Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

There isn't even as much hype overall for the new uncharted as there is for Titanfall from the xbox crowd, even given that uncharted, like most things that aren't a fps, are more deep and have a story and a setting with higher production values.

Titanfall could be really good, average or disappointing, but it's still a shooter in a category the same as COD and BF. Those games can be fun, but masterpieces that stand the test of time they are not.

There's a lot of eggs in one basket here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

Is there any talk of Halo 5. 343 must be working on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Is there any talk of Halo 5. 343 must be working on it ?
    It'll be out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    There isn't even as much hype overall for the new uncharted as there is for Titanfall from the xbox crowd, even given that uncharted, like most things that aren't a fps, are more deep and have a story and a setting with higher production values.

Titanfall could be really good, average or disappointing, but it's still a shooter in a category the same as COD and BF. Those games can be fun, but masterpieces that stand the test of time they are not.

There's a lot of eggs in one basket here.

Regarding UC, we haven't seen anything to really get excited about, that will all change once we see some footage. This sounds silly, but for me next-gen starts with UC.

I agree regarding Titanftall, while initially very excited about it, the more I see the less interested I am getting, it just looks like CoD with Mechs (not surprising considering they made CoD). Will probably pick it up on the PC, where the modding community should be able to unlock some of the limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Benzino wrote: »
    Regarding UC, we haven't seen anything to really get excited about, that will all change once we see some footage. This sounds silly, but for me next-gen starts with UC.

I agree regarding Titanftall, while initially very excited about it, the more I see the less interested I am getting, it just looks like CoD with Mechs (not surprising considering they made CoD). Will probably pick it up on the PC, where the modding community should be able to unlock some of the limitations.

Dont think they're releasing mod tools, at least not at launch. Shame since it was the modders that made CoD4 a good game on PC.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    Dont think they're releasing mod tools, at least not at launch. Shame since it was the modders that made CoD4 a good game on PC.

I doubt that will stop them haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm appalled at the likes of Tomb Raider being so poorly optimised on the One, a game like that can sell a machine and the fact that the PS4 version is so much better just makes it akin to another exclusive.
    Its early days yet but could it really be representative of a slide, an unbalanced slice of the market weighted on the Sony side, from which MS better do something quick to, if not sell more consoles now, but to redress the market opinion that its the high price, poor tech option.
    At this rate the WiiU will be a more attractive purchase, alongside the PS4, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm appalled at the likes of Tomb Raider being so poorly optimised on the One, a game like that can sell a machine and the fact that the PS4 version is so much better just makes it akin to another exclusive.
    Its early days yet but could it really be representative of a slide, an unbalanced slice of the market weighted on the Sony side, from which MS better do something quick to, if not sell more consoles now, but to redress the market opinion that its the high price, poor tech option.
    At this rate the WiiU will be a more attractive purchase, alongside the PS4, of course.

well on my small ass 1080p tv I can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60
    been honest I don't think I'd even notice a dip every now and again unless its like dark souls in the blighttown area :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think you're just posting with what is the more attractive purchase to you, and not the majority of consumers. The One was obviously the more attractive purchase in Dec in the US which is the biggest market because it was the best selling console.

Like to me the PS4 so far offers nothing over its main competitor. Obviously that could all change if they get a decent exclusive that interests me like Titanfall on the One but that hasn't happened yet.

I think in the long run the Xbox One will dominate the console market with its whole idea of one system for everything in the living room, especially we start getting HDMI CEC over here it will be class to get to use all its features.

The One is like the Wii and 360 roled into one. It offers a great machine for gaming, and has a lot to offer the none gamers like the Wii did with its whole fitness thing, and its UI, even though its a bit poorly thought out, is still second to none and a lot better than its competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    been honest I don't think I'd even notice a dip every now and again unless its like dark souls in the blighttown area :pac:

Yes you would notice the difference in fps on any size screen especially from 30-60, I can with PS1 games played on the PSP. On a small screen you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p however.

I remember playing San Andreas on the PS2 with the poor frame rate and then when I played it on the Xbox, it was a big difference and made the game so much better to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think you're just posting with what is the more attractive purchase to you, and not the majority of consumers. The One was obviously the more attractive purchase in Dec in the US which is the biggest market because it was the best selling console.

Like to me the PS4 so far offers nothing over its main competitor. Obviously that could all change if they get a decent exclusive that interests me like Titanfall on the One but that hasn't happened yet.

I think in the long run the Xbox One will dominate the console market with its whole idea of one system for everything in the living room, especially we start getting HDMI CEC over here it will be class to get to use all its features.

The One is like the Wii and 360 roled into one. It offers a great machine for gaming, and has a lot to offer the none gamers like the Wii did with its whole fitness thing, and its UI, even though its a bit poorly thought out, is still second to none and a lot better than its competitors.

Going by your opening line you are going with what's important to you and going by the poll on this thread the PS4 fits the gaming bill for gamers here more than the One and most people here don't want an all in one media box. Especially when 90% of all those media abilities are geared to the US market only as it stands, it's questionable if the One will ever get close to that here as it will come down to the likes of UPC and Sky to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has the frame rate mismatch issue been fixed yet or is it possible to fix, it was a major blunder by Microsoft not to realise that most countries outside of North America use 50Hz, not 60Hz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

You definitely would notice it. Games just feel a whole lot better at 60 than 30 FPS and move smoother, it's very noticable.

Personally I think the frame is more important on shooters and resolution would be more important in other genres.

Personally I think the frame is more important on shooters and resolution would be more important in other genres.

Both would be great. 720p is low for a next gen game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd take fps over resolution/gfx any day, no matter the game. There's a massive difference when playing at 60fps compared to 30fps. Not like resolution, while there is a difference comparing 1080p to 720p, it's never really that big of a factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I'm appalled at the likes of Tomb Raider being so poorly optimised on the One

It isn't poorly optimised, Xbone One hardware is simply inferior to the PS4. It's that simple.

United Front Games, who were in charge of the Xbox One port, most likely had the decision whether to run the game at full 1080p@30fps or 720/900p@60fps and it seems like they chose the former.

Even Nixxes, the dev handed the PS4 port, gave a helping hand to United Front Games with the Xbox One version. They are both very competent developers so I wouldn't be too quick to throw out the unoptimised line.

In my opinion they did a great job with both ports.

:s I thought it was a widely known fact that the only reason the PS3 didn't crush the US in December was because of supply shortages ? How could you have missed that ? Its been posted quite often !

One of the many quotes, "We sold every PS4 available at retail in the U.S. and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand"

Well so far thats just the way console launch windows are.. i can't take people seriously when they start citing the reason for getting an xbox one is because of the launch games. what kind of games interest you ? Or are you just a Call of Duty/BF only kind of gamer ? If you look into the future and games already anounced theres something for most types of gamers on PS4. If you like shooters... theres planetside, if you like action adventure games there is Uncharted and Infamous.. if you like RPG's or MMO's theres Everquest:Next, diablo and deep down... third person action games ? The order, racing games ? Drive club is coming soon. And hey ! I see you've an xbox 360 too.. you could just pick Titanfall up on that and play any sequels on the PS4 which will probably run at higher frame rates or resolution.

You'd be the first person i've seen predicting the xbox one to "dominate" the market lol.. thats just never gonna happen. Also i'm pretty sure the PS4 supports HMDI CEC too ?

My opinion is that i don't think either console will dominate the market, but i can't see anything but Sony leading for at least a year (Who knows what exclusives will come out next year).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Doesnt it usually take developers some time to get to grips with the new hardware of a new generation of consoles
    What games coming up do people feel will really show the next gen ?
    What are the killer apps that will sell the consoles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't wait for InFamous Second Son. Interested to see if Drive Club can compete with Forza and GT. Most looking forward to Planetside 2.

You see I highly doubt the X1 will dominate in the long run and I'll tell you why.

So far both have sold 80+ million with the PS3 ahead with a very small amount.
    The PS3 was much more expensive and launched a year later. The 360 had huge reliability problems with many on their 2nd or 3rd consoles. I know many who bought replacement 360s.

With this in mind the X1 has no head start, it's more expensive and I think it's reliability issues are sorted so much less people rebuying consoles. Not to mention they have less game studios than Sony and that's the reason how Sony got ahead. They just kept releasing tons of great games while the 360 dried up and focused on kinect.

For all those reasons I just don't think the X1 will dominate. It's a jack of all trades and a master of none really.

The PS4 can do nearly all it's entertainment functions while being more geared towards games and doing it while offering better value for money.

Time will tell, but there's an element of practicality needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Doesnt it usually take developers some time to get to grips with the new hardware of a new generation of consoles

Not any more. Developers got to grips with this hardware a couple of years ago in the PC market, they just need to figure out how to leverage that knowledge best for a market that is not content to wait for a humble bundle or steam wallet rape sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It isn't poorly optimised, Xbone One hardware is simply inferior to the PS4. It's that simple.

United Front Games, who were in charge of the Xbox One port, most likely had the decision whether to run the game at full 1080p@30fps or 720/900p@60fps and it seems like they chose the former.

Even Nixxes, the dev handed the PS4 port, gave a helping hand to United Front Games with the Xbox One version. They are both very competent developers so I wouldn't be too quick to throw out the unoptimised line.

In my opinion they did a great job with both ports.

To my (only semi knowledgeable) eyes it seems that a developer would have to put in quite a bit of extra effort to optimize for eSDRAM usage to even get on a par with the GDDR5 installed on the PS4, and even when you get there the PS4 will have access to 50% more compute units than XBOne developers (albeit slightly offset a higher GPU clockspeed ).

While I don't think that that would equate to anything like 50% extra performance, it still ought to be a reasonably significant advantage. And when it comes to VSync, if you can't make the 60fps bus then the next one is the 30fps, so it is probably unfair to accuse anyone of a badly optimised XB1 version.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Not any more. Developers got to grips with this hardware a couple of years ago in the PC market, they just need to figure out how to leverage that knowledge best for a market that is not content to wait for a humble bundle or steam wallet rape sale.

Having a dig at PC gamers is pretty harsh to be fair, one could easily point to the trade ins market on the console as a quite similar problem. Now I don't really think you can realistically quantify the effect of either financially, but its safe to say publishers would be happy for everybody to be paying €50 for brand new games.

I would trade the odd 360 games from time to time myself, but I know for a fact that when I buy a game for my PC I am much more fussy about what I will and won't pay full price for, because I know the option of offloading it later simply isn't there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The US the biggest market?
    With the PS4 due to hit the Asian countries it'll be interesting to watch, given the Xbox One will probably be as unpopular as it's predecessor.
    I don't doubt the One is going to sell loads but I have a feeling, at this point, that sales could break down more like the PS2/Xbox/GC days.
    If the One continues to be host to compromised ports then it may generate a shroud of "also ran" that may be hard to shift.
    I was seriously considering making the One my first next gen purchase but I think I'll wait a little longer.
    And if media features are a big factor in the console you choose, you're probably posting in the wrong forum! ;)

Magill wrote: »
    Also i'm pretty sure the PS4 supports HMDI CEC too ?

I didn't even realize you could put your satellite into a HDMI IN port and watch TV on the PS4.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The PS4 can do nearly all it's entertainment functions while being more geared towards games and doing it while offering better value for money.

This doesn't get recognized enough in my opinion. The TV integration is cool, but, for me at least, it's way too late. I haven't watched live TV in about 4 years. And this is a trend that seems to be spreading, less people are watching live TV, and instead streaming it online via services like Netflix or illegally downloading.

It's typical MS, a nice idea but they are too late to the market with it (see windows phone and zune).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What games coming up do people feel will really show the next gen ?
    What are the killer apps that will sell the consoles?

All the console differences are subjective imho except 2. Price and performance. And ps4 is ahead on both.
    And as for killer apps, you have Microsoft media centre xbox or free monthly games with ps plus.
    Honestly don't know why its even a debate at this stage, the ps4 is the better system.

I didn't even realize you could put your satellite into a HDMI IN port and watch TV on the PS4.

Well that's hdmi in.. hdmi cec is the ability to use one controller for multiple devices.. e.g. use your tv remote on your ps4. Nearly all tv's these days have 2 or 3 hdmi ports anyway.. don't see how you can possibly think that having a Hdmi input is going to win the console war for Xbox lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If you think that's the game changer between the Xbox one and PS4 then you're idea of a next gen console and mine is very different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement