Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Titan fall doesn't appeal to me since I found out it was online MP only , I can see why it would appeal to those interested in multiplayer but part of me believes there will be a lot of negativity towards it 2 or 3 months post release and even the CoD people won't stick around too long.

Not based on anything just a feeling I have around it's hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

calex71 wrote: »
    Titan fall doesn't appeal to me since I found out it was online MP only , I can see why it would appeal to those interested in multiplayer but part of me believes there will be a lot of negativity towards it 2 or 3 months post release and even the CoD people won't stick around too long.

Not based on anything just a feeling I have around it's hype.

It's going to be a sh1tshow when it launches

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RasTa wrote: »
    Most people who care about Titanfall are doing their Junior Cert

That's just daft.

A new franchise from the people that redefined the online FPS shooter during the last generation, that created the blueprint which is still being followed today, is a huge deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's just daft.

A new franchise from the people that redefined the online FPS shooter during the last generation, that created the blueprint which is still being followed today, is a huge deal.

It is on paper, and pre-release, but it's not going to come close to living up to expectations. I'll wager the first death threat to a respawn developer comes within 48 hours of launch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

COYVB wrote: »
    It is on paper, and pre-release, but it's not going to come close to living up to expectations. I'll wager the first death threat to a respawn developer comes within 48 hours of launch
    Any hyped game will be similar in that regard. Lots of people will buy it on the hype, this has the necessary condition of lots of people who'll buy it for whom it really isn't their cup of tea. Lots of people here, including myself aren't looking to Titanfall as its multiplayer only.

Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who'd not realise, 'hm maybe multiplayer only not being my thing would make Titanfall a less than ideal choice'. We probably will not see that here, but I'm sure I'll see it elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Maybe I'm just silly, but I would never buy a game that relied solely on its multiplayer for entertainment. That doesn't apply just to titanfall, see also brink and MAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I absolutely loved MAG. 256 players and it actually worked. Flawed, but I had so much fun with that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

cloud493 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just silly, but I would never buy a game that relied solely on its multiplayer for entertainment. That doesn't apply just to titanfall, see also brink and MAG.

I would though, online multiplayer is pretty much all I play these whether it be fifa or halo. I lose interest in single player modes very quickly so I suppose it's horses for courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    I absolutely loved MAG. 256 players and it actually worked. Flawed, but I had so much fun with that game.

I actually liked MAG too. I dont know how, but it worked and it had that sense on big 256 people battle. I wish they would bring something updated for ps4 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

is this really what the xbox 1 has come to, all hopes pinned on one game that has no story or AI?

• Advertisement

I actually liked MAG too. I dont know how, but it worked and it had that sense on big 256 people battle. I wish they would bring something updated for ps4 again.

Zipper are dead I'm afraid, which is a shame, cause Unit 13 is a great game for the Vita, they were a good developer. Bad luck launching that Socom online only game the same week PSN went down for weeks. I'm hoping Planetside 2 will feel like MAG did in the ways I want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

is this really what the xbox 1 has come to, all hopes pinned on one game that has no story or AI?

Not that I think it matters but Titanfall has both, via Campaign Multiplayer and bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

They do have other games coming - ones that I either know are not on my radar (Sunset Overdrive), need to show more (Quantum Break, new Gears which will have to prove there is a point in going on with the franchise), and ones I reckon I'll want (D4, Halo 5).

Pretty sure more games have been announced that are exclusive, but if they don't come to mind, they obviously need to either show more to prove themselves or I already know I'm not interested.

I mean, the PS4 has: Uncharted (though honestly I got bored during 3 and stopped playing), it'll get Tales games which I'll get... And uh... So, really, both systems need to show what other stuff are in the works. So, E3, then.

Edit: The Order might be good, might be crap. Need to see more on it.

Infamous Second Son can't come quick enough. I finished AC Black Flag, but I guess I can play Metro and stuff on PS3 until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Infamous and Thief are the two next big titles out end of Feb and March. Still have memories of the Cradle level in Thief 3, scared the bejasus out of me, great tension and atmosphere in it, that level alone was worth the price of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually hope Titanfall is a great game (even if I'll only likely play the lowly 360 version). I'm actually impressed they've been brave enough to focus on multiplayer - look at how many predominantly multiplayer games have wasted a mind-boggling amount of money and resources on pointless single player modes (Battlefield, Call of Duty). Good on them focusing on where the vast, vast majority of player time is going to spent. Battlefield 4 is the perfect example - incredible amounts of money spent on a big, epic campaign mode that is utterly inane and dull. And multiplayer, which 99% of players bought the game for, was released barely functional. Imagine the resources on that painfully mediocre campaign mode had been put into perfecting the MP instead.

And if the game best suits 6 vs 6 and bots, well then brilliant, good to know they're going with their gut. Honestly, I personally welcome smaller scale, more intense multiplayer games alongside the big, sprawling warfare ones - there is no 'one size fits all' formula, and I hope having bot AI will make it a more accessible experience overall.

I'm not the biggest fan of multiplayer shooters, and no matter what I'll be waiting to hear the response to the game before committing - especially since the 360 version is still an unknown quantity, and its release coincides with a certain sequel. But a lot of creative decisions I've heard concerning Titanfall endear it to me rather than turn me off. I still don't think it will be a paradigm shifting system seller, but I hope it's a lot of fun. As much as the increasing staleness of CoD has frustrated and its formula endlessly repeated, Modern Warfare was a fantastic game, and curious to see what the team behind it can do with a new setting and property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Infamous and Thief are the two next big titles out end of Feb and March. Still have memories of the Cradle level in Thief 3, scared the bejasus out of me, great tension and atmosphere in it, that level alone was worth the price of the game.

I am very wary about Thief, even up till this month the game was in a bit of chaos, things being taken out, others fighting to have the things kept in, the game mechanics being changed constantly and the Eidos Montreal staff not being able to agree on much. Hopefully it will end up being a great game, but I am not gonna get it on launch till I have heard more peoples impressions of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Uncharted 2 was 5vs5 and it was very fun and simple -though there was no mechs, kill streaks and that stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 was 5vs5 and it was very fun and simple -though there was no mechs, kill streaks and that stuff going on.

Uncharted 2 wasn't a solely multiplayer game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

You can't beat a single player game experience, demon souls, dark souls, uncharted, the last of us, god of war, fallout, oblivion, to name a few...

• Advertisement

I like when games have both good MP and SP. I like to get my money's worth. If games absolutely excel in one or the other, it's great, obviously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There has to be room for everyone one, the single player campaign fans like me and those who actually have mates :(

Titanfall and Destiny at least, are going to let me play them without investing in the next gen just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    You can't beat a single player game experience, demon souls, dark souls, uncharted, the last of us, god of war, fallout, oblivion, to name a few...
    Im forcing myself to do Fifa 14 sections just to get a god dam trophy when I am Im happy enough to do offline career :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

ziggyman17 wrote: »

ToCZPpQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I rather games soley dedicated to one or the other. They're usually the best of their types imo... All the best mp games have no single player, at least all my favorite ones (CS, WoW, League of Legends, TF2 etc). I guess its more common for good sp games to have mp attached tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nazzu wrote: »
    I think the whole multiplayer thing has been blown out of proportion, I have not yet once played online with my Xbox One and none of my friends are interested in online either, they all still play the likes of Guild Wars 2 and Warcraft or any FPS games on PC, FPS games and the online community really have a bad rap and most look upon them as the simpletons of gaming, which I find true and I am not trolling, the blind faith of the One here is embarrassing.

I am a Xbox owner and have **** all interest in Titanfall and I wish people would shut up about it and stop saying it is the saving grace of the console, what about people who have no interest in FPS games and just want quality new IP's, not a game that has been around for years and all of a sudden they decide to add Mechs in, honestly get your fanboy blinkers off and understand as gamers we are getting dicked about, we really have no real gamers posting here about the widespread issues the One is going through, only a bunch of sheep who just respond with just Titanfall, Titanfall and hopefully Titanfail in the end, never put all your eggs in one basket, it will be the One's undoing.
    I am TitanSheep.

Icelandic_sheep_summer_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Nazzu wrote: »
    I think the whole multiplayer thing has been blown out of proportion, I have not yet once played online with my Xbox One and none of my friends are interested in online either, they all still play the likes of Guild Wars 2 and Warcraft or any FPS games on PC, FPS games and the online community really have a bad rap and most look upon them as the simpletons of gaming, which I find true and I am not trolling, the blind faith of the One here is embarrassing.

I am a Xbox owner and have **** all interest in Titanfall and I wish people would shut up about it and stop saying it is the saving grace of the console, what about people who have no interest in FPS games and just want quality new IP's, not a game that has been around for years and all of a sudden they decide to add Mechs in, honestly get your fanboy blinkers off and understand as gamers we are getting dicked about, we really have no real gamers posting here about the widespread issues the One is going through, only a bunch of sheep who just respond with just Titanfall, Titanfall and hopefully Titanfail in the end, never put all your eggs in one basket, it will be the One's undoing.

In fairness the XboxOne and PS4 will both come up trumps eventually when it comes to releasing its IP.

As a current 360 owner who's goin to move to Sonys PS4 this time round for the remote play function I'm going to miss the likes of the new Halo and Gears of War. Both of those will be stunning I would imagine when they arrive. The problem is when will they arrive?

Titanfall wouldn't do it for me either. I really don't get the hype.

It's early days yet though as I say. I wouldn't panic.

I would suggest in the meantime for some great quality 1player games grab yourself a Wii U. There's a strong line up of games there currently unlike the xboxone or ps4 with more on the way early this year.

45535130.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"I'm not trolling but... simpletons, fanboys, sheep"

Enough of this sort of language. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its probably dangerous pouring so many hopes into one game, better to be unknown and turn out to be fantastic, Katamari Damacy or Flower, then be widely heralded but have compromises that disappoint, Mass Effect 3, GTAIV.

Also worrying is its the only upcoming release that is being used as the great hope for the Xbox One, so if single player is your thing you're right out of options.

Halo 5 is the big one I'll have to own a Xbox One for, and that's a traditional September launch isn't it? Plenty of time then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement