Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

All this talk about which is the more powerful console and the one game I'd love to play this Xmas is Mario 3D on WiiU.

Do it man. You wont regret it.
    I bought a Wii U there recently and am a very happy gamer right now.

The console was cheap compared to the ps4 or xbox one.

The gamepad is great for off telly play with the missus watching whatever it is she watches.

The games line up right now for me anyway is faaaar better.

And to top it all, I like I'm sure a lot of new gen buyers can still play slightly inferior versions of lots of the new gen games like battlefield 4 etc.... on my 360 if I really want to so I think its very hard to justify the spend required for the new set up.

Dont get me wrong PS4 for me in about a year or so but for now Wii U is a nice alternative and a very underrated bit of kit.

Mario in HD looks very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Finally a few decent posts in this thread, fact is the 360 was a great device and the xbox one is a lot more powerful. Given time it will also turn into a great device. Comparing it to the ps4 in terms of power is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I think this is where you guys are looking for ;)

Wii U General Discussion thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I am still trying to find a ps4 myself, but since I'm patient I don't mind waiting until the new year! I did speak to two game shops selling them and both shops reckoned the ps4 was outselling the xbox one 3 or 4 to 1. Is that a country wide trend?

If true, it's a very poor start for Microsoft! In the end I'll end up with both systems, because I don't like missing out on top titles. Saying that, I am biased against Nintendo, I just hate their hardware so much. Two consoles and a pc is enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ireland was only second to Japan for playstation's sold per person so there's a lot of playstation bias in the country so I'd expect those kind of sales figures here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

4ThePaddies.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I am still trying to find a ps4 myself, but since I'm patient I don't mind waiting until the new year! I did speak to two game shops selling them and both shops reckoned the ps4 was outselling the xbox one 3 or 4 to 1. Is that a country wide trend?

If true, it's a very poor start for Microsoft! In the end I'll end up with both systems, because I don't like missing out on top titles. Saying that, I am biased against Nintendo, I just hate their hardware so much. Two consoles and a pc is enough.

Out of curiosity why do you hate the nintendo hardware so much? :confused:

If the poll on this thread is to be believed it would back up what the shops have told you ie a good few more sales for PS4 but that said the numbers that have been released are more equal it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually LOVE the new modern Gaming world.

When people discuss Xbox one and PS4 in XBOX ONE VS PS4 thread, they are being called off fanboys, talking about boring stuff and being lame, not cool and all.
    Someone throws in off topic Wii U post and it gets a "decent" status, hand shakes, 3 kisses on cheeks etc. ( nothing to do with the actual quality of Wii U and/or title ).
    God for bid someone throws in PC argument, they are Crossed right away on nearest tree. Told to feck off and go play with their 10000eu pieces of junk... ( yeah, that figure grows every year, last year it was just 5000eu, bargain! :pac: )

I think that the whole "fanboy" thing is actually more damaging in other ways, then a Direct meaning of fanboy. Looks like people are afraid to show their liking to one or another thing, just because they will be marked as "fanboys" and not look cool and awesome, because the new Politicly Correct bull**** "Its not about on what you play, its about games dude" is the new cool thing. Starting to get totally disgusting. That Kills discussion.
    Someone comes in saying that he likes Wii U, he gets marked Nintendo fanboy. Someone comes in Liking Xbox, he gets marked an Xbox fanboy... and so on. Okay...
    If what, I think that there is a new Type of gamer "Smug Fanboy of neutrality with a polarity".

I bet I am already got my Sony fanboy status here, though I am playing 90% on PC, 8% on PS4 and 2% on PS Vita at the moment. I do own ( owned ) all the last gen consoles and a had a huge blast with games like Forza 2,3,4. MH3, fire Emblem during the years even if I am not playing on those platforms right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That poll would probably be more indicative of what sales will look like when both become more freely available. Well, I can't imagine a 3 to 1, but the PS4 will probably sell more, which is probably actually good news for people who have an Xbox, as MS will be on the backfoot and could start securing some sweeter exclusives and throwing out some nice digital deals.

I actually LOVE the new modern Gaming world.

When people discuss Xbox one and PS4 in XBOX ONE VS PS4 thread, they are being called off fanboys, talking about boring stuff and being lame, not cool and all.
    Someone throws in off topic Wii U post and it gets a "decent" status, hand shakes, 3 kisses on cheeks etc. ( nothing to do with the actual quality of Wii U and/or title ).
    God for bid someone throws in PC argument, they are Crossed right away on nearest tree. Told to feck off and go play with their 10000eu pieces of junk... ( yeah, that figure grows every year, last year it was just 5000eu, bargain! :pac: )

I think that the whole "fanboy" thing is actually more damaging in other ways, then a Direct meaning of fanboy. Looks like people are afraid to show their liking to one or another thing, just because they will be marked as "fanboys" and not look cool and awesome, because the new Politicly Correct bull**** "Its not about on what you play, its about games dude" is the new cool thing. Starting to get totally disgusting. That Kills discussion.
    Someone comes in saying that he likes Wii U, he gets marked Nintendo fanboy. Someone comes in Liking Xbox, he gets marked an Xbox fanboy... and so on. Okay...
    If what, I think that there is a new Type of gamer "Smug Fanboy of neutrality with a polarity".

I bet I am already got my Sony fanboy status here, though I am playing 90% on PC, 8% on PS4 and 2% on PS Vita at the moment. I do own ( owned ) all the last gen consoles and a had a huge blast with games like Forza 2,3,4. MH3, fire Emblem during the years even if I am not playing on those platforms right now.

Interesting post.

The gas thing is I'd say a lot of us on here will end up with nearly ever machine released.

I think its more about the here and now. Why are you buying a certain bit of hardware at this point.

For example I could have stretched to affording the PS4 this year but I just didnt see the point when I could get the Wii U now for much cheaper with way better line up of games now and PS4 later when theres more on it and its cheaper.

As I say most of us end up buying most of this hardware at some point its just the when and why I suppose that brings up interesting debate.

For me fanboyism is something I associate with teenagers.

Remember the Mega Drive v Snes cough "debates". Now they were epic. :D

• Advertisement

Interesting post.

The gas thing is I'd say a lot of us on here will end up with nearly ever machine released.

I think its more about the here and now. Why are you buying a certain bit of hardware at this point.

For example I could have stretched to affording the PS4 this year but I just didnt see the point when I could get the Wii U now for much cheaper with way better line up of games now and PS4 later when theres more on it and its cheaper.

As I say most of us end up buying most of this hardware at some point its just the when and why I suppose that brings up interesting debate.

For me fanboyism is something I associate with teenagers.

Remember the Mega Drive v Snes cough "debates". Now they were epic. :D

Well, things is that stuff like "power and grunt" topic is being flagged like a fanboism, which I say complete bull****. As you said, most of us will end up with all systems sooner or later. I will be getting Wii U and Xbox one down the line 100% its just the matter of time and how much I will want one. When I will have all consoles, I will look for the most superior version of a title. If Xbox One version will be better, I get that one, if PS4 version is better I will get PS4 version so. Power matters and its easy to mark it as a fanboism, without actually putting some fecking thought in it.
    We already sow that xbox 360 version of some games were superior to PS3. Some in better resolution, some in better frame rates or stability etc. I have all my friends on PC and I play consoles when I want to get away from everyone, so I dont buy games based on "where are all my friends", I buy on "where I will get the best experience for same amount of money".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ireland was only second to Japan for playstation's sold per person so there's a lot of playstation bias in the country so I'd expect those kind of sales figures here.

It certainly seems that we are biased this generation, but I didn't think we were for the lastggeneration generation. Thought it about 50/50?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Fanboy means different things to different people. To some, it is a thing if someone says something negative about another console they're a fanboy. To me, that isn't it. To me, a fanboy is someone who doesn't know and doesn't want to know about the competition. It gets to a sort of tribalism where "it's what I've always bought so I'll never buy anything else" and there is nothing to be gained from discussing anything gaming with such people. It's basically something is good because it happens to be where they've stuck their hat. I don't care.
    That's an unusual interpretation, I must say. The post was saying that despite all this talk about the more powerful system, the game the person wants is the new Mario game. It is very much about the quality of the Wii U, specifically about one title that is now available. It pretty much seems the best game that has been released for Christmas.
    See, I can appreciate your point, but can also see why it doesn't fly. Lets compare the Wii U post to the typical PC advocacy post.
    "All this talk about which is the more powerful console and the one game I'd love to play this Xmas is Mario 3D on WiiU."

VS

PC master race, console peasants, etc.

There is a marked difference in tone between the two posts. You might say one is somewhat adversarial in tone. When someone comes in with an attitude like that in any walk of life, it's going to generate spite. Sorry, but that's how people work. People don't like grandiose attitudes, and some will develop spite for such attitudes/people who express them.
    I see plenty of people saying exactly how they feel about stuff. For my part, I'll say nice things or negative things about any console or any aspect of gaming that I feel needs to be said. You've never seemed one to hold back on your opinion on stuff here, so it seems odd that you'd think there is some politically correct stuff going on here. Don't see it myself.

Maybe over on the Xbox section where there were steps to stop an Xbox VS PS debate which was getting nowhere.
    You post about the amount of systems you own. There is obviously something that appeals to you about them to get you to want to do this. At great cost. If I'm willing to spend a great deal of money on a thing, it helps put things in perspective.

There's a thing in psychology about people who what they buy becomes the right thing. So, if you buy one thing, the other things become the wrong thing to buy, and you look for things to justify that opinion. I'd say that's pretty close to the mark, because I look at what each system can do and that people really are missing out on lots of great titles. Is that politically correct? I think its just a gamer thinking we should just want to play. Don't think there's some higher analysis necessary on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pushtrak wrote: »

That's an unusual interpretation, I must say. The post was saying that despite all this talk about the more powerful system, the game the person wants is the new Mario game. It is very much about the quality of the Wii U, specifically about one title that is now available. It pretty much seems the best game that has been released for Christmas.

Exactly. Real gamers don't care about how powerful their console is, they care about the quality of the games. Journey was one of the best games on PS3 but you could easily play it on Vita. How many PC gamers are playing Papers Please on a €2000 machine? A game that could have been released 30 years ago on a Commodore 64. The indie gaming scene has exploded in the last 5 years on both console and PC. Real gamers want innovation and enjoyment from games. Isn't that what playing video games comes down to?

PS - I'll get a WiiU when the new Zelda is released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, I thought the mod had banned the oppositional fanboy stuff.
    No better way to get a thread locked tbh.

And, any talk of which next-gen console to buy should include the WiiU as well, and certainly just because it isn't in the OP doesn't mean relevant consoles shouldn't be discussed in the context of the OP.

Some posters here seem to take an awful lot of things very very personal.

I got trashed here for suggesting a console agnostic pov and advocating that the games should, ideally, direct console purchases.
    I was accused of having the opinion because I couldn't afford the PS4 at one point, and foolishly fed into the nonsense by defending myself, when I should have just ignored the loser.
    I don't know why people get their knickers in a knot over this.
    I am certainly not suggesting either the PS4 or Xbox One, or the Wii U for that matter, is a poor machine, but there seems to be a number of regulars here who are quite content to fill their time posting that type of thing, basing it on manufacturer stats and first run games, rather than learning the lessons of history and understanding the best is yet to come on all the current new formats.

And, what exactly is a "Smug Fanboy of neutrality with a polarity"?
    I mean, where does the smug come in?
    Because someone is console neutral but has a long standing affinity for one particular manufacturer?
    It's the exact opposite of a fanboy, the statement manages to be both self-contradictory and insulting, the latter I'd say was the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gunner90

PS4 all day long for me, would be doing very well to get one now at this stage though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wow, I thought the mod had banned the oppositional fanboy stuff.
    No better way to get a thread locked tbh.

And, any talk of which next-gen console to buy should include the WiiU as well, and certainly just because it isn't in the OP doesn't mean relevant consoles shouldn't be discussed in the context of the OP.

Some posters here seem to take an awful lot of things very very personal.

I got trashed here for suggesting a console agnostic pov and advocating that the games should, ideally, direct console purchases.
    I was accused of having the opinion because I couldn't afford the PS4 at one point, and foolishly fed into the nonsense by defending myself, when I should have just ignored the loser.
    I don't know why people get their knickers in a knot over this.
    I am certainly not suggesting either the PS4 or Xbox One, or the Wii U for that matter, is a poor machine, but there seems to be a number of regulars here who are quite content to fill their time posting that type of thing, basing it on manufacturer stats and first run games, rather than learning the lessons of history and understanding the best is yet to come on all the current new formats.

And, what exactly is a "Smug Fanboy of neutrality with a polarity"?
    I mean, where does the smug come in?
    Because someone is console neutral but has a long standing affinity for one particular manufacturer?
    It's the exact opposite of a fanboy, the statement manages to be both self-contradictory and insulting, the latter I'd say was the idea.

Don't feel too bad, I pride myself on staying out of these type of flame wars, and still managed to get sucked into one on the Xbox forum.

Thankfully though, once you recognise it for what it is, it's very easy to look at what people are posting, laugh internally and then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Here's a game we can all look forward to:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

DaLad wrote: »
    Here's a game we can all look forward to:

one of the games im looking forward to the most next year :) didnt like dead island though so I am worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That game looks meh, although Last of Us has spoiled me. Horrible voice acting anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. If "Deadlight" highlighted anything for me, it's that a good game can be completely ruined by poor voice acting. It's so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It does kinda look meh but I think Oculus Rift support would probably save it. Forest still looking to beat it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

this poll should be got rid its like south park latest episode xbox ps4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

this poll should be got rid its like south park latest episode xbox ps4

Yeah...because the debate has been won.....the PS4 is technically superior, its not open to debate or discussion, specs do not lie.

jenjenten wrote: »
    Yeah...because the debate has been won.....the PS4 is technically superior, its not open to debate or discussion, specs do not lie.

The original xbox was far superior to the ps2 in pure specs. You think that mattered? The ps2 outsold it by a gargantuan margin. It wasn't even a little close. Specs are only a part of it.

The thread doesn't say "Which console has the best specs! Vote here!" It asks for peoples preference. And a debate on personal preference is never won or lost.

I will just stay the **** out of it this time and continue playing around with my Lego. No show for you this time guys! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

jenjenten wrote: »

Slightly more powerful does not mean better though, the ps3 was supposed to be more powerful than the 360.
    The user interface was better on the 360 and the xbox live was much better than psn. All the power in the world couldn't change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Kirby wrote: »
    The original xbox was far superior to the ps2 in pure specs. You think that mattered? The ps2 outsold it by a gargantuan margin. It wasn't even a little close. Specs are only a part of it.

The thread doesn't say "Which console has the best specs! Vote here!" It asks for peoples preference. And a debate on personal preference is never won or lost.

The GameCube was also quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 I think. The PS2 sold over 3 times as many as the Xbox and GameCube combined.

The Xbones interface is fairly terrible though. It looks okay but it's so slow and sluggish. It takes like 20 seconds to invite somebody to a party. And when you do, you have to manually turn on voice chat yourself every single time. Awful

They have said they are aware of the problem and so on but.....rushed or not, it shouldn't have been released like that in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Kirby wrote: »
    The Xbones interface is fairly terrible though. It looks okay but it's so slow and sluggish. It takes like 20 seconds to invite somebody to a party. And when you do, you have to manually turn on voice chat yourself every single time. Awful

They have said they are aware of the problem and so on but.....rushed or not, it shouldn't have been released like that in the first place.

That sounds pretty irritating. You'd have to think it's something that can be sorted with an update though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement