Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd like to see them use the PS4's power to start emulating the PS1 and PS2 down to timing cycles or as close to it as possible. The PS2 software emulation really needs a big overhaul as well, it's far from great on PS3 but good to hear they are working on improving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Otacon wrote: »
    RUMOUR: PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 via Emulation, not PS Now

If true, another possible feather in the bow for PS4.
    Possible dumb question, but will this work only with downloads, or will it be able to read off the disc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Possible dumb question, but will this work only with downloads, or will it be able to read off the disc?

It depends on Sony. Would be nice if they did offer it but they probably won't. Also they'd need to emulate reading of the disc which might not be possible, many games on PS1 and PS2 stream data from the disc which could be a problem.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It depends on Sony. Would be nice if they did offer it but they probably won't. Also they'd need to emulate reading of the disc which might not be possible, many games on PS1 and PS2 stream data from the disc which could be a problem.
    That's a reasonable reason why it won't be possible.

Doesn't really interest me anyway, BC is something that I only use for a short while before I move on. Great plus for those interested, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So does mean that basiclly we could buy ps3/ps2/ps1 games like we already do on PS3 via the store ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Where are we on playing mp4s? I'm not buying either until that's an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Reportedly-Relaxing-Kinect-Requirements-Returning-GPU-Power-To-Primary-Console/

Apparently MS are considering allowing developers to use up some of the power reserved for Kinect. Considering MS already abandoned the idea of the always connected Kinect, is this another step towards Kinect becoming a less relevant accessory to the XBone rather than a integral part of the infrastructure? Personally I think Kinect is the weak point of the system. It uses 10% of the GPU power and would appear to be where the additional €100 on the price tag is going. While I don't think it will happen, a Kinectless XBone at the same price of the PS4 is far more appealing product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

vladicaris wrote: »
    ps4 .No chance to give MS new support after lot of trouble with RROD

people say this but the ps3 was no masterpiece of engineering either. we went through as many ps3s as 360s, at least the 360s were replaced for free by microsoft, my younger bro had to put his hand in his pocket for each ps3. And the laser on the current one isn't looking/sounding/acting too healthy either.

I still have no idea which console to get, I'm leaning PS4 but I'm still not at a place where I WANT one. I was not impressed with my first hands-on with the xOne, the triggers on the ps4 pad are still muck. Neither has any games for me yet.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can I argue again that I should be able to run my PlayStation library seeing as the emulation is local?
    Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can I argue again that I should be able to run my PlayStation library seeing as the emulation is local?
    Please?
    Should be good for a few pages :pac:

• Advertisement

Please?

cat-money-gangster.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, you might be right, forget I said anything... This is not the debate I am looking for, move along...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The way I see it Nintendo and Sony seem to have a genuine interest in games and the industry, I won't lie, it's obviously a business and about the money, but MS only seems to be interested in the money and leaching it out. That's evident in their parady clause and ther big push for kinect and buying timed exclusives while banking on old IPs a bit too much.

Yes and the fact some of their top guys were consdiering pulling the plug on the Xbox a few months ago would back this up. Microsoft have lost billions on their xbox division since they released the original Xbox. If that trend continues with the Xbox One I find it hard to see them releasing another Xbox after it.

And it probably will considering
    1) Their massive advertising budget
    2) They lose a fair bit of money on every Xbox sold and if they are forced to do a price cut to compete with the PS4 things will nonly be worse
    3) They are spending a ton of money for exclusives / timed exclusives. Titanfall is one and they just bought the Gears of War franchise for a rumoured 100M.

theteal wrote: »
    people say this but the ps3 was no masterpiece of engineering either. we went through as many ps3s as 360s, at least the 360s were replaced for free by microsoft, my younger bro had to put his hand in his pocket for each ps3. And the laser on the current one isn't looking/sounding/acting too healthy either.

I still have no idea which console to get, I'm leaning PS4 but I'm still not at a place where I WANT one. I was not impressed with my first hands-on with the xOne, the triggers on the ps4 pad are still muck. Neither has any games for me yet.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I think the PS4 controller is the best I've ever played with. If you're one of those over fussy gamers just but a modded / custom controller.

PS4 has been great so far and now that BF4 is working it's the best thing ever! If MS and Sony's exclusives can't pull you to either console I go with a PS4 considering the PS Plus membership is the deal of the century (it works on the PS3 and PSvita too) and that multiplats so far have been better on the PS4 and will continue to be in future.

Has anyone got a Vita and used it for remote play? It's actually incredible. I often lie in bed playing the BF4 for the PS4 on my vita and it works great. Graphics are top notch too.

What's the point in revelling in the graphics capabilities of a console only to play then on a device with a lower resolution than your phone?
    This is a general question, not aimed at any poster in particular.
    Same goes for those who want to play WiiU games on the Gamepad instead of in HD on tv.

What's the point in revelling in the graphics capabilities of a console only to play then on a device with a lower resolution than your phone?
    Same goes for those who want to play WiiU games on the Gamepad instead of in HD on tv.

Well you tell me of a better way of playing BF4 while on the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Use your imagination, or invisage overcoming some hypothetical situations with remote play, CiderMan. You'll find your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Well you tell me of a better way of playing BF4 while on the toilet?

Am I the only one who doesn't spend half an hour on god damn toilet? I mean seriously, I'm in and out of a bathroom in 2 minutes or less, how could you possibly do anything worthwhile on a video game in that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Am I the only one who doesn't spend half an hour on god damn toilet?

You're doing it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I accidentally a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's an amazing thing to have:

Play your games, while misses,watched her shiete on Tv.
    Go have a ****, while shooting someone in a face.
    Go outside when it is good weather and play some games ( loved doing it last summer with my 3ds)
    Throw your ass on a couch ir just have a lazy day in bed and play on your handheld.

I have vita and 3ds. Both of them were not outside since I got them. Being able to play ps4 games on handheld is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's an amazing thing to have:

Go outside when it is good weather and play some games ( loved doing it last summer with my 3ds)
    Throw your ass on a couch ir just have a lazy day in bed and play on your handheld.

I have vita and 3ds. Both of them were not outside since I got them. Being able to play ps4 games on handheld is great too.

I lol'd :pac:

Oh, I know how lovely the Vita display is, I was just wondering.
    I don't yet own a PS4 so I can't comment on how good the experience is, so I'll take your word.
    That said, usually when in the lavvy I am on Boards, talking sh*te while taking a sh*te ;)

When it comes to Assassin's Creed, I do the collectables in bed on the Vita before I hit the hay. It's quite relaxing, actually.

Considering you spelled "shiete" that way, I really hope the **** isn't what I think it is :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Its looking more and more likely we'll see cross platform games running @ 720p on the X1 and 1080p on the PS4. I keep reading articles from devs. saying the power differences will only become more noticible as we move forward.

Well we heard the same from third party devs concerning the PS3 a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well we heard the same from third party devs concerning the PS3 a few years ago.

I don't think there is any denying that there is a difference in power. So far, it seems to be having a not insignificant effect! I can't see that improving for the X1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jenjenten wrote: »
    Its looking more and more likely we'll see cross platform games running @ 720p on the X1 and 1080p on the PS4. I keep reading articles from devs. saying the power differences will only become more noticible as we move forward.
    We are only 2 months + into the next generation of consoles. Both consoles still have a lot of work to be done.

Something to note is that Battlefield 4 on PS4 is 900p not 1080p.

There are already many cross platform titles that are 1080p on both Xbox One and PS4 like NBA 2k14 which runs at 60 FPS and likewise Fifa 14 at 60 FPS.

Predicting the next year I'd expect the PS4 to continue having a graphical advantage until MS give developers more resources to get the best out of the Xbox One. I'd expect that next November AAA titles to be 1080p across the board. While this is going on I'd expect MS to be releasing great titles that are exclusive to XB1 like Titanfall, Quantum Break, Project spark etc (I know 2 of this are on PC but Console exclusive)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement