Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'm really not well-versed in this but wasn't it pretty much the same with ps3 and 360? ps3 had theoretically (maybe practically as well) the better hardware but it's only as good as the devs that know how to use it.

Did ps3 graphics outshine xbox 360 towards the end of the generation?

PS3 had better hardware, but hard to code to then 360. Now PS4 has Better hardware and easier to code then Xbox one.
    This time around Sony got "good boy points" by actually talking to developers and asking their opinion.

*insert usual steriotipical response where games matter, not platform,so no not to look like a fanboy"

By the way, if someone is looking for XBOX ONE, then my local Gamestop has few in stock. A good few people never picked up their preorders. No PS4 though. Call them first to make sure. Its Mallow branch, North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm really not well-versed in this but wasn't it pretty much the same with ps3 and 360? ps3 had theoretically (maybe practically as well) the better hardware but it's only as good as the devs that know how to use it.

What happened there was that Sony and the media hyped up the Cell CPU in the PS3, yes it was very very powerful but it's not as important as the GPU for gaming and the GPU in the 360 was more powerful than the PS3's GPU.

The power of the Cell was great for Folding at Home app, the 360 CPU would take an age to do what the Cell could do in a few hours on that.

The 360 had better looking and performing cross platform games across the board for the most part. Only some PS3 exclusives beating them.

This time the PS4 and X1 have the same X86 structure for programming but now the PS4 has the better GPU with higher memory bandwidth and faster memory. MS knew this and paniced, giving the X1 2 clock speed boosts very close to launch as they could see the gap between the X1 and PS4 would be too great without those speed boosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I don't think the PS3/360 is a very good analogy and I think overall the difference between PS3 and 360 is overstated IMO. The RAM on the PS3 was a bottleneck. It's why you'd see in face offs, the 360 won a lot of them. Especially in the area of frame rate.

The system specs this time around look to better than the One in a the specs are just better rather than a they have sophisticated tech (which might actually be more a negative than a bonus) as was the case with the ps3.

In terms of multiplat titles, the games will be made in such a way that it'll work on the weaker system. It'll be with the exclusives that we'll see the real mettle of the systems to be honest.

I'll only be looking at face offs to decide which system to buy multiplats on.
    It was up on gaming sites and youtube. It had official MS tag banner imbedded in the video showing AC4 gameplay and saying it was Xbox One gameplay yet you could clearly see the PS controller buttons prompts on screen.
    That's both dishonest and dumb.

Exactly, the ps3 was more powerful yet most multi platform games always lookee better on the xbox, it's marketing jargon which the fan boys masterbate off.

I already answered this in post before this one. PS3 WAS and IS more powerful, but its architecture is more complicated and multiplatform devs did not wanted invest more time in to it. If you compare Xbox 360 exclusive and PS3, you can clearly see, which console could push out more raw power.

So yeah, its not market jargon as you say, its a fact, but that fact comes with downside, which as you said, multiplatform games came looking better on 360 as developers having hard time to code for unique ps3 architecture.
    This time around, Sony has both things bagged in. Performance and ease of coding for platform. We already see that multiplatform stuff looks and runs a lot better on PS4. Later down the line, the gap will be bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Exactly, the ps3 was more powerful yet most multi platform games always lookee better on the xbox, it's marketing jargon which the fan boys masterbate off.

The PS3 was far more more complicated to make games for so it was never going to be worth the effort.

The PS4 and Xbox are pretty much the same console, just the PS4 is more heavily modified. So it's going to be very easy to make the most of the PS4.

That's already seen in how many games are 1080p on the PS4 vs 720p on the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I already answered this in post before this one. PS3 WAS and IS more powerful, but its architecture is more complicated and multiplatform devs did not wanted invest more time in to it. If you compare Xbox 360 exclusive and PS3, you can clearly see, which console could push out more raw power.

I'm sorry but it's just not that simple I'm afraid. Both machines excelled in different areas.

The 360's advantages were the eDRAM on the GPU and a unified memory structure. It was much tougher to control memory usage on the PS3 meaning you got a lot of redunant RAM that could have been used by the GPU or as main memory which lead to framerate drops.

The eDRAM was the biggie though. It meant the 360 had a much better fill rate when it came to transparencies. In third party game you'd get an awful lot of transparent effects dialled down or cut completely or you'd have transparancies halving the resolution of what was behind them.

The PS3 on the other hand had the cell. The extra CPU power wasn't all that important but a good programming team could use the SPU's to back up the GPU for some great results. Unfortunately it was mostly only Sony's first party developers that could afford to put that time in.

The PS3 CPU wasn't far off the 360 GPU but it did have a much better shader system. If you look closely at something like the uncharted games you'll notice they don't have as much transparent effects in them as say Halo 4 and the textures are pretty lousy quality. However they can afford to use lousy texture quality when they cleverly use shaders to add the detail to the textures and cover it up. The textures look far more detailed and high res than they actually are. The 360 had an advantage here as well with the use of unified shaders.

It's strange that Sony produced such a terrible machine in terms of fill-rate considering the PS2's big advantage was using 4 megabytes of eDRAM just like the 360. In fact at the 640x480 resolution that the PS2 operated at it had a much bigger fill rate than the 360.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it's just not that simple I'm afraid. Both machines excelled in different areas.

The 360's advantages were the eDRAM on the GPU and a unified memory structure. It was much tougher to control memory usage on the PS3 meaning you got a lot of redunant RAM that could have been used by the GPU or as main memory which lead to framerate drops.

The eDRAM was the biggie though. It meant the 360 had a much better fill rate when it came to transparencies. In third party game you'd get an awful lot of transparent effects dialled down or cut completely or you'd have transparancies halving the resolution of what was behind them.

The PS3 on the other hand had the cell. The extra CPU power wasn't all that important but a good programming team could use the SPU's to back up the GPU for some great results. Unfortunately it was mostly only Sony's first party developers that could afford to put that time in.

The PS3 CPU wasn't far off the 360 GPU but it did have a much better shader system. If you look closely at something like the uncharted games you'll notice they don't have as much transparent effects in them as say Halo 4 and the textures are pretty lousy quality. However they can afford to use lousy texture quality when they cleverly use shaders to add the detail to the textures and cover it up. The textures look far more detailed and high res than they actually are. The 360 had an advantage here as well with the use of unified shaders.

It's strange that Sony produced such a terrible machine in terms of fill-rate considering the PS2's big advantage was using 4 megabytes of eDRAM just like the 360. In fact at the 640x480 resolution that the PS2 operated at it had a much bigger fill rate than the 360.

Cheers for clearing this up more. Talented people from Sony managed to pull off some fantastic stuff from ps3 compared to 360.
    This time around PS4 has more advantage hardware wise and ease of working with a platform. Multiplatform games look and play better already at launch.

What could go wrong? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Bottom line, who ever makes the best games wins.. It's that simple. So far Xbox is winning ;)

What do you expect all this extra power to do? It's not going to write an engaging script for a game, it's not going to secure massive exclusives such as Titanfall, etc

It will produce slightly better graphics, that's it.

Bottom line, who ever makes the best games wins.. It's that simple. So far Xbox is winning ;)

What do you expect all this extra power to do? It's not going to write an engaging script for a game, it's not going to secure massive exclusives such as Titanfall, etc

Then judging by the games sony has been making the last few years, sony will win.

Extra power fill make sales of multi platform games. If you interested in BF4, ASS or Cod for example, you will buy a PS4 version. Some youtubers already said that when they have both consoles, they just play on PS4 as it is better version.

Sooner or later there will be both consoles in most gamers houses. Like any gamer they will choose to which platform multiplatform title they will buy for. Buying a supperior version for same price is a no brainer. Heres where extra power matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So Ps3 easily won the last gen then and the Ps4 will win this one, cool :D

And the fact the Ps4 is selling far more than the xbox do you think many developers will want exclusives for the xbox one, no I don't think so either :D

Ps. Titanfall isn't a Xbox exclusive, I'll be able to play it @1080p and 60fps on my pc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

And the fact the Ps4 is selling far more than the xbox do you think many developers will want exclusives for the xbox one, no I don't think so either :D

Ehhhh, no. It's not. They're both selling very well and are pretty close in sales even though PS4 is available in 32 countries and Xbox One in 13. The sales are very marginal so don't know where you got this "far more" from

aaronh007 wrote: »
    That's not exclusive to the xbox.

I think because this is a PS4 or Xbox One thread, he meant CONSOLE exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

DaLad wrote: »
    I think because this is a PS4 or Xbox One thread, he meant CONSOLE exclusive.

No need to get pedantic about it. It's simply not exclusive to the xbox. Besides, you guys get to be the Beta testers for the sequel which will more than likely be multi-platform.

In fairness lads ye sound like the local gym A-hole walking around the gym telling everyone how powerful he is lol

I have played COD Ghosts and BF4 on both consoles and have to say I didn't see the difference. Of course the PS4 has better resolution but that's difficult to notice when playing.

Both consoles have already sold over 2 million units so they a massive success.

The ole Titanfall lines 'i'll just play on my PC' and 'its not an Xbox exclusive' ... Yes we know this but the point is PS4 haven't got it. So while you typing and moving your mouse furiously or building your PC I'll be sitting back with my feet up using my joypad... Enjoy,
    (voice command)Xbox, gloat!

Games, games, games lads. Who secures the best exclusives wins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

In fairness lads ye sound like the local gym A-hole walking around the gym telling everyone how powerful he is lol

I have played COD Ghosts and BF4 on both consoles and have to say I didn't see the difference. Of course the PS4 has better resolution but that's difficult to notice when playing.

Both consoles have already sold over 2 million units so they a massive success.

The ole Titanfall lines 'i'll just play on my PC' and 'its not an Xbox exclusive' ... Yes we know this but the point is PS4 haven't got it. So while you typing and moving your mouse furiously or building your PC I'll be sitting back with my feet up using my joypad... Enjoy,

Games, games, games lads. Who secures the best exclusives wins ;)

i think its fairly safe to say that the ps4 will have better first party exclusives, at least if last gen is anything to go by!
    ms have taken one of their few big ips and have started to destroy it (forza), mores the pity really as i loved previous forzas.
    i had both a 360 and a ps3 last gen but tbh il be sticking with my pc and getting a ps4 in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Ehhhh, no. It's not. They're both selling very well and are pretty close in sales even though PS4 is available in 32 countries and Xbox One in 13. The sales are very marginal so don't know where you got this "far more" from

Ps4 sold over 1 million consoles in 24 hours in the U.S and the Xbox one took nine days to sell 909,000 consoles. That's not pretty close.

Plus that is in a traditional xbox orientated region, xbox sold 63% more consoles than ps3 in the U.S last gen.

And in the U.K during the launch weekend the Ps4 sold 250,000 units whereas the Xbox one only sold 150,000 units.

You backed the losing horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So while you typing and moving your mouse furiously or building your PC I'll be sitting back with my feet up using my joypad... Enjoy,

Hmmm.

Ps4 sold over 1 million consoles in 24 hours in the U.S and the Xbox one took nine days to sell 909,000 consoles. That's not pretty close.

Plus that is in a traditional xbox orientated region, xbox sold 63% more consoles than ps3 in the U.S last gen.

No, not in U.S. In North America.

The sales as of about a week ago put Xbox One sales at 2 million in 13 countries.
    The sales of the PS4 at about 2.1 million in 32 countries.

I'm happy they're both selling very well but you're wrong about the selling a lot more part.

Yeah, to me, neither of them look like losing horses, hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

No, not in U.S. In North America.

The sales as of about a week ago put Xbox One sales at 2 million in 13 countries.
    The sales of the PS4 at about 2.1 million in 32 countries.

I'm happy they're both selling very well but you're wrong about the selling a lot more part.

Yeah, to me, neither of them look like losing horses, hmmmm.

In fairness... its unlikely that they had more than 150k stock in canada (Considering its population is like half that of the UK's)... so really your probably looking at 800k+ in the US alone.

Total sales really isn't as important as how fast the consoles are selling imo, since the PS4 is pretty much out of stock EVERYWHERE and no doubt would have sold a hell of alot more than the xbox if it could meet demand. The xbox is doing quite well too sure.. but i can still go down and buy and xbox now if i wanted.. suggesting they just aren't as sought after right now.

The whole fanboy arguing over sales thing is kind of silly tho, since hardware sales mean very little in terms of software (As long as they don't bomb ofc).

• Advertisement

I actually dont get it, where Xbox people are going with "power does not matter exclusive games do". Or is it the last defence line when you cant even say that both systems are on the same power level?
    If we go by last gen, then PS3 beated 360 to a corner with so many great exclusives. If what I would expect Sony people to use that Card. Why Xbox fanbase using this "better exclusives" as advantage as it was never Xbox strong side.

People are putting way too much faith in to Titanfall. As we know, putting all your eggs in to one basket always ends up bad. Its not even that exclusive as it will be on PC too. Looks amazing in trailers? Well, if you have a brain in your head and not just a string to keep your ears together, then you will know by now that all trailers ( even gameplay ones ), are full of ****. Like any game Titanfall will be dialed down by a **** ton in final product to be bale to run on actual consoles and PCs. This applies not just to Titanfall, it applies to every game in industry. Great example would be Forza 5.

I actually dont get it, where Xbox people are going with "power does not matter exclusive games do". Or is it the last defence line when you cant even say that both systems are on the same power level?
    If we go by last gen, then PS3 beated 360 to a corner with so many great exclusives. If what I would expect Sony people to use that Card. Why Xbox fanbase using this "better exclusives" as advantage as it was never Xbox strong side.

People are putting way too much faith in to Titanfall. As we know, putting all your eggs in to one basket always ends up bad. Its not even that exclusive as it will be on PC too. Looks amazing in trailers? Well, if you have a brain in your head and not just a string to keep your ears together, then you will know by now that all trailers ( even gameplay ones ), are full of ****. Like any game Titanfall will be dialed down by a **** ton in final product to be bale to run on actual consoles and PCs. This applies not just to Titanfall, it applies to every game in industry. Great example would be Forza 5.
    Its great that you work at Respawn studios so you can let us know that Titanfall won't be good and that it will be watered down ;)

Is there something wrong with Forza 5? It's a fantastic game and looks stunning.

My point is that who ever secures the best exclusives wins. That could be either PS4 or Xbox One... We will have to see. I think everyone has to acknowledge that securing Titanfall as a console exclusive is quite a big deal in the next gen console arena, to say otherwise is just fanboy crap.

This game blew people away at E3 and is thee most anticipated title of 2014 IMO and a hell of a lot of others.

Its great that you work at Respawn studios so you can let us know that Titanfall won't be good and that it will be watered down ;)

Is there something wrong with Forza 5? It's a fantastic game and looks stunning.

My point is that who ever secures the best exclusives wins. That could be either PS4 or Xbox One... We will have to see. I think everyone has to acknowledge that securing Titanfall as a console exclusive is quite a big deal in the next gen console arena, to say otherwise is just fanboy crap.

This game blew people away at E3 and is thee most anticipated title of 2014 IMO and a hell of a lot of others.
    Isn't it only the first that's exclusive? It was supposed to be timed exclusive on Xbox with it coming out on PS4 until MS offered enough for it.

Tbh, this strategy isn't the best. They were far more concerned with timed exclusives with the 360 than investing in studios and new games. In the long run the latter pays off far more.
    That's what turned the PS3 around towards the end and that's why the xbox had halo, gears and forza annually, or biannually.
    They didn't seem to care since the bare minimum of that plus timed exclusives seemed to earn them enough sales. And tbh, if that's all you have to do and still sell consoles why would you bother doing more? But for games they get stale pretty fast with that strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

One game does not make a console, people usually get a console for diversity and not to play or harp on about the same one game all the time otherwise they never get the full experience of what a console offers. Titanfall may end up being a great game, but not everyone likes FPS games and not everyone will get it or have an interest in it, it will sell well, but I do not see it bringing in many new buyers compared to any other big FPS release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh, just cop on guys, seriously. Several posts on the last few pages have been an embarrassment to read. If you can't discuss this topic as sensible adults, we'll just lock it.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Isn't it only the first that's exclusive? It was supposed to be timed exclusive on Xbox with it coming out on PS4 until MS offered enough for it.

Tbh, this strategy isn't the best. They were far more concerned with timed exclusives with the 360 than investing in studios and new games. In the long run the latter pays off far more.
    That's what turned the PS3 around towards the end and that's why the xbox had halo, gears and forza annually, or biannually.
    They didn't seem to care since the bare minimum of that plus timed exclusives seemed to earn them enough sales. And tbh, if that's all you have to do and still sell consoles why would you bother doing more? But for games they get stale pretty fast with that strategy.

I have to say that is a great point.

MS currently strongest so called exclusive is not a Child of their own Development studio, but a Game which is a hostage in a Deal between MS and EA. MS payed to keep that game off PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

For me console choice has never been about exclusives or "must have" games but games that I personally like or are interested in. The ps3 for me only had a handful of games that I was interested in, the xbox had more so I got an xbox.

Neither side has jumped out at me yet, the fact I cannot afford either until some time next year gives me plenty of time to view the upcoming games and then make my decision.

At the end of the day I am a gamer, I am going to go where the games I like are. No fanboy crap or talks about frame rates, power or RAM are going to sway me. The games will however.
    The only game currently interesting me is WatchDogs which will be out on everything so it doesn't really help.

Firmly on the fence until I see more games from both camps.

Sorry if my post is a bit here and there but that is how undecided I am.
    Keeping an open mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

By this time next year I'll have both, and I'll have them for the exclusives they both carry.
    The Xbox One controller appeals to me though, but the PS4 is a beautiful looking machine.
    A new Uncharted will probably sell the console to me, but a Halo 5 as good as Halo 4 turned out to be will make the One a must have as well.
    One of the massive areas introduced to the last gen was the online delivered material and both the PS3 and 360 delivered must haves in spades, can't wait to see whats coming for the PS4 and One.
    The 3DS is the machine that is selling me games I have to own right now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I would say so far both are losing in terms of game quality. Even Forza was a stripped down version of its 360 predecessor and Killzone by all accounts has brought nothing new to the FPS genre. I am happy to wait a while before dipping my toe and certainly before calling a "winner".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement