Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

RasTa wrote: »
    Steam sales do not beat PS+

Can't say I agree with that. For me buying my games for extremely cheap and owning them forever is better than an extremely cheap rental service where if I stop paying a sub my games are gone.

I don't think discounts on the PS Store have got up with Steam yet either. They are getting better though.

My main reason for being a PS+ subscriber is because I own a Vita as well and one subscription covers all Sony platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Otacon wrote: »
    Never said I found PCs hard to use. I just don't want to spend additional time on them when I work with them every day.

Anyway, this is off-topic and is my last input on the matter.

You are missing a lot and you got a very wrong ( I am not even afraid of saying wrong, as it is completely wrong and uneducated ) perspective on one of the best ever gaming platforms. Your loss m8, I am not saying consoles are bad or worse, but you missing out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

The original Playstation launched with Ridge Racer
    The original Xbox Launched with Halo.

These new consoles lack a must have launch title.

True. I dont recall if the PS3 or 360 launched with game changing titles either ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Retr0, have we made use of the phrase 'master race' a bannable offence yet?
    Never mind the phrase, but can we ban people coming into threads about consoles giving us the arguments for PC's? Arguments that we all know and we've all heard a thousand times?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never mind the phrase, but can we ban people coming into threads about consoles giving us the arguments for PC's? Arguments that we all know and we've all heard a thousand times?

As pointed out a few times before in this thread "PC has a legitimate place in this thread too". Same way ps3/360/wii u was its place in this thread. Its about gaming and what people decided to do with their hobby.

I am afraid you will have to just:

63b6b35d_DEAL-WITH-IT.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can't say I agree with that. For me buying my games for extremely cheap and owning them forever is better than an extremely cheap rental service where if I stop paying a sub my games are gone.

I don't think discounts on the PS Store have got up with Steam yet either. They are getting better though.

My main reason for being a PS+ subscriber is because I own a Vita as well and one subscription covers all Sony platforms.

I find that strange, once I complete a game I'm done with it. I rarely buy games any more thanks to plus unless I want it. GTA, Batman and the Last of Us being the three titles I bought during the whole of 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As pointed out a few times before in this thread "PC has a legitimate place in this thread too". Same way ps3/360/wii u was its place in this thread. Its about gaming and what people decided to do with their hobby.

I am afraid you will have to just:

63b6b35d_DEAL-WITH-IT.jpeg
    I must have misread the thread title then :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of course PC should and always will factor into the discussion and people's individual purchasing decisions, but I for one am growing increasingly frustrated with the language used in these discussions. 'Fanboys', 'master race', 'peasants': one could say they're simply used in jest, but it's gone well past that point at this stage (also the fact that, like all jokes, they're not really very funny the thousandth time you hear them). Zealotry of all sorts - whether that's an obsession with a single console or a PC - can be truly toxic to discussion, and kill any sensible debate that might arise around the topic: very often invalidating a perfectly valid argument anyway.

And after all, they're all just consumer boxes used to play gaming software. How one's choice of what box to buy is justification for blanket insults and arrogance is and always will be beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Ignore people who insist on using terms like that. Pretty simple really. If nobody is replying to their posts then they'll go away. Just like bully's! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

Ps4 everytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

PC

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Of course PC should factor into the discussion, but I for one am growing increasingly frustrated with the language used in these discussions. 'Fanboys', 'master race', 'peasants': one could say they're simply used in jest, but it's gone well past that point at this stage (also the fact that, like all jokes, they're not really very funny the thousandth time you hear them). Zealotry of all sorts - whether that's an obsession with a single console or a PC - can be truly toxic to discussion, and kill any sensible debate that might arise around the topic.

And after all, they're all just consumer boxes used to play gaming software. How one's choice of what box to buy is justification for blanket insult and arrogance is and always will be beyond me.

Well I have played and owned just about every console since the Atari 2600 and I find it frustrating when people dismiss games just because they are on one platform or another.

I have never really played on the PC but I would be the first to acknowledge it's specs and performance kick the consoles ass.

Many console fans do not like hearing that.

I use the term Fan-boy when somebody is denying facts because they are loyal to a console.

GTA for example had a low res mess of a port on PS3 and many said it was the better version when it was clearly not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Still playing my 360, I havent got either a PS4 or Xbox one yet. No rush really, theres no game out yet that I really want to play. There may even be a price drop hopefully
    But I am definitely leaning towards a PS4

Me too. Having watched Sony mess things up for years, the PS3 launch etc. they really seem to have got their act together in recent years. PS3 finished very strong, PS+ and they killed MS in the console launch battle this time. MS actually looked a bit clownish trying to backpeddle on message. Having said that no doubt Xbox One will do well enough
    PS4 for me. With developers like Naughty Dog leading the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well I have played and owned just about every console since the Atari 2600 and I find it frustrating when people dismiss games just because they are on one platform or another.

I have never really played on the PC but I would be the first to acknowledge it's specs and performance kick the consoles ass.

Many console fans do not like hearing that.

I use the term Fan-boy when somebody is denying facts because they are loyal to a console.

GTA for example had a low res mess of a port on PS3 and many said it was the better version when it was clearly not.

Been there.
    Up to now I've played the lot, going back to Pong in the 70's and its never been as great a past time as in the last 14 years or so.
    Even now, with the Indie scene really gaining traction in the previous gen and hopefully matching that ingenuity this gen, we see it producing a lot of the fruit that the small releases did on the the PS2 and Saturn, like art house film we see some of the trends of tomorrow in the likes of Fez, Braid and Journey.
    So, I expect great things from the Xbox One and PS4, not to mention the Nintendo entrants to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Of course PC should and always will factor into the discussion and people's individual purchasing decisions, but I for one am growing increasingly frustrated with the language used in these discussions. 'Fanboys', 'master race', 'peasants': one could say they're simply used in jest, but it's gone well past that point at this stage (also the fact that, like all jokes, they're not really very funny the thousandth time you hear them). Zealotry of all sorts - whether that's an obsession with a single console or a PC - can be truly toxic to discussion, and kill any sensible debate that might arise around the topic: very often invalidating a perfectly valid argument anyway.

And after all, they're all just consumer boxes used to play gaming software. How one's choice of what box to buy is justification for blanket insults and arrogance is and always will be beyond me.

But..but my consumer box is better than all the other consumer boxes. It has to be! I can't afford to have the other consumer boxes as well! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Digital Foundry comparison results. Big difference, wonder if it will continue

Tomb Raider: DE on PS4 vs Xbox One

BfQV3oa.png

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

RasTa wrote: »
    Digital Foundry comparison results. Big difference, wonder if it will continue
    Probably best to operate on the assumption that it will, though would like if it didn't.
    What's curious from our perspective is that United Front Games on Xbox One would have benefited from a reasonably straightforward porting process from the original PC DirectX 11 code since both platforms use the same API, while Nixxes would have needed to translate the original PC version across to the PS4's LibGNM API - not exactly a walk in the park based on this presentation from Ubisoft Reflections, who are handling the PS4 version of The Crew, ported across from the PC DirectX 11 codebase. Another development source we reached out to suggests that the DX11 'driver' for the Xbox One still requires a lot of work.
    Wonder how far this'll go with things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Does the type of TV you are using matter greatly in the FPS image resolution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Does the type of TV you are using matter greatly in the FPS image resolution ?

As long as the TV refreshes at a higher rate than the FPS, then it shouldnt. As far as I know most tv operate at 60hz, with some (3d for example) operating at 120hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you have optimised code DDR3 really shouldn't be limiting the esRAM but getting that level of optimisation is very tricky. I'd say a lot of third parties are just using the DDR3 as GPU memory and the esRAM for post processing.

Sorry for digging up your post Retr0 but said I'd hold out to see what the DF analysis was going to come up with before replying. So the the FPS graphs pretty much confirm what the rumours were saying, with the difference between the averages when the game is unlocked being ~20FPS, 29.84fps Xbox one and 50.98fps PS4.

What I find interesting is apparently the amount of screen tearing happening on the Xbox One version (which DF did not pick up on, see here)which kinda backs up my point about the eSRAM not being able to handle the bandwidth required(@1080p). It would appear that the Xbox one can only handle a double Buffer, while the PS4 is seemingly using a triple Buffer with the complete absence of any tearing. This is, in my opinion, probably Microsoft biggest problem going forward with the Xbox one. If it cannot do it now with the DIE space the eSRAM is taking up what hope have they for next gen engines.

From the Beyond3d forum.
    "Well the back buffer is going to be stored in the ESRAM, and at 1080p a triple buffer would use a fair bit of space as it would possibly double the esram used. That leaves less space in the esram to store additional heavily reused data. This would mean the esram would be doing less to alleviate bandwidth demands from the main ddr3 memory.

Only being able to afford having a double buffer is probably why they chose to lock the framerate at 30 on Xbox One, while having it unlocked on PS4."

I'm wondering if optimising the eSRAM further can alleviate this but it would appear to me that the eSRAM is the bottlenek and only another SKU can solve this in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Everquest Next has been announced for the PS4 (no word on Xbox but unlikely as it's a SoE game) as well (it was previously announced for PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vladicaris

ps4 .No chance to give MS new support after lot of trouble with RROD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

http://30vs60fps.com/

(I had to turn stretching off)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »

What it doesn't give an indication of is the control latency. 60 FPS games play an awful lot better. Most modern games try to disguise 30FPS when the camera turns quickly with motion blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Grayditch wrote: »

Made me dizzy :D

Had to turn off stretching too, would like to see the same with the character moving forward, and doing some other actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What it doesn't give an indication of is the control latency. 60 FPS games play an awful lot better. Most modern games try to disguise 30FPS when the camera turns quickly with motion blur.

I know, but it does give a very, very basic idea of what framerates are for people like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Few people on NeoGaf are thinking that the XBone version of Tomb Raider is being upscaled too. I cant see it myself but the textures are not as clear as the PS4 version.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759087&page=9

KgNxSyd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Christ, that UFO one hurts my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

RUMOUR: PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 via Emulation, not PS Now
    A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

While Sony effectively phased out hardware emulation of previous platforms during the early stages of the PS3 era, it has worked consistently on opening up the PlayStation back catalogue to publishers via software emulation and PSN downloads. Internally, PlayStation 3's firmware contains emulators for PS1, PS2 and even the handheld PSP, while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly using the same technology. In short, there's a proven codebase that can only get better for the vastly more powerful PS4.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.

If true, another possible feather in the bow for PS4.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement