Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

EoinHef wrote: »
    Care to add a link to the story?

Looking forward to The Division,hopefully it can fulfill its potential.

Its actually old news. I didn't pick up on that.
    Video breaking down the Gamescom trailer and talking about the Microsoft deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluEdX8-sTs

Theres also a demo of it listed at Gamescom as "Tom Clancy’s The Division
    - First live gameplay on Xbox One"

Ubisoft confirm "The Division" content first on Xbox One
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/e3-2014-the-division-story

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Its actually old news. I didn't pick up on that.
    Video breaking down the Gamescom trailer and talking about the Microsoft deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluEdX8-sTs

Theres also a demo of it listed at Gamescom as "Tom Clancy’s The Division
    - First live gameplay on Xbox One"

Ubisoft confirm "The Division" content first on Xbox One
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/e3-2014-the-division-story

:cool:

Cool,couldnt find it with a quick google search.

Really hope they make a good job of it,wasnt into Watchdogs and im still on the fence about Destiny(mates have no interest,dont think id enjoy it solo either) so pinning my hopes on this.

Hopefully its delayed so they can do something special

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cool,couldnt find it with a quick google search.

Really hope they make a good job of it,wasnt into Watchdogs and im still on the fence about Destiny(mates have no interest,dont think id enjoy it solo either) so pinning my hopes on this.

Hopefully its delayed so they can do something special

Really looking forward to Destiny. Played the beta with a few of lads and the more we played the more we were hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Really looking forward to Destiny. Played the beta with a few of lads and the more we played the more we were hooked.

Think thats my problem,mates just wanna play BF4/Fifa and no time for anything else:(

Sad really,if one or two of them picked it up id be all over it. Just cant see myself enjoying it solo or with randomers

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ems_medic

I'd go as far as saying this pretty much confirms timed exclusivity.

"We're saying what we said on stage," said Spencer. "In Holiday 2015, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox. That's the comment."

Seems fairly solid to me that it is not a timed exclusive, going by the press release
    Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher

Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

So they only have this one game?

I thought from some of you they bought the IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I suppose I'm asking the wrong crowd since most appear to have 1 or both of the consoles but I'm curious anyway.

Has the announcement of TR being exclusive given anyone that extra push to get the Xbox One?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So they only have this one game?

I thought from some of you they bought the IP.

I don't think anyone here remotely stated that the IP was bought out by MS though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

ems_medic wrote: »
    Seems fairly solid to me that it is not a timed exclusive, going by the press release

Have you seen them mention the exclusivity of the game without saying "holiday 2015"? In January there'll be an exclusive PS4 edition for Spring 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Nobody stated that I don't think.

Didn't Sony do similar back in the day? Gaining exclusivity for TR on PS1 to stop it getting released on Saturn as well?

http://www.tombnews.com/news/1997/09/1801/

• Advertisement

Didn't Sony do similar back in the day? Gaining exclusivity for TR on PS1 to stop it getting released on Saturn as well?

I was thinking the same myself but wasn't sure / too lazy to check but if memory serves at least TR and TR2 were Sony exclusives

I don't think anyone here remotely stated that the IP was bought out by MS though

It's just that I asked one or twice and it was skimmed over. There was a talk of new IPs, and Failsafe mentioned MS getting this one.

Might've just been my interpretation of it.

I'm fairly sure this is timed, though. Didn't the next-gen port far outsell the X1 version? Doesn't seem like they'd go exclusive and miss out on so many sales. Couple that with the wording of their statements, and the slightly cagey air about it.

Sure we'll see in time, I guess. It's a long way away still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

well that changes a lot of comment here were saying ms using scumbag tactics

but sony have done the same in the past

dunworth1 wrote: »

I would be very suprised if anyone here would retract what they said on this thread honestly.

There is always a "convenient" forgetfulness when it comes to criticism of MS tactics

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

tok9 wrote: »
    I suppose I'm asking the wrong crowd since most appear to have 1 or both of the consoles but I'm curious anyway.

Has the announcement of TR being exclusive given anyone that extra push to get the Xbox One?

No, halo will push me though as I'm a fan but outside of that their upcoming catalogue doesn't make for happy gaming. I played the TR reboot 6 months after release, thought it was fun but with zero replayability, much too easy/unchallenging so the sequel was never going to be an instabuy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Considering it's a completely different team working at Sony now compared to almost 20 years ago I think it's fair to not hold it against them.
    I'm not saying it was a good thing back then though, just as bad as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I would be very suprised if anyone here would retract what they said on this thread honestly.

There is always a "convenient" forgetfulness when it comes to criticism of MS tactics

I disagree. I would say a lot of people who are giving out about Microsofts move would do the same for Sony or whoever else.

It isn't a competition between us. We are consumers buying these products.. we didn't make them so we shouldn't be defending companies when they do thing we don't like.

I would prefer if all companies used that money to develop their own games instead of buying exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I would have bought TR but won't buy a console to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

It's actually slightly done the opposite for me. Ended the conference on a real sour note for me, investing in a few new exclusive IPs are what would have got me interested in picking up one, not paying money for a game that was going to come out on the system anyway. Didn't give a good impression for their philosophy going forward. Don't want to encourage those kind of deals by picking up an Xbox now. So going to skip it until it has a few more exlclusives I'm interested in.

I disagree. I would say a lot of people who are given out about Microsofts move would do the same for Sony or whoever else.

It isn't a competition between us. We are consumers buying these products.. we didn't make them so we shouldn't be defending companies when they do thing we don't like.

I would prefer if all companies used that money to develop their own games instead of buying exclusivity.

I think sony spending money on deals for exclusive DLC is pointless. I'd rather that money be used for games. But then again, it's MS that pushes them to do it since they really shell out for timed exclusivity. I guess Sony just has to be more competitive in order to prevent them from taking over, because if they did nothing that way, there would be timed DLC for many more games.

Again, nobody wins in this instant. Just a load of money being pissed away that could fund small games, or a few large ones.

• Advertisement

Good to see that PS TV will be launched soon but not good to see that PS are charging EU users an extra €25 to purchase it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Good to see that PS TV will be launched soon but not good to see that PS are charging EU users an extra €25 to purchase it

European price includes tax. US price doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

dunworth1 wrote: »

There were rumours yesterday that Sony were going to confirm they had secured full console exclusivity of No Man's Sky. If that had happened, I, like many others, would have criticised them for doing so.

It's a tactic that is anti-consumer, no matter which company does it.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I think sony spending money on deals for exclusive DLC is pointless. I'd rather that money be used for games. But then again, it's MS that pushes them to do it since they really shell out for timed exclusivity. I guess Sony just has to be more competitive in order to prevent them from taking over, because if they did nothing that way, there would be timed DLC for many more games.

Again, nobody wins in this instant. Just a load of money being pissed away that could fund small games, or a few large ones.

But sure if you're drowning in profit why not do both.

It's a massive statement of how commited Microsoft is to the success of XB1.

I don't think Tomb Raider will be a console seller however it will be added onto a list for why someone should get an Xbox One in holiday 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Otacon wrote: »
    There were rumours yesterday that Sony were going to confirm they had secured full console exclusivity of No Man's Sky. If that had happened, I, like many others, would have criticised them for doing so.

It would certainly have been a negative move from Sony if it was outright exclusivity but the two scenarios aren't the same by a stretch imo. Hello games were funded by Sony way back when they lost their studio to flooding iirc. Sony good as funded the IP from the start.

It would be closer if it were Sony buying out the next RDR or Assassins Creed or such. I feel that's why MS (or anyone in this situation) would come in for serious flak. Because its only the 2nd game in the series they're buying exclusivity for and the game was going to be theirs anyways.

No Mans Sky probably wouldn't have happened if not for Sony's apparent intervention in Hello Games.

EDIT: Well they didn't fund the IP from the start literally. But they paid it through its development.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    It would certainly have been a negative move from Sony if it was outright exclusivity but the two scenarios aren't the same by a stretch imo. Hello games were funded by Sony way back when they lost their studio to flooding iirc. Sony good as funded the IP from the start.

It would be closer if it were Sony buying out the next RDR or Assassins Creed or such. I feel that's why MS (or anyone in this situation) would come in for serious flak. Because its only the 2nd game in the series they're buying exclusivity for and the game was going to be theirs anyways.

No Mans Sky probably wouldn't have happened if not for Sony's apparent intervention in Hello Games.

I would have 0 issue with No mans sky being a PS4 exclusive.

In fact I'd say fair play to them and I'd be impressed that they put some money down on the big boy table.

It would then go on peoples lists for why they should get a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I was planning to get the game on PC. That's how I've played any Tomb Raider game including the last one. I'd prefer my mouse and keyboard with the amount of aiming.

I'll probably have an Xbox One by then anyway, but I won't buy Tomb Raider for it.

They still released it on PC :)

But sure if you're drowning in profit why not do both.

It's a massive statement of how commited Microsoft is to the success of XB1.

I don't think Tomb Raider will be a console seller however it will be added onto a list for why someone should get an Xbox One in holiday 2015

You do realise that the Xbox division has an annual budget and that's it, right? The Xbox decision is taking big losses, they will not get all of MS money because investors will block such a move because they won't get a return on their investment.
    So it doesn't make a difference that MS is "drowning in profit", because that doesn't mean the Xbox decision is, and it certainly isn't.

A massive statement is them putting all their cash into first party studios and bringing them up to Sony and Nintendo standards. This is good in the long-run.
    Buying timed exclusives and one offs doesn't help build your exclusive pedigree one bit, and is a short sighted strategy. It's what happened to the 360.

What's more desirable; a company that produces many AAA exclusives, creative projects, or a company that blocks multiplat games to make them exclusive, coupled with timed exclusivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Otacon wrote: »

There was always rumours of it being a console exclusive (Still nothing about it being on X1) and funny enough many said it was another reason to buy a PS4. Not a hint of anything resembling anti-consumering from people then, just pure positivity. I'm not talking about you but if people are going to adopt certain stances they can at least be consistent.

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    There was always rumours of it being a console exclusive (Still nothing about it being on X1) and funny enough many said it was another reason to buy a PS4. Not a hint of anything resembling anti-consumering from people then, just pure positivity. I'm not talking about you but if people are going to adopt certain stances they can at least be consistent.

Hang on, after the flooding there was a huge thing made about MS stepping in to help out, with failsafe posting a load of links and spoke about how much money MS had, and how beneficial it all is.
    If anything I thought it was coming to X1 first.

When did it shift back to Sony helping them out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement