Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'm not going to argue the art direction isn't phenomenal in Uncharted because it is but they really ramp up the detail in the FMV cutscenes. It's more so on the characters than the environment, MG Rising really ramps up texture detail in comparison, but still they add extra AA and anisotropic filtering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some new announcements from Sony.

PS Now by the summer, think beta in Jan for US
    Cloud based TV

Actually this is pretty big

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284294/sony-announces-playstation-now-cloud-gaming
    PlayStation Now will allow streaming of classics from those systems to not only PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, but to televisions, tablets, and smartphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

"not quite ready to confirm launch plans for PAL territories" yet:

"When it comes to broadband provision, Europe is a considerably more complex region, with a huge number of different providers and varying connection speeds from country to country. In short, we need a little more time to ensure a smooth and successful roll-out."

Wonder just how long that "little more time" will be. When it's available here, that'll be when I get a PS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I'm not going to argue the art direction isn't phenomenal in Uncharted because it is but they really ramp up the detail in the FMV cutscenes. It's more so on the characters than the environment, MG Rising really ramps up texture detail in comparison, but still they add extra AA and anisotropic filtering.

Just on MG Rising, on the 360 anyway I felt they had to make massive graphical compromises to get the game running at the speed it needed to. I'd go as far as saying the world itself (the characters did generally look good) was downright ugly at times, with incredibly basic textures and levels of detail. It ran beautifully at a pretty consistent 60FPS, and naturally compromises had to be made because a lot of stuff was sliceable. But in terms of in-game graphical detail I felt it had nothing on many of the generation's best looking games: in fact, it was one of the few games I felt disappointed at when I took the time to examine the world in detail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is why I mentioned it because there's such a big difference between in game and cutscenes but it's the same in other games like Last of Us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Which is why I mentioned it because there's such a big difference between in game and cutscenes but it's the same in other games like Last of Us.

I understand and agree to an extent with what you are saying but I don't think there is as huge a gap as you make out with TLOU... While yes it looks better in cut scenes like the majority of games but not so much that there is a jarring difference once you start the game play again like there is in something like MGR.

I still play TLOU regularly enough (MP) and even there the game looks gorgeous.

I'll be interested to see what Quantic Dreams (?) show next... not that it'll be a masterpiece but Beyond was without doubt the best looking game on the PS3 and the tech demo they had for PS4 was pretty impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'd agree I'd put MGS Rising on the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to divisions between gameplay and cutscenes. Most if not all games obviously feature a drop in quality compared to the controlled cutscenes, but I'd say stuff like Uncharted or The Last of Us still look excellent when you're in control. MGS, in terms of in-game detail, looks sort of crappy. You can see it with something like Zelda: A Link Between Worlds as well - that's another game I felt sacrificed graphical detail to achieve a silky smooth FPS. In both games I think the decision ultimately works in the games' favour as it benefits the gameplay, but it does highlight some of the limitations of their respective hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

Whoa i am genuinely suprised by that divide. Well MS have no one to blame but themselves.

360 was a great device until they started trying to turn into a Wii/Media Center/Marketing Tool

Now those same goons have even more control over the Xbox one and have forgot its a gaming machine. Still bought it though............controller is infinitely bettter

#itjustis

Well I'm not trying to say TLOU looks bad I'm more saying that people have unrealistic expectations of what to expect on current consoles because a lot of people expect games to look better than the cutscenes in TLOU. That game in the cutscenes really ramps up the character model detail especially facial detail in these scenes to a level that is not realistic on the PS3. The fact that it's not jarring is part of that problem because a lot of people won't realise that it's actually FMV and not in engine. The fact that it not being jarring is a triumph for the art and design team isn't being disputed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

jbdub wrote: »
    Whoa i am genuinely suprised by that divide. Well MS have no one to blame but themselves.

360 was a great device until they started trying to turn into a Wii/Media Center/Marketing Tool

Now those same goons have even more control over the Xbox one and have forgot its a gaming machine. Still bought it though............controller is infinitely bettter

#itjustis

Have you even tried the DS4? People seem to think it's exactly like the DS3. There's no difference anymore, just preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Have you even tried the DS4? People seem to think it's exactly like the DS3. There's no difference anymore, just preference.

all they really did was make it bigger for the western world haha
    they really need to sort out the thumb sticks though horrible wear and tear after only a few weeks playing not too mention the blisters but too be fair thats me playing too much:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    all they really did was make it bigger for the western world haha
    they really need to sort out the thumb sticks though horrible wear and tear after only a few weeks playing not too mention the blisters but too be fair thats me playing too much:p
    Far as I know, the wear doesn't affect everyone and is isolated enough. I've played a fair bit over the weeks and I've noticed nothing. Still, that needs to be sorted out all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's no much between the controllers of you ask me. Of course some will pretend they'd held a hot snot rag when describing either.

The triggers have been massively improved as well, and it's really nice having a big button in the middle of the controller (touch pad). The actual touch function I haven't seen any decent use of - that's a 'wait and see' if ever there was one, but its use in the menus for War Thunder for example is pretty awful - but the button itself feels like a much more natural way of accessing menus or maps in game, even if it is basically just replacing the old select button.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Even though the DS3 wasn't an ideal controller I still managed to have a great time playing some fantastic games with it.
    I expect the DS4 to be no different in that respect, the controller may have weaknesses it will still be a conduit to some good times.

I agree, the way some people go on about the Dualshock you'd swear it was the video game controller equivalent of a war crime :pac: DS1-3 were simply mediocre, serviceable but unremarkable. Unless you were playing something that required, say, precise D-Pad controls (although it's been a while since any standard controller has been fit for that purpose :() it just did the job, not feeling like it was in the way. The third incarnation, stuck in arrested development, undoubtedly felt inferior to the 360 offering - mostly the triggers - and even in its refined fourth version it does not approach the heady heights of, say, the Gamecube controller (ssssppprrrriinnngggg). It has also never felt ideal for some genres, like shooters (DS4 is a notable improvement in that regard, thankfully). But it is simply a console controller, like many others - not the best, not the worst, and certainly not something I've ever considered a dealbreaker in any significant way.

And hey, it will always be the best way to play Tony Hawks Pro Skater ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

PS4's sold out everywhere and Xbox One's are easy to get. Having a blast with AC4, BF4 and KZ: SF so far. Infamous and watch dogs coming out soon. The PS4 has gotten off to a much better start than the PS3 sales wise and games wise more importantly. I can only imagine how good it will get if the PS3 is anything to go by. So exited for the future, PS2 glory days look to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well tbf, the Xbox One has sold really well too. These sales figures as a whole are pretty much unprecedented so it's overall a very good outlook for consoles.

Hopefully the Wii U will start selling well soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    PS4's sold out everywhere and Xbox One's are easy to get.

Ireland is unusually Sony biased with regards to customers though. I only know one other person in real life that bought an xbox one and I know several who bought ps4's. We are simply a Sony country. The poll we had on here was indicative of this. The ps4 wont outsell the xbox 3:1 even though our poll suggested that was what the guys in here voted.

We aren't really representative of the international community so I wouldn't read that much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

There are PS4's available in a good few argos stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kirby wrote: »
    Ireland is unusually Sony biased with regards to customers though. I only know one other person in real life that bought an xbox one and I know several who bought ps4's. We are simply a Sony country. The poll we had on here was indicative of this. The ps4 wont outsell the xbox 3:1 even though our poll suggested that was what the guys in here voted.

We aren't really representative of the international community so I wouldn't read that much into it.

The 360 was more popular here than the PS3 though and proof of that was in CoD and Fifa platform sales year on year. Same in the UK but this time the PS4 is way out in front. My local Gamestop last weekend had no PS4s in stock with people coming in looking for them yet they have been sitting on 22 X1s since before Xmas that they can't shift.

All my mates had 360s last gen, I was the only PS3 owner. I have both consoles Ps4 and X1 and I'm the only one I know that has an X1.

Ireland is unusually Sony biased with regards to customers though. I only know one other person in real life that bought an xbox one and I know several who bought ps4's. We are simply a Sony country.

I know yeah but just did a bit of googling on it. Yeah we're a big Sony country and similar to you I don't know anyone with an Xbox One but quite a few with a PS4 already and more who are on waiting lists.

Worldwide apparently MS has sold 3 million and Sony has sold 4.2 million but the demand for the PS4 is far higher as it's sold out everywhere unlike the Xbox. Sounds like the Wii when it came out and the PS2 before.

Also Sony has sold more in the US which is traditionally a MS stronghold and that's where Sony have the most issues in relation to supply. The UK the PS4 has already outsold the WII U and the rest of the EU is being dominated by the PS4.

When you consider the PS4 still has to come out in Japan it really is looking bright for the playstation. That can only mean one thing, more and better games.

I hope the Xbox can keep up a reasonable steady pace and hang in there as competition is great and IMO the only reason the PS3 got itself together in the way it did. The Wii U I'd say the same but that system after being available for 2 Xmas periods and after numerous top games releasing has still only sold 5 million or so units. At most I'd say it will hit 10 million after next Xmas which is terrible. Back to the drawing boards for nintendo it seems.

The 360 was more popular here than the PS3 though .

:confused: It wasn't though. I'm not sure where you got that idea or where you read those statistics. And fifa and cod sales being higher on the 360 doesn't necessarily point to sales of one console over another.......merely an indication of the type of gamer that uses that console.
    Worldwide apparently MS has sold 3 million and Sony has sold 4.2 million

No they haven't. They've made that many consoles....and therefore considered them "sold". For all we know, half of them are sitting in a warehouse. Retail figures are the only ones that matter. I would imagine the actual figure would be much lower than 3 millions and 4.2 million.

The 360 was more popular here than the PS3 though and proof of that was in CoD and Fifa platform sales year on year. Same in the UK but this time the PS4 is way out in front. My local Gamestop last weekend had no PS4s in stock with people coming in looking for them yet they have been sitting on 22 X1s since before Xmas that they can't shift.

All my mates had 360s last gen, I was the only PS3 owner. I have both consoles Ps4 and X1 and I'm the only one I know that has an X1.

I had PS3 and Xbox last gen preferring the Xbox for the first half and then preferring the PS3 for the second half. This time I planned on getting both but it looks like I might not get the Xbox One at all. I don't want to spend a rake of money on something my friends don't have and to be honest I think the PS4 will have a much btter games library over the next few years.

MS have lost their way big time since they started pushing Kinnect. I

:confused: It wasn't though. I'm not sure where you got that idea or where you read those statistics. And fifa and cod sales being higher on the 360 doesn't necessarily point to sales of one console over another.......merely an indication of the type of gamer that uses that console.

OK not going ot argue here as I don't really know. I always thought the Xbox was more popular for a few years but then over the last 3 years or so the PS3 over took it. At least in my group of friends anyway and I hang around with all types of people.

We went from a PS1/PS2 country to a Wii and Xbox/PS3 country but now it's looking to be shifting once again. The best thing is that the games industry well consoles industry is looking stronger than ever.

No they haven't. They've made that many consoles....and therefore considered them "sold". For all we know, half of them are sitting in a warehouse. Retail figures are the only ones that matter. I would imagine the actual figure would be much lower than 3 millions and 4.2 million.

OK point taken. Considering I've seen first hand the PS4 is sold out and the Xbox One is nowhere near sold out I well believe you. You have to say Sony have turned it around big time since the bad PS3 launch year.

Do you know if the PS3 has reached the 100 million milestone yet or if it's likely too? I know the Wii has anyway..

It will be interesting how the console does in Japan. I expect intial high sales from the otaku and then sales plummeting rapidly. Japan is dominated by handhelds now but maybe we will see a change with the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

When you consider the PS4 still has to come out in Japan it really is looking bright for the playstation. That can only mean one thing, more and better games.

1. japan no longer matters much in sales as portables dominate the gaming scene over there. they were more excited for vita tv than the PS4

2. A bright future for playstation doesnt equal a return to the ps2 days. Exclusives will be a rarity outside of 1st party games as devs cant afford to be exclusive to one console. we are far from the position of the OXB and GC only selling 25-30mill total all consoles will selling about equal +/- 10-15mill (wii U will be behind but i expect nintendo to release a new console in 3 years anyway)

3. Sony can still **** it up their a company laced with incompetence tbh and they currently have a 80% likelihood of going bankrupt in 2 years time

Not everything is as rosy as it seems for playstation

It will be interesting how the console does in Japan. I expect intial high sales from the otaku and then sales plummeting rapidly. Japan is dominated by handhelds now but maybe we will see a change with the PS4.

That's a good shout. I'd say so.

I think any new tech has recently struggled at launch in Japan though. I mean the 3ds completely tanked and yet that has turned out to be a very big success long term.

The opening 6 months used to make or break a console back in the day but I think it's slightly less important these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

That's a good shout. I'd say so.

I think any new tech has recently struggled at launch in Japan though. I mean the 3ds completely tanked and yet that has turned out to be a very big success long term.

The opening 6 months used to make or break a console back in the day but I think it's slightly less important these days.

DS had a much stronger games line up around the 3ds launch. had some of those ds games been conveted to 3ds it would have been different (pokemon B&W came out 2 months before the 3ds launch)

Nintendo have awful issues with their software platform management tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement