Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Have you even tried the DS4? People seem to think it's exactly like the DS3. There's no difference anymore, just preference.
    Yeah I have used it, dont get me wrong it is far better that PS3 one but still not the natural fit for most games.
    Look I think the PS4 is a better machine but it is a fact that the controller is not as good for gaming. Nothing is more important than how your hand and fingers sit on a controller and all the touchpads in the world won't change that.
    Also i've owned both PS3 and Xbox 360 for years so I'm not just being a fanboy.
    I think people just get used to the PS controller and find it hard then to move to Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

jbdub wrote: »
    Yeah I have used it, dont get me wrong it is far better that PS3 one but still not the natural fit for most games.
    Look I think the PS4 is a better machine but it is a fact that the controller is not as good for gaming. Nothing is more important than how your hand and fingers sit on a controller and all the touchpads in the world won't change that.
    Also i've owned both PS3 and Xbox 360 for years so I'm not just being a fanboy.
    I think people just get used to the PS controller and find it hard then to move to Xbox

I hated the "triggers" on the DS3. However I hated the 360 controller way more. I don't like the asymmetrical joysticks (I think this is just preference though). I like playing on high sensitivity so the 'dead zone' all 360 controllers got in their joysticks was a dealbreaker for me. I thought that the triggers were a little stiff and could be annoying (minor problem, easily overlooked). The big xbox button was too easy to hit accidentally when pressing back or start. The d-pad sucked. They always seemed to break in some way after a few years (either one of the bumper buttons would start sticking or one of the joysticks would rest pointing in a direction). I resented having to buy batteries or battery packs. I still get annoyed that if I want to switch controllers for any reason it's a huge faff on the 360.

Basically I think the 360 controller was worse, but people bought the 360 because it was cheaper and got used to the controller and had a hard time switching back to the PS controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    PS4's sold out everywhere and Xbox One's are easy to get. Having a blast with AC4, BF4 and KZ: SF so far. Infamous and watch dogs coming out soon. The PS4 has gotten off to a much better start than the PS3 sales wise and games wise more importantly. I can only imagine how good it will get if the PS3 is anything to go by. So exited for the future, PS2 glory days look to be back!

Based on what, good sales? The PS4 will need to match the PS2 in the quality of the games that were released for it, not getting off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nazzu

Based on what, good sales? The PS4 will need to match the PS2 in the quality of the games that were released for it, not getting off to a good start.

We know your a bit of a fanboy and I quite like my One I must say, but seriously you cannot say the PS4 is off to a bad start gameswise, when we only have 2 games on the One with a definite known release date coming out in the next 6 months that are not ports or digital games, and only one of those games is a console exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry to burst peoples bubbles but the PS2 glory days won't ever be back. Those days could have only happened during the PS2. Games just cost too much to make now and require such big teams to make that it will never happen again.

During the PS2 days you had developers like Capcom and Konami with amazing in house teams working on a huge variety of games. Now something like MGS4 or Resi 4 takes up the entire development force of those studios and they still have to outsource for most of the work. Also there were lots of small quirky studios making some very innovative and weird games since you could make a nice profit with only 40k sales since budgets were so low.

The indie scene is as close as we have gotten to that now.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sorry to burst peoples bubbles but the PS2 glory days won't ever be back. Those days could have only happened during the PS2. Games just cost too much to make now and require such big teams to make that it will never happen again.

During the PS2 days you had developers like Capcom and Konami with amazing in house teams working on a huge variety of games. Now something like MGS4 or Resi 4 takes up the entire development force of those studios and they still have to outsource for most of the work. Also there were lots of small quirky studios making some very innovative and weird games since you could make a nice profit with only 40k sales since budgets were so low.

The indie scene is as close as we have gotten to that now.

Perhaps the indie scene will mature into the kind of studios Capcom and Konami had in the PS2 days? There might be some interesting times ahead as small indie companies start expanding a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's natural to be envious at times when a game comes into a system that you don't have. I guess you could say PS4 users might be envious of Titanfall, although it certainly been rammed across hard on these threads considering it's not out, not does it have a predecessor in a series, but I do think it will be good for an online only title.

One game that is not being envied enough by Xbox One only users, and indeed not hyped (and probably won't be appreciated enough) by PS4 owners is Infamous Second Son.

I honestly don't get when gamers of any console say that Infamous doesn't interest them. It's a super hero game. What movies did you watch as a kid?! Hehe. I know people with PS3s who haven't played either Infamous title, and they love Prototype, Assassins Creed Uncharted etc.

Now if you've played them and have gripes or issues with them that's fair enough, but put the Infamous series on your radar if you've never played them. You won't be disappointed.

Excellent series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played the first Infamous and was quickly bored senseless by its incredibly uninspired city and mission design. A game of the blandest, most repetitious busywork, giving you little to do with your crazy powers. I believe the second is better, but my time with the first was dulling.

I'm much more excited about the many independent games lined up for PS4, above and beyond the AAA games being teased on either console. The Witness and Everyone's Gone to the Rapture alone constitute a pair of near killer apps for me, as long as they're, y'know, actually good. Below also looks like a good solid title for Xbox One, certainly fascinated to see what the Superbrothers do next. And forget Titanfall - the next game from Swery is the type of game to get jealous of!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, very much intrigued and looking forward to D4 despite knowing very little about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Worldwide apparently MS has sold 3 million and Sony has sold 4.2 million
    Bit of a misnomer. The One is out in 13 markets, PS4 in 48.
    When you consider the PS4 still has to come out in Japan it really is looking bright for the playstation. That can only mean one thing, more and better games.
    Its obvious the PS4 will sell more than the One, but I don't think the PS4 will sell that much. It's much more about handhelds nowadays.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Japan is dominated by handhelds now but maybe we will see a change with the PS4.
    If the Vita was doing better in Japan, I'd place greater plausibility in that. It seems the two will work very well together. Maybe the Vita will start to pick up traction and get some PS4 sales though. We'll have to see how that plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I played the first Infamous and was quickly bored senseless by its incredibly uninspired city and mission design. A game of the blandest, most repetitious busywork, giving you little to do with your crazy powers. I believe the second is better, but my time with the first was dulling.

I'm much more excited about the many independent games lined up for PS4, above and beyond the AAA games being teased on either console. The Witness and Everyone's Gone to the Rapture alone constitute a pair of near killer apps for me, as long as they're, y'know, actually good. Below also looks like a good solid title for Xbox One, certainly fascinated to see what the Superbrothers do next. And forget Titanfall - the next game from Swery is the type of game to get jealous of!

I got the second one on psplus and have found it much the same after two hours. Might go back to see if it improves. I wouldn't buy a PS4 for this exclusive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I haven't liked the Infamous franchise so far, I'm not interested in the next one either.
    For open world super hero antics, Rocksteadys Batman fitted the bill just fine.
    And looking at the next 6 months of releases it looks a little thread bare.

Aside from Infamous Second Son, Planetside 2 is the one I have my hopes pinned on. I also hope were still getting s PS Plus version of Drive Club, as its not something I'd buy off the shelf without trying for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Bit of a misnomer. The One is out in 13 markets, PS4 in 48.

Its obvious the PS4 will sell more than the One, but I don't think the PS4 will sell that much. It's much more about handhelds nowadays.

If the Vita was doing better in Japan, I'd place greater plausibility in that. It seems the two will work very well together. Maybe the Vita will start to pick up traction and get some PS4 sales though. We'll have to see how that plays out.

I don't think Xbox will sell much in the areas it's not out in tbh. Xbone is out in it's major markets and Sony still has Japan. Guessing at least another million there.

For example El Salvador, Guatemala, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Argentina, Luxembourg, Mexico, Panama, Peru make up the 53 countries it's out in

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

I hated the "triggers" on the DS3. However I hated the 360 controller way more. I don't like the asymmetrical joysticks (I think this is just preference though). I like playing on high sensitivity so the 'dead zone' all 360 controllers got in their joysticks was a dealbreaker for me. I thought that the triggers were a little stiff and could be annoying (minor problem, easily overlooked). The big xbox button was too easy to hit accidentally when pressing back or start. The d-pad sucked. They always seemed to break in some way after a few years (either one of the bumper buttons would start sticking or one of the joysticks would rest pointing in a direction). I resented having to buy batteries or battery packs. I still get annoyed that if I want to switch controllers for any reason it's a huge faff on the 360.

Basically I think the 360 controller was worse, but people bought the 360 because it was cheaper and got used to the controller and had a hard time switching back to the PS controller.

Nah I think it's pretty much accepted now that asymmetrical joysticks are far superior. Even PC version of the xbox controller is better rated the PS style controllers

Also all the faults you mentioned are not common place as far as im aware. They could have happened to PS controllers too surely.

I don't think ppl bought the 360 solely because it was cheaper either. I had both consoles and as much as I liked the PS3 the reason I prefered the 360 was because of the games and the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The only controller I have liked that used asymmetrical analog sticks was the GameCube one, I have no problems with the DS4 and the symmetrical placements, then again I do not play shooters, the controller is a very nice step up from the DS3 in my opinion, will be better if they ever find a use for the touch pad as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No one can forsee how well the consoles are going to perform,
    that tool Pachter has been making a living spinning such yarns and few gamers trust a word he says.
    People looking at the early 3DS sales were fortelling it's doom but now it's making Nintendo a fortune.
    To a lesser extent the Vita has staged a comeback too, and while it's not in the 3DS's league, it's selling in respectable numbers now in Japan and with the Vita TV it's liable to get an even bigger boost.

Once the markets open up both the PS4 and Xbox One are going to sell a ton.
    The asian markets may be more interested in the Sony product however, but so what, if both machines are well supported by developers through their lifetimes, developers who are interested in innovating, making new experiences instead of another 3rd person brawler or Call of Modern Duty fps, the fact that one sells 5 squillion while the other sells 8 squillion will be entirely irrelevant, except to kids in a schoolyard who are too ignorant and immature to know any better.

Xenji wrote: »
    The only controller I have liked that used asymmetrical analog sticks was the GameCube one, I have no problems with the DS4 and the symmetrical placements, then again I do not play shooters, the controller is a very nice step up from the DS3 in my opinion, will be better if they ever find a use for the touch pad as well.

I'm finding the WiiU Pro Controller to be strange, it's a symmetrical design but the thumb sticks are in the wrong place! It feels like they should be in the same place as the DS3/4!
    I'm sure some third party will produce an adapter or a controller with more traditionally placed sticks, also though, the triggers feel weird...

jbdub wrote: »
    Nah I think it's pretty much accepted now that asymmetrical joysticks are far superior. Even PC version of the xbox controller is better rated the PS style controllers

Also all the faults you mentioned are not common place as far as im aware. They could have happened to PS controllers too surely.

I don't think ppl bought the 360 solely because it was cheaper either. I had both consoles and as much as I liked the PS3 the reason I prefered the 360 was because of the games and the controller.

Accepted by who? How are they superior? I'm pretty sure they're just more popular, which is not an indication of superiority in my view.

Every person I know, bar none, have these problems with their older 360 controllers. Most don't notice the "dead zones" as they play on a lower sensitivity so the small, subtle motions aren't needed. I've yet to use a PS3 pad with the same problems, but my sample size is not nearly as large as the majority of my friends have the 360.

I think it went a long way to influencing people to buying the 360. Sony slashed the price and sales went up. I'm not saying it was the sole reason, but I think it was a significant one.

• Advertisement

I never minded the Dualshock series stick placement but then, most of the time, I was using the left stick and the buttons on the right, similarly with the 360 pad, excepting on fps and as mentioned before, fps on the PS3 was never a priority for me at least.
    As for the almighty GC pad, I never liked it, much to the dismay of the locals in the Arcade&Retro forum, not sure why they continue to let me Mod it, given that and my dislike of Streets of Rage and GoldenAxe!

Whatever is wrong with my brain or hands, the difference in stick layout on the consoles doesn't bother me one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    People looking at the early 3DS sales were fortelling it's doom but now it's making Nintendo a fortune.

Why do people keep bringing this up? The 3DS was in serious danger of becoming a failure. Thankfully, Nintendo drastically dropped the price, commissioned some genuinely good games and quickly brought it back.

Saying something has been in trouble does not become suddenly false when a company makes changes to avoid said danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Otacon wrote: »
    Why do people keep bringing this up? The 3DS was in serious danger of becoming a failure. Thankfully, Nintendo drastically dropped the price, commissioned some genuinely good games and quickly brought it back.
    The Wii U has lots of great titles in the works, and a price cut will happen at some point, so it its not as if there is no equivalence.

Otacon wrote: »

Saying something has been in trouble does not become suddenly false when a company makes changes to avoid said danger.

We bring it up because it is an excellent example of a console that was consigned to oblivion.
    When we see the health risks to the eyes of small children that was revealed as a real issue with the 3DS, it eclipses the drama surrounding the Xbox One and its DRM issues, but the 3DS overcame and somehow wound being the most popular console on the planet right now.
    And you're right, of course you are, it was action by Nintendo that gave the 3DS the launch it needed, some 12 months after the actual launch!
    People are making massive assumptions on the future viability of consoles based on very limited information.
    We'll watch the next 12 months, see what happens, there is no doubt the PS4 and Xbox One are going to sell buckets, the WiiU may or may not do well but we just don't know.
    The 3DS will probably be updated in another 2 or 3 years, and the Vita will be buoyed by the Vita TV and the PS4.
    And there I go making massive assumptions based on limited information!

Nazzu wrote: »
    We know your a bit of a fanboy and I quite like my One I must say, but seriously you cannot say the PS4 is off to a bad start gameswise, when we only have 2 games on the One with a definite known release date coming out in the next 6 months that are not ports or digital games, and only one of those games is a console exclusive.

titan4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nazzu wrote: »
    Am I supposed to be impressed by that :confused: I have a Xbox One but not everyone likes FPS games, people who just play them are actually a plague on the gaming industry as it stands now, plus people who just play FPS games and Fifa are not real gamers, more like the uneducated self absorbent leeches of the gaming world....Titanfall will not be the be all and end all for everyone, it is not like it is even original, just a mash up between CoD and MechWarrior.

You are a total fanboy when it comes to this and have nothing constructive to say in your defence when anything is put to you, besides Titanfall, Titanfall and well Titanfall, really grow up.
    titan4.gif

Bet you did that on purpose :pac:

I've never seen a gif get so much milage since Michael Jackson eating popcorn!

Xenji wrote: »
    Bet you did that on purpose :pac:

Only as a joke :)

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've never seen a gif get so much milage since Michael Jackson eating popcorn!

Ha Ha if the game turns out to be crap I'll delete my Boards account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement