Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ha Ha if the game turns out to be crap I'll delete my Boards account.
    Nah, just say, look at my user name! I was drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As for the almighty GC pad, I never liked it, much to the dismay of the locals in the Arcade&Retro forum, not sure why they continue to let me Mod it, given that and my dislike of Streets of Rage and GoldenAxe!

:eek:

Whatever about the GC controller I would have assumed the bit in bold was essential criteria to like! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Getting called a fanboy is funny to me. People don't realise that I have an X1, PC, 3DS XL, Vita, Dreamcast, GBA, GBA101 and buy consoles old and new from every company. I'll be picking up a PS4 at some point, especially for the Naughty Dog exclusives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Getting called a fanboy is funny to me. People don't realise that I have an X1, PC, 3DS XL, Vita, Dreamcast, GBA, GBA101 and buy consoles old and new from every company. I'll be picking up a PS4 at some point, especially for the Naughty Dog exclusives.

So you're a Naughty Dog fanboy then.... ;)
    Just bear in mind they made utter rubbish like this once upon a time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Gotta go all the way back to 94 ! :D

Rumors are that Outlast is being released free on PS4 with PS+ next month, not bad if its true. Also Bioshock Infinite and Metro:Last Light for PS3 users. Hard to beat that value i'd say.

• Advertisement

Also, there's been a big fuss about Titanfall only have 12 players max per game. Seems a bit on the low side, especially since they're now saying that maps can have as many as 50 units running around (AI soldiers + Users + titans on follow mode). Has me slightly worried that it will feel more like a co-op game than full on multiplayer. Apparently they struggled to find balance because of how the game has a lot of vertical entry points etc... maybe they had to compensate for the lack of control you'd get with a gamepad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Titanfall only has 12 players per game? I really should read up more on it. That seems too low for an online game of it's nature... for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

That does seem a bit low to me too. Hopefully that limitation does not apply to PC version (I'm sure the community will quickly sort that out if it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I get that they're going for a game style with action happening all the time, but the maps must be quite small with teams of 6. Big battle games can be done well, I think I prefer those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Grayditch wrote: »
    I get that they're going for a game style with action happening all the time, but the maps must be quite small with teams of 6. Big battle games can be done well, I think I prefer those.
    I am hoping for smaller urban style maps which is more than likely what we will get. I like to have a good mix of FPS, Battlefield for huge maps and numbers, Call of duty for smaller maps with intense close quarters matches. I have grown tired of COD so I'd like Titanfall to be the game I play for close quarters madness.

Grayditch wrote: »
    But thats the point. It isn't just teams of 6. There'll be a lot more going on on the map. Granted, it'll be AI, but they will take up space on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My dog just chewed up my ps4 controller charger cable. Obviously PS4 is worse console, because xbox one has not cable and only AAa batteries! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My dog just chewed up my ps4 controller charger cable. Obviously PS4 is worse console, because xbox one has not cable and only AAa batteries! :pac:

X1 controller charge cable is dog resistant.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    But thats the point. It isn't just teams of 6. There'll be a lot more going on on the map. Granted, it'll be AI, but they will take up space on a map.

Yeah it sounds strange, i wonder if killing bots count towards your score and stuff. Would be pretty strange if people at the top of the scoreboard got most of their kills from the bots and **** lol. Guess we'll have to see, still looking forward to it.. hope the PC version has more players tho and its just a battlefield type of issue were the consoles can't really handle the bigger servers.

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah it sounds strange, i wonder if killing bots count towards your score and stuff. Would be pretty strange if people at the top of the scoreboard got most of their kills from the bots and **** lol. Guess we'll have to see, still looking forward to it.. hope the PC version has more players tho and its just a battlefield type of issue were the consoles can't really handle the bigger servers.
    Doesn't sound like it is. It sounds like they playtested it and found 6 v 6 with AI worked best. From the links I posted earlier:
    Its mostly the consistency of firefights. Lower player counts and there starts to be too many lulls in the action, too many “Hrmm… where to go now…” thoughts going through your head. Higher than it and there’s just too much. You lose the ability to “keep it all from spilling over”, so to speak, in your brain. 6v6 hit upon the sweet spot of being able to keep track of everything you’re seeing, all the information coming in from your POV, the mini map, the obituary scroll, your teammates chatter, etc. Most players are usually still feeling quite in control of what they’re doing, where they’re going, and what they want to accomplish. Beyond 6v6 and it quickly turned into much more of a random mosh pit of “How did I die?” and feeling like there was nothing that could have been done to NOT die. Thats an important distinction to make.
    “And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you’ll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can’t take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode – meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.”
    It doesn't sound like PC is going to change things. It'd kinda put a strain on their credibility to do so, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Bit of a misnomer. The One is out in 13 markets, PS4 in 48.

Its obvious the PS4 will sell more than the One, but I don't think the PS4 will sell that much. It's much more about handhelds nowadays.

If the Vita was doing better in Japan, I'd place greater plausibility in that. It seems the two will work very well together. Maybe the Vita will start to pick up traction and get some PS4 sales though. We'll have to see how that plays out.

Not really considering PS4 outsold Xbox in all it's 13 markets including the US and the UK. It may b out in 48 markets but most of those are very small markets. Xbox is out in all the major ones bar Japan where Sony is yet to release and lifetime in Japan you'd expect PS4 to sell 10-15 million more than the Xbox which over all makes a big difference especially if Xbox is behind in the US and getting destroyed sales wise elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find that doubtful. PS3 only sold less than 9 million. I'd be very surprised if the PS4 does better than that in Japan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some of these stories of future success seem to be pulling numbers out of thin air.
    Frankly its impossible to estimate, the current market has more competition and a broader product range that makes even using historical numbers a poor gauge, the PS4 and Xbox One simply don't have the market to themselves, iOS, Android, Nintendo, PC and new products like Vita Tv and Play Now will change the existing next gen console market as the typical buyer is looking at alternates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No way will it sell 10-15 in Japan. PS2 sold 20m.

If xbox wants to out perform Sony it will have to sell more in Europe and Japan, this won't happen.

However it should be happy with it sales as they are also excellent

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find that doubtful. PS3 only sold less than 9 million. I'd be very surprised if the PS4 does better than that in Japan.

It's actually almsot at 10 million and will sell another 1 or 2 over the next few years. I'm basing my guess of 10-15 million off the fact that PS4 looks like it will be a lot more popular than the PS3 which I think is the 4th highest selling home console ever, behind the Wii, PS1 and PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    It's actually almsot at 10 million and will sell another 1 or 2 over the next few years. I'm basing my guess of 10-15 million off the fact that PS4 looks like it will be a lot more popular than the PS3 which I think is the 4th highest selling home console ever, behind the Wii, PS1 and PS2.

I reckon PS4 will become the biggest selling console ever judging by early demand alone.The Wii sales however high are misleading as so many consoles were used for a month and then left gathering dust.It's all well and good selling shed loads of consoles if nobody is using them and as a result not buying games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

zerks wrote: »
    I reckon PS4 will become the biggest selling console ever judging by early demand alone.The Wii sales however high are misleading as so many consoles were used for a month and then left gathering dust.It's all well and good selling shed loads of consoles if nobody is using them and as a result not buying games.

No chance the PS4 will outsell either the Wii or the PS2. It'll do really well, and definitely better than the PS3 or Xbox 360, but predicting biggest seller ever is a bit much IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

COYVB wrote: »
    No chance the PS4 will outsell either the Wii or the PS2. It'll do really well, and definitely better than the PS3 or Xbox 360, but predicting biggest seller ever is a bit much IMO

Can't say that either. Considering more people are buying consoles each generation and the wii u won't sell a fraction of what the wii did, it's possible it could sell 100mil plus. The PS3 is at 80 or so million now, the PS4 has more momentum than it had as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

zerks wrote: »

How are they misleading? Sales are sales, it has nothing to do with what people do with them after they buy them.

It's priced a lot more reasonably than the PS3 was at launch,I think I handed over the bones of €750 for a PS3 bundle on launch day,that put a lot of parents off buying for kids at the time.
    The current sub €400 price means it's cheaper than the likes of an iphone or Samsung S4.So as a parent I'd be thinking "buy a PS4 that will stay under the tv or get junior a high end smartphone that he'd most likely lose or break,only one winner there".

How are they misleading? Sales are sales, it has nothing to do with what people do with them after they buy them.

What I meant was a vast amount of them are glorified book-ends now.PS3 & Xbox owners continued to support their consoles by buying games,this is where the real money is made.Look at the WiiU,I didn't see a rush to buy that,people's mentality was "another Wii to sit unused after a month".
    We can't just judge this by raw sales figures alone but we should factor in buyers continuing habits of games purchases.How many Wii titles sales could match COD or GTAV on the big 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

@zerks I understand your point but when talking about sales figures you simply cannot disgard the wii's sales figures just because most of them are gathering dust. Fact is they sold that amount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with the Wii was that games did sell extraordinarily well on it but only Nintendo games. Third parties abandoned ship very quickly but stuff like NSMB Wii were massive sellers, it out sold COD MW2.

• Advertisement

You need to do a bit of research. By the time the PS3 stops selling it will be pretty much equal to the Wii.

PS2 - 158M
    PS1 - 104M
    Wii - 101M
    PS3 - 83M

PS3 outsold the Wii by 9M last year and will remain on sale for another 4 years at least. It is still being sold at a high price so as the years go by demand will remain high due to PS3 price cuts. The Wii sodl 2 millioin last year and is as good as dead. I'm not saying the PS3 will outsell the Wii for sure but it has every chance.

The PS4 has gotten off to a much better start then the PS3 and the future looks way brighter. I can easily see the PS4 becoming the second most sold home console ever behind the PS2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement