Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Glad they're being careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    Glad they're being careful.

Exactly. There might be just feck all in it, but they are playing it safe and they monitor everything.

Same as it was with my CC few days ago. I bough humble bundle and less then a minute later my bank called and wanted make sure I did that transaction. The card was brand new as I had ordered new ones due to being safe.

Sony is doing its job, good boy points to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Marketing, the art of getting somebody to buy something they don't actually need.
    True that, but it's gone beyond that. I think we're at a point where the expectation of marketing - depending on the product - is sufficient.
    The fact that the PS3 and PC have some excellent games out and coming out in the near future, while the PS4 has relatively few at the moment is proof enough that Sony's marketing team did an excellent job at convincing the current userbase to migrate to the next generation, all the while taking a massive chunk out of the 360's userbase. Dunno what standards that could be considered bad marketing?
    It ain't the majority, but there is certainly an element in gaming... Gamers who really get in to the whole obsolescence aspect. They want the new gizmo and they want the old gone. I've been asked why I'd be interested in keeping my current gen consoles with a "but they're old!" tone to the questioning. Cuz old is bad, m'kay? apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Pushtrak wrote: »
    True that, but it's gone beyond that. I think we're at a point where the expectation of marketing - depending on the product - is sufficient.

It ain't the majority, but there is certainly an element in gaming... Gamers who really get in to the whole obsolescence aspect. They want the new gizmo and they want the old gone. I've been asked why I'd be interested in keeping my current gen consoles with a "but they're old!" tone to the questioning. Cuz old is bad, m'kay? apparently.

Very true, there is always that niggling inclination to buy the next Shiney! The job of marketing team is to get you to listen to that inclination and convince yourself that you need their new product, something that I think Sony has done quiet well in the launch of the PS4. It is the purpose of this whole "Next-Gen" line you always hear when new consoles are released.

Personally I have been ignoring that voice in my head that is telling me to buy the PS4, but alas I have been very tempted at times. It takes some quality games on my PC and Vita to hold me off getting one. I will eventually I am sure but for now I am quiet content holding off for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I never had any issues with PSN besides that few weeks it was down. PSN+ takes a huge dump on xbox live imo, even before they added the whole voice chat stuff.

Isn't there a lot of issues with that on xbox live actually ? The voice coms that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What are the dl speeds like from PSN?
    On the PS3 the updates were large and seemed to take an age, though with PSN+ it did a lot of the work while on stand by.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What are the dl speeds like from PSN?
    On the PS3 the updates were large and seemed to take an age, though with PSN+ it did a lot of the work while on stand by.

Lightning quick for me and I am only on a 24mb line at the moment, downloaded 2+ gigs in just under a half hour yesterday, massive improvement over the PS3.

Yeah, I'm glad the speeds have improved A LOT.

They just need to implement queued downloads. Not sure why they took that out, but to be honest, everything downloaded so quick on launch day, of all days, that it didn't stress me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The final figures might be all that matters in the long run but aren't indicative of a good marketing campaign. Something can succeed with poor or no marketing, look at minecraft or dark souls.

The wiiu has been a dreadful example of marketing, the name in particular really was poorly thought out, however it really has nothing to do with the quality of sonys marketing.

The final figure is all that matters, there's no grading on marketing or marketing effectiveness. All a company has to go on is how much marketing cost and how much it sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Xenji wrote: »
    Lightning quick for me and I am only on a 24mb line at the moment, downloaded 2+ gigs in just under a half hour yesterday, massive improvement over the PS3.

Thank fook, the PS3 is woeful slow most of the time. And then the installation can take as long as the download, Metal Gear Revengeance took about 20 mins to install, was longer than GTAV

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They just need to implement queued downloads. Not sure why they took that out, but to be honest, everything downloaded so quick on launch day, of all days, that it didn't stress me.

Queued downloads? I noticed since I got my PS4 that it downloads 3 or 4 things at the same time, it does not queue them anymore like the PS3.

It will queue them if you manually stop one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Top 20 from the PS4 store, delighted Flower is 1st.
    PS4

1. Flower
    2. Need for Speed Rivals
    3. Battlefield 4
    4. NBA 2K14
    5. Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
    6. Call of Duty: Ghosts
    7. Killzone Shadow Fall
    8. Madden NFL 25
    9. Trine 2: Complete Story
    10. EA SPORTS FIFA 14
    11. Sound Shapes PS4
    12. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
    13. Knack
    14. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    15. Super Motherload
    16. RESOGUN
    17. Just Dance 2014
    18. EA SPORTS NBA LIVE 14
    19. Contrast
    20. Angry Birds Star Wars

There are some ridiculously beautiful games out already for the PS4, can't wait until next year.

flowerscreenshot1.jpg

sddefault.jpg

028A016D6840602-c2-photo-oYToxOntzOjE6InciO2k6NjUwO30%3D-trine-2-complete-story.jpg

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Personally I have been ignoring that voice in my head that is telling me to buy the PS4, but alas I have been very tempted at times.
    I don't really have that voice in relation to the PS4 or One right now. It's a combination of I wouldn't have time to properly get stuck in to the games, and the games aren't exactly much to write home about. Sure, i wouldn't mind playing Assassin's Creed 4, but it isn't a system seller. The Wii U with Super Mario 3D World however, is better because it'll be a whole lot of fun and seems much better for short bursts of gameplay here and there.

Of the three free games on PS4 I've played, Resogun, War Thunder, and Blacklight, they're all fantastic games. I can't believe how much time I'm putting into them.

They don't look like much, but they are ridiculously playable and so much fun.

And free!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Wait till you get your hands on Planetside 2...

Yeah, I can't wait.

Blacklight gave me the same feeling as the first time I played Quake 3, just ultra playable. Put the retacle over their head and pull the trigger, and they fall, they way they're supposed to. No gadgets or airstrikes as far as I can see. No messing.

I find myself getting detached from Battlefield and Call Of Duty, cause there are too many complications for me. That said I was very into MAG and there were 256 players and so much to learn, so I hope I get the same feeling from Planetside.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah, I can't wait.

Blacklight gave me the same feeling as the first time I played Quake 3, just ultra playable. Put the retacle over their head and pull the trigger, and they fall, they way they're supposed to. No gadgets or airstrikes as far as I can see. No messing.

I find myself getting detached from Battlefield and Call Of Duty, cause there are too many complications for me. That said I was very into MAG and there were 256 players and so much to learn, so I hope I get the same feeling from Planetside.

I found Blacklight very unstable. The frame rate jumps were massive. It would even lock up good few times. I know its Beta, but I cant play it at the moment with those issues.

It's shakey, but it's brilliant. I'll be playing this a lot more than Killzone multiplayer, which is a but lackluster, disappointingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

PS4 all day...but neither for now as the launch titles are a bit rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There are plenty of launch titles to keep us going till next spring when a few more good ones come out. I have BF4, Fifa 14, Resogun, KZ: Shadow Fall and AC4. Loving them all so far. So glad next gen has finally arrived.

Also the poll says 3:1 in favour of the PS4. Early adopters be mindful most of your friends will likely buy a PS4 over the X1 in future leaving you to play without them if you chose Xbox. That will be a major factor in deciding what a lot of people buy if they can't afford both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    mindful most of your friends will likely buy a PS4 over the X1 in future leaving you to play without them if you chose Xbox. That will be a major factor in deciding what a lot of people buy if they can't afford both.

Lol, no. depends on your friends of course. Majority of my friends have already gotten Xbox One.

I'm sure people will know by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Trying to get a game in Battlefield 4 takes 30 minutes, then it crashes to the dashboard after about 4 matches, meaning another 30 minutes trying and failing to join a match... then in the matches it has latency that makes it close to unplayable, frame rate drops, textures not loading and weird sound glitches. It also refuses to save single player progress so erm... it is pretty pointless to even turn the game on.

Its fecking lame to be honest.

Is this happening on both new machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Danonino. wrote: »
    Trying to get a game in Battlefield 4 takes 30 minutes, then it crashes to the dashboard after about 4 matches, meaning another 30 minutes trying and failing to join a match... then in the matches it has latency that makes it close to unplayable, frame rate drops, textures not loading and weird sound glitches. It also refuses to save single player progress so erm... it is pretty pointless to even turn the game on.

Its fecking lame to be honest.

Is this happening on both new machines?

I'm experiencing no problems at all with battlefield on the PS4 in terms of crashing or anything. Once or twice there's been the odd latency issue, but bar that everything seems grand for me. Must be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ps4 is the More powerful machine and will show this when we start pushing further into next gen gaming. This is evident with Microsoft using the ps4 footage and trying to pass off as Xbox1.

Microsoft are pushing the x bone as the all round entertainment machine. Yet You don't need ps+ to use YouTube netflix or other entertainment apps. With Xbox one you need the Xbox live or you are pretty much playing single player games and that is it.

That said x,boned have some good exclusives. But same could be said for ps4. Frankly xbone fans are used to being squeezed for the extra money so I don't see any of them being phased in this next gen.

This is evident with Microsoft using the ps4 footage and trying to pass off as Xbox1.
    Do you have something to back up that assertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ps4 is the More powerful machine and will show this when we start pushing further into next gen gaming. This is evident with Microsoft using the ps4 footage and trying to pass off as Xbox1.

Microsoft are pushing the x bone as the all round entertainment machine. Yet You don't need ps+ to use YouTube netflix or other entertainment apps. With Xbox one you need the Xbox live or you are pretty much playing single player games and that is it.

That said x,boned have some good exclusives. But same could be said for ps4. Frankly xbone fans are used to being squeezed for the extra money so I don't see any of them being phased in this next gen.

I'm really not well-versed in this but wasn't it pretty much the same with ps3 and 360? ps3 had theoretically (maybe practically as well) the better hardware but it's only as good as the devs that know how to use it.

Did ps3 graphics outshine xbox 360 towards the end of the generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Do you have something to back up that assertion?

It was up on gaming sites and youtube. It had official MS tag banner imbedded in the video showing AC4 gameplay and saying it was Xbox One gameplay yet you could clearly see the PS controller buttons prompts on screen.

They were caught a few times doing that and then they said it didn't matter as the consoles are closely matched, yeah.

Kinda. Depends on the developer though. The Uncharted series and The Last Of Us looked better than anything I saw on Xbox. Xbox could do incredible graphics too, with Forza and Gears, though.

I don't think it was the graphics that were winning people over, but the games on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I'm really not well-versed in this but wasn't it pretty much the same with ps3 and 360? ps3 had theoretically (maybe practically as well) the better hardware but it's only as good as the devs that know how to use it.

Exactly, the ps3 was more powerful yet most multi platform games always lookee better on the xbox, it's marketing jargon which the fan boys masterbate off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement