Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Wonder how long will be the wait to see a new Uncharted game for PS4 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

This year or next. Most likely next

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    This year or next. Most likely next

Saw a tweet from a ND person that strongly implied it wouldn't be until next year.

TBH Uncharted is a known quantity - you know it will be good. I am now interested in The Order at the moment. I hope that releases in 2014.

Otacon wrote: »
    Saw a tweet from a ND person that strongly implied it wouldn't be until next year.

TBH Uncharted is a known quantity - you know it will be good. I am now interested in The Order at the moment. I hope that releases in 2014.

Yeah that'll take it's place this year and it looks great. Think it will have the same uncharted-like premise as in good gameplay and story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think in the long run the Xbox One will dominate the console market with its whole idea of one system for everything in the living room, especially we start getting HDMI CEC over here it will be class to get to use all its features.
    I don't think you could be any more wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you look at the way Sony are going about signing on talented developers for unique exclusive games and if you look at how incredible PsPlus is, it would take a clusterf*ck of epic proportions to let Microsoft into the lead now. Not saying the Xbox One doesn't have it's place, or not worth getting, but it's second best in the majority of the opinion. The 360 finished weakly, games wise, and the PS3 finished quite strongly and also in the lead with sales. This lead has continued into this generation.

If, like some posters, Microsoft's only answer to the situation is "Titanfall", well, then... g'luck! They need to work on games. Games, games, and more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm assuming a lot is down to it coming out sooner too.

As If I was to get an Xbox One (which is very unlikely for a few years I'd imagine) it would be down to the other games shown like Quantic Break and to a lesser extent Sunset Overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sold my X1 and bought a graphics card from most of the proceeds. I'm outta the console game for good, these new consoles just can't compete with a decent PC and the ridiculously cheap games available for it.

Sold my X1 and bought a graphics card from most of the proceeds. I'm outta the console game for good, these new consoles just can't compete with a decent PC and the ridiculously cheap games available for it.

If those Steam Boxes provided the same ease of use that consoles do, I would pick one up - but they simply don't (based on previews I've read). I work in IT. The last thing I want to do when I get home is spend time either updating drivers, thrawling through online fora for answers to some config questions or researching to make sure an upgrade works with all of my prior equipment.

My €0.02

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playstation Plus has changed the 'value' proposition of the Sony consoles quite significantly, to the point of near ridiculousness. As dirt cheap as PC gaming can be, even then you don't get five notable games every month for less than a fiver. Obviously you have to take what you're given, and the subscription isn't permanent, but PS Plus has slowly morphed into the best value for money regardless of platforms. Certainly it means that you can enjoy a huge catalogue of games without having to spend 60+ euro on the new AAA releases. If anything, Sony are almost undervaluing the games on their consoles at this point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If those Steam Boxes provided the same ease of use that consoles do, I would pick one up - but they simply don't (based on previews I've read). I work in IT. The last thing I want to do when I get home is spend time either updating drivers, thrawling through online fora for answers to some config questions or researching to make sure an upgrade works with all of my prior equipment.

My €0.02

And you work in IT..... Dear god... :rolleyes:

If what PC gaming became easier, because you dont need to pick your ass up to change discs every time you want to play different game. Thats what pisses me off about my PS4 most. full digital does not really work, because of stupid digital monopoly prices and Hdd being filled up in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

My €0.02

Such a thing of the 90's that.. unless you've got seriously outdated gear playing games on PC is probably easier than on console, especially if your not completely clueless with computers. I've not had to update my drivers since i built my PC over 2 years ago, very little "thrawling" done either. I mean, once you have everything set up its in many ways more efficent than console gaming... no running the the shops to buy games, no disc swapping.. just buy your game, press install.. go take a sh1t.. come back and play. Honestly, you just come across as being quite ignorant to the whole PC gaming scene which is fine... just thought i'd shed some light on it.
    Playstation Plus has changed the 'value' proposition of the Sony consoles quite significantly, to the point of near ridiculousness. As dirt cheap as PC gaming can be, even then you don't get five notable games every month for less than a fiver. Obviously you have to take what you're given, and the subscription isn't permanent, but PS Plus has slowly morphed into the best value for money regardless of platforms. Certainly it means that you can enjoy a huge catalogue of games without having to spend 60+ euro on the new AAA releases. If anything, Sony are almost undervaluing the games on their consoles at this point!

PS+ is incredible for sure, really is hard to beat. Not really comparable to what you get with steam sales as its kind of like an "EVERYTHING MUST GO, 75% OFF" vs "99% OFF THIS MYSTERY BOX" sale scenario... granted they typically don't disappoint with the games they release on PS+ . combining both would be the ultimate value platform tho !

You sound like someone who changes their mind a lot..

How did you justify buying an Xbox One and then justify selling it within 2 - 3 months?

And you work in IT..... Dear god... :rolleyes:

Yes, I do work in IT as I have stated. Ignoring the attitude, your point is made. I should be able to do all of this easily. But, you know what? I don't want to. I want to come home, turn on my console and just play.
    If what PC gaming became easier, because you dont need to pick your ass up to change discs every time you want to play different game. Thats what pisses me off about my PS4 most. full digital does not really work, because of stupid digital monopoly prices and Hdd being filled up in seconds.

I have a 1.5TB drive in my PS4. Every game I download, I start off while at work so by the time I get home, I can at least start the first level. Finally, I am willing to pay for that convenience.

I am not going to get into a debate about this as it leads to nothing. But choosing a console over a PC is a legitimate option, one I avail of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Magill wrote: »
    PS+ is incredible for sure, really is hard to beat. Not really comparable to what you get with steam sales as its kind of like an "EVERYTHING MUST GO, 75% OFF" vs "99% OFF THIS MYSTERY BOX" sale scenario... granted they are typically do't disappoint with the games they release on PS+ . combining both would be the ultimate value platform tho !

Certainly, Steam Sales are still incredible value (although I do also partially agree with the recent arguments that the prevalence of Steam sales and other sales, bundles, subscriptions etc... can lead to distorted perceptions of the value and worth of games). I do think Sony have managed to offer excellent digital sales, even divorced from Plus, that offer plenty of bargains. Microsoft have been slow to catch up, TBH: while there's no doubt the occasional great value sale or 'deal of the week' to be found on Xbox Live (the RPG one at the moment has some bargains) they've typically been eclipsed by Sony's efforts. They've gotten better, to be fair. Nintendo, though, are defiantly sticking with their premium prices, when even digital discounts can be pretty low. But their 'stick with one price for the lifespan of a title' policy has worked for them thus far, even though buying software for a Nintendo console is considerably more expensive than any other format. The likes of the Tesco €5 3DS games deals from a week ago are truly exceptional cases, and constitute a rare one-of-a-kind bargain: the kind that have become almost routine on Steam and the like.

I don't like getting caught up in price arguments, as I tend to think even game critics tend to overanalyse the cost of games at the expense of actual analysis and discussion of the game itself. But definitely digital marketplaces and the likes of PS Plus have finally allowed console owners to have access to a nearly constant stream of bargains, not just whatever the local game shop happens to discount. Obviously the sheer force and volume of a Steam sale remains unique to PC, but the pricing differences are no longer so radical, apart from release day titles and the likes of Call of Duty that seem to be perpetually high priced. As long as you're willing to wait, there's almost always a reasonable discount to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You know what my favourite thing about Plus is? Not that it's incredible value, but that every month, all my mates are playing the same game and we can get some great multiplayer games going. Borderland 2 has a new lease of life :)

I got the PS4 for the exclusives, I figure it's going to do very well in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Microsoft secure Gears of War rights, new game in development. Loved the series, but felt like it had ran it's course after Gears 3. Never got Judgement as a result of that and the fact Epic were not involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I got the PS4 for the exclusives, I figure it's going to do very well in that regard.

My most played stuff on the PS4 so far has been the free PS+ games and free to play games. Some may argue that's not very next gen, but if the games are good enough I couldn't care less where they came from tbh

Benzino wrote: »
    Microsoft secure Gears of War rights, new game in development. Loved the series, but felt like it had ran it's course after Gears 3. Never got Judgement as a result of that and the fact Epic were not involved.

What I'd be a little annoyed about with that news is the studio that will be working on it is Black Tusk.

They had a trailer for a game at E3 that we're now finding out was more of a tech demo. Seems odd.

It's mentioned in this article on Polygon anyway - http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5345342/gears-of-war-xbox-one-microsoft-epic-games-rod-fergusson

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    You sound like someone who changes their mind a lot..

How did you justify buying an Xbox One and then justify selling it within 2 - 3 months?

The sudden realisation that both the X1 and PS4 are pieces of sh#t owned by companies who grab you by the balls and keep squeezing until you become their bitch. The realisation that I don't want someone else in charge of my gaming system of choice, I want to be in charge. 'Oh but PS+ is great and we get 2 free games a month', yes as long as you keep subscribing and you can't go online without a PS+ subscription anymore (a low key announcement made at E3 when the fanboys were celebrating the swapping games video sony made).

Steam sales kick the crap out of PS+, you get to decide what games you want to purchase and for €50 you can get more games that you want than a years supply of PS3 games.

The X1 has a lot of owners worried right now. The recent announcement that Tomb Raider will be only 30 FPS has made a lot of people worried and suffering from buyers regret. I decided that I'm cashing out early and concentrating on my PC.

The shackles are off I'm not a lowly peasant anymore. I'm a fully fledged member of the master race.

Long Live Glorious Leader Gaben

Retr0, have we made use of the phrase 'master race' a bannable offence yet?

The sudden realisation that both the X1 and PS4 are pieces of sh#t owned by companies who grab you by the balls and keep squeezing until you become their bitch. The realisation that I don't want someone else in charge of my gaming system of choice, I want to be in charge. 'Oh but PS+ is great and we get 2 free games a month', yes as long as you keep subscribing and you can't go online without a PS+ subscription anymore (a low key announcement made at E3 when the fanboys were celebrating the swapping games video sony made).

Steam sales kick the crap out of PS+, you get to decide what games you want to purchase and for €50 you can get more games that you want than a years supply of PS3 games.

The X1 has a lot of owners worried right now. The recent announcement that Tomb Raider will be only 30 FPS has made a lot of people worried and suffering from buyers regret. I decided that I'm cashing out early and concentrating on my PC.

The shackles are off I'm not a lowly peasant anymore. I'm a fully fledged member of the master race.

You didn't really answer the question on how you justified buying it in the first place... you sound very strongly on it now but as I said you sound like someone who changes his mind rapidly and quickly just going by what you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You will buy either a PS4 or xbox again in 2015. Steam sales do not beat PS+

tok9 wrote: »
    You didn't really answer the question on how you justified buying it in the first place... you sound very strongly on it now but as I said you sound like someone who changes his mind rapidly and quickly just going by what you did.

Got caught up in the hype to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

Still playing my 360, I havent got either a PS4 or Xbox one yet. No rush really, theres no game out yet that I really want to play. There may even be a price drop hopefully
    But I am definitely leaning towards a PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yes, I do work in IT as I have stated. Ignoring the attitude, your point is made. I should be able to do all of this easily. But, you know what? I don't want to. I want to come home, turn on my console and just play.

I have a 1.5TB drive in my PS4. Every game I download, I start off while at work so by the time I get home, I can at least start the first level. Finally, I am willing to pay for that convenience.

I am not going to get into a debate about this as it leads to nothing. But choosing a console over a PC is a legitimate option, one I avail of.

Choosing console over PC is legitimate choice. Talking non sense about PC is different thing.

I got consoles and PCs in my house for the last few years. I got PS4 since launch too. Right now PC is easier to use then console.
    I start my Pc, which loads up almost as fast or even faster then turning on PS4 and TV.
    I got all my gamesinstalled and nicely put on desktop. So I dont even need to use menus or put in any disc in to drive to start game. I just pick what I want and double click. I am in game.
    Updating drivers is as easy as pissing on your two fingers these days. Nvidia will pop up now and then and tell you "new drivers are out, do you want then, you lazy son of the bitch?". Double click and it install all drivers.
    Other then that, I dont have any issues with my system at all. I enjoy super cheap games, I enjoy all games that were ever created on Pc as those stupid ass PCs are still on first gen :pac:, I can do a lot more with my pc then I could with new gen console. It might sound revolutionary, but I can put movies and music on USB stick and watch/listen that media on PC. Next gen is not there yet! :pac:

Now I LOVE my PC and I LOVE my PS4. I LOVE my 3ds and Vita. They are all great products and I would recommend them to anyone. Each of them have great strengh and weaknesses.
    Just I cant believe that people still got an excuse about Pcs that they are hard to use or have issues with drivers. :eek: Its not 90s.

Now define "IT" job. I can hardly believe that anyone in IT finds PC hard to use...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Still playing my 360, I havent got either a PS4 or Xbox one yet. No rush really, theres no game out yet that I really want to play. There may even be a price drop hopefully
    But I am definitely leaning towards a PS4

Well I got a Xbox One and switched to a PS4 because of the performance difference.

I have to echo what you said there is not much out on either console.

I had Call of Duty of Xbox One along with Fifa and Need for Speed all 3 of these games were games I just did not use along with Ryse that I was forced to buy but I got my money back on that one.
    Forza came with the console it was the only game that got any real play but it was a shadow of Forza 4 with less cars tracks and it was full of micro transactions.

On PS4 I have Killzone not a bad game.

I was considering getting Battlefield but I do not want to risk €70 on a game I may not play.

Now define "IT" job. I can hardly believe that anyone in IT finds PC hard to use...
    The last thing I want to do when I get home is spend time either updating drivers, thrawling through online fora for answers to some config questions or researching to make sure an upgrade works with all of my prior equipment.

Never said I found PCs hard to use. I just don't want to spend additional time on them when I work with them every day.

Anyway, this is off-topic and is my last input on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

The original Playstation launched with Ridge Racer
    The original Xbox Launched with Halo.

These new consoles lack a must have launch title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement