Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

If you think the PS2 sold solely on hype, you're mistaken and maybe even completely deluding yourself. It is a strong candidate for the best games console of them all, featuring a pretty much peerless back catalogue of inventive, imaginative and in many cases timeless classics. There are many games on there - Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Persona 4, MGS 3, We Love Katamari - that I value than the entirety of the original Xbox catalogue combined. I'm not even exaggerating there, the PS2 was something of a golden age for gaming unto itself, offering the kind of brave mid to big budget experiments that have all since disappeared.

Raw power doesn't make a console, it never has. It's the games that appear on it. That's why the must own console of the moment is the least powerful - the humble 3DS, with a heady stream of inspired titles from first and third party developers alike.

On the catalog of games alone I agree PS2 was unbeatable.
    What I am saying was when a game appeared on one 3 consoles that generation Xbox Gamecube and PS2 the PS2 always got the worst version.

We all know the the Gamecube did not have many great games and the Xbox had a lot less titles then the PS2.
    Fifa games for example rand like silk on the original Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

News broke that Microsoft have up to 900,000 Xbox One's sitting on retail shelves. They released a statement trying to twist it but all they did was basically confirm that when they announced their sales they meant sold to retailers and not consumers. Bad news if true and they would want Titanfall to do very well or else they'll be in a spot of bother.

I wonder will the PS4 sell much in Japan? I Googled it and the PS2 sold around 600,000 on release day and the PS3 sold around 100,000. The PS1 might have sold around 300k but I'm really not sure about that.

I'd guess the PS4 will sell around 400k on launch considering you have to queue up just to receive a pre order which sell out every time they are made available almost instantly. Could be higher and could be less plus they might not be able to meet the launch demand.

Anyone want to give their predictions for the launch? This might be a bit of fun and see if anyone can hit the nail on the head. It releases in a month if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't compare the PS2/PS3 days to the current Japanese market, without any big game I'd say 200-300K.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the japanese pub;ic will be quite disinterested in the PS4 with handheld taking over and no real games to appeal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say the japanese pub;ic will be quite disinterested in the PS4 with handheld taking over and no real games to appeal to them.

At the start they said the delay was until they've a good line up for Japan, home console games do still sell but it's usually a single game every now and again and when it does happen the #1 tends to outsell the rest of the top 20 games combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Microsoft are currently cleaning up $.
    Yesterday, the company announced revenue of $24.52 billion for the quarter ending December 31, 2013. Gross margin, operating income, net income, and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $16.24 billion, $7.97 billion, $6.56 billion, and $0.78 per share, respectively.

Plenty of money there to secure great exclusives and invest in gaming studios :D

The amazing Xbox one sales and the Surface tablet sales played a huge part of this revenue increase.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2014/01/24/microsofts-tablet-strategy-pays-off/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Plenty of money there to secure great exclusives and invest in gaming studios :D

The amazing Xbox one sales and the Surface tablet sales played a huge part of this revenue increase.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2014/01/24/microsofts-tablet-strategy-pays-off/

That article makes no reference at all to Xbox One having effect on revenue, positive or negative. It also doesn't mention sales of the Xbox One, amazing or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

That article makes no reference at all to Xbox One having effect on revenue, positive or negative. It also doesn't mention sales of the Xbox One, amazing or otherwise.

I think he meant that basicly 3mill xbox ones sold
    mutiply by 500
    has to have some sort of positive/negative effect on the revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    mutiply by 500

Yep the Xbox is definitely going to have an impact on Microsoft profits, but we don't know whether that effect is positive or negative and that article is worse than useless in context of Xbox sales performance. Doubt the Xbox is even close to break even yet but I have no idea and Forbes isn't helping. Surface sales? Well that's a whole different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Yep the Xbox is definitely going to have an impact on Microsoft profits, but we don't know whether that effect is positive or negative and that article is worse than useless in context of Xbox sales performance. Doubt the Xbox is even close to break even yet but I have no idea and Forbes isn't helping. Surface sales? Well that's a whole different ball game.

can't imagin either console breaking even yet at this early stage of the game
    didn't bother reading the article to be far, but I don't think any profits made from surface tablets would go into exclusive games, would probably go into making a newer surface table next year

for example

the iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6s etc whole things a sham really and yet people still buy them even though the following year their will be a "better" one out which their is very little noticeable change
    its like a new COD game being released every year ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

can't imagin either console breaking even yet at this early stage of the game
    didn't bother reading the article to be far, but I don't think any profits made from surface tablets would go into exclusive games, would probably go into making a newer surface table next year

for example

the iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6s etc whole things a sham really and yet people still buy them even though the following year their will be a "better" one out which their is very little noticeable change
    its like a new COD game being released every year ha

Welcome to the world of electronics. All tech manufactures have the same strategy, from Apple and Samsung to LG and Google. They're not aimed at people who've bought last years model, they're aimed at those who bought the year before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

mutiply by 500

Multiply by the Billion they have spent on games
    Microsoft Game Studios VP Phil Spencer estimates the company is investing approximately $1 billion dollars on games. That includes first party titles, exclusive content, and timed exclusives. Microsoft's President of Interactive Entertainment, Don Mattrick, also had a few words on the subject.

"We just ran through our script and counted the number of exclusives, and looked at the amount of money that we're spending and the deals that we have, exclusive windows and [things to create differentiation]. I think, candidly, people are way, way under-indexing how hard we're punching."

Then carry over the money spent on designing the control pad, advertising etc
    "I don't want to go into specifics," Xbox GM for accessories Zulfi Alam told the site, "but it's over $100 million for sure. Between the tooling of the device, the investments we made in process technology, and the engineering work that went into it, we invested a lot to get this thing right."

I can guarantee that it's not making a profit yet, probably same for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

In other news, Xbox one sales are 45% lower than PS4 sales :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

In other news, Xbox one sales are 45% lower than PS4 sales :D

Even if you are a Sony fanboy, those figures are not something to gloat over. Competition is good for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

So far the xbo has been a massive waste of time for me. Playing 6th fiddle behind the ps4, ps3, wii u, 3ds and vita with no sign off things changing any time soon. Hopefully things will improve in the near future as I'm not enamored with the thought a $500 box going unused under my tv

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Even if you are a Sony fanboy, those figures are not something to gloat over. Competition is good for everyone!

Did I say otherwise?

I was merely pointing out that his beloved console is lagging well behind in sales so his hypothesis that they'll secure great exclusives is a rather naive and erroneous one.

This is going to be a long 7 year+ console generation.

We are currently about only 2 months into this generation. The sales for both consoles are amazing. The Xbox One sales thou are much more impressive given the massive hate campaign and **** Microsoft PR that is present.

Sony's net income in 2013 was 458 million.
    Microsoft's net income for 2013 was 21.86 billion.

Microsoft have serious money to buy console exclusives such as Titanfall. If Xbox One keeps securing great exclusives the number of XB1 owners will increase. Xbox One is only out in 13 territories at present, the PS4 is out in 48.

Sony are doing great, but if they let their foot off the gas for a moment they'll be overtaken. So far the Xbox One has the better launch titles IMO.

I am happy to have the underdog console this generation. This competition between consoles is going to work great for owners in both console camps.

Did I say otherwise?

I was merely pointing out that his beloved console is lagging well behind in sales so his hypothesis that they'll secure great exclusives is a rather naive and erroneous one.

Why be a Sony fanboy?

You do realise it was Microsoft who were the first to put a Hard Drive into a console and introduce online console gaming via broadband?

Were you still defending the PS3 when it was releasing Multi-platform games with lower frame rates and lower res then the 360 version?

We are currently about only 2 months into this generation. The sales for both consoles are amazing. The Xbox One sales thou are much more impressive given the massive hate campaign and **** Microsoft PR that is present.

Microsoft have serious money to buy console exclusives such as Titanfall. If Xbox One keeps securing great exclusives the number of XB1 owners will increase. Xbox One is only out in 13 territories at present, the PS4 is out in 48.

Sony are doing great, but if they let their foot off the gas for a moment they'll be overtaken. So far the Xbox One has the better launch titles IMO.

I am happy to have the underdog console this generation. This competition between consoles is going to work great for owners in both console camps.

I have switched from Xbox One to PS4 and Killzone it a great title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Why be a Sony fanboy?

You do realise it was Microsoft who were the first to put a Hard Drive into a console and introduce online console gaming via broadband?

Were you still defending the PS3 when it was releasing Multi-platform games with lower frame rates and lower res then the 360 version?

Man runs into fire to save Xbox game system
    If your house was on fire, what would you grab as you ran out the door?

A Kansas man woke up early Friday morning to find his house engulfed in flames.

He ran out the door empty-handed, but then went back in to grab his Xbox!

Fire officials say the man suffered smoke inhalation as he rescued the gaming system from the flames.

Paramedics checked him out and said he was okay.

The answer to your question, as well as the answer to "Why be a ___ fanboy?", is best illustrated by the above.

Some people simply become stupid about the things they like.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Man runs into fire to save Xbox game system

The answer to your question, as well as the answer to "Why be a ___ fanboy?", is best illustrated by the above.

Some people simply become stupid about the things they like.

$80,000 worth of damage but at least he saved it $500 game system moron.:D

Their money didn't secure them the exclusives last generation, in fact they wasted money on timed exclusives that made their way to the PS3 anyway. They should've invested in game studios at the tim, but after the kinect their focus completely shifted and they were only interested in doing the bare minimum with Halo, Forza and Gears of War on repeat. They never pushed the boat out on the exclusive front like Sony did.

So with that in mind I'm sceptical of them even now. They bought exclusivity of Titanfall when it was going to come to the PS4 eventually anyway, so far it's just the first game that's exclusive.

Imo I think this is a short sighted strategy, they should be investing in expanding their own studios for the long run. Sony have the advantage on the exclusives and MS have a lot to catch up on and have to prove themselves.

Why be a Sony fanboy?

I'm not a Sony fanboy, I don't have a ps4, I owe them nothing. I just dislike Microsoft's restrictive and anti consumer practices.

Who cares who put the first hdd in a console? I don't care what Sony did first either.

However, I do care how they restrict though, they're the ones who made those hdds non replaceable or only replaceable on the xbox 360 via overpriced proprietary ones. Did dead rising 3 not release a mandatory 13GB patch on a non replaceable hdd with a useable capacity of only 362GB? That hdd will be full after one year never mind seven.

I want Microsoft to do well as it is common sense that competition is good for us but I don't want them to succeed if they continue with the many detestable practices they've brought to the gaming world so take off your rose tinted glasses and see the flaws of your console.

I'm not a Sony fanboy, I don't have a ps4, I owe them nothing. I just dislike Microsoft's restrictive and anti consumer practices.

Who cares who put the first hdd in a console? I don't care what Sony did first either.

However, I do care how they restrict though, they're the ones who made those hdds non replaceable or only replaceable on the xbox 360 via overpriced proprietary ones. Did dead rising 3 not release a mandatory 13GB patch on a non replaceable hdd with a useable capacity of 362GB? That hdd will be full after one year never mind seven.

I want Microsoft to do well as it is common sense that competition is good for us but I don't want them to succeed if they continue with the many detestable practices they've brought to the gaming world so take off your rose tinted glasses and see the flaws of your console.

Tbf he said he got rid of his X1 :p

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Tbf he said he got rid of his X1 :p

Yes because I will not give my loyalty to any company because I am the paying customer not a fan.

Xbox 360 and PS3 were almost the same but the 360 had the slight edge and a few years ago the Sony online system and peoples payment details were compromised.

This was a disaster for Sony and I never used a PS3 again.

A new generation and this time Microsoft has made loads of mistakes but the power gap and having games full of micro transactions has lost them my custom for now.

Apologies, this article is more fitting.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/microsoft-beats-market-expectations-9083175.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was a few Crash Bandicoot and the like the Xbox and Gamecube versions left the PS2 in the dust.

There was, in no way, a trend for Xbox and GC versions of games to be better than the PS2.

You try playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the PS2 and then have a go of the GC and Xbox versions, they latter two are awful.

The PS2 is still an essential piece of kit for any gamer, the console is cheap and great games many, every genre represented there really is something for everyone to love on that console and the other two combined don't have the library to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You realise how little that has to do with the console race right ? The xbox division obviously has budgets, if they fail there would be no reason for microsoft to keep pumping money into it.. Its kind of like you've given up trying to justify how the PS4 is doing better than the Xbox by showing how many operating system licenses microsoft sell. Bit weird.

Except its not a console exclusive... its available not only on the PC, but the 360 too.. everyone has a 360 ! Why would i buy an xbox one to play titanfall when i can just play it on my 360 or PC ? It WILL sell most of its copies on the 360 and probably sell better on PC than the xbox one. It will not be a system seller because it is not essential to own the system to play it.

They made the same mistake with the 360, constantly pumping money into games like CoD for timed exclusives and other random **** that in the long run provides nothing to the gaming community but deprive non-xbox gamers of content. Whereas Sony focused on developing new games, that would otherwise not have been developed. I don't know what was the most financially viable investment.. but its pretty damn obvious what was the best for gamers.

13 territories is correct... the 13 territories that it will sell the majority of its consoles. Countries like Qatar, Kuwait, Oman are not places that will sell a lot of consoles anyway. Its not like the PS4 is available in 48 megamarkets like the USA's...

I think for them to be overtaken, they'll have to do more than take their foot off the gas. Maybe pull over and take nap is more appropriate.. Oh... and your opinion is that Xbox one has better **** games than PS4's **** launch games (Even tho you've probably not played the PS4's launch titles) right ?

TLDR;
    Microsoft's philosophy = Deprive games and content from non xbox owners
    Sony's philosophy = Invest in studios to create games that would others not be made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

To be fair, all exclusives deprive games and content from people. It's far from a Microsoft thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

To be fair, all exclusives deprive games and content from people. It's far from a Microsoft thing
    Well, sometimes the companies have a connection to the manufacturer, or just prefer that system for whatever reason. Quantic Dream went to Sony only. Fahrenheit was multiplatform, but they decided to go Sony exclusive with Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. From what I understand, Sony showed an interest in Heavy Rain and MS didn't.

Then, Braid was a multiplat, but the next game (name escapes me) is going to be PS4 only. Namco must have gotten a money hat to release Tales of Vesperia on the 360 in the West, but they aren't getting more money so they're going with only PS4. Then, there are games that just wouldn't be released without money investment from one of the manufacturers. See Nintendo with Bayonetta 2. I'm guessing Microsoft with D4 is a similar situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement