Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

RasTa wrote: »
    does a 360 steering wheel work with it yet?

No, and it never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Playing the little brothers xbox one this morning.

First thoughts are the voice stuff is pointless and head-wrecking. He doesn't have UPC or SKY in his gaming room so pretty pointless. Haven't found any other real use for it.

Switch the region/locale to UK or USA to use the voice control for VERY handy UI navigation, instant switching and snapping.

Also what's the point of the camera, anything I can do with it?

It's used for games that utilize kinect, you can use it to instantly redeem a QR code instead of entering a 25 digit code and you can use it for Full HD Skype video calls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the extended display thingy, Illumiroom, they were demoing some time back would be a deal maker for me and the Xbox One, looks amazing.

At last, a good reason to own a Kinect!

The PS4 itch is starting now too, I kinda feel somewhere I want one.... bugger it, happens everytime....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That does look cool, but for me personally, I know I'd get dizzy after a while.

Went back to the PS3 yesterday for a bit. Everything is so slow compared to the PS4. Glad I kept Assassin's Creed until today, but those F2P games are still on the playlist for Christmas. I'm still really impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the extended display thingy, Illumiroom, they were demoing some time back would be a deal maker for me and the Xbox One, looks amazing.

At last, a good reason to own a Kinect!

The PS4 itch is starting now too, I kinda feel somewhere I want one.... bugger it, happens everytime....

Looks very off putting myself. Maybe it'll have a use, but it looks more like "we have this amazing technology, but don't know how to make it good yet".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I honestly think the Illumiroom is a terrible idea.

The cost would be too much, you'd need a huge room to have a tv and the Illumiroom both working in there, it's look painfully distracting.

And the most obvious one... why not just buy a projector?

I can see why people would like VR (after trying Oculus which was really impresive) but not this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It was only a matter of time Cidey, I'm surprised you lasted this long even :p Come on, join us on the dark side of the next gen :D

Very surprised at certain people on my Facebook getting PS4's for Christmas. These were very, very much Xbox men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tok9 wrote: »
    I honestly think the Illumiroom is a terrible idea.

The cost would be too much, you'd need a huge room to have a tv and the Illumiroom both working in there, it's look painfully distracting.

And the most obvious one... why not just buy a projector?

I can see why people would like VR (after trying Oculus which was really impresive) but not this.

Did you watch the video?
    It'll work with any room, it scans and tailors the image to suit.
    It's an active part of the onscreen action too.
    It means the game remains social, while wearing goggles is a solo affair, I own a Virtual Boy so I know what I am talking about!

Did you watch the video?
    It'll work with any room, it scans and tailors the image to suit.

Ya I watched it and genuinely don't see a market for it.

Just because it tailors to the room size doesn't mean the room can be small. Where would you place the device so it is not blocking anything and so it is not being obstructing by anything?
    It's an active part of the onscreen action too.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and better to just get a bigger screen/projector instead of needing two just for an effect that the game is outside the tv. If I had that device I'd put it somewhere I don't have a tv and use it as a projector.
    It means the game remains social, while wearing goggles is a solo affair, I own a Virtual Boy so I know what I am talking about!

I don't really see where social comes into it. I'd be a lot more interested in showing my friends the oculus rift and letting them look around a game world. And of course with most gaming being online then all you need is a headset.

Honestly do not see the point in it. I would say 3D gaming has a more immersive feeling than illumiroom.

Back to my main point.. it'll just be far too expensive imo. It's basically a projector so I'd be shocked if it was less than 400 euro. If it is cheaper than that, well done to MS but there is no way it'll sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its seems strange, i think its something you'd have to try. Have a feeling it will be more distracting than immersive really but we'll see i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would put that awesome MS gadget same place I would put my PlayStation camera - under the table somewhere in a ball of dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Another useless gimmick tbh

Well, seeing as no one here has tried it yet I guess it's hard to make a judgement on it's performance.
    But I do have a wide selection of devices that gather dust so it is a possibility.

I tell you what, when I get one I'll let you know if its pants and save you the trouble of buying one!

And re Oculus Rift, its probably the first time a head tracking mounted display has worked, if you had based your opinion of it on simply past performance of such devices no would have bought one.

We have to be open to innovation or we'll wind up just playing mild updates of consoles over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Isn't that what people said about those stupid cameras and motion controls?

They're all gimmicks they innovated and added nothing.

The only reason Oculus Rift works is because a visor is the only thing that's going to be completely immersive. A bad projection won't at all.

My TV is in a corner so this won't work flat out to begin with, no to mention if you had shelving around it'd feck up the projection.

Just get a projector and a blank wall and be done with it. The result will be much, much better.

Tbh this would be such wasted money that could be spent on making the console more powerful. These gimmicks are useless. PCs only get 'mild updates' and nobody complains because these gimmicks come and go. There not needed.

Well, seeing as no one here has tried it yet I guess it's hard to make a judgement on it's performance.
    But I do have a wide selection of devices that gather dust so it is a possibility.

I tell you what, when I get one I'll let you know if its pants and save you the trouble of buying one!

And re Oculus Rift, its probably the first time a head tracking mounted display has worked, if you had based your opinion of it on simply past performance of such devices no would have bought one.

We have to be open to innovation or we'll wind up just playing mild updates of consoles over and over again.

One thing is being open minded other thing is "its a stupid Idea".

Very simple thing that can give you a little taste of such technology: PC multimonitor setups. I always wanted a 3 monitor setup, so I was working towards it. I finally built 3 monitor setup and tried it. Played it for less then few hours and then just broke apart in to 3x1080p setup. Play on one and have 2 more monitors for other stuff.

I though it would be great, but it was more distracting and annoying. Even racing games were not that much better then I expected. First person shooters were the worst. It looks like that you can just look at the monitor and see what on the side, but its a lot harder then just flick your mouse and have your already focused eyes have a good look.
    So imagine all this now in a HUGE room. It looks Cool, no doubt, but it will get **** very very soon.

I dont really see how can you compare this to Oculus rift. That MS gimmick should not even be mentioned in Oculus rift conversation. Where's innovation comes in, Oculus rift ****s all over the Iliumiroom yoke.

Oh it's okay, there is no chance I'l buy that.

The thing with Oculus Rift is there has always been the idea of VR. Of true immersion. This is the first time that idea seems to have been realised and what could actually be relatively consumer friendly.

As I don't have a PC and probably won't for a few years really I'm disappointed that Sony are rumored to be creating there own VR device. It would have been fantastic if the Rift could have worked across all the devices. We'l just have to wait and see really.

Touchscreen devices took a decade before they became essential.
    I'm sure people who looked at the Newton would have cried off the Palm Pilot series as waste of money and seen no sense in Apple dipping its toes back into the touch screen market, never mind Nintendo, and yet now the phone market is dominated by touch screen devices and both major players in the handhelds sport touch screens as well.
    I'm not suggesting the Illumiroom has such a future ahead of it, it may turn out to be a disaster, but to dismiss innovations before trying them out is just foolish.

Touchscreen devices took a decade before they became essential.
    I'm sure people who looked at the Newton would have cried off the Palm Pilot series as waste of money and seen no sense in Apple dipping its toes back into the touch screen market, never mind Nintendo, and yet now the phone market is dominated by touch screen devices and both major players in the handhelds sport touch screens as well.
    I'm not suggesting the Illumiroom has such a future ahead of it, it may turn out to be a disaster, but to dismiss innovations before trying them out is just foolish.

Sorry, but I really doubt that people were not looking forward to touchscreen controls. It was something majority of population liked and were interested. For god sakes everyone loved to put their hands on some of that tech seen in sci-fi movies. You picking (again) very bad examples of tech to compare innovation wise to this gimmick.

I've never been a fan of motion control, but text entry on the PS4 moving the controller around using the gyroscope is actually faster than selecting each letter with the D-Pad.

Great implementation by Sony there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of motion control, but text entry on the PS4 moving the controller around using the gyroscope is actually faster than selecting each letter with the D-Pad.

Great implementation by Sony there.

Smartglass for Xbox is deadly for typing fast too, don't Sony also have something like that for phone/pc to enter?

Yeah, I'll have to look it up for in-game messaging buddies etc.

Ah look, I'm not trying to be oppositional, I think it looks interesting at least.
    Bit sure where the dislike is coming from.
    Same as you, been gaming for a very long time, loads of hardware and controllers, but I'm always open to something new.
    Glass half full and all that.
    The Kinect is pitiful though, at least as a gaming device. Some interesting applications elsewhere though.

I just think it looks foolish... simple as. If I want to see more I'll get a bigger screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I have a 100 inch image from projector with a fairly expensive fixed mounted screen with felt black borders. I watch all of my tv on it and play most of my games on it and it looks terrific......so the illumiroom does nothing for me at all.

It's a nice technical show piece and I applaud them for trying but it's not what people want.

The rift is where it's at. I'll be getting one when they go retail as it offers me an experience I don't already have.....and can't currently get.

It's good that we keep innovating but innovations aren't always good. Take 3D for example. In the cinema and at home. 3D is a gimmick. It doesn't work well. It darkens the image too much and causes eye strain and headaches for a lot of people.....and it doesn't really look that much better or cooler.

Movies in 3d and my own 3dsxl which I love hasn't changed that. But VR like the Rift is a whole different kettle of fish and people are going to jump all over it. It's the future. It's the stopgap between flat screen and holographic projection.

We already have fully 3d holograms but they aren't even nearly ready for commercial implementation and sale. We are about 30 years from that and VR sets like the Rift will what a lot of home systems are going to look like in the next few years. The TV isn't going anywhere....but it will be supplemented by a small device that can simulate being in a cinema or in your favourite game. People will want one.

I never said they wouldn't.
    People over on the A&R forum have one and say it's remarkable.
    Never said it wasn't.
    Only remarked that past experience with VR would have made many to discount the tech as a gimmick, if the yard stick mentioned here for the likes of illumiroom was typical.
    Having big devs support the Rift had gone a long way to help market the Rift while still in Beta so they've had that on their side, plus the component performance is finally good enough to give a device that lives up to the hype, which is great.
    I'm not trumpeting the likes of the Illumiroom as next big thing, only remarked that I though it was cool and something MS were doing with the Xbox One that had potential.
    I've got a projector too, don't really use it aside from forum Beers nights for big screen Bomberman, but this send different and I'll keep an open mind.

Was in the mood for a PS4 but the brother just bought an Xbox One, might buy one as well and join him.
    At least there's a few in stock around and about, not many, but a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I finished Metal Gear Rising recently and it got me thinking about why people are a bit disappointed in the jump to next gen in terms of graphics. Games like the Last of Us and Uncharted get lauded for their graphics but a lot of this is due to the cutscenes. Gameplay graphics are pared back significantly and are actually quite plain. The cutscenes however are all full motion video. It's using the same engine but the detail has been ramped up to levels that the PS3 wouldn't hope to be able to replicate. It was the same in Metal Gear Rising although much more so in this. It looks rather plain in the gameplay sections since it has to keep a frame rate of 60 per second but in cutscenes which are all video the texture and model detail is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DarrenLyndon

I think both consoles have there own advantages and will both make sales but what i would recommend for anyone thinking of which one to get i would go for the console that your friends have as all the little differences between the xbox one and ps4 wont mean anything once your having fun online and enjoying the games your playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I finished Metal Gear Rising recently and it got me thinking about why people are a bit disappointed in the jump to next gen in terms of graphics. Games like the Last of Us and Uncharted get lauded for their graphics but a lot of this is due to the cutscenes. Gameplay graphics are pared back significantly and are actually quite plain. The cutscenes however are all full motion video. It's using the same engine but the detail has been ramped up to levels that the PS3 wouldn't hope to be able to replicate. It was the same in Metal Gear Rising although much more so in this. It looks rather plain in the gameplay sections since it has to keep a frame rate of 60 per second but in cutscenes which are all video the texture and model detail is far better.

I disagree with Uncharted. I always found that it was the colour palatte they nailed perfectly, even during in gameplay. I used to stop and just look around mid game and admire the view. It was something similar with Red Dead and the vistas in Mexico. The graphical fidelity doesn't need to be perfect if they hit the art direction just right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement