Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

dunworth1 wrote: »
    you mean ps4 owners

gamers on xbox one are unaffected

Both PS4 and PC owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I presume it's just a timed exclusive if it was already in development for the PS4. Is it really going to hurt people's feelings to wait 6 months to play a game?

Titanfall says hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Completely agree.

Looks like MS is doing "Titanfall" again. They dont have any good IPs themselves, so they just throw money at developers to buy out exclusive right. In all this situation the one who gets ****ed is an average gamer.

This is why MS are not able to match the exclusives of Sony and Nintendo. The latter heavily invest in exclusives and that has built them a solid pedigree in that regard.
    MS has a really business-like* approach to gaming, and it's like, "yeah, we'll just buy them off, be grand, that'll do and keep people happy enough". It's a bare minimum, lazy sort of attitude which isn't anywhere near as present in Sony or Nintendo -especially Nintendo.

*and by business-like, I understand it's all a business. But there's just no love for the games like in the case of Sony and Nintendo. It's console painting-by-numbers. "How can we invest the least amount, yet still satisfy people just enough to buy our console?".
    It's not contributing to gaming at all, it's actually leaching away at creative risks and decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't see the issue myself tbh. It's up to the studios to accept the offer or not. Crystal Dynamics/Square Enix obviously ran the numbers and figured they'd do better accepting the deal than not. It's a shame, especially considering the series' roots with Playstation. But it has to be expected that some games, whether by third party studios or not, are going to be exclusives.

As much blame lies with the studio as with Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Microsoft dont have the balls to invest in new IP so they just money hat "stable" IP.
    No class MS

*snip*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do Sony have any third party exclusives? AFAIK they just spend their money on their first party studios, and the odd second party studio like QD.

No Man's Sky (timed exclusive, yes), The Witness, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture... Although in the latter two cases for sure I'd say it was partially influenced by Sony's more receptive approach to experimental and independent developers, at least initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Is it really going to hurt people's feelings to wait 6 months to play a game?

Have you met People??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What was it like 50 mil MS paid Rockstar for timed exclusive DLC for GTA 4? If so imagine how much a AAA full game exclusivity would cost. Actually, it would be great if Sony bought exclusivity to GTA V on next gen. They won't do that though, they're too busy spending money on in-house devs and supporting Indie devs!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ems_medic

Completely agree.

Looks like MS is doing "Titanfall" again. They dont have any good IPs themselves, so they just throw money at developers to buy out exclusive right. In all this situation the one who gets ****ed is an average gamer.

Not the average gamer just PS4 players. Is that not the point of exclusives in the first place to make you want to buy an XB1 etc.

If its not a game that warrants buying an XB1 then its not really any skin off PS4 players noses.

It does show clearly that MS arent done by any stretch in the consile dept desoite what alot of others here might think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

No Man's Sky (timed exclusive, yes), The Witness, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture... Although in the latter two cases for sure I'd say it was partially influenced by Sony's more receptive approach to experimental and independent developers, at least initially.

Rumours going around today that No Man's Sky is becoming fully exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dunworth1 wrote: »
    you mean ps4 owners

gamers on xbox one are unaffected

Thats a complete Fanboy look at it. In general it will effect gamer ( not fanboys ), as the stuff that he should be able to get on his current platform is now behind other console pay wall.

Its a very ****ty way of doing it and I hope its not going to catch on. Sony can pull same **** any time too as they will try to top MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Just a question here for some of the defensive Xbox fans.
    Which would you prefer -
    1. Tomb Raider releasing on all platforms and MS spending the money developing their own game so you get two games.
    2. MS spending the money on stopping Tomb Raider from coming to PS4/PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Has it been confirmed one way or the other if it's full exclusive or timed? Looking at the statement sheehy posted in the ROTTR thread, it sounds like it's full exclusive.

In the case of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and No Man's Sky at least, Sony has ponyed up money to support development of those titles too.

Tlou is Made by Sony Studio, not by a third party studio. they have the full right to have it only on PS4. Same way like Forza and Turn10.

Sony did not payed Naughty Dog to "NOT make it for MS console", wheres MS is doing that.

And MS have the full rights to release Tomb Raider on XB1 because they paid for it. I'm failing to see a problem here?????

ems_medic wrote: »
    Not the average gamer just PS4 players. Is that not the point of exclusives in the first place to make you want to buy an XB1 etc.

If its not a game that warrants buying an XB1 then its not really any skin off PS4 players noses.

It does show clearly that MS arent done by any stretch in the consile dept desoite what alot of others here might think

you missing the point of what Exclusive game on a console is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd be far more concerned about Crystal Dynamics addressing the major problems and misguided direction of the first game than I would about what console it ends up on.

What were the major problems with it? The story was a bit goofy and she went from innocent lass to cold hearted killer in jig time but apart from that I didn't have many issues with it.

you missing the point of what Exclusive game on a console is.

Not really exclusive definition is "restricted to the person, group, or area concerned". This is exclusive to XB1 and not PS4 so I fully understand the point

well, first of all, those are timed exclusives and second of all, those are indy developers, which need a hand. So Sony has an Indy friendly mindset with PS4. No surprise they helping out and getting timed exclusives. Tomb Raider is from massive triple A Studio. MS just payed money to cock block PS4.

demotivational-posters-rabble1.jpg

• Advertisement

ems_medic wrote: »
    And MS have the full rights to repease Tomb Raider on XB1 because they paid for it. I'm failing to see a problem here?????

They didn't pay to fund the game's development - just to stop the development on PC and PS4.

Look at Bayonetta 2 on Wii U for the right way to do things. B2 would not have been made without Nintendo money coming in so exclusivity there is a valid end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just a question here for some of the defensive Xbox fans.
    Which would you prefer -
    1. Tomb Raider releasing on all platforms and MS spending the money developing their own game so you get two games.
    2. MS spending the money on stopping Tomb Raider from coming to PS4/PC.

Interesting that you mention defensive :cool:

Microsoft are doing both so its all cool on Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

This isn't exactly something new. We've already seen it with Titanfall.

The question for people should be if it's worth purchasing an Xbox One for.

Anyway on the conference the game that I enjoyed the most was Ori and the Blind Forest. I really love the look of that game.

The rest of the show (other than the announcement of TR exclusivity) was very much meh with only the indies looking pretty cool.

The biggest disappointment was with Quantum Break, this was propably due to the PR team saying the gameplay would leave us speechless which I honestly didn't think much of but man was it underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

MS must have paid a lot for SE to cut their potential sales of console copies of the new Tomb Raider by about 75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

With halo masterchief collection and then Guardians after I'm picking up an Xbox one this Autumn.

Tomb Raider is from massive triple A Studio. MS just payed money to cock block PS4.

Is that not what competition amongst consoles is for though ?? MS are essentially trying to make up ground and part of that is buying exclusives for their platform , same way Sony financially support independent studios.

TBH it just sounds a bit like your pee'd off that Tomb Raider is exclusive to XB1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Some levity to cheer me up.

tomb88zjh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It is typical MS paying for exclusivity well into production, but at least the Xbox One might just have a game I'm swayed by. If it turns out to be a timed exclusive, I'll hold onto the money.

tok9 wrote: »
    The question for people should be if it's worth purchasing an Xbox One for..

Personally for me... No
    The last game was good, not great, had a reek of a camel being a horse by committee off of it

• Advertisement

What were the major problems with it? The story was a bit goofy and she went from innocent lass to cold hearted killer in jig time but apart from that I didn't have many issues with it.

I dont even go in do discussion anymore as its pointless. If what, policies like that just pushing me away from Xbox one again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement