Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I liked the last tomb raider game but didn't love it. Though if the last game was a foundation for a new beginning and we get actual tomb raiding in the next game like the ones of old I'll be very happy, hard to say for sure but it does look like they are leaning that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dunworth1 wrote: »
    The general consensus ahem. the only people who seem to think that are Ps4 owners

xbox owners are delighted

I am PS4, PC, Wii U, 3DS, PS Vita owner and I see this as MS just being Lazy and assholes.

If I would be Xbox one, PC, Wii U, 3DS,PS Vita owner I would see this as MS being Lazy and assholes.

If I would be Xbox one, PS4, PC, Wii U, 3DS,PS Vita owner I would see this as MS being Lazy and assholes.

If I would be Xbox Fanboy I would be sucking on MS tits and I would Glorify every single stupid stunt MS pulls out.

If Sony would come over and say tomorrow that next Bioshock game is PS4 only as they bought out exclusives rights, I would see it as SONY BEING LAZY AND ASSHOLES.

I love games and gaming in general. I love Witcher Series when it was completely Master Race only game. When CD Project red came out and said, that they are bringing Witcher 2 to consoles too, I was DELIGHTED! Its amazing game and the more people will be able to play it - the better.
    Unfortunately some of the Xbox one folks here see this "MS Cock block" exclusive thing as positive which is just Jaw droping. You dont get the grasp of the big picture, where Sony and MS will divide Market in half. Instead of having one console, which plays 95% of games as they are multiplatform, they will be down to 50% as the other half will be on opposite console. You will be forced in to buying other hardware, where you could have just owned one. Yes, if you like gaming, you should get all of the consoles, but we are living in real world with rents, bills and other expenses, not all of us can afford every single gaming device, then let alone support it with games!
    All this **** in the end will only bite in the arse consumer and make MS /SONY lazy. Why they would need to work on something like Tlou or Forza, when they can just buy the next big franchise and cock block competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I am PS4, PC, Wii U, 3DS, PS Vita owner and I see this as MS just being Lazy and assholes.

If I would be Xbox one, PC, Wii U, 3DS,PS Vita owner I would see this as MS being Lazy and assholes.

If I would be Xbox one, PS4, PC, Wii U, 3DS,PS Vita owner I would see this as MS being Lazy and assholes.

If I would be Xbox Fanboy I would be sucking on MS tits and I would Glorify every single stupid stunt MS pulls out.

If Sony would come over and say tomorrow that next Bioshock game is PS4 only as they bought out exclusives rights, I would see it as SONY BEING LAZY AND ASSHOLES.

I love games and gaming in general. I love Witcher Series when it was completely Master Race only game. When CD Project red came out and said, that they are bringing Witcher 2 to consoles too, I was DELIGHTED! Its amazing game and the more people will be able to play it - the better.
    Unfortunately some of the Xbox one folks here see this "MS Cock block" exclusive thing as positive which is just Jaw droping. You dont get the grasp of the big picture, where Sony and MS will divide Market in half. Instead of having one console, which plays 95% of games as they are multiplatform, they will be down to 50% as the other half will be on opposite console. You will be forced in to buying other hardware, where you could have just owned one. Yes, if you like gaming, you should get all of the consoles, but we are living in real world with rents, bills and other expenses, not all of us can afford every single gaming device, then let alone support it with games!
    All this **** in the end will only bite in the arse consumer and make MS /SONY lazy. Why they would need to work on something like Tlou or Forza, when they can just buy the next big franchise and cock block competition.
    Have you played the first Tomb Raider game?

Have you played the first Tomb Raider game?

I dont give a **** about the Tomb Raider. I am more worried about the tactics being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I dont give a **** about the Tomb Raider. I am more worried about the tactics being played.

They did the same at E3 with the GTA IV content back in 06, timed Xbox exclusive, paid a lot for it also iirc, at that stage though the 360 was eating the PS3 alive, oh how the tides can turn....

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    They did the same at E3 with the GTA IV content back in 06, timed Xbox exclusive, paid a lot for it also iirc, at that stage though the 360 was eating the PS3 alive, oh how the tides can turn....

Timed exclusive and exclusive are different. Even then I hate time exclusive bull**** too. I would love gaming industry just feck off with such tactics. Atl east they are already understanding that preorder exclusive bull**** does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

This thread is hilarious, from start to finish it goes through release and update information for PS4 and XB1 with fanboys for each gloating when their console has good news and attacking the other when it has good news, meanwhile the neutrals stoke the fire.

My opinion (trying to stay neutral) is that these are 2 corporations with profit in mind. They both have good genuine people and gamers working for them and both created really nice platforms and hardware. Both have changed their ideologies massively since their last consoles and the playing field is as level as it ever was.

There is risk and reward for each company, MS have pumped money into media and games (Both buying exclusivity and funding companies), Sony has bought a cloud-based company to offer remote and stateless gaming, whilst also buying exclusivity and funding companies.

What's left after all that? The customer. MS and Sony are effectively betting(high stakes) on what customers want. MS have bet that customers want Tomb Raider and so have bought it for their customers and taken it away from Sony's customers. Sony have bet that the games they have put the money they could have bought Tomb Raider with win them customers.

How sticky the product becomes is also a major battle, Sony bet on pure gaming, MS on integration. Which of these bets will win and have customers using the product more?

So, the cold-hearted analysis of this is that both companies just want to make money and do whatever it takes to beat the other and take market share. The warm hearted part is left to take care of itself via the indie game developers and cottage game companies. If Sony put money into either, the goal is to get a high return. If MS dont put money in its because they dont think they will get a high return.

Best console battle in years and as history has thought us, the best console does not always win, it will be fascinating to follow and look back on at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

that's your opinion

i see you never mentioned you as not owning a ps4 above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Shadowhearth

5UMCyH.jpg

;-) Basher

Take deep breath now and calm down.
    So even though you haven't played the first game nor had the intention of playing it from what I gather from your reply and without a doubt aren't even goin to play the sequel if it was going to be released on PS4 your still pissed off that MS have done this?haha your a gas man altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The general consensus ahem. the only people who seem to think that are Ps4 owners

xbox owners are delighted
    ems_medic wrote: »
    Being honest, I'm not really seeing any general consensus on any website other than from PS4 users, though if you have links would be great

Reddit and various comment sections of articles regarding the fact.
    I will link in full when I get proper interwebs. On bus Donegal - Galway atm and the internet is gash. Has taken me about 25 mins to load this boards thread

As an aside. It seems Enix are either silly or just cut their losses. They released a load of statements after the first game saying they expected it to sell double what it did and they were disappointed etc. Maybe they genuinely feel that cant sell more than what they will to their MS share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

There is always going to be games that are exclusive to each platform.

Since Microsoft bought exclusivity for the next Tomb Raider game its fair to say it was up for sale. Sony could have ponied up and bought the exclusivity but more than likely they didn't have the necessary coin to do so.

Throughout this gen of consoles this will be a Sony and Microsoft strategy. Both companies will either secure exclusivity or buy games studios to secure the IP. Welcome to console gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Reddit and various comment sections of articles regarding the fact.
    I will link in full when I get proper interwebs. On bus Donegal - Galway atm and the internet is gash. Has taken me about 25 mins to load this boards thread

As an aside. It seems Enix are either silly or just cut their losses. They released a load of statements after the first game saying they expected it to sell double what it did and they were disappointed etc. Maybe they genuinely feel that cant sell more than what they will to their MS share.

comment sections probably sony fanboys to be honest
    unless you have an actual article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

There is always going to be games that are exclusive to each platform.

Since Microsoft bought exclusivity for the next Tomb Raider game its fair to say it was up for sale. Sony could have ponied up and bought the exclusivity but more than likely they didn't have the necessary coin to do so.

Throughout this gen of consoles this will be a Sony and Microsoft strategy. Both companies will either secure an exclusivity or buy games studios to secure the IP. Welcome to console gaming.

You're failing to see the point. They bought exclusivity of a game that was already being made for all platforms instead of investing that money into their first party studios, which are lacking for years because this is their chief strategy.

Sony create IPs, while MS seem to buy them. Even then, it more than likely always seems to end up on PS down the line anyway, which defeats the purpose.

MS have a budget for Xbox decision, they are not given all access to MS' reserves because that would seriously piss investors off considering the decision in taking losses for years.

So, that money that could've been spent blocking this could've been spent on a big new AAA IP, or many smaller creative projects.
    Sony never bought so much timed exclusivity as MS did and look at all the games we got for the PS3 because of that? Meanwhile the 360 really dried up because they didn't care to invest into games, they just wanted to be lazy about it.

That's the whole annoyance here, and honestly, it's very valid.

So everyone who disagrees with this practice is a fanboy?

What about people here with multiple consoles who don't agree with it? Fanboys, too?

• Lads in fairness its business at the end if the day. MS and Sony will do everything to win customers no matter how dirty you may think this move is. They don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.

MS purchased the rights to make the new TR exclusive so in turn it will make people purchase there console.
    Not sure what else to say. I owe both and I love both. Both consoles having its pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So everyone who disagrees with this practice is a fanboy?

What about people here with multiple consoles who don't agree with it? Fanboys, too?

People/Neutrals here with multiple consoles are just waiting for the handful of X-Box fanboys to go back to the dedicated X-Box forum.

That is, at least until Microsoft makes another Game Changing terrible, badly considered decision, and out of the woodwork they will emerge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

As an Xbox owner (and owner of a PS4 too) I am not that happy with chucking money at established franchises that were going to be multi platform. I would much rather they invested that money in more exclusives that they actually had a part in developing/funding some way like Quantum Break/Halo/Dead Rising/D4/Sunset Overdrive/Gears etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wonder what was MS' initial plan for game releases prior to the Xbox ones poor sales, which presumably forced this buy.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    You're failing to see the point. They bought exclusivity of a game that was already being made for all platforms instead of investing that money into their first party studios, which are lacking for years because this is their chief strategy.

Sony create IPs, while MS seem to buy them. Even then, it more than likely always seems to end up on PS down the line anyway, which defeats the purpose.

MS have a budget for Xbox decision, they are not given all access to MS' reserves because that would seriously piss investors off considering the decision in taking losses for years.

So, that money that could've been spent blocking this could've been spent on a big new AAA IP, or many smaller creative projects.
    Sony never bought so much timed exclusivity as MS did and look at all the games we got for the PS3 because of that? Meanwhile the 360 really dried up because they didn't care to invest into games, they just wanted to be lazy about it.

That's the whole annoyance here, and honestly, it's very valid.

But how is it an annoyance when the people doing the most bickering are people who are never going to buy the console in the first place? They have two big new IP's and a ball of indie games coming.That will tie a lot of xbox gamers over till the next new IP's .Who's to say that they won't have more in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plenty of Xbox Redditors aren't happy with the move either
    http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2dbw2u/rise_of_the_tomb_raider_exclusive_to_xbox/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Cormac... wrote: »
    People/Neutrals here with multiple consoles are just waiting for the handful of X-Box fanboys to go back to the dedicated X-Box forum.

That is, at least until Microsoft makes another Game Changing terrible, badly considered decision, and out of the woodwork they will emerge

Funny that you mention Xbox fanboys going back to the Xbox forum as this thread has pretty much become the anti-xbox thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Cormac... wrote: »

Didn't realise this was a PS4 only thread, guess the name of the thread should be changed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I wonder what was MS' initial plan for game releases prior to the Xbox ones poor sales, which presumably forced this buy.

2010-2013 on 360 is your answer very little

as an owner of all the systems i dont like this but i can see why they did it. Square will always follow the money imo

it also makes me wonder why hasnt anyone bought platinum they would probably cost less than TR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Anyone know what time the ps4 show is on it? Missed the x1 due to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the ps4 show is on it? Missed the x1 due to work :(

6pm. playstationer.net will be showing a stream as well as a few other sites.

But how is it an annoyance when the people doing the most bickering are people who are never going to buy the console in the first place? They have two big new IP's and a ball of indie games coming.That will tie a lot of xbox gamers over till the next new IP's .Who's to say that they won't have more in the future?

Do they actually own the IP, or do they have the rights to just 1 game? There's a massive difference, the former being that sequels could find themselves to PS anyway, which renders their strategy useless and a waste of money.

I would consider buying the X1 if they actually invested in first party studios, which they haven't been doing for years.
    Something that gets timed 3rd party exclusives is not something I want, or want to support.

And judging from the past, they really scaled back on new IPs and exclusives, so I'll believe the talk when I see it. And if they deliver, I'll be happy to buy one.

But that means actually spending money correctly like Sony and Nintendo do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's up on the PS blog too
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/gamescom/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sheehy83 wrote: »
    6pm. playstationer.net will be showing a stream as well as a few other sites.

Is it not streamed on the ps4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

tony1980 wrote: »
    Didn't realise this was a PS4 only thread, guess the name of the thread should be changed ;)

Oh there's PS4 Fanboys here too for sure, granted i'm more leaning now towards buying the PS4 over the X-box One, I'm just pointing out that this thread ends up being more fan boyish after announcements such as this. Tomorrow we'll be back to sales figures, stocks, revenue, FPS, Resolutions etc :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement