Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They said they will but not to expect it soon basically. Expect it next September would be my guess. Bit shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Slightly more powerful does not mean better though, the ps3 was supposed to be more powerful than the 360.
    The user interface was better on the 360 and the xbox live was much better than psn. All the power in the world couldn't change that.

Comparing XBlive to PSN is a little bit unfair. One was a premium service requiring a yearly subscription fee, the other was a free service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

danthefan wrote: »
    The GameCube was also quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 I think. The PS2 sold over 3 times as many as the Xbox and GameCube combined.

The ps2 provided me with the most entertainment of all the consoles I own.
    The great 1st party stuff, the mountain of 3rd party games with some seriously great stuff in there.
    The Xbox had PGR, Amped and Strangers Wrath though.
    The GC had the underrated but brilliant Luigi's Mansion as well as Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil, so it was the go to system for spooky old buildings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Slightly more powerful does not mean better though, the ps3 was supposed to be more powerful than the 360.
    The user interface was better on the 360 and the xbox live was much better than psn. All the power in the world couldn't change that.

But it still produced some of the best games of that gen, and that's going to carry over to the PS4. It'll have the power and the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not getting into the whole which is better than which, but the PSN instant game collection hands down puts the PSN ahead, the sheer amount of AAA games you got free with it and games for the Vita puts it miles ahead of Xbox Live, I have saved well over €800 on games for a €50 layout.

That being said I have barely played my PS4 in about 3 weeks since launch, would of been the same if I got the XB1, the games are just not there at the moment, for a RPG player though the PS4 was always gonna be the go to console like every Sony console has been, but look past my tastes and they have a more diverse lineup as well and twice as many games announced, with far more console exclusives as well. I hate FPS games and FIFA, they do not make a console, but Microsoft are either being very coy with their announcements of games or are having issues getting the developers on board, **** snap and voice commands, I get a console to play games, that is what a console should be.

My PS3 will see far more playtime than the PS4 next year, March will give me Dark Souls 2, The Witch and the Hundred Knight and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles alone, along with about another 10 PS3 games I am interested in. You cannot compare consoles at the moment graphic wise, we will not see true next gen games for another year or two, as regards games you can, Microsoft need to pull the finger out, competition is a great thing, but they cannot be hoping that Titanfall will be their saviour, they need more first party studios making games, not just throwing money at developers to guarantee exclusives.

The whole parity agreement indie developers are forced to comply to when using ID@Xbox is bull**** as well, and will lead to more developers just going with the PS4 or Windows, this occurs by making developers release their games across all platforms at the same time or not being able to release them at all on the XB1, most small developers cannot do this due to lack of resources.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-19-vlambeer-id-xbox-parity-clause-problematic-for-the-indie-scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Looking back, its a pretty close call between the 360 and PS3 for RPGs.

The Witcher 2
    Tales of Vesperia
    Lost Odyssey
    Blue Dragon (though I couldn't get in to it, lots of people do love it)
    Infinite Undiscovery (I actually found it a lot more fun than reviews let on when it came out though it dated badly already.)
    I feel like I'm scraping the barrel here, but Fable Anniversary, Fable 2 and Fable 3 for some reason have big followings. Well, less so with 3.

An RPG fan would find plenty to like on either system to be honest. Now, that is last gen. Looking forward, I don't have optimism for the One in terms of RPG exclusives. We already know things to expect from the PS4 in terms of RPGs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Neither were great for JRPGs and both shared the same Western RPGs. Blue Dragon wasn't great and neither was Lost Odyssey although it took a while to get going. On the PS3 unless you really like the niche titles from NISA there wasn't a whole lot on it on the JRPG front. Ni No Kuni looks great but it's a horrible game to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, at least you had Xenoblade, Pandora and Tower on the Wii, plus DQ9 on the DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The ps2 provided me with the most entertainment of all the consoles I own.
    The great 1st party stuff, the mountain of 3rd party games with some seriously great stuff in there.
    The Xbox had PGR, Amped and Strangers Wrath though.
    The GC had the underrated but brilliant Luigi's Mansion as well as Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil, so it was the go to system for spooky old buildings!

And Metroid and The Wind Waker and Super Smash Brothers amongst others, was a hugely underrated console imo. But yeah the PS2 was a juggernaut.

They are all so affordable now its a pleasure to collect all the good stuff on the GC, Xbox and PS2.
    The first two are easy, you could be a lifetime collecting the best of the PS2 and play them all.
    I know, I've about 250 games for mine and its all killer, no filler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

its too early to be certain but i probably will get a ps4 in about a years time.still have plenty to play yet on my 360.one of the main reasons i would get the ps4 is its exclusive games,ive never played hard rain,the uncharted series or the last of us,i feel like im missing out big time.the one thing i would be disappointed is that i would be starting from scratch with trophys/achievements,i know thats a bit shallow of me but i like the fact i have a record of all my games and to start all over again would be slightly disappointing.i know its silly but is there a more satisfying sound than when an achievement pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Has there been any sales figures released in terms of Ps4 sold compared to the Xbox one?

joe123 wrote: »
    Has there been any sales figures released in terms of Ps4 sold compared to the Xbox one?

No proper figures, Sony have not updated their sales figures since the 3rd of December, NPD revealed that the PS4 was the top selling console in the US for November, we will no more in January.

Xenji wrote: »
    No proper figures, Sony have not updated their sales figures since the 3rd of December, NPD revealed that the PS4 was the top selling console in the US for November, we will no more in January.

Though someone pointed out that Xbox was launched a week later so its had a week shorter. I think Microsoft said they were the fasted console for the month of November which is also taking advantage of statistics as Sonys sales for the first part of Novermber will undoubtedly be higher than the latter part.

sarumite wrote: »
    Though someone pointed out that Xbox was launched a week later so its had a week shorter. I think Microsoft said they were the fasted console for the month of November which is also taking advantage of statistics as Sonys sales for the first part of Novermber will undoubtedly be higher than the latter part.

They said that the day before the NPD figures came out as they knew it would look bad for them, it was just PR spin which makes no sense and was a bit embarrassing.
    Microsoft further clarified that 909,132 Xbox One units were sold in the US in the console's first nine days, and the 101,000 consoles sold per day "significantly" outpaces the nearest competitor.

How can it be the fastest selling console if Sony sold more consoles in one day than it took Microsoft to sell in nine days in the US, they may have sold more per day, but as you said had less time, it does not mean they sold more, the figures are probably close, neither has really pulled ahead a significant amount that we know yet.

Anyway we will know more next month.

How can it be the fastest selling console if Sony sold more consoles in one day than it took Microsoft to sell in nine days in the US, they may have sold more per day, but as you said had less time, it does not mean they sold more, the figures are probably close, neither has really pulled ahead a significant amount that we know yet.

Anyway we will know more next month.

If you count the consoles sold per day, its possible that because sony's were out a week longer, their 'consoles per day' sales are lower. Both sides are choosing their statistics to suit their argument and neither have offered specific details about consoles sold over a specified period of time.

sarumite wrote: »
    If you count the consoles sold per day, its possible that because sony's were out a week longer, their 'consoles per day' sales are lower. Both sides are choosing their statistics to suit their argument and neither have offered specific details about consoles sold over a specified period of time.

Yep you're right about that, Sony seem to just mention milestones when it comes to figures and Microsoft only release them to make themselves look good, but both just cherry pick the stats that make them seem in pole position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

279XyL9.jpg

End of debate :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

just look at the games lineup on both and decide. xbox has the better imo, and going into the next 6 months aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hawkeye1 wrote: »
    just look at the games lineup on both and decide. xbox has the better imo, and going into the next 6 months aswell.

Thats probably the worst thing you could do.
    If you're buying a console for games that are coming out 6 months from now then you're doing it wrong.

Also I still think Sony will have the better exclusives.

• Advertisement

Hawkeye1 wrote: »

And what games would they be, seeing that they have no exclusives coming out with a release date for next year as it stands? Neither console will be in great shapes game wise for another 12 months as it stands, but at least Sony have been more open about upcoming games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

psn+ wipes the floor with xbl though, party chat or hundreds of quids worth of free games a year? I know what I'd rather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

krudler wrote: »
    psn+ wipes the floor with xbl though, party chat or hundreds of quids worth of free games a year? I know what I'd rather.

Depends whether you like those games though, if you don't there worth jack ****. I do however like watching sky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I found XBL on 360 much nicer to use than PSN on PS3, operation wise. The new PSN on PS4 is fantastic, but I haven't tried the new XBL.

PS Plus makes PSN much better for me, now, I guess. So many games for 50 quid a year, and I'm glad the social aspect of the service is now much more improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Depends whether you like those games though, if you don't there worth jack ****. I do however like watching sky :)

So what's my sky box for then?

There's a rake of great games. Assassins creed 3, far cry 3, Uncharted 3 and bf3 are just a few given away. You're bound to like a big handful, especially with the variety on offer.

Sony did some serious backtracking on PSN on the PS3, trying to make a big deal out of their free service but seeing fall flat when it was such a poor experience compared to the XBLA one.
    But when PS+ started giving you a decent games library for the price of a yearly subscription, it became essential, no where more so than the Vita, where most of the headline games have been given away so far.
    Even without the free stuff, the ability to have patches downloaded and installed over night would have sold it for me.
    So, my question is what will Sony do with PSN+ on the PS4, will we get a library of free titles emerging on the new system in 2014?
    And how will XBLA respond on the One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, my question is what will Sony do with PSN+ on the PS4, will we get a library of free titles emerging on the new system in 2014?
    And how will XBLA respond on the One?

Decembers PS4 PS+ game is Resogun, Don't Starve is coming in Jan I think. That's aside from the PS Vita & PS3 games on offer too! Seems to be business as normal on the excellent PS+.

I believe the performance on the PS4 is pretty good now in terms of download speeds, after some frankly pathetic years with the PS3, a good percentage of which was spent waiting for infernal patches to download and install, before PSN+ did it while I slept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

And what games would they be, seeing that they have no exclusives coming out with a release date for next year as it stands? Neither console will be in great shapes game wise for another 12 months as it stands, but at least Sony have been more open about upcoming games.

Forza 5 and Titanfall for starters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 MR.SKYRIM

F### next gen or current gen or whatever. I am not done with my xbox 360 or skyrim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement