes to consoles , for any choice a consumer has is on pc , unfortunatley the console maker dictates whats best for that system and how they should run it.

On pc you have a choice to run windows or linux , to buy your games from steam , origins or gog.

What servers you want to enter what servers you want to buy , you have a choice

With consoles you dont so if sony feels ea access is not worth it , its their choice not to use it. We do not have a say
    I was always a "oh, fúck off pc master race" gamer. But with this generations consoles being so meh, I really think a dedicated gaming pc hooked up to the TV in my sitting room is the way to go. Perfect media player too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

It has to be noted that EA are not good to the people that buy there products at full retail so I also feel the ea access is going to be even a more shady service.

they cannot even properly support origins properly up to the standards of other pc services so what people are expecting to see that its going to be any different here ?

even the free games that are offered on origins like sims have all spyware to spy on your hardware , I remember reading the link somewhere and I cannot find it right now but when I do I will post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Not many PS gamers agree with you. Ya know, because of the Subscription service already in place that offers more than a single publisher's games that PS subscribers have been offered on three different platforms for 50 dollars a year that also covers for their online fee.
    I'd have liked the option to sign up for it myself tbh, I mean it wasn't gonna be a mandatory payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was always a "oh, fúck off pc master race" gamer. But with this generations consoles being so meh, I really think a dedicated gaming pc hooked up to the TV in my sitting room is the way to go. Perfect media player too.

you cannot go wrong owning a pc , the gap between consoles and pcs are so close its hardly noticing anymore the difference between the two since they get alot of the same games.

even though I have a gaming pc I prefer to buy games on consoles cause I like to own things physcial but once the market shifts from physical to digital I gaming on pc solely I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The reason games are given for free on PS+ and Games With Gold is mostly as either advertising for an upcoming sequel, or to entice more DLC sales.

Using the Battlefield series as an example, EA having their own subscription service separates that from the existing services. It means that, on Xbox One, the likelihood of Battlefield 4 appearing on Games With Gold is close to zero, whereas Battlefield 3 was on PS+ last year. EA Access not being on PS4 means if EA want the additional bump of advertising and DLC sales, their only option is to offer it through PS+, which players are already paying for.

This means Battlefield 4 will not appear on Games With Gold, as XBO players can get it through EA Access. However, it might appear on PS+ in the future.

Giving PS4 players the choice of using EA Access removes the chances of EA titles appearing on PS+ for those who don't want to use it, and potentially devalues the PS+ program.

Obviously, we have no idea of the business models and deals behind the scenes, but there were valid reasons for MS to offer EA Access, and there are valid reasons to reject it like Sony did. Only time will tell which side was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sony made the right decision telling EA to F off.

I have not trusted EA since before Origins. Downloaded the origins Beta when it was first coming. Terrible cheap version of steam. Which I believe they still haven't fixed. Majority of games released by EA have game breaking bugs in them.

Anyone remember Star Wars the old republic? Bioware who have made some excellent games before that developed it. Who was the publisher? How unfinished and terrible was it at release? Strange how EA were involved.. Bioware now aren't the same company..

Despise EA. Microsoft can have the, inevitably doomed and broken, EA Access service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Penn wrote: »
    The reason games are given for free on PS+ and Games With Gold is mostly as either advertising for an upcoming sequel, or to entice more DLC sales.

Using the Battlefield series as an example, EA having their own subscription service separates that from the existing services. It means that, on Xbox One, the likelihood of Battlefield 4 appearing on Games With Gold is close to zero, whereas Battlefield 3 was on PS+ last year. EA Access not being on PS4 means if EA want the additional bump of advertising and DLC sales, their only option is to offer it through PS+, which players are already paying for.

This means Battlefield 4 will not appear on Games With Gold, as XBO players can get it through EA Access. However, it might appear on PS+ in the future.

Giving PS4 players the choice of using EA Access removes the chances of EA titles appearing on PS+ for those who don't want to use it, and potentially devalues the PS+ program.

Obviously, we have no idea of the business models and deals behind the scenes, but there were valid reasons for MS to offer EA Access, and there are valid reasons to reject it like Sony did. Only time will tell which side was right.

A few massive over generalisations there.
    Given the two big games on the PS+ are Crysis 3 and Fez I'd sure love to see this sequel/dlc you mention for either....
    And, as it's relevant to the other big point you make, EA games not appearing on PS+, Crysis 3 is a EA game.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Given the two big games on the PS+ are Crysis 3 and Fez I'd sure love to see this sequel/dlc you mention for either....
    And, as it's relevant to the other big point you make, EA games not appearing on PS+, Crysis 3 is a EA game.

Crysis 2... so much hype after how great the first one was... There's another great game ruined by EA, thanks for reminding me!

Emm. He said games "Usually" appear on these things prior to a sequel DLC. I've noticed it a few times in the past. Not that it is always the case.

For your second point. He said you're more likely to see EA game on PS over the Xbox one.. Games..gold .thing ..

I admit I made generalisations. The games offered for free are usually down to a sequel or DLC, but of course that's not always the case.

As for Crysis 3, my point was that if Sony offered EA Access, that would decrease the chances of EA games not appearing on PS+. Regardless, as this is a current gen (PS4/XBO) feature, it doesn't affect the previous gen. Again, time will tell whether this will happen or not. There's no chance anyone here knows. My post was merely my thoughts and opinions on the situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Emm. He said games "Usually" appear on these things prior to a sequel DLC. I've noticed it a few times in the past. Not that it is always the case.

For your second point. He said you're more likely to see EA game on PS over the Xbox one.. Games..gold .thing ..

I stand corrected on the second point, but I don't see the first one at all.

Well, put it this way, why would developers allow their games to be given away for free? Sure, they might be over a year old and not selling much any more, and they're likely subsidised a bit by Sony/MS for it. But take Hitman Absolution for example. It was on PS+ about 6 months after release. Why allow their game to be given for free? DLC sales. I decided not to buy Sleeping Dogs when it came out, but when it was on PS+, I said I'd give it a try. Ended up spending about 15 quid on DLC for it, €15 the developer wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Likewise, Battlefield 3 was on PS+ a few months before BF4 was released. Think similar happened for a few other games. Release the game for free, people might try it out where they wouldn't have otherwise bought it, if they like it they might buy the sequel.

Hell, same happens on Netflix. Movies or TV shows are added before the sequel/next series. It's an advert for the next product.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd really have to read up more about EA Access, but it definitly looks like it could be a plus point for the Xbox One from where I'm standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just for some recent examples..
    Metro Last light - full dlc pack had just been released.
    Bioshock Infinite - Burial at Sea 2 either had or was about to release
    Outlast - On release plus dlc out at the end of the month.
    Soul Sacrifice - Delta was coming out soon
    Rayman Origins - Legends on the way
    BF3 - Final DLC released - BF 4 2-3 months away

That just off the top of my head.

Edit: Just thought of AC3 also - came to PS+ just a bit before Black Flag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I wonder if all the ps guys would be bashing EA Access as much if it was on the ps4. (waits for how great ps+ is)

yes i know the games are a little old but lots of people will still buy them
    i know a guy who waits until a game is in the bargain bin until he picks it up

to be honest its a good deal and i guess when this takes off for ea other will follow suit

one of the main reasons for this i suspect is to try and take away more from preowned game sales.

its going to be a long time before we start seeing full games on ps+/GWG.
    so for the moment the best way to get full games cheaply will be EA Access.
    which is xbox only.

i can also see that when sony turned down ea that that would have damaged the talks they would have for future deals
    and i suspect ea will approach MS first with any ideas they may have

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I wonder if all the ps guys would be bashing EA Access as much if it was on the ps4. (waits for how great ps+ is)

yes i know the games are a little old but lots of people will still buy them
    i know a guy who waits until a game is in the bargain bin until he picks it up

to be honest its a good deal and i guess when this takes off for ea other will follow suit

one of the main reasons for this i suspect is to try and take away more from preowned game sales.

so for the moment the best way to get full games cheaply will be EA Access.
    which is xbox only.

i can also see that when sony turned down ea that that would have damaged the talks they would have for future deals

Personally, this is good news :)

But because so many people purely buy consoles for the next iterations of FIFA I'm sure this will boost sales a bit in a year or two for Xbox.

I wouldn't have purchased it on PS if it was there anyway so I really don't mind that it's not on PS. I'm not sure if people who currently own a PS4 would go out and buy an Xbox One because of this EA access though.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »

But because so many people purely buy consoles for the next iterations of FIFA I'm sure this will boost sales a bit in a year or two for Xbox.

that's a good point when you factor in how many people buy fifa every year
    i only see this a bigger slap in the face to ps4 owners

Edit: nice ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I wouldn't have purchased it on PS if it was there anyway so I really don't mind that it's not on PS. I'm not sure if people who currently own a PS4 would go out and buy an Xbox One because of this EA access though.

I can't imagine anyone switching consoles for this. Its more of a thing for people who have not decided yet
    Like an extra "pro" Choice for the xbox one if you like ea games. Better then having an extra con I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JackGM

Not an option, but PC offers way more games at cheaper prices. Get a decent machine, and you can run a crapload of games. Steam, GOG, Origin, Amazon, and HumbleBundles are just some of the stuff that's on offer to the consumer on PC, all of whom compete with each other meaning lower prices for the end-user. The modding communities for some PC games is stellar, I've played mods better than the game itself. On PS4 and Xbone you're limited to the marketplaces owned by Sony and Microsoft, or game retailers. Thats why console games are so much dearer. PC is the way to go, and upgrading means there's no such thing as last gen.

that's a good point when you factor in how many people buy fifa every year
    i only see this a bigger slap in the face to ps4 owners

Edit: nice ninja

I don't see how. Anyone that wants FIFA 15 badly will get it release day in September on either Xbox or playstation. People aren't going to wait for however long it'll be to get FIFA 15 on EA access. This doesn't change a thing in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think a lot of us have said it's a good deal but it's not something I'd purchase personally.

I disagree with this. We already know the Driveclub+ version is coming out when Driveclub releases and I'd wager we'll probably see more triple A games appearing then.

With that said this stigma against Indie games is getting really annoying. I've actually really enjoyed a lot of the games offered (Resogun is still easily one of the best 8th gen games out imo)

In terms of PS+ I don't really see it damaging Sony really - EA will give a game if/when it wants to promote the next game.

As it is EA and MS seem to be pretty close for some time now.

Edit: A few posters may want to lower their expectations of EA Access. There won't be any sports titles on it until at least 6 months after they have launched and I'd actually wager it'd be closer to 2-3 months away from the next iteration

I don't see how. Anyone that wants FIFA 15 badly will get it release day in September on either Xbox or playstation. People aren't going to wait for however long it'll be to get FIFA 15 on EA access. This doesn't change a thing in that regard.

but they will get 10% off it if they buy it on release day.
    and your not thinking of people with limited funding.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone switching consoles for this. Its more of a thing for people who have not decided yet
    Like an extra "pro" Choice for the xbox one if you like ea games. Better then having an extra con I suppose :pac:

how cant you there are people who switch and swap between consoles all the time. just because it doesn't really appeal to you doesn't mean its not a complete mind changer for someone else.

i know a guy who started out with a wii u then bought a xbox one then went ps4 (because of the last of us) who knows he might go pc gamng next or back to wii u. :pac:

tok9 wrote: »

I disagree with this. We already know the Driveclub+ version is coming out when Driveclub releases and I'd wager we'll probably see more triple A games appearing then.

driveclub ps+ is only a demo can hardly refer to it as a full game

from the sony blog
    One of the recurring questions we keep seeing is about the scale of the PlayStation Plus Edition. The simple answer is that with an active PlayStation Plus subscription, you can download DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition, which comes with one location (India), 11 tracks, 10 cars and access to all game modes.

and you get the option to get the full game for a one time upgrade fee of $49.99 :pac:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/07/driveclub-playstation-plus-edition-details-2/

I love this repeated use of the phrase "Slap in the face".

Personally I'd find it an overwhelming stinging thunderous tear-jerking slap in the face if the Ps4 didn't offer me 60fps at 1080p ... but it does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

but they will get 10% off it if they buy it on release day.
    and your not thinking of people with limited funding.

how cant you there are people who switch and swap between consoles all the time. just because it doesn't really appeal to you doesn't mean its not a complete mind changer for someone else.

i know a guy who started out with a wii u then bought a xbox one then went ps4 (because of the last of us) who knows he might go pc gamng next or back to wii u. :pac:

It appeals to me
    read my last few posts :)

Simply saying a service like this won't get people switching in the masses , sure maybe one or two here and their but its a service for people who already own an xbox one (like myself) or people who are on the fence who might see it as a positive thing and go the xbox route

edit: I hope it turns out to be a great thing, as it stands it really appeals to me, saves me a nice few quid, maybe if it turns out to be a big thing like EA hope it does, it will open up and offer alot more, possible games 2-3months after release? maybe not but theirs a possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just want a slap on the arse from Bloodborne.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement