Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Grayditch wrote: »
    Considering you spelled "shiete" that way, I really hope the **** isn't what I think it is :/

Especially as at the end of it someone gets shot in the face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

We are only 2 months + into the next generation of consoles. Both consoles still have a lot of work to be done.

Something to note is that Battlefield 4 on PS4 is 900p not 1080p.

There are already many cross platform titles that are 1080p on both Xbox One and PS4 like NBA 2k14 which runs at 60 FPS and likewise Fifa 14 at 60 FPS.

Predicting the next year I'd expect the PS4 to continue having a graphical advantage until MS give developers more resources to get the best out of the Xbox One. I'd expect that next November AAA titles to be 1080p across the board. While this is going on I'd expect MS to be releasing great titles that are exclusive to XB1 like Titanfall, Quantum Break, Project spark etc (I know 2 of this are on PC but Console exclusive)

PS4 will always have the graphical advantage because they'll be optimising as much as the X1 will so I don't expect the gap to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    PS4 will always have the graphical advantage because they'll be optimising as much as the X1 will so I don't expect the gap to close.

I'd say it'll close to some extent as the PS4 is already somewhat optimised compared to the X1, but I suspect you're right in your assertion that it'll never be fully closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'd say it'll close to some extent as the PS4 is already somewhat optimised compared to the X1, but I suspect you're right in your assertion that it'll never be fully closed.

Ps4 is not optimised, same as Xbox one. Both systems got optimisation dripping out of their ears. Cormack even said, that there is still lots of power and optimisation you can get out of 360/ps3.

I know that Esram needs to be learned more, but we already get reports that it is not beneficial and is a pain in a hole Bottleneck.
    Things is that people say that gap will be smaller when ESram is learned. I still dont agree fully with this. As it would mean that PS4 optimisation will sit in a corner and wait for Esram to catch up? No, PS4 will be more optimised again.
    The way I look at it ( its my personal opinion, not a fact ), that from start PS4 already has a head start over Xbox one in optimisation and raw power. So the only way for it to go is up, wheres Xbox one has to do catching up at least to ps4 levels sue to "pain in a hole" architecture.

Ps4 is not optimised, same as Xbox one. Both systems got optimisation dripping out of their ears. Cormack even said, that there is still lots of power and optimisation you can get out of 360/ps3.

I know that Esram needs to be learned more, but we already get reports that it is not beneficial and is a pain in a hole Bottleneck.
    Things is that people say that gap will be smaller when ESram is learned. I still dont agree fully with this. As it would mean that PS4 optimisation will sit in a corner and wait for Esram to catch up? No, PS4 will be more optimised again.
    The way I look at it ( its my personal opinion, not a fact ), that from start PS4 already has a head start over Xbox one in optimisation and raw power. So the only way for it to go is up, wheres Xbox one has to do catching up at least to ps4 levels sue to "pain in a hole" architecture.

The optimisation on the X1 will give bigger payoffs initially as the esRAM is so poorly utilised in comparison to the more traditional setup in the ps4. Sure utilisation will get better for the PS4, but it's already somewhat optimised as it is pretty standard PC hardware.

• Advertisement

The optimisation on the X1 will give bigger payoffs initially as the esRAM is so poorly utilised in comparison to the more traditional setup in the ps4. Sure utilisation will get better for the PS4, but it's already somewhat optimised as it is pretty standard PC hardware.

Cell processor on ps3 looked like better and faster technology, but it ment jack **** in the end. Only sony's Studios managed to get some sort of better performance, but who knows what could they have achieved if they would be working with better/friendlier to code hardware in the first place?

It is poorly utilised now, but at the same time it is reported to have a lot of negatives points, which holds system back.

You "Can polish a turd" if you put a lot of working hours in to it, but at the same time you can polish a material, which is a lot easier to polish to get same effects by using a lot less effort and time. Saved time gives you ability to polish more objects or do additional stuff.

Now dont take it as xbox one - turd. Thats not what I am saying.

Just because it is PC hardware does not mean it is already optimised. Nope its not, in fact it should be even less optimised then a proper console hardware people worked on already. Keep in mind a lot of PC games need more Raw hardware power to have same effect then Console can do. The reason is that PC hardware changes so fast and optimisation is just not an priority. Whats the point optimising the living bejaysus out of something like gtx 560 GPU, when it will be replaced 1 year down the line with newer, cheaper and more powerful GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I don't know whether this is true. Tomb Raider should have been easier to port to the XBone than the PS4 from the PC version since they both use the same API wherease with the PS4 you need to translate it to the PS4's api. As such the XBone should have been better optimized for the port, instead we got a game with much lower FPS and slightly muddier graphics. If MS do decide to allow developers to use the GPU power reserved for the kinect for gaming, that could help alleviate some of the XBones power shortfalls, although I suspect it would be the death knell for the Kinect as a gaming peripheral outside of MS first party stuff.

Cell processor on ps3 looked like better and faster technology, but it ment jack **** in the end. Only sony's Studios managed to get some sort of better performance, but who knows what could they have achieved if they would be working with better/friendlier to code hardware in the first place?

It is poorly utilised now, but at the same time it is reported to have a lot of negatives points, which holds system back.

You "Can polish a turd" if you put a lot of working hours in to it, but at the same time you can polish a material, which is a lot easier to polish to get same effects by using a lot less effort and time. Saved time gives you ability to polish more objects or do additional stuff.

Now dont take it as xbox one - turd. Thats not what I am saying.

Just because it is PC hardware does not mean it is already optimised. Nope its not, in fact it should be even less optimised then a proper console hardware people worked on already. Keep in mind a lot of PC games need more Raw hardware power to have same effect then Console can do. The reason is that PC hardware changes so fast and optimisation is just not an priority. Whats the point optimising the living bejaysus out of something like gtx 560 GPU, when it will be replaced 1 year down the line with newer, cheaper and more powerful GPU.
    sarumite wrote: »
    I don't know whether this is true. Tomb Raider should have been easier to port to the XBone than the PS4 from the PC version since they both use the same API wherease with the PS4 you need to translate it to the PS4's api. As such the XBone should have been better optimized for the port, instead we got a game with much lower FPS and slightly muddier graphics. If MS do decide to allow developers to use the GPU power reserved for the kinect for gaming, that could help alleviate some of the XBones power shortfalls, although I suspect it would be the death knell for the Kinect as a gaming peripheral outside of MS first party stuff.

What I was referring to was how the system used is similar to PC architecture which has been optimised for years. (CPU->RAM+GRAM->HDD)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sarumite wrote: »

The 360 and one are very different. One is power pc based while the other is x86000 based. Also the esRAM set up in a new thing on x86000 based systems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

The one game I would be eager to see is The Order 1886. I dont know when its due out
    I guess after that its Destiny
    Dont have a PS4 but these games might convince me to get one !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Order looks like another gears of war clone with werewolves. Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

So is there much availability of the PS4 in dublin now? I've built up a good whack of credit in CEX (~€500) and want the PS4 but they have both consoles priced at €495, nearly a 100 euro higher than RRP. Supply and demand I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sweetie wrote: »
    So is there much availability of the PS4 in dublin now? I've built up a good whack of credit in CEX (~€500) and want the PS4 but they have both consoles priced at €495, nearly a 100 euro higher than RRP. Supply and demand I presume.

you should be able to get one quite easy now

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Order looks like another gears of war clone with werewolves. Yawn.

Well.... You sow one Cgi trailer and you already made up opinion about it... Sounds legit... :pac:

Well.... You sow one Cgi trailer and you already made up opinion about it... Sounds legit... :pac:

Saw a lot of in game snapshots of it as well. Looks like it's set in the steampunk world of the chest high walls.

Maybe it will be interesting, at the moment it induces a big yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yawning from a few screenshots lol :D

Saw a lot of in game snapshots of it as well. Looks like it's set in the steampunk world of the chest high walls.

Well same way I can say from screenshots about Super Mario 3D world, its just a lot of jumping. Yawn. :pac:

I will hold my judgement until we actually see gameplay footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

To be fair, there's only been a handful of them released to date, and any clips haven't been from the actual game. That said, it IS looking more and more gears-y with each passing day, and that's not good

I'm just excited to see what Ready At Dawn can do with their first proper console game, i'm sure the combat will probably be excellent if nothing else. I'll honestly be surprised if its not one of the better games released this year.

I mean... i think the screenshots look pretty good ! Maybe thats just me tho, not every game should look like Mario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Going for the kill

w3CFKY5.jpg

• Advertisement

Well same way I can say from screenshots about Super Mario 3D world, its just a lot of jumping. Yawn. :pac:

I will hold my judgement until we actually see gameplay footage.

Nope, it's like looking at yet another third person cover based shooter and deciding you've played enough of them.

It might be my initial impression but that's what I think of it so far, it's something I couldn't care less about and it needs to do more than Gears of War with a steampunk reskin to get me to take notice. So far it's failed at that. We'll see but so far if that's the best they can show off then I can't see myself getting excited about it.

It doesn't help that I thought Studio santa monica's last two God of War games were below par and dull. They were pretty but ultimately a massive step back from the fun for GoW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not sure why anyone would ditch their PS3 with PS+ still going strong, just yesterday we got Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Xenji wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone would ditch their PS3 with PS+ still going strong, just yesterday we got Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light free.

Yeah thought it was odd, never seen marketing like this from a console before(heard mobile operators do it). You could just keep your PS3 and buy a PS4, same price.

I wonder what they would do with the PS3's

Nope, it's like looking at yet another third person cover based shooter and deciding you've played enough of them.

It might be my initial impression but that's what I think of it so far, it's something I couldn't care less about and it needs to do more than Gears of War with a steampunk reskin to get me to take notice. So far it's failed at that. We'll see but so far if that's the best they can show off then I can't see myself getting excited about it.

It doesn't help that I thought Studio santa monica's last two God of War games were below par and dull. They were pretty but ultimately a massive step back from the fun for GoW2.

Santa Monica aren't really the developers, i think they have a hand in it.. but its mostly a Ready at Dawn game. Santa Monica's next gen game hasn't been announced yet (Probably God of war 4).

Oopsy my mistake. I quite like Ready at Dawn as a developer but it's still not enough to get me excited. We'll see if they can at least put a twist on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah thought it was odd, never seen marketing like this from a console before(heard mobile operators do it). You could just keep your PS3 and buy a PS4, same price.

I wonder what they would do with the PS3's

Pile them up in a square surrounded by banners with the supreme ruler, Bill Gates on them and then set them on fire while chanting 'Xbox macht frei'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pile them up in a square surrounded by banners with the supreme ruler, Bill Gates on them and then set them on fire while chanting 'Xbox macht frei'

Don't all thread eventually degrade to the point someone makes a fascist/Nazi reference?
    Are we there yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Going for the kill

w3CFKY5.jpg

Ha, no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

keep your PS3 and buy a PS4, same price

that should actually be sony's official response, followed by some :rolleyes: and :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't all thread eventually degrade to the point someone makes a fascist/Nazi reference?
    Are we there yet?

Not just yet. Wait until Robert DeNiro finishes his game of Titanfall.

meh.ro11385.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement