Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a games platform the pc has probably hosted more revolution than any other, in every genre, and then it has so many titles that aren't available any where else.
    In a lot of ways consoles are only playing catch up with the pc, visuals, control, access to independent games, streaming, use of online libraries of titles, homebrew amd so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah RasTa, very good point, do you go by the alternate names of Pot, Kettle or Black?
    And I've been round here for a while, seemed like a good idea at the time.... ;)

2d8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

RasTa wrote: »
    2d8.gif

What's he saying? I turned the volume up but I still can't hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What's he saying? I turned the volume up but I still can't hear.

He's saying That's the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That .gif came out really loud on my speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Very off topic, but what the hell is up with Argos and thier pricing O_o its laughable and I had to share.

for example: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1419315.htm €73 for a dualshock 4. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

They're £55 in their Northern stores, works out about 66eu... still a bit mad for a damn controller like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Harvey Norman has them for 54 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Thats why I feel no pity for people who don't shop around :pac:
    Pretty sure PC world has Xbox One controllers for 50 quid actually. These might be without play and charge kits though I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Danonino. wrote: »
    Very off topic, but what the hell is up with Argos and thier pricing O_o its laughable and I had to share.

for example: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1419315.htm €73 for a dualshock 4. lol

Yeah Argos seem to be trying to rip off as much as possible with the new gen stuff and usually their prices are pretty reasonable for newly released games :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I nearly considered buying one, a PS4, yesterday, came across one on Amazon for cost.... Only lasted a nanosecond though.
    Interesting that they are still or there though, rather than pay those thieving gits on Adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/03/ps4-global-sales-update/

2.1m PS4s sold so far, think it's a record launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

danthefan wrote: »
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/03/ps4-global-sales-update/

2.1m PS4s sold so far, think it's a record launch.

They are gonna hit their estimates then, probably would of eclipsed them if they had the stock to meet supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I finally got my chance to try out the PlayStation 4 at the PS4 rooms in Dublin.
    Be aware I do own an xbox one ;)

My first point of call was to check out the controller. I first tried the analog sticks. I have to say their position feels great. The D pad and buttons are all great. I didn't like the triggers and the L1 and R1 buttons were sticking the odd time when clicked. In comparison I think the DS4 is massive jump ahead on its predecessor however the Xbox One controller is on a whole other level.

I played Resogun first because I was curious to see what its like after reading so many good reviews about it. Its a real arcade style game, it is very addictive and fun to play. It wouldn't be my cup of tea but I was surprised that I wasn't moving on to the next game as quickly as I thought I would be.

Another surprise game was Knack. Once I started playing it I found it difficult to move on, I wanted to play it more. Its a game that looks like it can easily run on the PS3.

Next I looked at Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts. I wanted to see how it compares to the Xbox One version. I have to say it looked exactly the same. I know the resolution is better on the PS4 versions but my eyes couldn't tell the difference.

Killzone Shadowfall looks beautiful and I enjoyed a round of the campaign mode. Its just another FPS, no FPS campaign is really standing out at the moment on any console.

Driveclub is fun and looks great. Forza does look better and it plays better, especially with the independent rumble on each trigger.

I played Assassins Creed and I liked it, the naval aspect to it is really enjoyable, it looks great. I cant offer a comparison thou because I have not played it on the XB1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Xbox One the better launch lineup, well from a pc gamer's point of view anyway.

If I had a choice to play one right NOW for the weekend it would be the Xbone but ask me again in 12 months and I'm sure I'd say PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like there are a lot of complains about Xbox one.
    http://kotaku.com/as-xbox-one-complaints-increase-microsoft-promises-imp-1475593849

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Edge article is pretty scathing, Eurogamer did a similar article today as well, but this site is a good idea http://xboxfeedback.com/

Xenji wrote: »
    The Edge article is pretty scathing, Eurogamer did a similar article today as well, but this site is a good idea http://xboxfeedback.com/

I have to say, that is a great idea for website. Should be same for ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Lol @ any article from Kotaku regarding Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

DaLad wrote: »
    Lol @ any article from Kotaku

FTFY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony have done a amazing job as they do hyping up and marketing their console with little to no mistakes and quickly addressed the problems and fixes from last generation I can see wii u being the next sega saturn

I think sony have done a really poor job of marketing the PS4. The reason they are doing so well is that MS managed to mess up so badly that if Sony did nothing they would still come out with silly sales numbers.

I wouldn't count Nintendo out just yet. Nintendo are clever enough to change gears with whatever they bring out next and even if the WiiU isn't a big seller they will still be able to keep it profitable in the long run. The WiiU won't be the next saturn but it will probably be the next Gamecube.

This new round of consoles and handhelds has shown that mobile and tablets exist in a seperate market to consoles and handhelds and don't eat into their market.

Steam might however be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sony’s consoles have sold more in two days than Nintendo’s Wii U has sold in a year since its launch in November 2012.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/ps4-beats-xbox-one-to-become-uks-fastest-ever-selling-console-8977399.html

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think sony have done a really poor job of marketing the PS4.

??

It's the fastest selling console in the history of consoles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

??

It's the fastest selling console in the history of consoles

Doesn't mean their marketing was good. MS messed up so badly that they practically did Sony's marketing for them. Anyway there's also a few other factors to consider. The PS4 is entering a market that has grown bigger with each generation and is one of the very few console launches that hasn't been hampered by severe supply constraints. I doesn't mean their marketing is good.

Doesn't mean their marketing was good. MS messed up so badly that they practically did Sony's marketing for them. Anyway there's also a few other factors to consider. The PS4 is entering a market that has grown bigger with each generation and is one of the very few console launches that hasn't been hampered by severe supply constraints. I doesn't mean their marketing is good.

Nonsense, explain why the Wii-u is doing so poorly. Their launch titles are pretty average and you still have people in Europe and US going nuts for them.

Concise, clear marketing message from Sony this time around about being for gamers etc has led to the unprecedented hype with a little help from MS being silly.

What aspect was bad?

Nonsense, explain why the Wii-u is doing so poorly. Their launch titles are pretty average and you still have people in Europe and US going nuts for them.

Concise, clear marketing message from Sony this time around about being for gamers etc has led to the unprecedented hype with a little help from MS being silly.

What aspect was bad?

With the amount of stock they have and the market being bigger than it ever has been they'd have to do something really stupid not to have the biggest launch ever. Something as stupid as Microsoft did.

Not sure why you are bringing the wiiu into it unless you need a straw man to back up your argument.

Songs marketing has been really lazy and lacklustre but then Microsoft have handed them a slam dunk so they can be safe. If you want to see good marketing look at the ps1 launch for a truly amazing marketing campaign. The difference there is Sony managed to go from a nobody to the biggest player in the market in a very short time.

If it really is an amazing marketing campaign I'd like to know what aspects you think are good. Sales figures are the product of a campaign not, the actual campaign and can a lot of the time be a product of many market factors, not just the marketing.

With the amount of stock they have and the market being bigger than it ever had been they'd have to do something really stupid not to have the biggest launch ever. Something as stupid as Microsoft did.

Not sure why you are bringing the wiiu into it unless you need a straw man to back up your argument.

Well the wii-u is an example of a console entering this bigger market an failing badly so far. That is what I would call poor marketing.

Sony or MS, no chance. Also it is a Nintendo thread hence me mentioning them and whoever decided to release Mario 3D World on the same day as the PS4 in Europe and the XB1 in US also needs to be sacked.

All that matters from a marketing perspective is the figures and you can't argue against them. You might have not liked their style but that's more down to personal preference then anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

You are some what correct Sony just let microsoft sink their own ship and nintendo have just been fiddling around with blocks killing off time and thinking but too fundamental factors have to be taken into account on how sony generated hype

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

While People got so excited for something that never changed with drm the way ps4 displayed their conference to leave the people watching slowly giving treats instead of all announcing it at once was pretty smart

also the whole this is for the players makes consumers believe the ps4 is for them and makes it feel that a company for once is listening to the consumer

All that matters from a marketing perspective is the figures and you can't argue against them. You might have not liked their style but that's more down to personal preference then anything.

The final figures might be all that matters in the long run but aren't indicative of a good marketing campaign. Something can succeed with poor or no marketing, look at minecraft or dark souls.

The wiiu has been a dreadful example of marketing, the name in particular really was poorly thought out, however it really has nothing to do with the quality of sonys marketing.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but I call bull**** on Sony's "bad" marketing. It was good. They did a good job, play rooms, those "arty" things in Towns, trailers, lots of ads on TV, demo units in gamestop ( I did not see a single Xbox one or Wii u demo unit) . On top of that they gave to gamers what they wanted: a gaming devices first.

Microsoft ****ed up and that's their own fault. Their **** up only helped Sony.
    Wii U marketing - now that was a pile of ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement