Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

COYVB wrote: »
    Japan is the third largest behind Europe and North America AFAIK

And aside from Cave shooter fans they really don't like the Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,370 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, I had heard Vgcharts was solid enough. I just searched "ps4, xbox one, wii u sales" on Google and that was the first VGCharts link that appeared.

They're actually very unreliable. NPD would be the most reliable but you have to pay for them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

These are the stats I've been keeping an eye on, I found them quoted in a couple of magazines but not sure where they are getting their figures from:

http://www.insiderp.com/next-gen-sales-race.html

I think the big positive from this generation is that both the Xbox and the ps4 are both doing well. Xbox is significantly behind, but there's no way you can't call their launch a success in its own right. Xbox obviously being carried by the US and has taken a battering in the EU, but only available in 14 countries as opposed to PS4's 48.

I'm still on the fence. I like the look of remote play on the vita, that's about the only "next-gen" feature you can say about the PS4. but then if you listen to everyone arguing about price, if I'm taking that as a reason to buy the PS4 then it works out more expensive than the Xbox. there's definitely been some very clever marketing done by Sony to make the value per dollar look better than it is. I still see more value in the Xbox, but there's uncertainty over whether Kinect games will reach their potential.

have to say, this isn't the best place to come for advice. Started off well but as per usual it comes down to PS4 has better graphics and is cheaper. It's not that black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think people tried to help as best they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What is so next-gen about the kinect anyway? It was out on their previous console and a failure. What makes you think it will succeed this time?

You still have to buy batteries for the control pad. Isn't that the same as their first console?

If you're buying the Xbox one just because of the kinect then you have made the wrong decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

wrt40 wrote: »
    Started off well but as per usual it comes down to PS4 has better graphics and is cheaper. It's not that black and white.

Do you not think there might be a reason why that's the normal end game for these discussions? Perhaps because the PS4 is more powerful and costs less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well it was like that with the PS3 as well this long into it's lifespan. It seemed a total disaster with third party ports being heavily downgraded and the best first party game, Resistance, looking terrible, like an average upscaled PS2 game. Too early to call it at this stage.

I don't think so.

I've already agreed that XBox took the lead regarding game performance but as I've said, the PS3 had other advantages from the off such as Blu-ray, Linux support (for a while) and hardware less prone to failure.

So one more time, and a genuine question, what does the One offer at the outset of this generation that is unique or is an advantage over the PS4?
    (I think it's been agreed thus far that most people don't count Kinect)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Started off well but as per usual it comes down to PS4 has better graphics and is cheaper. It's not that black and white.

In fairness, these are two of the three biggest factors for the vast majority of gamers when it comes to deciding which console to buy. The other being; which games are available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

Xbox has such a lovely control this days.

Like, the controller? It's a great controller.

• Advertisement

Do you not think there might be a reason why that's the normal end game for these discussions? Perhaps because the PS4 is more powerful and costs less?

As I've already said, the Xbox gives more. I came on trying to find out if there was anything else to the PS4 and the conclusion is there isn't. More power is not a good enough reason for me, but I can understand why it is to most particularly the more hard core gamer who would be more prevalent at this early stage. Saying its cheaper is misleading because it's not comparing like with like. I would want something more for my money and the only feature that interests me is remote play with the Vita, which bumps the price up by 170-200 euro, making it the more expensive console for my needs.

I'm not writing off either. At the moment the games list interests me more on the PS4 and ultimately that's what matters. Titanfall looks like the same old same to me. But then many, many games do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

Yes I meant the controller :p

I think people tried to help as best they could.

Didn't mean to come across disrespectful, I appreciate everyones input. But I thought I was missing something, that there was something more to it. But there isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

On seriousness, what does the Xbox offer that the PS4 doesn't?

TV?

Xbox has such a lovely control this days.
    not just he controller, but control in general with Kinect and voice commands. They've taken it a step further all round.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    On seriousness, what does the Xbox offer that the PS4 doesn't?

TV?

I've already outlined what I like about it a few pages back.

As I've already said, the Xbox gives more. I came on trying to find out if there was anything else to the PS4 and the conclusion is there isn't. More power is not a good enough reason for me, but I can understand why it is to most particularly the more hard core gamer who would be more prevalent at this early stage. Saying its cheaper is misleading because it's not comparing like with like. I would want something more for my money and the only feature that interests me is remote play with the Vita, which bumps the price up by 170-200 euro, making it the more expensive console for my needs.

I'm not writing off either. At the moment the games list interests me more on the PS4 and ultimately that's what matters. Titanfall looks like the same old same to me. But then many, many games do these days.

I might as well be talking to a brick wall here but adding the Vita is a huge LOL.

You came on here expecting people to tell you what's so great about the xbox, you still haven't said why it gives you more and are getting annoyed because nobody is saying to buy an Xbox.

I'd love to know what games you will be buying when you do purchase it.

With respect, I think you're in a minority with what you want. Some of my most die hard Xbox friends cite different exclusives due for release and the fact that they just like Xbox ways, so to speak, as reasons they got their Xbox One, but none of them and I mean this, from the lads I know give a rats about Kinect.

You won't go wrong getting the XBO, but for Kinect... I dunno.

RasTa wrote: »
    I might as well be talking to a brick wall here but adding the Vita is a huge LOL.

You came on here expecting people to tell you what's so great about the xbox, you still haven't said why it gives you more and are getting annoyed because nobody is saying to buy an Xbox.

I'd love to know what games you will be buying when you do purchase it.
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I came on asking about what is great about the PS4, check back on my posts you'll see I ask that very specific question.

I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed. I haven't bought either console. I wanted to find out more about both consoles.

What do you care what games I buy? I might buy some Kinect games, that okay with you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sin0city wrote: »
    I don't think so.

I've already agreed that XBox took the lead regarding game performance but as I've said, the PS3 had other advantages from the off such as Blu-ray, Linux support (for a while) and hardware less prone to failure.

So one more time, and a genuine question, what does the One offer at the outset of this generation that is unique or is an advantage over the PS4?
    (I think it's been agreed thus far that most people don't count Kinect)

Ah now, in fairness I think every aspect of the two consoles had been explored on this lengthy post, it just needs to be read over to see it all.

The Kinect is not a selling point, given how disappointing it was in its first iteration they'll have to do some awesome stuff with it to make it anything other than an albatross.
    The second screen feature of the PS4 is nice but it can't be The Reason someone selects the PS4, and being 20% cheaper and more powerful than the your competitors is a pretty compelling reason to buy one.
    Good sense would dictate wait a year post launch then get a PS4 or Xbox One, if you can't wait then you take the chance and have to be the decision on the best information available.
    Right now that is that the PS4 if the superior machine.
    It's up to Ms to prove different.

but none of them and I mean this, from the lads I know give a rats about Kinect.
    I'm aware of that. Any of them have a family to consider?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The second screen feature of the PS4 is nice but it can't be The Reason someone selects the PS4,

I still think it's s pretty big draw if the person already owns a Vita, though, speaking from personal experience :)

As I've already said, the Xbox gives more.

Gives more what though? You seem to be dead set on convincing yourself the Xbox One is better without actually having any reasons why, beyond vague "kinect might be great" type answers followed by "sure if they disable kinect it'll be more powerful"

I've one of each personally, and one of each in work. The Xbox offers NOTHING more than the PS4. I get free games for both, and free services for both, and I still rarely turn the XBO on. Surely that speaks volumes?

What do you care what games I buy? I might buy some Kinect games, that okay with you?

There you go getting snotty again. I've went through all your posts and you mention kinect in almost every single one.

So enjoy your xbox.

not just he controller, but control in general with Kinect and voice commands. They've taken it a step further all round.

This has been covered before, the PS4 does the same things on the voice control front, and if you're really bothered, on the motion control front. So does the PS3. So does the Xbox 360

Yep. Two of whom said their kids did not play the first Kinect much. I'm pretty sure they would have bought it without the Kinect if possible.

The 3Ds won in one of the households and in the other, the dad bought the kids a trampoline when he got his One. Guilt free gaming.

Gives more what though? You seem to be dead set on convincing yourself the Xbox One is better without actually having any reasons why, beyond vague "kinect might be great" type answers followed by "sure if they disable kinect it'll be more powerful"

I've one of each personally, and one of each in work. The Xbox offers NOTHING more than the PS4. I get free games for both, and free services for both, and I still rarely turn the XBO on. Surely that speaks volumes?

The problem is I'm taking advice from PS fans. nothing wrong with that, its just the wrong people to be asking for a unbiased opinion.

That's fine, I'll take it on board all the same. PS4 is better graphics and is cheaper. Got it. I'm still not convinced though so I'll see. Maybe I will get a PS4 based on the games, I don't know yet. I know I'm in the minority with what I'm looking from in a console too, so I don't think there is anyone really who can give me good advice. at the end of the day it's no big deal what I choose really. I just thought it'd be nice to research and pick the best one for me.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I own a ps4 and here is the dirty lil.secret .
    It is a step back.from the ps3 3 steps in fact.

While ms were being kicked in the face by Sony about always on and second hand games trading. Sony were all the while blind siding ps4 buyers and obscuring their own agendas.

Ps4 is now a fully subscription machine. To play games online you need to subscribe. You can no longer watch YouTube or stream movies play music on your ps4. Sony now have "music unlimited" and a lot of other subscription services in the pipeline and it Is only going to get worse.

I have mailed Sony ceo and my reply to these questions were and I quote "........." The latest patch for the ps4 was literally to sell expensive Sony headsets. This says it all.

As long as people don't complain Sony are going go further. Basically the ps3 is more next gen than ps4 apart from the graphics. And without Microsoft and x boxs competition Sony will be bending you over a barrel till your wallet falls out and leave you there crying rape. This is fact.

Now you can say "i only want it for games" but a lot of people used their ps3s for a lot of stuff and only became aware of the ps4 New subscription only ways after buying.the people that blindly say who cares I love ps, are the reason Sony have not done a Uturn. They are holding out and seeing how much of a backlash there is. Essentially we are being offered less for more money. And anyone that can't see that is exactly the reason why they're doing it.

• Advertisement

Come on be honest now, I've taken a look back on your posts and you were never going to give the Xbox a fair judegement from the outset. "It'll be sitting in the office gather dust" or something along those lines.

The problem is I'm taking advice from PS fans. nothing wrong with that, its just the wrong people to be asking for a unbiased opinion.

That's fine, I'll take it on board all the same. PS4 is better graphics and is cheaper. Got it. I'm still not convinced though so I'll see. Maybe I will get a PS4 based on the games, I don't know yet. I know I'm in the minority with what I'm looking from in a console too, so I don't think there is anyone really who can give me good advice. at the end of the day it's no big deal what I choose really. I just thought it'd be nice to research and pick the best one for me.

Cheers lads.

I never said it WILL be, I said it IS. I've had both since launch at home and in the office. I'm not a PS fan, it's not in my professional interests to be a fan of any one company over another. You asked for unbiased opinion, and I gave you one as a games journalist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement