Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

theteal wrote: »
    that should actually be sony's official response, followed by some :rolleyes: and :confused:

Yeah, it's a total headscratcher that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't all thread eventually degrade to the point someone makes a fascist/Nazi reference?
    Are we there yet?

Yeah the thread is supposed to be deemed dead once it is reduced to that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Godwin's Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah the thread is supposed to be deemed dead once it is reduced to that

Nah, Godwin's law is just a tool to try and help cut down on inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons but let's be honest, we're talking about Microsoft here… :)

(Just in case anyone is getting incensed, I was knowingly invoking Godwin's Law and it was never said in anything but jest. Terms and Conditions apply. Typical APR is 8.6%. Price quoted is based on one lady driver from Louth.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nah, Godwin's law is just a tool to try and help cut down on inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons but let's be honest, we're talking about Microsoft here… :)

(Just in case anyone is getting incensed, I was knowingly invoking Godwin's Law and it was never said in anything but jest. Terms and Conditions apply. Typical APR is 8.6%. Price quoted is based on one lady driver from Louth.)

Can I get a quote please, my insurance is up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tell you what else is going to play a factor in people's decisions - Playstation +. I don't have an Xbox One or PS4 yet but I do know that, because of having a PS+ subscription, then if I do go for the PS4 there's already a growing library of games waiting there for me because I'm been adding every PS4 game that goes to PS+ to my account. It's Outlast next and while they're all 'indie games' there's some real quality just waiting there in the likes of Resogun and Don't Starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

RasTa wrote: »
    Going for the kill

w3CFKY5.jpg

That looked really familiar to me... and then I realised.

DerekKeating.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

theteal wrote: »
    that should actually be sony's official response, followed by some :rolleyes: and :confused:

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Tell you what else is going to play a factor in people's decisions - Playstation +. I don't have an Xbox One or PS4 yet but I do know that, because of having a PS+ subscription, then if I do go for the PS4 there's already a growing library of games waiting there for me because I'm been adding every PS4 game that goes to PS+ to my account. It's Outlast next and while they're all 'indie games' there's some real quality just waiting there in the likes of Resogun and Don't Starve.

While I think PlayStation Plus is a great service I believe many people do not realise that they do not own any of these "Free" games. Once you do not renew your subscription your games are gone. its more like a rental service. One of the benefits of Xbox live's Games with Gold is that you actually own the game and can play it even after your Xbox Live subscription is up. There are pros and cons to each service.

I am still surprised at how easy it was for Sony to start getting people to pay for a service that was 100% free. For years it seemed the biggest benefit of being on PS3 was that the multiplayer was free, Sony users proudly let all us Xbox heads know about it, again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

While I think PlayStation Plus is a great service I believe many people do not realise that they do not own any of these "Free" games. Once you do not renew your subscription your games are gone. its more like a rental service. One of the benefits of Xbox live's Games with Gold is that you actually own the game and can play it even after your Xbox Live subscription is up. There are pros and cons to each service.

I am still surprised at how easy it was for Sony to start getting people to pay for a service that was 100% free. For years it seemed the biggest benefit of being on PS3 was that the multiplayer was free, Sony users proudly let all us Xbox heads know about it, again and again.

With value like that why would you stop?
    Plus with PS+ being mandatory for online, you'd keep them anyway and it's an added touch to payed online.

You need Live to do everything with an xbox, even to watch netflix, so I don't really see the argument against it. I'd rather have rentals than 5+ year old games I could keep that would probably be cheaper to buy individually than the €50 sub for live.

It's annoying having to pay for online, it should be free, but since so many xbox users didn't mind doing it for years why not them too they thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

You used to not get free games with the Xbox gold service. That was brought in to compete with the PS+ service as the PS3 began outselling the 360.

As for being forced to pay to go online (as I believe is necessary on the PS4), I'm still dead set against it, even though I have a PS+ service. This is because kids or poor college students probably wont be able to afford the subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Most people have no issues paying €50 a year for the quality of games you get in return, even if you are just renting them, so far this year you have had the likes of Borderlands 2, DmC, Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light on the PS3 for free, Games with Gold looks very paltry in comparison, even more so when you also take into account the free PS4 games and Vita games as well.

Most people had no issues with the multiplayer costing money now, as most already had PS+, if they charged people extra on top of their subscription people would of been up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

The Xbox 360 was the best console of the last generation and it took the PS3 a long time to catch up.

Despite the Red Ring of Death disaster the one year head start Microsoft was handed last generation put the Xbox 360 ahead in every way.

This generation the two consoles launched head to head Sony really has the vibe with them at the moment.

Having said all of the above the two new consoles have one thing in common having sampled the two.

There are no great games yet on either platform.

Froza 5 is no masterpiece nor is Killzone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feck, I can get Bioshock Infinite for free but I completed it during the summer on the 360 before trading it in!!
    Noooo!
    I'm really after the new single player DLC though, any excuse to dive back into that world again, just a pity it's Rapture and not Columbia!

I don't know one person who subscribes to PsPlus that cares that the games don't belong to them. As Redzer said:
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    With value like that why would you stop?

Shouldn't be that surpising, people are being rewarded with loads of games to play every month, ans PSN has improved so much.

This is pretty much the only time I've ever seen someone try to find faults with PSPlus.

Have you seen the games they offer? Enjoy Gears of War bro

I can't believe I almost bought Metro Last Light the other day. And I also wanted Bioshock Infinite again, as I've missed it since trading. Unreal service. No brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are no great games yet on either platform.

Resogun is a great game.

Only on here, by one or maybe 2 posters would they compare games with gold with PS+.

The mind boggles

Resogun is a great game.

Remember Wipeout HD on PS3 give us something like that on PS4 Sony.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember Wipeout HD on PS3 give us something like that on PS4 Sony.

Sony closed down studio Liverpool and for that I'll never forgive them.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I thought the studio was back under a different name?

I'll have a quick look..

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't know one person who subscribes to PsPlus that cares that the games don't belong to them. As Redzer said:

Shouldn't be that surpising, people are being rewarded with loads of games to play every month, ans PSN has improved so much.

This is pretty much the only time I've ever seen someone try to find faults with PSPlus.

Just weighing up logical pros and cons of both online services, you'd swear I called someones new born baby ugly the way Sony people go on here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Just weighing up logical pros and cons of both online services, you'd swear I called someones new born baby ugly the way Sony people go on here. :D

No you're not, you're just pointing out the cons of the PS+ service and conflating them with some of the cons of the XBL service.

I honestly think you get very little for your XBL service over your PS+ service. The way MS prices games in their online store also drives me to distraction.

I honestly think you get very little for your XBL service over your PS+ service. The way MS prices games in their online store also drives me to distraction.

I agree.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

The online component for PS3 is still free. The people letting 'xbox heads' know about free online were PS3 owners who still get free online so I really don't know what your point is?

Yeah, I noticed you were saying it was pros and cons, alright. Cons for PS Plus and Pros for Xbox. You're just getting called out on your biased post, so no point shifting blame onto 'Sony people".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed you were saying it was pros and cons, alright. Cons for PS Plus and Pros for Xbox. You're just getting called out on your biased post, so no point shifting blame onto 'Sony people".

Right enough of this before it gets out of hand. There was no bias in his post at all and it's starting to get personal.

• Advertisement

There was no bias in his post at all and it's starting to get personal.

I disagree about the bias, and it is in absolutely no way getting personal. Consider it dropped, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement