Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The way I see it Nintendo and Sony seem to have a genuine interest in games and the industry, I won't lie, it's obviously a business and about the money, but MS only seems to be interested in the money and leaching it out. That's evident in their parady clause and ther big push for kinect and buying timed exclusives while banking on old IPs a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Magill wrote: »
    You realise how little that has to do with the console race right ? The xbox division obviously has budgets, if they fail there would be no reason for microsoft to keep pumping money into it.. Its kind of like you've given up trying to justify how the PS4 is doing better than the Xbox by showing how many operating system licenses microsoft sell. Bit weird.
    Actually, it does. The sales for Xbox One are greater than analysts predicted and both the sales of XB1 and sales of their Surface tablets contributed greatly to MS revenue.

In total Microsoft sold 7.4 million Xbox console units into the retail, including 3.9 million Xbox One consoles and 3.5 million Xbox 360 consoles in the last 12 months.
    Except its not a console exclusive... its available not only on the PC, but the 360 too.. everyone has a 360 ! Why would i buy an xbox one to play titanfall when i can just play it on my 360 or PC ? It WILL sell most of its copies on the 360 and probably sell better on PC than the xbox one. It will not be a system seller because it is not essential to own the system to play it.

Console exclusive, we all know its coming out on PC but in consoles its exclusive to the Microsoft consoles. :)
    They made the same mistake with the 360, constantly pumping money into games like CoD for timed exclusives and other random **** that in the long run provides nothing to the gaming community but deprive non-xbox gamers of content. Whereas Sony focused on developing new games, that would otherwise not have been developed. I don't know what was the most financially viable investment.. but its pretty damn obvious what was the best for gamers.

Absolutely, In the last 2 years there was an absence of unique, exclusive games from the Xbox 360 which allowed Sony to close the gap at the end of the previous console generation.
    13 territories is correct... the 13 territories that it will sell the majority of its consoles. Countries like Qatar, Kuwait, Oman are not places that will sell a lot of consoles anyway. Its not like the PS4 is available in 48 megamarkets like the USA's...
    Xbox One is launching in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Russia and Switzerland in 2014. ....Kuwait lol
    I think for them to be overtaken, they'll have to do more than take their foot off the gas. Maybe pull over and take nap is more appropriate.. Oh... and your opinion is that Xbox one has better **** games than PS4's **** launch games (Even tho you've probably not played the PS4's launch titles) right ?

Acutally, thats were you're wrong. I have played every last one. I have been to the Sony playrooms and played them all for hours. I did a post about a while back. The games are good but so far the Xbox One launch exclusives are better IMO.

It gets better....

I have committed the ultimate gaming sin by using the PS4 on my Xbox One Tv input :D

69wk.jpg

I have to hand it to Sony thou, I love the remote play feature. It works brilliantly.

qb42.jpg
    TLDR;
    Microsoft's philosophy = Deprive games and content from non xbox owners
    Sony's philosophy = Invest in studios to create games that would others not be made
    As long I get the content 1st thats okay with me. I was very impressed with Forza, Dead Rising 3 (Love it) and Ryse (very surprising how good this game is). Its clear now that MS are investing big money in getting games made and I hope at this years E3 they have something impressive to show instead of the disaster they performed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

State Of Decay MMO will be appearing at E3 this year and obviously it will be an Xbox exclusive like Titanfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"And then you go and spoil it all by playing something stupid like... Call Of Duuuty"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Best of waiting until after E3 to decide on which one is better for each person. I may end up buying a PS4 in February but purely because I like it. But The E3 immediately following next gen console launches always gives an indication of where they are heading.

It's really silly to say one console is better than the other just because it's outsold in the first couple months. Better at selling consoles yes, but better at everything else it's difficult to say. MS could blow everyone away at E3 or they could crash and burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Console exclusive, we all know its coming out on PC but in consoles its exclusive to the Microsoft consoles. :)
    You missed my point... you seem to "brag" a lot about titanfall... but like i said.. most gamers have an xbox 360 so its not like anyone is missing out on this game. Its not like UC4 or Infamous: Second son, where unless you own a PS4 you're gonna miss out.

And its not any PS4 owners without access to a PC, Xbox360 or XB1 are going to be twiddling their FPS thumbs this year... let me introduce you to a FREE game they'll be getting their hands on very soon.

Xbox One is launching in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Russia and Switzerland in 2014. ....Kuwait lol
    These are all regions that are historically dominated by Playstation, much like spain for example where there is a 4/5:1 ratio in favor of the PS. There's a reason that Microsoft choose not to launch in those countries.

And yes exactly, Kuwait... was one of the many countries that the PS4 launched in, probably selling very few consoles.. but its still one of those 48 hence why you shouldn't be expecting the XB1 to claw back many sales when they expand their market. That was my point.

Acutally, thats were you're wrong. I have played every last one. I have been to the Sony playrooms and played them all for hours. I did a post about a while back. The games are good but so far the Xbox One launch exclusives are better IMO.

Ok fair enough. I've played the main games on both consoles to.. and think they're all kind of crap. Killzone is the usual boring fps crap that consoles like to push out... ryse was like a really ****ty version of god of war... dead rising was just... stupid with quite poor performance issues... knack... yeah... it was bad. Point is, they're all very average games.. nothing to shout home about.

As long I get the content 1st thats okay with me. I was very impressed with Forza, Dead Rising 3 (Love it) and Ryse (very surprising how good this game is). Its clear now that MS are investing big money in getting games made and I hope at this years E3 they have something impressive to show instead of the disaster they performed last year.

I still haven't seen any evidence that they're investing big money in developing these new games... Besides halo has anything else been announced ?

Whereas already we know about Uncharted 4, Infamous: Second Son, Deep Down, The Order and Drive Club not to mention the "Console" exclusives like PS2, Everquest:Next, Diablo 3: RoS, Starbound etc. Im sure XB1 will get more announcements at E3.. but obviously so will the PS4. My concern is that MS made a lot of money off of their CoD "Timed Exclusive" crap that they'll continue down that route and just spend there money delaying the release of content on other consoles.

I mean... you don't gain anything if they do that.. no matter what xbox users would have gotten their DLC at the same time even if MS didn't pay Activision silly money. The only thing you got from it was knowing that PS users had to wait another month before they could play it. Wouldn't you have preferred they spent that money on a new IP ?

I cannot wait for Planetside 2. I'm much more into big battle games.

Has there been a patch for the ps4 to make the voice commands actually work or is it a hardware issue?

They worked for me whenever I tried them.

Grayditch wrote: »
    They worked for me whenever I tried them.

What are you using for them? My cousin got a ps4 without the ps version of the kinetic and the voice commands work very very rarely using his mic on the controller.

Personally when I got a good hands on with the ps4 I was delighted I opted to stick with xbox cause I thought there was nothing next gen about the ps4 apart from the remote play feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They work too well in some cases, the amount of technical fouls I have got in NBA 2k14 for cursing at the referee, but they seem to work fine for something that was just a after thought really, most people did not even know about them till a couple of weeks before launch, Sony never intended the function to be a selling point, it has not even been fully implemented yet.

The voice commands all worked for me too, they're just completely useless when a controller can do it faster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Console exclusives are where the console brands get to show off what their hardware can do.
    No middleware for these guys so forget Cryengines and Frostbite, no lowest common denominator development here.
    And so you should get the best stuff, be it Super Mario Galaxy 2, Wipeout 2097 or Halo Reach.

Wouldn't it be boring if the same games were available on all consoles, to hell with that.
    Console manufactures that are willing to try something different are what makes gaming interesting.
    Competition powers evolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

I am a xbox360 player. I am a big Halo fan, Titanfall looks epic for next gen. and I have always liked xbox live

What in real terms is the difference between both new Consoles in terms of graphics and game play? I have heard that PS4 is more powerful, but will this power difference be evident in terms of actual gameplay and graphics or are both more of less going to look the same ?
    If PS4 is actually a better console I would buy one. Will developers be able to use that extra power in real terms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If PS4 is actually a better console I would buy one. Will developers be able to use that extra power in real terms ?
    Wait until there are enough must own games on [insert system name here] that makes owning [insert system name here] a sensible proposition, and buy it then. I don't think the PS4 or One has made a strong case yet. The Wii U has some great titles now, and more on the horizon for this year. It'll be E3 before the case will really be made for PS4/One for me.

I am a xbox360 player. I am a big Halo fan, Titanfall looks epic for next gen. and I have always liked xbox live

What in real terms is the difference between both new Consoles in terms of graphics and game play? I have heard that PS4 is more powerful, but will this power difference be evident in terms of actual gameplay and graphics or are both more of less going to look the same ?

The first party games will no doubt look great. Multiplats will most likely always perform better too.

As far as differences go it's looking like PS4 will be 1080p 60fps more often than not while the X1 might not get there.

PSN is hugely improved and PS+ is something you can't miss out on.

So far looks like the PS4 is the superior machine, but factor in your preferences and where most of your mates are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think that tomb raider is the first one where the difference is pretty big. PS4 runs at 1080p x 60fps, whereas the XB1 version runs at the 1080p x 30fps... so its getting about a 100% increase in performance. Its hard to say where the XB1 can only manage 30fps or maybe it can manage a steady 40+ but they decided to cap it at 30.

I think you'll find it very hard for any multiplatform game to run better on the Xbox this generation tho. How closely it can emulate the performance of PS4 games will require a bit more time to see. The difference between 30 and 60fps is quite noticeable imo tho. Just creates a far more smooth experience.

As others have said, PS+ just wipes the floor with XBL now. You get all the voice com **** that was lacking on the PS3, but also the monthly free games are amazing, especially if you own other sony consoles (PSP/PS3).

If your a big halo fan, then i'd just do some research into the games coming out for PS4 and decide if that is enough to outweigh the lack of halo (Don't forgot to check out some of the f2p games aswel, Planetside 2 might be something you'd be interested in.. not exactly like halo, but in terms of multiplayer its got a similar setting).

ds on with the ps4 I was delighted I opted to stick with xbox cause I thought there was nothing next gen about the ps4 apart from the remote play feature.

That's not what would constitute Next Gen for me, although I do utilise remote play a lot more than I thought I would. As soon as I loaded up Killzone I knew it was a Next Gen console by the look of it and the speed of the console.

I abandoned voice features and the camera approximately ten minutes after using them, because they're not for me. I'm just into next gen games rather than features, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have been playing Farcry3 lately (backlog shame) and one of the most frustrating things is that 10-15s wait to get back into the action after I died. I know it is only 10-15s, but I am looking forward to not having to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sarumite wrote: »
    I have been playing Farcry3 lately (backlog shame) and one of the most frustrating things is that 10-15s wait to get back into the action after I died. I know it is only 10-15s, but I am looking forward to not having to wait.

kinda the same thing really but I hated how in skyrim it would load every single time I entered a door or castle
    I'm looking forward to that been gone
    hopefully with a new elder scrolls :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

I think that tomb raider is the first one where the difference is pretty big. PS4 runs at 1080p x 60fps, whereas the XB1 version runs at the 1080p x 30fps... so its getting about a 100% increase in performance. Its hard to say where the XB1 can only manage 30fps or maybe it can manage a steady 40+ but they decided to cap it at 30.

I think you'll find it very hard for any multiplatform game to run better on the Xbox this generation tho. How closely it can emulate the performance of PS4 games will require a bit more time to see. The difference between 30 and 60fps is quite noticeable imo tho. Just creates a far more smooth experience.

As others have said, PS+ just wipes the floor with XBL now. You get all the voice com **** that was lacking on the PS3, but also the monthly free games are amazing, especially if you own other sony consoles (PSP/PS3).

If your a big halo fan, then i'd just do some research into the games coming out for PS4 and decide if that is enough to outweigh the lack of halo (Don't forgot to check out some of the f2p games aswel, Planetside 2 might be something you'd be interested in.. not exactly like halo, but in terms of multiplayer its got a similar setting).

Thats interesting. When you say PS4 runs at 1080p x 60fps, whereas the XB1 version runs at the 1080p x 30fps its a marked difference
    I dont understand why MS would short change on power that would give PS an advantage. Unless MS arent as interested in appealing to serious gamers with xbox one and are aiming for a wider audience (Kinnect, TV etc)

I dont understand why MS would short change on power that would give PS an advantage.
    Everyone thought the PS4 was only going with 4 GB GDDR5 RAM. Developers thought that. They surprised everyone when they announced they had doubled the RAM.

Thats interesting. When you say PS4 runs at 1080p x 60fps, whereas the XB1 version runs at the 1080p x 30fps its a marked difference
    I dont understand why MS would short change on power that would give PS an advantage. Unless MS arent as interested in appealing to serious gamers with xbox one and are aiming for a wider audience (Kinnect, TV etc)
    They wanted the jack of all trades box, so it wasn't built solely for the gamer in mind. In fact, their TV TV TV reveal showed it was a media box first, game box second which was at a contrast to Sony's plans for the PS4.
    If they'd removed the kinect they could've probably soled it for €400 or a bit cheaper to undercut, but they figured the built-in camera was worth it.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    They wanted the jack of all trades box, so it wasn't built solely for the gamer in mind. In fact, their TV TV TV reveal showed it was a media box first, game box second which was at a contrast to Sony's plans for the PS4.
    If they'd removed the kinect they could've probably soled it for €400 or a bit cheaper to undercut, but they figured the built-in camera was worth it.
    It isn't the Kinect. It's the bloated OS that's the real issue.

How many frames per second will titanfall run at on the ps4?

We might find out if the second one doesn't secure exclusivity.

I think it's only 720p on the one, not sure about the fps

Titanfall is the best game ever made. Fact.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If it was released on PS4, probably twice as many frames per second as on the xbox one.
    But since it's an exclusive, zero frames per second on the PS4.

The real question is how well will The Last Guardian run on the xbox one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Titanfall will disappoint a LOT of people...

Not sure why, but somewhere along the line it became the second coming. It's a generic always online fps thats chucked mechs in.

*awaits tears when chronically unbalanced gameplay hits the wild before 6 weeks of furious patching*

• Advertisement

6v6, no single player, I found that disappointing news, in fairness. I'll give it a look on the 360, maybe but I've gone off the idea of getting an Xbox One for that game. I might renew my interest by E3 if they get some games sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement