Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem with the Wii was that games did sell extraordinarily well on it but only Nintendo games. Third parties abandoned ship very quickly but stuff like NSMB Wii were massive sellers, it out sold COD MW2.

That';s good for nintendo though. They will still make a nice bit of money off the Wii U despite it's terrible sales because 80% of games sold are made by them.

They must have made bank with the Wii software sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I don't know enough about the market, but the recent lifting of the console sales ban in China could help the PS4 (and XBO) massively boost sales numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The WiiU needs a bigger install base first before Nintendo see any return on investment, they are losing money on each WiiU sold.

The thing about nintendo games is that they have a very long shelf life which is why you never see them discounted unless they flop. People laughed when Reggie said NSMB Wii would outsell CoD MW2 but in the long run it did.

Nintendo though are in quite a bit of trouble with the WiiU, I think the best they can hope for is as a seconary console like the Gamecube was.

The WiiU needs a bigger install base first before Nintendo see any return on investment, they are losing money on each WiiU sold.

The thing about nintendo games is that they have a very long shelf life which is why you never see them discounted unless they flop. People laughed when Reggie said NSMB Wii would outsell CoD MW2 but in the long run it did.

Nintendo though are in quite a bit of trouble with the WiiU, I think the best they can hope for is as a seconary console like the Gamecube was.

I meant over all they make money. Their software sales have made the Wii U a modest profit since launch and they will not have lost money when they dis continue it even if sales continue to bomb. If that was MS or Sony they'd have lost an insane amount of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Can't say that either. Considering more people are buying consoles each generation and the wii u won't sell a fraction of what the wii did, it's possible it could sell 100mil plus. The PS3 is at 80 or so million now, the PS4 has more momentum than it had as well.

The PS2 has sold 155m... for the PS4 to be the biggest selling console of all time it needs to top that. That's highly unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I can easily see the PS3 becoming the second most sold home console ever behind the PS2.

I wouldn't doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Sponge25

Didn't realise so many were getting PS4 in comparison to Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Sponge25 wrote: »
    Didn't realise so many were getting PS4 in comparison to Xbox One.

Ireland has always been mostly PS country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I severely doubt the PS3 will get near the lifetime sales of the DS which are just behind the PS2.

All my friends/most people from Bray had Xbox 360.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    The PS2 has sold 155m... for the PS4 to be the biggest selling console of all time it needs to top that. That's highly unlikely

Nah man, Xbox 360 will beat that. It breaks 4-5 times and ya have to buy a new one.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DaLad wrote: »
    Ireland has always been mostly PS country.

In the PS1 and PS2 days yes but Xbox 360 was more popular here and in the UK than PS3.

The PS4 is just walking it this time everywhere except Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

In the PS1 and PS2 days yes but Xbox 360 was more popular here and in the UK than PS3.

The PS4 is just walking it this time everywhere except Australia.

Good ole Aussies :)

COYVB wrote: »
    I wouldn't doubt it

I meant to say PS4 to become the second highest selling ever behind the PS2! But on current trends the PS3 can pass the PS1 and Wii out which would bring it into 2nd for a while and then 3rd when/if the PS4 passes it out.

I severely doubt the PS3 will get near the lifetime sales of the DS which are just behind the PS2.

PS1 sold 104M and PS2 sold over 154M. There is every reason to believe the PS3 will pass the PS1 out in total sales bringing it into second place for all time home console sales. Although I'd be fairly certain the PS4 will pass the all except the PS2 out. There's 50M between the PS2 and PS1 ao you don't need to get near the PS2 to become the second most sold ever if you get me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pretty incredible Xbox One numbers being sold in the US, according to the NPD numbers. At just under a million Xbox Ones sold in December, it's clear that both consoles are doing very well indeed, far more so than I would have thought that either would do pre-launch.

Polygon the article on the numbers here.

The numbers next Christmas will be far more telling I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's good, The 360 selling 643k is also nuts

Not looking good for Nintendo despite the 3DS being the best seller for December
    Nintendo expects an operating loss of 35 billion yen ($335 million) for the year ending March 31, 2014, down from the projected operating income of 100 billion yen, according to its full-year financial and dividend forecasts report.

Posting its second consecutive annual operating loss in April, Nintendo projected net sales of 920 billion yen and profit forecast of 55 billion yen for the current financial year. The software and hardware manufacturer now forecasts 590 billion yen in sales and a net loss of 25 billion yen ($239 million).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

Accepted by who? How are they superior? I'm pretty sure they're just more popular, which is not an indication of superiority in my view.

Every person I know, bar none, have these problems with their older 360 controllers. Most don't notice the "dead zones" as they play on a lower sensitivity so the small, subtle motions aren't needed. I've yet to use a PS3 pad with the same problems, but my sample size is not nearly as large as the majority of my friends have the 360.

I think it went a long way to influencing people to buying the 360. Sony slashed the price and sales went up. I'm not saying it was the sole reason, but I think it was a significant one.

Well for one the 360 works great with all type of games. Sports games and shooters on the PS3 never played as well because of the controller. It was only really good for games like God of War.

All my mates were 360 owners bar one and we never had probs with the controllers so I've never really experienced those issues.

You're right price will always be a factor but I really don't think for proper gamers it dictates which consoles they buy. For example I bought xbox when it was cheaper than PS last time and now i've bought xbox again but its far more expensive.

To be fair I think a lot of the controller debate is down to the type of games you predominantly will play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the Xbox One's success in the US was more or less guaranteed from the outset, or at least it was never going to be a major flop. Many of the console's non-gaming features are exclusive to America. Microsoft has focused on the AAA games that traditionally sell best in the country. Honestly, outside of something like the Wonderswan, I can't recall a console that has seemingly been tailor-designed for a single territory. The PS4 should still give it a run for its money in many respects, but the Xbox brand alone is an extremely powerful one in the States, more so than it is here when I'd tend to say you'd have a lot more format agnostics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think the Xbox One's success in the US was more or less guaranteed from the outset, or at least it was never going to be a major flop. Many of the console's non-gaming features are exclusive to America. Microsoft has focused on the AAA games that traditionally sell best in the country. Honestly, outside of something like the Wonderswan, I can't recall a console that has seemingly been tailor-designed for a single territory. The PS4 should still give it a run for its money in many respects, but the Xbox brand alone is an extremely powerful one in the States, more so than it is here when I'd tend to say you'd have a lot more format agnostics.

Yes, it was always going to do better in the states than anywhere else, but even so, I still expected the PS4 to be on top, regardless of supply constraints.

It does seem that my fear that the PS4 would run away with this generation, and the Xbox One would whither and die from lack of dev support, is not going to come to pass. Early days yet though...

As to more platform agnostics in Europe, I'm not sure that's totally true, I always got the feeling that Europe was predominately a Playstation region.

Really poor showing from Nintendo, at least with regards to the WiiU. Seems like it needs a massive price cut and a slew of new games for it, but I still can't see any third parties heavily investing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Saw the two (XBOX One and PS4) on demo beside each other in Smiths - and although from both the demos - Im struggling to see what exactly extra you get over the existing Xbox and PS3 - the single XBOX racing game you get to play is kinda poor and slow compared to the PS4 games on demo.

Was considering an XBox One - but ....
    Microsoft really could do getting as good as demo kiosk setup as they had for the XBox360 when it launched.

Also - anyone know if Online PS4 continue to be free like PS3 and XBox paid? And will the XBox work without the Kinetix (which I dont want)? ta.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Also - anyone know if Online PS4 continue to be free like PS3 and XBox paid? And will the XBox work without the Kinetix (which I dont want)? ta.

PS plus is now required for gaming online, but not for things like netflix, etc.

Xbox live is still required for gaming online, and for things like netflix, etc.

The Xbox will work without the Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

CatInABox wrote: »
    PS plus is now required for gaming online, but not for things like netflix, etc.

ah - thats a pity

- still continued netflix is a plus.

- I was very surprised to see XBox were trying to charge me, quite a bit, for watching Netflix - My account is with Netflix why would I need pay XBox as well? - likely not even touching their servers...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,534 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

PS plus is great for the PS3 , but not a whole lot of content yet for the PS4. Still worth the €15 for 3 months though. the free game for this month on PS4 is 'don't starve'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

2smiggy wrote: »
    PS plus is great for the PS3 , but not a whole lot of content yet for the PS4. Still worth the €15 for 3 months though. the free game for this month on PS4 is 'don't starve'.

And next month is Outlast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, it was always going to do better in the states than anywhere else, but even so, I still expected the PS4 to be on top, regardless of supply constraints.

Ps4 has still sold more units in the US than the Xbox One.

2smiggy wrote: »

Yes, I forgot to mention that the PS plus service comes with something called "Instant Game Collection", which on the PS3 at least, has been absolutely incredible. Recent top games are totally free so long as you keep your subscription.

As an Xbox owner, this makes me incredibly jealous, as the comparable service on Xbox is poor, to say the least.

Not sure if the service will be as good on the PS4 as on the PS3, I think Sony used it to "catch up" with Microsoft, and now that they are in the lead, I'm not sure if they'll keep it as immensely good as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nintendo need to do the smart thing and release their titles on the new consoles and PC's

Ps4 has still sold more units in the US than the Xbox One.

True, but I was talking about monthly sales, not about overall. Sorry for the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

RasTa wrote: »
    Nintendo need to do the smart thing and release their titles on the new consoles and PC's

I hope that day never comes tbh, I think the games industry as a whole needs Nintendo - I know the Wii U has not done as well as they would have wanted, but I wouldn't write them off just yet, the 3DS is doing amazingly well as it stands....

I had some craic playing Super Mario 3D World over the Xmas on my nephews Wii U - I don't think any game all year had me beaming a giant smile like a loon and seemed a hugely engaging a game for the 3 hours straight as I played it, not even anything on my PS4 has come close, maybe it's nostalgia I crave when I play a Nintendo machine, we have a 3DS at home and I'm yet to even have a go of it yet and its sitting beside me.... :/

I think it would be wrong and I would feel dirty if I was able to fire up Zelda on my PS4/PC.... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement