Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

rinaric15 wrote: »
    PS4 is definitely the gaming console for gamers this gen, like the 360 was last gen. It will have the best quality games from third-parties, and will also have many amazing first-party games that stretch the consoles power out the the max. And unlike the Xbox One, which has adopted a 'Jack of all trades, master of none' mentality, the PS4 is clearly dedicated to games/gaming and things will only get better as time goes on.

Another speculation post. The PS4 will have this and that while X1 owners can stick to talking to their kinect. Both consoles will have great exclusives, end of.

How exactly was the 360 the gaming console for gamers last gen? It was full of bellends playing COD & FIFA while the PS3 gave us Journey and TLOU (best game I have ever played after A Link to the Past).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

rinaric15 wrote: »
    PS4 is definitely the gaming console for gamers this gen, like the 360 was last gen. It will have the best quality games from third-parties, and will also have many amazing first-party games that stretch the consoles power out the the max. And unlike the Xbox One, which has adopted a 'Jack of all trades, master of none' mentality, the PS4 is clearly dedicated to games/gaming and things will only get better as time goes on.

Good point. A few games on PS4 perform better than their Xbox One counter part. Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Ghosts come to mind.

Another speculation post. The PS4 will have this and that while X1 owners can stick to talking to their kinect. Both consoles will have great exclusives, end of.

How exactly was the 360 the gaming console for gamers last gen? It was full of bellends playing COD & FIFA while the PS3 gave us Journey and TLOU (best game I have ever played after A Link to the Past).

While that is true and the "bellends" should never been allowed near the internet in the first place by their parents, both consoles had many more gems than what you've mentioned! Personally I preferred the PS3's gems but many of my friends had great fun with the less mainstream 360 games.

I've matured a bit in the last 6/7 years and wouldn't go near COD/Halo online anymore. Fifa I would but not online. It's some craic if you have a load of mates over!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    While that is true and the "bellends" should never been allowed near the internet in the first place by their parents, both consoles had many more gems than what you've mentioned! Personally I preferred the PS3's gems but many of my friends had great fun with the less mainstream 360 games.

I've matured a bit in the last 6/7 years and wouldn't go near COD/Halo online anymore. Fifa I would but not online. It's some craic if you have a load of mates over!

I sold FIFA because of the idiots online. Me and the brother used to host Pro Evo tournies on the PS2 in the local pub and it was great craic. No idiots and beer on tap :) Those were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What console games aren't there idiots online?

Street Fighter 4 would be one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

RasTa wrote: »
    What console games aren't there idiots online?

Street Fighter 4 would be one

There is only one online game that doesn't have mainly idiots. That is Eve Online, unfortunately it's PC only but whoa what a game. A bit all consuming though, you can get sucked in for days on end. Average player age is 25 hence the lack of goons on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jbdub wrote: »
    There is only one online game that doesn't have mainly idiots. That is Eve Online, unfortunately it's PC only but whoa what a game. A bit all consuming though, you can get sucked in for days on end. Average player age is 25 hence the lack of goons on it.

I would call eve online a very good online community, but it does not mean its friendly like my little pony. Its a game where piracy and scamming of other players is part of the game and is legal. :).

I heard arma series always had great community.

Interesting watch on how consoles did.

Looks like the old gen was not doing as great as was expected and next gen did a lot better then expected.

Good few ideas around too. Like "Applefied" generation, which means that people just got used to buy new Tech, just because its new Tech. They dont even matter what will they play on it, its just a new tech to own. Apple got this baby down perfectly with their products and raised such generation.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/93qcsf/bonus-round-who-won-the-holidays-

http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/people-still-lining-buy-playstation-4s-best-buy-two-months-launch/

People still queueing up for PS4's in the US 2 months after launch. It's amazing they can't keep up with supply even after the most successful video game launch ever in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/people-still-lining-buy-playstation-4s-best-buy-two-months-launch/

People still queueing up for PS4's in the US 2 months after launch. It's amazing they can't keep up with supply even after the most successful video game launch ever in the US.

I know it really is bad form from them. Surely they should have known the huge demand for it. Typical product launch though, they aren't the only ones who keep supply low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I know it really is bad form from them. Surely they should have known the huge demand for it. Typical product launch though, they aren't the only ones who keep supply low.

It's just not smart to set up factories to make millions and millions of PS4s because a few months after launch demand will drop and they're left with too many PS4s taking up inventory and expensive factories that cost so much to set up in the first place have to be shut down.

That'd cost them more in the long run. They're making enough as is financially viable in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

They may have been cautious after the PS3 launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure how you could cay that about them. They've had more consoles available at launch than at any other console launch.

Bit of a catch 22 for them. If the PS4 didn't turn out to be a massive success they'd be in a mess with all the extra factories. Rumours have it they can produce up to 1.4 million a month from now on as it stands. That would be about 15 million a year? I'd see them selling over 120 million if they can keep it up, but who knows demand go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's a marketing strategy made popular by Apple. Under supplying demand. It leads to greater sales. As consumers we attribute great value to products that are in short supply/sold out. It helps validate our decision to buy because the product is flying off the shelves.

Microsoft couldn't afford to take this approach, they had to ensure there was enough consoles made to meet the demand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a marketing strategy made popular by Apple. Under supplying demand. It leads to greater sales. As consumers we attribute great value to products that are in short supply/sold out. It helps validate our decision to buy because the product is flying off the shelves.

Microsoft couldn't afford to take this approach, they had to ensure there was enough consoles made to meet the demand.

It's not really a marketing strategy. It all comes out of how products are manufactured, and the legal contracts surrounding them. As Pachter has pointed out, the minimum contract lengths for manufacturing are 12 months, with Sony producing 1.4 million PS4s a month.

Sony has probably forecasted that they will sell the guts of 16 million PS4s in a year, so for them, there is no point signing contracts that will result in them over producing for the year, as that leads to a different, more expensive kind of stock issue for them.

Same with Microsoft, they produce as much as they think they'll move over a year. In their case, they knew that demand wasn't as high for their console, so they signed 12 month contracts, producing 1 million Xbox Ones a month.

Another thing to note is that the PS4 is available in far more territories, reducing supply in most of them.

No company ever really chooses to limit supply, but they do work the supply chain so that they get the most financial benefit from it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    No company ever really chooses to limit supply, but they do work the supply chain so that they get the most financial benefit from it.
    Kind of the same thing. Limit, not completely halt it. Some companies choose to keep the demand high. It works incredibly well and is a strategy used by one of the most profitable companies in the world. Apple.

It was initially used out of concern caused by the disastrous overproduction of the Apple 2 computer. Apple being very cautious limited their production of future devices and would literally go country by country and make very conservative estimates for factory production. They noted that when they under supplied any region that the demand remained high which lead to more units being sold in the long run in those regions. Its a mixture of Marketing, manufacturing and consumer physiologically.

On a consumer level we read people posting here "Look at all the Xbox Ones on the shelf, they aren't selling" and then you read "not 1 PS4 to be found, its selling that well" used as an point to suggest that the PS4 is the better console.

Its not about being 100% restrictive, its like you said, they work the supply chain so that they get the most financial benefit from it.

Back on topic, I think Sony and Microsoft are doing incredibly well. I'll be interested to see how Q2 sales will turn out for them. I'd be worried for Nintendo. I could see them following in Sega's foot steps and licencing out their games. Nintendo is the 1 company everyone loves so I hope they can generate good sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

More PR trouble for MS as well as another reason to avoid Machinima.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

Long story short, MS paying for positive videos and probably acting illegally by requiring the youtubers to keep the payment secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Varik wrote: »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

Long story short, MS paying for positive videos and probably acting illegally by requiring the youtubers to keep the payment secret.

TBH I don't think anyone would fault MS or the content creators for availing of this deal as they both benefit, either in advertising (MS) or money (youtuber). But the deceit in not disclosing that this is what is going on up front is utterly wrong.

Also, while I think this should be discussed, I'm not sure it should be in this thread. Perhaps an Ethics in Game Marketing thread is in order or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Otacon wrote: »
    TBH I don't think anyone would fault MS or the content creators for availing of this deal as they both benefit, either in advertising (MS) or money (youtuber). But the deceit in not disclosing that this is what is going on up front is utterly wrong.

Also, while I think this should be discussed, I'm not sure it should be in this thread. Perhaps an Ethics in Game Marketing thread is in order or something?

While in the US they might have got away with this it is illegal in Europe so there is going to be some back-pedalling done in the near future.

This is not surprising, and possibly the tip of the iceberg. Another major gaming forum ,not naming anyone, also recently had a major purge of a recent influx of Astroturfers. Some major news sites now reporting on this so expect this to backfire spectacularly on Microsoft.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »

I am in shock, OMG, lol

This is business as usual in the gaming industry. No surprises there. Every company does this. They sponsor uploaders to use their products and give positive reviews.

Uploaders also sign non disclosure agreements regarding the payments they recieve from companies.

And in other news, its announced that alcohol does infact lead to intoxication.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I have to say I really don't like that tactic.

Giving endorsements or product placement, fine but this is just your average joe saying only positive things to make some more money.

The worst thing is the gaming community. All I ever see is people giving **** about reviews from websites being paid for etc and that the "Youtubers" are the ones you can trust now. Then you see people signing these kind of contracts.

This is a ****ty move imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Do not like. At all.

When any company does this.

Scum, sub-human scum.

I am in shock, OMG, lol

This is business as usual in the gaming industry. No surprises there. Every company does this. They sponsor uploaders to use their products and give positive reviews.

Uploaders also sign non disclosure agreements regarding the payments they recieve from companies.

Shock or not for you, but it is scummy thing to do. And there is no excuse for this.
    Youtubers were always looked at as neutral party and most honest when it comes to reviews and opinions ( most of all the media out there, but it does not exclude scumbags too). With this move Ms Just buying themselves good reviews from people who are most trusted these days.
    I am all up for Youtubers being payed, but this is not the way I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Nothing's really changed for me. Never really trusted reviewers before this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Regardless of whether "most do it", "everyone knows they do it", "it's not a huge shock" etc, it's extremely bad publicity for them, and more damning for those Youtubers who accepted it.

MS really are going from bad publicity to bad publicity.

I don't really care but it is illegal in Europe anyway, guessing the states too.

They are only giving away 4k or something to as I heard it's capped at just over 1m views.

It is hilarious that it's leaked and so soon into it's shelf life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

While Youtubers are probably more honest and haven't got a hidden agenda or up to now any undisclosed payments like some professional games critics, they are probably more easily led by publishers.
    I am in shock, OMG, lol

Perhaps in terms of the amount, but for endorsements they legally have to say that they're sponsored by or received the product free from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

While I dislike this sort of thing intensely, I do have to say that there is currently no proof that Microsoft knew anything about this.

So far, all of the evidence shows that Machinima is running this promo, but there's nothing to suggest that Microsoft knew or authorised it. Could simply be a case of Microsoft giving Machinima money for a marketing campaign and Machinima running with whatever they came up with.

Still bad form from whichever company, but I will prefer to wait until more comes out about this story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement