Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    By this time next year I'll have both, and I'll have them for the exclusives they both carry.
    The Xbox One controller appeals to me though, but the PS4 is a beautiful looking machine.
    A new Uncharted will probably sell the console to me, but a Halo 5 as good as Halo 4 turned out to be will make the One a must have as well.
    One of the massive areas introduced to the last gen was the online delivered material and both the PS3 and 360 delivered must haves in spades, can't wait to see whats coming for the PS4 and One.
    The 3DS is the machine that is selling me games I have to own right now though.

They will have a hard time making Halo 5 better than Halo 4 after Corrinne Yu who was principal engine programmer jumped ship from 343 Industries to Naughty Dog a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK, so have had to do a massive clean-up of this thread, hopefully from now on the discussion can continue without any more of that nonsense.

Any more accusations of 'fanboyism' or any of its derivatives will be deleted and infracted. If you can't express your opinion of a particular device without insulting or abusing anyone who happens to disagree, simply don't post. If someone is clearly trolling, please report them rather than engaging them, because you'll just end up stooping to their level too and drag the thread down too. And seriously, enough of that 'PC master race' rubbish, that joke wore out its welcome years ago.

Apologies for anyone who was discussing the subject sensibly, had to lock the thread until I got to a computer to edit it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm gonna go with both eventually. But the one I buy first will be whichever one has the best feeling controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I went with the one that had games I wanted more.

There was no point in me getting an Xbox before Xmas as well as the PS4, I haven't enough time for both right now. The choice I'll make by May when Titanfall is out, is whether to get the Xbox at all, or just put that money into a PC and play Titanfall on that.

So MS have until then to convince me. I don't like that I have to pay more for that Kinect that I don't want. With a PC I get to buy a whopper graphics card instead, but if by May some great exclusives have been released or announced, I'll probably go the second console road.

The Xbox is going to have to come up with more than Titanfall for me, and also, Titanfall itself will have to actually be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I'll be getting the xbox one myself, just as soon as the price decreases.
    I actually like the kinect, it's a great piece of kit, and will be some craic over Xmas with a few pints :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I actually like the kinect

Kinect was something I really didn't give a crap about and did feel a bit iffy about it being an extra non-optional expense.

The bundled game then took a chunk out of the expense, and I have been pleasantly surprised since in how much I like having the Kinect. Just even between voice commands and Xbox Fitness, I've found myself getting quite a lot of use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Grayditch wrote: »
    The choice I'll make by May when Titanfall is out, is whether to get the Xbox at all, or just put that money into a PC and play Titanfall on that.
    If I may be so bold, I'd suggest you revise your window. I think the window you are looking at is basically going to discount the possibility of getting the One that a wider window would permit. How much wider? Well, a month. You should see what is said at E3.
    The Xbox is going to have to come up with more than Titanfall for me, and also, Titanfall itself will have to actually be great.
    I don't give a toss about Titanfall, personally. The only game that I'm seeing that I want to see more on is D4. Exclusive games on either system that have my attention but need to see more to make their case: Quantum Break and The Order. Both could end up being crap, so I guess I'm looking at them in the way you are with Titanfall.

In that case, then the XBox might be something picked up down the line, maybe next Xmas. I need to know what games from studios I'm familiar with are going to be coming out exclusively on the Xbox, like Sunset Overdrive, is one. Maybe if the new Halo game looks beast. Interested in D4 after loving DP so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I went with the one that had games I wanted more.

There was no point in me getting an Xbox before Xmas as well as the PS4, I haven't enough time for both right now. The choice I'll make by May when Titanfall is out, is whether to get the Xbox at all, or just put that money into a PC and play Titanfall on that.

So MS have until then to convince me. I don't like that I have to pay more for that Kinect that I don't want. With a PC I get to buy a whopper graphics card instead, but if by May some great exclusives have been released or announced, I'll probably go the second console road.

If you have a PS4 already, i dont think you could ever justify getting an xbox over a PC (If you don't already have one that is). Basing it off of exclusives alone there are just far more to choose from with a PS4/PC combo than a PS4/Xbox combo imo.

You wont even need a super powerful PC to play titanfall at high settings either, since its using the source engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't have TV so the xbox extra features are pretty useless. Although little brother is getting one for Christmas and am looking forward to playing Forza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I think that Boogie guy from YT summed it up....ir depends what you want from the console, for gaming = PS4. For multimedia and entertainment/social stuff = X1.

There is *NO* question now the PS4 is technically superior....but MS are masters at software, the OS will be vastly different in two years from where it is now.

I also think we'll see a smaller xbobx one in a couple of years,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

jenjenten wrote: »
    I think that Boogie guy from YT summed it up....ir depends what you want from the console, for gaming = PS4. For multimedia and entertainment/social stuff = X1.

There is *NO* question now the PS4 is technically superior....but MS are masters at software, the OS will be vastly different in two years from where it is now.

I also think we'll see a smaller xbobx one in a couple of years,

I beg to differ, the Xbox One looks just as good visually as the PS4 and has some top of the range exciting exclusives coming out!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DaLad wrote: »
    I beg to differ, the Xbox One looks just as good visually as the PS4 and has some top of the range exciting exclusives coming out!

I beg to differ, PS4 looks better visually* in multiplatform games and has some top of the range exciting exclusives** coming out.

*We already know that 1080p > 720p looks better, no way of spinning it.

**Considering that Sony exclusive are better in general and has a lot more of them too, I can already say PS4 was a strong platform to stand on. Wheres the only HOT exclusive which is coming on Xbox one is not a child of any of the MS studios, but in fact a hostage by MS. MS payed EA to keep it off PS4.

I hope I was civil enough! ;)

I beg to differ, PS4 looks better visually* in multiplatform games and has some top of the range exciting exclusives** coming out.

*We already know that 1080p > 720p looks better, no way of spinning it.

**Considering that Sony exclusive are better in general and has a lot more of them too, I can already say PS4 was a strong platform to stand on. Wheres the only HOT exclusive which is coming on Xbox one is not a child of any of the MS studios, but in fact a hostage by MS. MS payed EA to keep it off PS4.

I hope I was civil enough! ;)

Have you PERSONALLY played both games side by side on both systems on similar TV's??

The only game that is 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One is CoD: Ghosts which looks like f*cking sh*te anyway! :eek:

Call it whatever you want, it's still an exclusive! There's also the current exclusives, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza all of which are VERRY fun and 2 of which look amazing!

I'm also looking forward to Quantum Break, D4, Sunset Overdrive, Max The Curse of Brotherhood and yes, even the new Halo game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

naughty dog

0318_hwu31.gif

jenjenten wrote: »
    naughty dog

I can post gif's too :P

ipoR9L9mrsWLC.gif?resize=600%2C375

Ryse though :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's actually very hard to say which one has an advantage in terms of power, even now. The fact of the matter is that you can't judge based on third party games. Those were crapped out as fast as possible with probably access to final dev kits a few days before release. Sony also had their final dev kits out much longer than XBox One dev kits. Even with first party games it's hard to judge which has the advantage since none of them will be taking full advantage of the consoles.

There's really not a big difference in terms on CPU power. It's when it gets to memory and the GPU that it gets complicated. On paper the PS4 looks like it has an advantage with 8GB GDDR5 and the extra compute units on the GPU. The XBox One however has a much more complicated set up with 32 MB of eSRAM. Although GDDR5 has a bigger memory bandwidth than DDR3 the eSRAM has a memory bandwidth that far eclipses GDDR5. It's a more complicated set up so you can bet no third parties have really taken advantage of the eSRAM yet especially third parties. Remember the eSRAM acts just like the eDRAM that gave the 360 an advantage in certain areas against the PS3.

Ryse though :/

What about it? I don't think you've played it but I might be wrong.

I played it and a friend of mine played it and both loved it, good storyline, EXCELLENT graphics, cinematic sound, very fun to play. Co-op/Multiplayer is also very fun.

Have you PERSONALLY played both games side by side on both systems on similar TV's??

The only game that is 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One is CoD: Ghosts which looks like f*cking sh*te anyway! :eek:

Call it whatever you want, it's still an exclusive! There's also the current exclusives, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza all of which are VERRY fun and 2 of which look amazing!

I'm also looking forward to Quantum Break, D4, Sunset Overdrive, Max The Curse of Brotherhood and yes, even the new Halo game.

I played bigger half of my life with PC. I can say right away difference in resolutions. 1080p always looks better. It is already a FACT, that PS4 games look better then same games on Xbox one. If you cant see difference, then it is your own perspective and Eyesight, but it does not look similar and visually same. And once more IT IS A FACT.

I wont bother listing all the amazing studios that are working for Sony exclusives. We all know, there was already a huge chart on how many exclusive comes to each platform. Sony has a bigger number of them and bigger number is a bigger chance to appeal to more people. Though it always comes down to personal taste. Someone who jizz in their pants every time halo name comes up will not look in to other exclusives on other platform as he knows where Halo is.

As for "call it whatever you want", it is what it is. Its not the MS talent, but a talent of third party studio. If MS will keep on just taking hostages third party games, then I can already say, that exclusive are ****.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's actually very hard to say which one has an advantage in terms of power, even now. The fact of the matter is that you can't judge based on third party games. Those were crapped out as fast as possible with probably access to final dev kits a few days before release. Sony also had their final dev kits out much longer than XBox One dev kits. Even with first party games it's hard to judge which has the advantage since none of them will be taking full advantage of the consoles.

There's really not a big difference in terms on CPU power. It's when it gets to memory and the GPU that it gets complicated. On paper the PS4 looks like it has an advantage with 8GB GDDR5 and the extra compute units on the GPU. The XBox One however has a much more complicated set up with 32 MB of eSRAM. Although GDDR5 has a bigger memory bandwidth than DDR3 the eSRAM has a memory bandwidth that far eclipses GDDR5. It's a more complicated set up so you can bet no third parties have really taken advantage of the eSRAM yet especially third parties. Remember the eSRAM acts just like the eDRAM that gave the 360 an advantage in certain areas against the PS3.

If what Third party games are the ones to show the difference in power. There was already a report on Cod Ghost, that it took 3 weeks to make it work on PS4 and 3 months to work on XBOX one and in final product we see that PS4 is superior version.
    You cant compare how much power by exclusive platform titles as those will be 2 different titles and the difference will be stupidly different and will be more down to how much effort and optimisation devs put in.

I played bigger half of my life with PC. I can say right away difference in resolutions. 1080p always looks better. It is already a FACT, that PS4 games look better then same games on Xbox one. If you cant see difference, then it is your own perspective and Eyesight, but it does not look similar and visually same. And once more IT IS A FACT.

I wont bother listing all the amazing studios that are working for Sony exclusives. We all know, there was already a huge chart on how many exclusive comes to each platform. Sony has a bigger number of them and bigger number is a bigger chance to appeal to more people. Though it always comes down to personal taste. Someone who jizz in their pants every time halo name comes up will not look in to other exclusives on other platform as he knows where Halo is.

As for "call it whatever you want", it is what it is. Its not the MS talent, but a talent of third party studio. If MS will keep on just taking hostages third party games, then I can already say, that exclusive are ****.

Yeah I also have a gaming PC...
    Fact seems more like your personal opinion.
    That chart with the longer list of games for PS4, yeah, you buy a next gen console to play indies. Sure if that's what you're into. That same list also confirmed there was a bigger list of exclusive AAA games for Xbox One.

I wouldn't be one of them Halo people you refer to, last one I played was Halo 3, but there's no denying that the next Halo will more than likely be amazing looking on the new console and is also an obvious exclusive which is why I listed it.

Yeah I also have a gaming PC...
    Fact seems more like your personal opinion.
    That chart with the longer list of games for PS4, yeah, you buy a next gen console to play indies. Sure if that's what you're into. That same list also confirmed there was a bigger list of exclusive AAA games for Xbox One.

I wouldn't be one of them Halo people you refer to, last one I played was Halo 3, but there's no denying that the next Halo will more than likely be amazing looking on the new console and is also an obvious exclusive which is why I listed it.

Okay, I just give up. If 720p < 1080p is not a fact, I just give up. I think you are a bit deluded and just want to make Xbox one too look better then it is actually is, when there are hard facts and actual product out ( PS4 visual/techinal superiority over Xbox one, not the actual "fun of games" )

As for indies. If I will find myself playing mostly Indie games and having more fun then AAA titles then PS4 money is well spent. In recent memory Indie games gave me more entertainment then most over budgeted AAA games. Just because it is an AAA does not mean it is not A pile of Shiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I will go PS4 myself. I have seen nothing that tells me Kinect is worth the extra 100euro. I have no interest in motion gaming or twitch streaming so the argument that the PSeye costs 60euro and is far inferior is moot since I have no interest in getting it either. I am sure both systems will have great console exclusives (titanfall and inFamous both look like they will be great games) and looking at the IGN COD Ghosts comparisons I couldn't see any difference between the Xbox one version and the PS4 version. That said the fact that MS continue to hide paid for services such as Netflix behind a paywall is wrong. Overall I know Sony don't care about me as a gamer and only care about the bottom line, but microsoft seem to go out of their way to alienate me a lot more.

Okay, I just give up. If 720p < 1080p is not a fact, I just give up. I think you are a bit deluded and just want to make Xbox one too look better then it is actually is, when there are hard facts and actual product out ( PS4 visual/techinal superiority over Xbox one, not the actual "fun of games" )

As for indies. If I will find myself playing mostly Indie games and having more fun then AAA titles then PS4 money is well spent. In recent memory Indie games gave me more entertainment then most over budgeted AAA games. Just because it is an AAA does not mean it is not A pile of Shiet.

720p < 1080p. Come on man, you seem to be the one deluded, I already mentioned above that only game that this applies to is CoD: Ghosts which yes, looks like sh*te on either console and PC anyway.

What do you want the so called superior technology for if you're just going to be playing indies? ;)

I think we've both made each other very clear by now where we both stand lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone who thinks all that's coming to the PS4 is indie games is an idiot. Although this whole conversation is pretty stupid.

RasTa wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks all that's coming to the PS4 is indie games is an idiot. Although this whole conversation is pretty stupid.

I never suggested ALL that was coming to PS4 was indies. I just stated that a lot of the games that were on that comparison list were indies. I'm also far from an idiot, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The thread is gonna get closed again....

The XB1 does not have a bigger list of games, they have a pitiful amount at the moment announced compared to the PS4, and no not all PS4 games are indie games, not even a quarter of them, Microsoft is either being very coy about what games they have in the works or are struggling to get the studios on board. I would love to see it have more games for competition's sake, but if you are a gamer who likes diversity and just wants a console that is purely for games, it is a easy choice which to choose.

Lets just wait for the usual Titanfall argument to come into the fray, as everything seems to get derailed when it is mentioned.

Uncharted 4, Yakuza Ishin, SOMA, Project Phoenix, Natural Doctrine, H-Hour: World's Elite, Guilty Gear Xrd, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Dynasty Warriors 8, Diablo III, Daylight, Shadow of the Beast, The Order: 1886, Lily Bergamo, Infamous: Second Son, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Driveclub.

All good non indie games that will either be a exclusive or console exclusive that have been announced so far, that is good diversity and it is what I as a gamer want, if you only get a console for AAA titles you are missing out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Its a simple fact that PS4 is more powerful, graphically anyway. 1080 is bigger than 720 or 900. You can't debate maths.

However, its all very well having better graphics, but if most of the games someone wants to play is on XBOX then obviously that is the better console for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, this thread has gotten really boring really quick.
    Both side have no idea what the true capacity of their consoles are yet are only too delighted to bang on about then as if they were exhibiting anything other than the earliest of software that is never anything but a pale reflection of what's to come.

Nothing else to see here, move along

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement