Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Grayditch wrote: »
    I think it's very early to say that Sony haven't done a good job at marketing the PS4. Very early indeed.

I'd be genuinely interested in hearing the argument from someone in marketing, without 'MS were worse'. To hear what they have actually done incorrectly, from a marketing stanpoint.

They didnt do anything incorrectly but at the same time its certainly not a memorable campaign it was quite absent until the XBone showed up. The xbox disaster blew up so much that it drove more preorders for the ps4 in the following week than sony did in the previous few months (3?) before

Sony improved in marketing only because they were cryptic as **** in previous generations. but other than that the only difference between the Wii U's marketing and Sony's is one had its competition dribbling in the corner rambling on about TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't have an opinion on the their markerting campaign as such, as I'm no expert, but yeah, marketing does interest me, and I guess I'll be into finding out how they did a really poor job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think everyone can agree that the PS3 was as nutty as a fruit cake, it was bizarre, lacked any relevance to the games, and pronouncements about the exclusivity of the machine, not for everyone, and it was expensive plus a lousy launch line up.
    But, despite this, it ended up selling tons with great exclusives.
    The launch window really is only relevant to early adopters, the bulk of peeps to buy new machines will do so in the coming years, probably peaking in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There is feck all between the two consoles, it's all largely academic, most consoles will be sold over the rest of the machines lifespan so why get hung up on the first 2 weeks or so.
    Or is it just folk who spent money on them trying to justify their purchase, they're hardly likely to say they just wasted their money.
    it's an interesting topic and as we know - doing well for a console means good for gamers. It is a discussion. That's why we are here.

By using your logic I might say that those who moan and bitch about next gen, make it look bad and crappy are the folks who can't afford New Console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't have an opinion on the their markerting campaign as such, as I'm no expert, but yeah, marketing does interest me, and I guess I'll be into finding out how they did a really poor job.

They did enough but Brilliant marketing is what apple do where they sell weaker tech for more money and probably have at least one ad campaign that is imprinted in the back of your mind regardless of whether or not you buy their stuff. Its not like they ever rely on samsungs **** ups to drive sales

Sony played it very safe (which is fine) but had MS come out with a more powerful console and none of the BS (excluding Kinect which looks like a great piece of tech now) Sony could have been in a bit of trouble. theyd always have the brand loyalty to fall back on.

Its too early to call as campaigns only kick into gear when there is stock available and we'll see both **** up a lot over the next 5 years.

Sony won the launch marketing and they did well but it wasnt genius or brilliant marketing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think everyone can agree that the PS3 was as nutty as a fruit cake, it was bizarre, lacked any relevance to the games, and pronouncements about the exclusivity of the machine, not for everyone, and it was expensive plus a lousy launch line up.
    But, despite this, it ended up selling tons with great exclusives.
    The launch window really is only relevant to early adopters, the bulk of peeps to buy new machines will do so in the coming years, probably peaking in 2016.

But the PS3 only started to really sell when they reduced the price and started releasing good quality exclusives like Uncharted and inFamous.

The PS4 is (relatively) affordable out the gate, with a decent selection of games at launch. Hence the 2.1 million sold figure, which is undeniably down to good PR and marketing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 r0ckst4r

Good old microsoft...

Now where did i put those hd-dvd's??? :)

Like always, good few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think its time we took away shadowhearths "PC Master Race" card ! :D:D

Magill wrote: »
    I think its time we took away shadowhearths "PC Master Race" card ! :D:D

Over my dead body! :D

Like I said even before I got my ps4 - 90% of my gaming will be done on pc. I did not lied! ;)

I love my pc, but I Do love my ps4 and I am very impressed what it offer for such a price tag.

I am trying to free up my old pc, so I can give it to my "peasant" friend as he can't afford anything right now. He is a young parent with a small child.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »
    The PS4 is (relatively) affordable out the gate, with a decent selection of games at launch. Hence the 2.1 million sold figure, which is undeniably down to good PR and marketing IMO.

There's another factor everyone is forgetting. Uniquely for this generation Sony had far more consoles available at launch than have been available at any other launch. That's definitely not a negative but if the PS2 had that many consoles available at launch it would have sold just as much. A near global launch and launching in far more territories also has to be factored.

I'm gonna guess that the marketing for the PS4 probably wasn't really poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Or is it just folk who spent money on them trying to justify their purchase, they're hardly likely to say they just wasted their money.

Cidey, your postings about the PS4/XBO make you sound like someone at the other end of the spectrum, someone who's trying to justify to themselves the decision not to buy one :p You know as well as anyone else that they're both just boxes that'll play 90% of the exact same content as each other & will look practically identical on screen. They'll also take a good while to get going, but they will get there, & get there they will.

For all your giving out, did you say very recently you were about to hit the button on a PS4 on Amazon until you realised they had no stock? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nazzu

The biggest difference between the consoles at the moment is the amount of games that have been announced, either Microsoft are being very secretive about what is coming out or they are struggling to get the studios on board, while Sony seem to be the darlings of the studios at the moment and are really pushing their first party studios.

There are currently 170 games announced for the PS4 (11 of which have been confirmed as free-to-play).
    Exclusive = 30 (2 of these are free-to-play)
    Console exclusive and/or timed = 67/+1 (8/+1 of these are free-to-play)
    Multiplatform = 72

VS

There are currently 77 games announced for the Xbox One.
    Exclusive = 15
    Console Exclusive/+Timed = 8/+3
    Multiplatform = 52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Nazzu wrote: »
    The biggest difference between the consoles at the moment is the amount of games that have been announced, either Microsoft are being very secretive about what is coming out or they are struggling to get the studios on board, while Sony seem to be the darlings of the studios at the moment and are really pushing their first party studios.

There are currently 170 games announced for the PS4 (11 of which have been confirmed as free-to-play).
    Multiplatform = 72

VS

Exclusive = 15
    Multiplatform = 52

Sure that's not much of a shock. Sony have been bringing out more games than Microsoft for years now. More studios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Strange marketing 101, would you rather leap or jump?

BaPjY0BCMAECEiS_zps3994c4a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nazzu wrote: »

Multiplatform = 72

VS

Exclusive = 15
    Multiplatform = 52
    Its all about quality. The numbers mentioned don't take into account if the games are any good. I'd rather have 1 great game than access to 20 mediocre games. Of course there will be some great games available on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Its all about quality. The numbers mentioned don't take into account if the games are any good. I'd rather have 1 great game than access to 20 mediocre games. Of course there will be some great games available on both consoles.

But the more games that are being made, the higher the probability of great games, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If Team Ico ever releases another game then I will buy the console the minute it comes out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

RasTa wrote: »
    Strange marketing 101, would you rather leap or jump?
    Yeah, I'd have thought a leap would be a bigger movement forward too...

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    But the more games that are being made, the higher the probability of great games, no?
    Hopefully, but no. The glass is half empty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

First ID@Xbox Independent
    Developers Announced

Teams include:

Behaviour (Naughty Bear)
    Bongfish (Stoked)
    Born Ready (Strike Suit Zero)
    Capy (Below)
    Comcept (Soul Sacrifice, Mighty No. 9)
    Crytek (Crysis, Ryse: Son of Rome)
    Definition 6 (Spy Party)
    Demiurge (Shoot Many Robots)
    Double Eleven (Frozen Synapse: Tactics)
    Double Fine (Costume Quest, Stacking, Broken Age)
    Drinkbox (Guacamelee!)
    Gaijin Games (Bit.Trip Runner)
    Half-Brick (Jetpack Joyride)
    Happion Labs (Energy Hook)
    Hidden Path (Defense Grid)
    High Voltage Software (Zoombies, The Conduit)
    Inis (Elite Beat Agents)
    Iron Galaxy (Divekick)
    Jackbox Games (You Don't Know Jack)
    The Men Who Wear Many Hats (Organ Trail)
    Nicalis (Cave Story, 1001 Spikes)
    Ninja Bee (Kingdom for Keflings)
    The Odd Gentlemen (The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom)
    Other Ocean (Monsters Love Candy)
    Panic Button (Alien Race)
    Signal Studios (Toy Soldiers)
    Slighty Mad Studios (Project CARS)
    Team 17 (Worms)
    Team Colorblind (Aztez)
    Vlambeer (Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers)
    WayForward (Shantae: Risky's Revenge, DuckTales Remastered)
    Zeboyd Games (Cthulhu Saves the World)
    Zen Studios (Pinball FX2, CastleStorm)

The games in brackets are just games these teams have made as examples.

People don't really factor stuff like Resogun and War Thunder into the launch line-ups. I didn't have much interest in them, until I actually played them, and they're now keeping the plastic on the Assassin's Creed box.

I haven't had a chance to try out the Xbox, but that will have it's own sleeper/underdog gems.

Good thing I was not drinking anything as I would need to buy a new monitor at the end of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Good thing I was not drinking anything as I would need to buy a new monitor at the end of the video.

I can agree with you there.

What an absolute gobshiet!

Zero Punctuation is gas. That's one of his better recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Lol, brilliant.

That's why I stick with Xbox Live, i consider it be more secure and stable than PSN.

That's why I stick with Xbox Live, i consider it be more secure and stable than PSN.

They will put any kind of overblown **** on gaming website these days to get fanboys reaching their weapons and generating few extra clicks.

From article itself:

Earlier this week, massive security breaches were detected at Facebook, Twitter, and Google. Of course, it's entirely possible Sony is just taking precautions, but it doesn't appear every PSN user has faced the same mandatory password resets.

As for what anyone prefers: I will take 5 tons of free games and discounts over just paying for being able to play online, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

As for what anyone prefers: I will take 5 tons of free games and discounts over just paying for being able to play online, thank you very much.
    I think the free games on PSN plus is awesome but for me I value online gaming stability and security more.

Also from the article above.
    Sony emailed a number of its PlayStation users last night, requiring a password reset. According to the email, "Sony Entertainment Network team routinely monitors for any irregular activity, and if such activity is detected, we may sometimes reset passwords of affected accounts to protect consumers and their account information."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement