Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Varik wrote: »
    While Youtubers are probably more honest and haven't got a hidden agenda or up to now any undisclosed payments like some professional games critics, they are probably more easily led by publishers.

This isn't really the thread for it but I genuinely do not understand the conspiracy theory regarding games journalists receiving payments. Has it happened? Probably but no where near the scale which some people like to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How the hell did L.A Noire get such high reviews across the board, is what I wanna know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CatInABox wrote: »
    While I dislike this sort of thing intensely, I do have to say that there is currently no proof that Microsoft knew anything about this.

So far, all of the evidence shows that Machinima is running this promo, but there's nothing to suggest that Microsoft knew or authorised it. Could simply be a case of Microsoft giving Machinima money for a marketing campaign and Machinima running with whatever they came up with.

Still bad form from whichever company, but I will prefer to wait until more comes out about this story.
    Dude, are you for real? I know people will defend stuff they like, but there are some limits.

Ms knew everything, there are contracts in place, deals etc. Do you really think such company like MS. Will be so naive and let machinima do it like they want it?There is no way that MS is a soft poor flufy kitten in all this.

I am pretty sure Sony might have done something very similar, it's just they did not got caught yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dude, are you for real? I know people will defend stuff they like, but there are some limits.

Ms knew everything, there are contracts in place, deals etc. Do you really think such company like MS. Will be so naive and let machinima do it like they want it?There is no way that MS is a soft poor flufy kitten in all this.

I am pretty sure Sony might have done something very similar, it's just they did not got caught yet.

Microsoft were so naive to think that people would actually buy into their vision of an always online console, so yes, they realistically could draw up a contract with machinima that says "We give you a budget of X amount, use social media to promote the Xbox One", not knowing that Machinima would use it in the way that they did.

I'm not the only one who thinks that not enough is known about this, the author of that article has a defense on it here. As the others point out, not enough is known about it.

You can certainly make a leap, but I prefer to have more proof before I do. All I am doing is holding off on judgement before I have most of the facts.

Microsoft were so naive to think that people would actually buy into their vision of an always online console, so yes, they realistically could draw up a contract with machinima that says "We give you a budget of X amount, use social media to promote the Xbox One", not knowing that Machinima would use it in the way that they did.

I'm not the only one who thinks that not enough is known about this, the author of that article has a defense on it here. As the others point out, not enough is known about it.

You can certainly make a leap, but I prefer to have more proof before I do. All I am doing is holding off on judgement before I have most of the facts.

Its not uncommon Practice. I am not surprised someone like MS tried to pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Its not uncommon Practice. I am not surprised someone like MS tried to pull it off.

Indeed, I have been looking around and into this, it does seem to be pretty prevalent. The guy who put up the Machinima contract for the Xbox One has said that he has seen similar promotions for PAX and E3.

I had thought that Microsoft (or any company that needs coverage for a product) would just hand money to a company that promised to use social media to promote the product (i.e. Machinima, a marketing company), and while that may be the case, from what Boogie was saying, he has dealt specifically with the provider themselves.

I've never trusted any of the youtube celebrities anyway, and only trust websites with a code of conduct/ethics published online, so this hasn't really been a massive shock to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ya these sort of content exposure contracts seem to be happening a lot on youtube lately, but this is a new beast with MS/Machinima and its "Influencers"(Yes a term coined in the contract). This contract has gone further and stepped into Illegal territory by stipulating that no mention must be made of Machinimana or Microsoft's involvement in the video, while stipulating that no negative comments must be made about Machinima, Xbox One or the games being covered.

How high up this goes is anyone's guess atm, but it has become clear that Machinima's normal content contract has been modified to include these new stipulations with the Xbox One stuff. This had to be signed off somewhere.

From reading comments from popular youtube content makers, they are non too impressed. One of the people who was involved in this new contract and a regular of Machinima was defending it this morning appears to not have been aware of these new stipulations and has rescinded his defence of it.

To be quiet honest I think this was a mere test the waters promotion to see what they could get away with as the regular contract seemed to be kept separate so the creator could upload and not benefit financially from the new promotion. It is now been exposed by most Game Journalism sites and some mainstream news sites. It has spectacularly backfired on all concerned.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Ya these sort of content exposure contracts seem to be happening a lot on youtube lately, but this is a new beast with MS/Machinima and its "Influencers"(Yes a term coined in the contract). This contract has gone further and stepped into Illegal territory by stipulating that no mention must be made of Machinimana or Microsoft's involvement in the video, while stipulating that no negative comments must be made about Machinima, Xbox One or the games being covered.

How high up this goes is anyone's guess atm, but it has become clear that Machinima's normal content contract has been modified to include these new stipulations with the Xbox One stuff. This had to be signed off somewhere.

From reading comments from popular youtube content makers, they are non too impressed. One of the people who was involved in this new contract and a regular of Machinima was defending it this morning appears to not have been aware of these new stipulations and has rescinded his defence of it.

To be quiet honest I think this was a mere test the waters promotion to see what they could get away with as the regular contract seemed to be kept separate so the creator could upload and not benefit financially from the new promotion. It is now been exposed by most Game Journalism sites and some mainstream news sites. It has spectacularly backfired on all concerned.

Yeah, just finished reading where it said that the old contracts required the person to disclose that he was getting paid. Not looking good.

As an aside, someone also mentioned this promotion from years and years ago, and while I'm not bringing it up to compare to this situation, I just wanted to remind people of how bad this was:

Sorry. REALLY REALLY SORRY.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ha that is brutal! I hope everyone involved got slated for it! Even if they put in "This is a paid advertisement" at the start they might have got away with it but in fairness it is just bad! That one kinda brings in to the spotlight these viral marketing campaigns or those ridiculous films you see that are prepended with "Based on actual events".

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Ha that is brutal! I hope everyone involved got slated for it! Even if they put in "This is a paid advertisement" at the start they might have got away with it but in fairness it is just bad! That one kinda brings in to the spotlight these viral marketing campaigns or those ridiculous films you see that are prepended with "Based on actual events".

Oh, they got torn to shreds over it, and rightly so. It's all in the past nowadays, but it does go to show how desperate companies can get while they are under the cosh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I am in shock, OMG, lol

This is business as usual in the gaming industry. No surprises there. Every company does this. They sponsor uploaders to use their products and give positive reviews.

Uploaders also sign non disclosure agreements regarding the payments they recieve from companies.

And in other news, its announced that alcohol does infact lead to intoxication.
    Evidence?

This is bad form. You often watch youtube videos to get an honest opinion about something. This is just underhanded and deceitful, not to mention quite desperate.

So that article got updated with a quote from Machinima:
    Machinima wrote:
    This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion.

Reads to me like Microsoft contracted Machinima to promote the Xbox One without knowing how exactly they were going to do it.

It doesn't really bother me about who knows what.

I absolutely do not like it. I haven't been on Machinima and I've no intention of going near it.

I'll stick with podcasts and reviews/previews that I trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Varik wrote: »
    While Youtubers are probably more honest and haven't got a hidden agenda or up to now any undisclosed payments like some professional games critics, they are probably more easily led by publishers.

Doesn't happen

I do have one story of getting quite an ear-bashing from one company's third-party representative (not the company itself, they're very pleasant to deal with), because one of the games they had advertised in one of our publications hadn't scored as high as they would have liked. There was talk of not spending again because of it. They piped down quick enough when it was suggested we ask the game publisher themselves what they thought of such behaviour, and the problem never arose again

For this thing though, I don't think the problem is Microsoft. The problem here is the people who make disingenuous videos for the money being offered. If you're a MS fan and a YouTuber, why not get extra money for making the same video you were going to anyway? That's fine in my book. It's a thank you to them for their support. What's not okay is making positive videos spouting an opinion they wouldn't otherwise have held purely for a few quid

Further info from Microsoft this time
    Microsoft wrote:
    Microsoft was not aware of individual contracts Machinima had with their content providers as part of this promotion and we didn't provide feedback on any of the videos," a spokesperson said via email. "We have asked Machinima to not post any additional Xbox One content as part of this media buy and we have asked them to add disclaimers to the videos that were part of this program indicating they were part of paid advertising.

From Polygon here.

Further info from Microsoft this time

From Polygon here.

With already patchy PR, I doubt MS will admit it. MS. Holds us for fools or they are very naive by trying to fix the damage like this.

Some **** excuse too: "Oh, we payed money and we did not checked what we paying for. It's not our fault! It's theirs!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I REALLLLLLY like the look of this and the potential it carries!

Kingdom Come: Deliverance unveiled - open world medieval sword fighter for Xbox One

Has the Kickstarter thing every worked for a game? I can see how it could, and I like the idea, but I'm just curious if it's been successful yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Grayditch wrote: »
    Has the Kickstarter thing every worked for a game? I can see how it could, and I like the idea, but I'm just curious if it's been successful yet.

Here's a list of the successful Kickstarter candidates:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded?ref=footer
    A few games in there alright.

I really want this game to become a reality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

DaLad wrote: »
    Here's a list of the successful Kickstarter candidates:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded?ref=footer
    A few games in there alright.

I really want this game to become a reality :D

wow looks good from that video
    really hope it makes it :D always loved medieval games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Going back to the thread title, Ill have a Wii-U. And I am being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

LOL!.....two months later you can still buy day one editions in the UK.....now if that fact dosent tell you something then........

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/22/xbox-one-day-one-edition-still-available-at-british-retailer/

It tells us that...
    most probable answer is that the brick and mortar stores belonging to the retailer (probably those located in smaller towns where demand is lower) have possibly just sent back units that were left unsold during the console’s launch, and now Game is selling them to the wider online audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

It tells us that...

No....it tells us the console is a failure, the fact you can find day ones means the PS4 is *the* choice for gamers!

The xbox is a media box that dosent play any media.....LOL!

kid-dog-hair.jpg

kid-dog-hair.jpg

Not even ten o'clock and you've made my day.

jenjenten wrote: »
    No....it tells us the console is a failure, the fact you can find day ones means the PS4 is *the* choice for gamers!

Could you drop this ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

jenjenten wrote: »

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

One little ickle thing that annoyed me the other day. The Xbox won't play movies from a USB stick :mad:

I had to go get another system, fiddle around with hdmi cables and power leads then play it through that because the tv in the sitting room doesnt have a USB input. For a console thats calling itself an all in one media hub, that was pretty lame.

First world problem perhaps :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement