Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think some of you are massively overestimating how much the average Joe console gamer cares about something like EA access. The majority will either never hear about it or could give 2 ****s. PS+ was incredible value prior to PS4 being launched.. much better than this EA sub... but even it took users being forced to pay for online for it to take off.

On paper it sounds very niche...as fans of EA games probably aren't going to get value from it as they can most likely buy games cheaper in retail and probably won't want to wait 10 months for a chance of it being free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

dunworth1 wrote: »
    driveclub ps+ is only a demo can hardly refer to it as a full game

and you get the option to get the full game for a one time upgrade fee of $49.99 :pac:

You can hardly refer to it as a demo either. It has all the game modes of the full version and as you've pointed out, there is a discount if you want to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

dunworth1 wrote: »
    but they will get 10% off it if they buy it on release day.
    and your not thinking of people with limited funding.:

10% is great but would have to buy a lot of games with the 10% to make up the €23 so if you plan on getting a bunch of EA games a year on release day (I hope not.....) then it'll be beneficial. Other than that it isn't..

People with limited funding still won't wait however long it'll take to come onto the EA access for the newest version of FIFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They should still have offered to their customers IMO.

If it was going to cost them money, then that was their call. If it wasn't (which I doubt), then it was a dumb move
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    But its EA's access programme, if anything EA would have to pay sony to have it on the playstation, not the other way around.

Given the nature of the product, it's highly probable that EA would've wanted money for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

JackGM wrote: »
    but PC offers way more games at cheaper prices.

Oh my. MOAR GAMEZ.
    Get a decent machine, and you can run a crapload of games. Steam, GOG, Origin, Amazon, and HumbleBundles are just some of the stuff that's on offer to the consumer on PC, all of whom compete with each other meaning lower prices for the end-user.

What is this steam you speak of? Like hot air? Amazon? Like the rainforest? Bundles that are humble? Please teach us more oh wise PC owner. Our small console brains can only process a small amount of memory at a time (LIEK OUR STOOPID CONSOLEZ LOL)
    PC is the way to goand upgrading means there's no such thing as last gen.

pk0evzj.gif

So you're upgrading to play newer games. Console gamers should try and d....Oh wait. We do. Every new generation.
    The modding communities for some PC games is stellar, I've played mods better than the game itself. On PS4 and Xbone you're limited to the marketplaces owned by Sony and Microsoft, or game retailers. Thats why console games are so much dearer. PC is the way to goand upgrading means there's no such thing as last gen.

Why have we never heard of these mods things? They sound amazing.

OH WAIT

We know games are cheaper on PC. We know about mods. We know everything about PC gaming. But we choose to buy a console.

Why?

Some of us want to spend €400 on a gaming machine and be done with it. No tinkering. No upgrading. Just have the same console for 5,6,7 or 8 years and have it run the games from year 1 to year 8 without any hassle. Some of us are fine in paying extra for the games. Buying digitally on an American account sees most new games cost less than €40. We also get things like PS+, Games with Gold, EA Access etc.

Some of us just want to sit on the couch and play a few games for an hour. A console does this just fine.

Some of us want to play some of the best games ever. TLOU, Mario, Shaq Fu, Zelda, Halo. The list goes on and on and on.

I used to PC game. A lot. I loved it. But I never once acted like a lot of PC heads on these forums and beyond about how "You should totally get a PC, man. PC's are sooooooo much better than consoles. They are so great. Did I mention how good they are?" It's as if you're not fully happy with your PC unless you tell us console peasants.

Every time a PC gamer comes to proclaim how great they are, in a console thread, a lot of us are like....

i-get-the-concept.gif

You're not gonna convince anyone to not get a console/sell it to get a PC by listing off features we are all fully aware of. We use PC's. We know what they can do. This is a console thread so next time, remember...

akUOxRL.gif

/RANT.

tumblr_inline_n9wi9u8AT71r47jjc.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Last of Us is a great game, an important game, but certainly not the greatest game of the past ten years.
    Dark Souls 2 is generally recognised as being better, for example.
    TLOU isn't a system exclusive either, seeing as it's also available on the PS3.
    But neither console, PS4 or XB1, has any exclusives yet that truly dazzle in the manner of the exclusives on the WiiU, but I'm sure that will change.
    Having bought a PS4 I'm kind of counting on it!

The masses clearly disagree though. In terms of dominance the PS4 and Wii U have switched places from the Wii and PS3. Last gen both launched side by side and this gen Wii U had a decent head start and a cheaper price tag.

The general console gamer is over Mario IMO and would consider the games on PS4/XB1 more important. As for the best game of a gen, The Last of Us has that due to it's record breaking game awards. If a Mario game got those awards I'd likewise say it was the game of a gen. Maybe not to you personally but The Last of Us is truly genius and I only realized that after completing it on survivor without the easily defeated enemies, realistic damage and no hearing perks. A masterpiece that has raised the bar for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

But isn't that like saying Taylor Swift is the greatest musical artist of the last few years due to being extremely popular and winning critical acclaim? Or worse Justin Bieber.

The last of us was fantastic, that's true. It was a benchmark setter but that's not to say Dark Souls, Mario 3D world, Fallout 3, Uncharted 2 etc etc couldn't compete for game of the generation and set their own benchmarks.

Also the last of us released in completely different circumstances to any Wii U game to date, comparing it on sales and popularity doesn't really make sense. Both consoles it released on had a massive user base. As for gamers growing out of Nintendo games... uhh

Danonino. wrote: »
    But isn't that like saying Taylor Swift is the greatest musical artist of the last few years due to being extremely popular and winning critical acclaim? Or worse Justin Bieber.

The last of us was fantastic, that's true. It was a benchmark setter but that's not to say Dark Souls, Mario 3D world, Fallout 3, Uncharted 2 etc etc couldn't compete for game of the generation and set their own benchmarks.

Also the last of us released in completely different circumstances to any Wii U game to date, comparing it on sales and popularity doesn't really make sense. Both consoles it released on had a massive user base. As for gamers growing out of Nintendo games... uhh

I wasn't comparing them on sales. SUre most Mario's would sell much more than The Last of Us could ever hope to. It was a new IP and survival horror so it's a no brainer. I meant more important sales in terms of the Wii U vs PS4.

The PS4 got a bigger sales boost from TLOUR than the Wii U got from Mario Kart 8. But my main point was that all the console exclusive games the PS4 has over the Wii U is what ensures the system sells more. Obviously hardcore nintendo fans will say they have the best games but the masses disagree. They would rather play GTA or Battlefield or Uncharted on their Playstation's than Mario or Zelda on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

@keno Lol,agree with some of your points but could have been made without the sarcasm/gifs/fanfair:p

Consoles are convenient but that privilege comes at a cost eg yearly sub for online,closed platform,pricier games,no mods etc(i could go on but they have been listed!)

I own a PS4 and happily pay PS+ because of all the free games i get with the sub which add value and the exclusives on PS platform,the same way games with gold/EA sub/MS exclusives etc add value to xbox 1. But in shear price/value ratio IMO a PC will win in the end as the games are so cheap,like currently €18.75 for Watchdogs,€23.15 for Wolfenstein New Order,BF4 for €19.68 (i could go on again...but you already know this)the cost of the system at the start is offset by the games being cheaper and you have upgrade options. If you spent €600 on a PC now you would still in 10/20/30 years have a PC that is still better at playing games than a PS4/Xbox 1 WITHOUT an upgrade bar maybe an OS when absolutely needed. But you know all this already....i dont think anybody is looking down on anybody,im certainly not as i can see the value in consoles as well as PC's. Fact is PC's are great value after the initial cost of the system,and again imo as convenient as consoles and getting easier to use by the day. After all an industry that could potentially be worth more than $20 billion a year should probably not be ignored,and thats hardware only....

Each to there own man,the post you quoted was basically listing the pros of PC against the console platform,which has been allowed by the mods of this thread unless im mistaken. Your are allowed to discuss different platforms as long as its relevant

EoinHef wrote: »
    @keno Lol,agree with some of your points but could have been made without the sarcasm/gifs/fanfair:p

Consoles are convenient but that privilege comes at a cost eg yearly sub for online,closed platform,pricier games,no mods etc(i could go on but they have been listed!)

I own a PS4 and happily pay PS+ because of all the free games i get with the sub which add value and the exclusives on PS platform,the same way games with gold/EA sub/MS exclusives etc add value to xbox 1. But in shear price/value ratio IMO a PC will win in the end as the games are so cheap,like currently €18.75 for Watchdogs,€23.15 for Wolfenstein New Order,BF4 for €19.68 (i could go on again...but you already know this)the cost of the system at the start is offset by the games being cheaper and you have upgrade options. If you spent €600 on a PC now you would still in 10/20/30 years have a PC that is still better at playing games than a PS4/Xbox 1 WITHOUT an upgrade bar maybe an OS when absolutely needed. But you know all this already....i dont think anybody is looking down on anybody,im certainly not as i can see the value in consoles as well as PC's. Fact is PC's are great value after the initial cost of the system,and again imo as convenient as consoles and getting easier to use by the day. After all an industry that could potentially be worth more than $20 billion a year should probably not be ignored,and thats hardware only....

Each to there own man,the post you quoted was basically listing the pros of PC against the console platform,which has been allowed by the mods of this thread unless im mistaken. Your are allowed to discuss different platforms as long as its relevant

Not disagreeing with anything you've said but do the laws of supply and demand not apply to steam? If 50 million console gamers switched to steam wouldn't the prices increase dramatically? It's a great service BTW although only use it very sparingly. CBA upgrading my PC for advanced games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with anything you've said but do the laws of supply and demand not apply to steam? If 50 million console gamers switched to steam wouldn't the prices increase dramatically? It's a great service BTW although only use it very sparingly. CBA upgrading my PC for advanced games.

Maybe,PC gaming might be in a really great place at the moment but who knows if it will last. I really cant see Ubisoft being happy with the price of Watchdogs quoted above but fact is at the moment thats how cheap the game is. Steam is also not the only game client,so PC is not totally reliant on it. Dont get me wrong its the major player,and rightly so based on there service imo,ive no complaints about steam. But a lot of games can be downloaded from plenty of different places. To me thats the nature of an open platform,major competition,lower prices. Closed platform equals less competition,higher prices:(

Again though im not saying everyone should drop there consoles and buy a PC,the benefits of consoles are well established,just that no one should object to people listing the benefits of PC as a gaming platform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The masses clearly disagree though. In terms of dominance the PS4 and Wii U have switched places from the Wii and PS3. Last gen both launched side by side and this gen Wii U had a decent head start and a cheaper price tag.

The general console gamer is over Mario IMO and would consider the games on PS4/XB1 more important. As for the best game of a gen, The Last of Us has that due to it's record breaking game awards. If a Mario game got those awards I'd likewise say it was the game of a gen. Maybe not to you personally but The Last of Us is truly genius and I only realized that after completing it on survivor without the easily defeated enemies, realistic damage and no hearing perks. A masterpiece that has raised the bar for gaming.

I'm not sure where on earth you are coming with this talk of Wii PS3 WiiU and PS3. I've no idea why you are even bringing it up.
    It is obvious that the PS4 has this generation race beat, at least for the next year or two barring something unprecedented from MS, but either way the WiiU is unlikely to catch them and thats ok.
    PS3 and Wii sales are utterly irrelevant, honestly.
    My point was this
    I simply do not believe that there are any games on the PS4, and I own one, to compare to those on the WiiU, which I also own, not yet anyway.

OK.
    This may come as a shock.
    The Last of Us
    The game has been used as The Reason to buy a PS4.
    But...
    It's a last gen game given a makeover.
    Though everything that is substantial and remarkable about it, and it is both a I've played and finished and loved it, is on the original PS3 title.

And when looking at "game of a gen" then you might take Edge magazines word for it when it determined that Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 were the best games of this console generation thus far.
    And the general console owner buys Fifa every year, thankfully I'm not him/her.

PS+ gives me free games, and cross platform purchases so I can install Fez on my Vita, PS4 and PS3 if I wanted and, happily, play off the same game save on each.
    And that's a really good reason to buy a PS4.
    It was one of the goods reasons why I bought one, together with Bloodborne and No Mans Sky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wasn't comparing them on sales. SUre most Mario's would sell much more than The Last of Us could ever hope to. It was a new IP and survival horror so it's a no brainer. I meant more important sales in terms of the Wii U vs PS4.

The PS4 got a bigger sales boost from TLOUR than the Wii U got from Mario Kart 8. But my main point was that all the console exclusive games the PS4 has over the Wii U is what ensures the system sells more. Obviously hardcore nintendo fans will say they have the best games but the masses disagree. They would rather play GTA or Battlefield or Uncharted on their Playstation's than Mario or Zelda on the way.

How did you reach this conclusion?
    Is it in terms of percentage increase in sales or sales numbers?
    Have you a link to the figures?
    Thanks.

And not everyone who likes to play Mario or Zelda is a "hardcore nintendo fan", it's that kind of game representation that puts people off buying the WiiU, but not, it seems the 3ds, which seems to be appealing to the masses quite nicely, though it hosts some great selling Mario and Zelda games.
    And the gaming masses do not seem to be moving to the PS4 for exclusives at all, they are going where the perceived best games are, and that means Fifa, Assassins Creed, Need for Speed and Call of Duty, which consistently sell bucket loads and ate selling better on the PS4 than on the XB1, probably because of the install base.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JackGM

@Keno

Right. Okay. Sarcasm appreciated but not necessary. Just throwing in my thoughts :P Not trying to start a flame war here, but I was merely recommending the platform I use. You really didn't have to throw your entire .gif collection at me :). I do own the PS4, but I do't like the paid online, it was free on the PS3 and the only reason it was put there for the PS4 was because they could get away with it. That's not something a consumer should want. The XBone was marketed with always online DRM. That does not help the end user at all. Though they later removed the feature, it shows that Microsoft did not have the customer in mind when they built it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I am not sure in what fantasy you got your information from but this is total nonsense.

Firstly mario tends to always sell in double digits and nintendo games still gather sales years after release for instance pokemon soul silver and heart gold are still selling 100,000s of copies as it has being reported yesterday.

New super mario bros series has sold 4 million plus copies on a wii u thats userbase is in the region of 6/7 million , that is better per centage than the last of us on ps3 with a userbase of 80 million and only sold 7 million copies.

Awards mean nothing at the end of the day , like the oscars you could have 20 amazing films but one film like the hurt locker gets the most awards because its all hyped in the media.

Last of us is a great game but it most certainly does not reach new heights or raises the bar in videogames. When the next new game comes along last of us will be forgotten about , always happens cause I remember gta 5 was the best game ever made aswell and no one seems to talk about that anymore.

Last of us is only admired the way it is because of how the story is presented and how the cutscenes are so naturally fluid and beautiful is why people love it , you remove that you got another generic third person shooter.

And even in story telling it does not come close to the likes of silent hill 2 which I respect your opinion but silent hill 2 is the pinnacle of story telling , atmosphere and gameplay mixed with story.

New super mario bros on the wii sold 30 million copies and on handhelds and consoles its always reaches double digits.

The notion that people rather play thing that brought up is really silly . People rather play minecraft , league of legends , angry birds or flappy birds if you are going by numbers.

Its pointless and needless , you simply cannot belittle the legacy of mario or zelda no matter how much you try, and talk about raising the bar mario galaxy 1 and 2 raised the bar for videogames as a game imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't agree with you at all regarding TLOU but one thing I guarantee, it will not be forgotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going to put this as a general warning: do not use .gifs, memes or pics as a way to get in some cheap digs or sarcasm. They're completely unnecessary and almost always add an unwelcome tone to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Battlefield bad company 2 for me was amazing, it opened my eyes to online gaming.

Overall the greatest game ever had to be super Mario 3 what a work of gaming brilliance.

The last of us is brilliant but it's not the greatest game ever the story is captivating and the gameplay is excellent

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't agree with you at all regarding TLOU but one thing I guarantee, it will not be forgotten.

Sure I am not dissing the game its still great but Its not the all and be all of videogames , it borrowed from much to of other movies like children of men and its gameplay is not exactly out of this world or anything we have not seen before, but I do not expect it to as the gameplay sole purpose is just to thrive the stroy on like many other games but it does a somewhat better job mixing than bioshock infinite in its same year but I much preferred bioshock infinite way of telling its story than last of us

Both games I gave 9s but not masterpieces 10s as I have few issues with both but hardly any of them should be considered for best game ever made.

But thats my personal opinion

TLOU is the best story driven game I've played in a long time and imo the game as a whole takes a big steaming dump on bioshock infinite imo.

It has a legitimate claim for ONE of the best games ever made imo, but really you can't have just one game as the best ever because genres are so different it's like saying someone is the greatest sportsperson ever.

Comparing dark souls or Mario galaxy to TLOU is like comparing Michael Jordan or Pele (who may not even be the greatest in his sport) to Jack Nicklaus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Sure I am not dissing the game its still great but Its not the all and be all of videogames , it borrowed from much to of other movies like children of men and its gameplay is not exactly out of this world or anything we have not seen before, but I do not expect it to as the gameplay sole purpose is just to thrive the stroy on like many other games but it does a somewhat better job mixing than bioshock infinite in its same year but I much preferred bioshock infinite way of telling its story than last of us

Both games I gave 9s but not masterpieces 10s as I have few issues with both but hardly any of them should be considered for best game ever made.

But thats my personal opinion

Just out of interest. I always hear people saying this and listing off "Children of Men etc" what other films does it borrow from cause I wanna watch em :P

Magill wrote: »
    TLOU is the best story driven game I've played in a long time and imo the game as a whole takes a big steaming dump on bioshock infinite imo.

It has a legitimate claim for ONE of the best games ever made imo, but really you can't have just one game as the best ever because genres are so different it's like saying someone is the greatest sportsperson ever.

Comparing dark souls or Mario galaxy to TLOU is like comparing Michael Jordan or Pele (who may not even be the greatest in his sport) to Jack Nicklaus.

genres are quite different and also have to take into account one might just own a playstation or xbox or nintendo , pc or one might have started gaming in the ps1 , n64 era and might have missed out on 8bit/16bit so peoples games of choice they most love are so vastly different but I see no problem comparing games when it comes to story.

Last of us is one of the best playstation games but It would not be my top 20 list of videogames personally as I feel there have been games that have been more games that have done a better job.

not to take anything away from tlou I still think its wonderful but it just how I feel :)

Yes, but I really really liked the story in Bioshock Infinite, and the visuals were incredible.
    Again, nothing but love for TLOU, it was one of the top 10 games of all time for me, but it had serious competition this past generation, and it's still not a current gen game just because a polished remake appears on the PS4

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just out of interest. I always hear people saying this and listing off "Children of Men etc" what other films does it borrow from cause I wanna watch em :P

The Road is another one that was strongly influenced.

:D

there are one or two more that are quite similar to the last of us but I cant remember the name , when I can think of it I let you know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I really like bioshock, and bioshock infinite, and bioshock 2, I just don't think the bioshock series as a whole is as important as people (or the games media) seem to think it is. The last of us skyrockets past it in terms of story driven gameplay in terms of games released last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The Road is another one that was strongly influenced.

:D

there are one or two more that are quite similar to the last of us but I cant remember the name , when I can think of it I let you know :D

See one or two people have tried to convince me that the Road is another influence and I simply do not see it. I think people need more to point to than "There are two main characters, an adult and a teenager and they're in a post apocalyptic world" . I can totally see the Children of Men similarities.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    See one or two people have tried to convince me that the Road is another influence and I simply do not see it. I think people need more to point to than "There are two main characters, an adult and a teenager and they're in a post apocalyptic world" . I can totally see the Children of Men similarities.

I was told by a friend that he read somehwere that Neil Drunkmann and Bruce Stranley said the road was one of the big influence for the last of us. I personally never seen the film but its what I heard :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was told by a friend that he read somehwere that Neil Drunkmann and Bruce Stranley said the road was one of the big influence for the last of us. I personally never seen the film but its what I heard :P

It's worth a look , certainly not the usual take on post apocalypse, it's quite bleak and not a happy film, but they do skirt away from a few parts of the book that would have made it even more difficult to watch.

Edit: They talk movies in this one http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-last-of-us-developers-talk-movie-influences-an/2300-6417191/

genres are quite different and also have to take into account one might just own a playstation or xbox or nintendo , pc or one might have started gaming in the ps1 , n64 era and might have missed out on 8bit/16bit so peoples games of choice they most love are so vastly different but I see no problem comparing games when it comes to story.

Last of us is one of the best playstation games but It would not be my top 20 list of videogames personally as I feel there have been games that have been more games that have done a better job.

not to take anything away from tlou I still think its wonderful but it just how I feel :)

I know its personal opinions and all that, and really TLOU for me might just squeak into my top 10-15, but what games do you think have done a better job ?

• Advertisement

Actually I Am Legend, book rather than the film adaptions, is a better fit, it has plenty of 50s/60s dystopian Scifi in there, with a generous helping of 70s/80s body horror film to boot.

It's a fine example of story telling and atmosphere, tied together with a solid game engine and mo cap work that doesn't build a lot on what was used in Uncharted 3, but then that was well put together too.
    The gameplay though, again it's solid, but it's not terribly remarkable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement