Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Grayditch wrote: »
    I disagree about the bias, and it is in absolutely no way getting personal. Consider it dropped, though.

It is getting personal and I am not dropping it.:mad:

The Megadrive is the better console and I am sure Sega will follow it up with something even better.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am always amazed by the value of PS+ but I'll tell you who hates it more than Microsoft... Gamestop!
    Imagine all the lonely copies of Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me, Xcom and the rest just sitting there with outlandish sums stuck to them, while the subscribers to Sonys service get them throw in.
    And, yes, I know they are only there for as long as you subscribe and I used to have a problem with that but, if I love them that much I'll be buying them at some point, for the collection, and if collecting isn't your thing then you just can't lose with the deal, less than the price of a full price game a year and you get access to a decent library of games for your money, and not stinky ones either.
    Must be costing Sony a fortune!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Megadrive is the better console and I am sure Sega will follow it up with something even better.;)

Sega followed it up with disappointment and misery, not to mention never making a decent Sonic game again.
    (I did enjoy the Saturn and DC, but the ultimate lack of a full exploration of what they could do and the publics apathy, well they died in a hole, a hole filled with fire, and misery.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am always amazed by the value of PS+ but I'll tell you who hates it more than Microsoft... Gamestop!
    Imagine all the lonely copies of Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me, Xcom and the rest just sitting there with outlandish sums stuck to them, while the subscribers to Sonys service get them throw in.

Yep. They usually reduce them a little, but more and more people are copping into Plus now.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And, yes, I know they are only there for as long as you subscribe

Something I've done a few times if I didn't have the 50 quid for the year is just get the once month top up for 7 quid. Sometimes the discounts are amazing, and you get to keep those even after Ps Plus runs out.

The only problem seems to be space...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

Destiny is going to be cross platform right? Its a Bungie game if I recall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RasTa wrote: »
    Only on here, by one or maybe 2 posters would they compare games with gold with PS+.

The mind boggles

Out of curiosity, what do Xbox give people in comparison to PS Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Out of curiosity, what do Xbox give people in comparison to PS Plus

I think this is the full list of games that has been given out so far.

https://www.gamepointsnow.com/blog/xbox-games-with-gold-full-list/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

While I think PlayStation Plus is a great service I believe many people do not realise that they do not own any of these "Free" games. Once you do not renew your subscription your games are gone. its more like a rental service. One of the benefits of Xbox live's Games with Gold is that you actually own the game and can play it even after your Xbox Live subscription is up. There are pros and cons to each service.

I am still surprised at how easy it was for Sony to start getting people to pay for a service that was 100% free. For years it seemed the biggest benefit of being on PS3 was that the multiplayer was free, Sony users proudly let all us Xbox heads know about it, again and again.

Once someone signs up for PS+ they're never going to leave it, so I don't think they're in any danger of losing their games to be perfectly honest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks woeful when you compare it to this http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/ps3-discussion/198601-list-eu-playstation-plus-igc-free-games.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I know it's only early days for it but that's not a very inspiring looking list, is it?
    Considering I get at 4 games a month with my PS3 and PS Vita and I can purchase the PS4 games to use when I pick up the console and it's not going to cost me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Xenji wrote: »

It certainly does, PS+ is streets ahead in terms of the games it offers. And if you own multiple Sony platforms it's really a no brainer.

I already have Resogun and Don't Starve in my download queue and I don't even own a PS4 yet. Gotta have them in my history for when I pick one up later on in the year :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Destiny is going to be cross platform right? Its a Bungie game if I recall

Yep its going to be across both old and new gen as far as I know. Looks like it could be epic. Bit of a wait though, September I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't think I'll ever get a Vita but if I do I'll have about 30 games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I start every game at least once just to have the 0% on my trophy list to keep track, if it wasn't for that I wound't know what I've got still to play (it's a lot).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games for gold needs to do better than offering games you can get for 2.50 in the local cash converters. Is there even any xboxone content offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Games for gold needs to do better than offering games you can get for 2.50 in the local cash converters. Is there even any xboxone content offered?

Not sure they should bother at all, Plus made PlayStation owners willing to pay for the subscription and allowed the PS4 to introduce paid online play but it doesn't offer much benefit to MS. While MS could paid out to match it they don't have the incentive with Live being so accepted, and I feel that Plus will now offer the same value on PS4 as it did on PS3 especially at this early stage in the console.

The PS users are now fine with the sub and while Sony likely won't remove the "free" games ever I think that as we move further into the new generation the last gen library will be available to them for cheaper and the PS4 games offered will generally be either games that either cheaper/indie or there to promote DLC/sequels/first-party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Retr0gamer wrote: »

games for gold is a bonus, you don't buy gold membership expecting free games
    where as with ps+ you do(on ps3) while ps+ is no doubt brilliant I'd say it costs sony millions probably billions just too support it for giving away so many decent games for rent.
    theirs no way 1 year sub for ps+ covers the cost of a years worth of free newish games.
    I'm not dissing ps+ I'm just wondering how long it can last, hopefully forever, but lets be realistic, nothing lasts forever and whenever its gone (hopefully not while I'm alive:D) their will be plenty of people moaning thats it gone

I was on the ps forum the other day and one guy made a thread moaning about only getting one free game for ps+ on the ps4, granted hes probably one in a million to moan over that but seriously like:pac:

I'm all for ps+ but it ain't gonna last forever, it surely costs too much too upkeep it, unless they have some sort of deal with every developer

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    gI'd say it costs sony millions probably billions just too support it for giving away so many decent games for rent.
    theirs no way 1 year sub for ps+ covers the cost of a years worth of free newish games.
    I'm not dissing ps+ I'm just wondering how long it can last, hopefully forever,

my knowledge of how it works is thusly:

games scoring over 70% on metacritic are the starting pot
    this pot is then reduced to games with DLC available
    this pot is further reduced based on whether the game is a fast or slow burner on sales (slow burners will not be included in most cases)

developers are then invited to potentially offer their game on the service in a bid to sell DLC for a game that is no longer selling well at retail. They opt in or out, but Sony pays them nothing for it beyond what they make as their usual cut of DLC sales

tl;dr: it's costing sony nothing but bandwidth

COYVB wrote: »

this pot is further reduced based on whether the game is a fast or slow burner on sales (slow burners will not be included in most cases)

developers are then invited to potentially offer their game on the service in a bid to sell DLC for a game that is no longer selling well at retail. They opt in or out, but Sony pays them nothing for it beyond what they make as their usual cut of DLC sales

that would make much more sense business wise , but is their any article on this? if that was the case surely MS would have no problem introducing the same thing even developers offering MS their games once dlc is normal price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Not sure how it works... but i am sure it doesn't cost them "Billions" lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

mostly true...but sony are paying them a modest fee, or perhaps a larger overall deal for other games from the publishers catalog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

The poll is pretty definitive at this point....75% say the PS4 is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

jenjenten wrote: »
    The poll is pretty definitive at this point....75% say the PS4 is better.

Add in terms of sales that'#s the ratio the PS4 is outselling the One across the EU.

But on the PS plus lads get on it asap if you haven't this month I got Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light for free. What a bargain considering it would be value for money if I paid 50$ a month never mind a bloody year!

Magill wrote: »
    Not sure how it works... but i am sure it doesn't cost them "Billions" lol...

maybe not billions but their has been no discussion on how they can do it
    Not surprized their not telling us as they don't want their competitors knowing
    but its interesting too have some theory's on it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

wow what a bargain for Sony. Genius idea whoever game up with it. Like I would never have bought metro last light even though after checking reviews it's a top notch game. But I'll be buying the discounted DLC that comes with it so it's money for the game makers that they would nevr have got.

I think metro sold really badly too which is a shame if the reviews are to be believed. At least a lot of people will get to enjoy the game who might never have bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've often bought DLC for Plus games.

This month, I gotta say, they've really outdone themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Metro was a game that I kept saying to myself I should get, but never got around to it, been playing it since it came on PS+ yesterday and am quite enjoying it to the extent I got the dlc, I probably never would of got around to it otherwise given my backlog if it had not came out on PS+.

jenjenten wrote: »
    mostly true...but sony are paying them a modest fee, or perhaps a larger overall deal for other games from the publishers catalog.

They're definitely not paying ALL of them a fee, perhaps the bigger ones. I assume it's not much in that case anyway - or maybe they're waiving their cut of DLC sales to encourage participation. That's just a guess though, the few people who know better than I who I've spoken to reckoned Sony paid nothing, but that may simply have been the case in their own particular cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Going for the kill

w3CFKY5.jpg
    genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

RkuIRpI.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement