Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

RasTa wrote: »

It's also slating the functionality of the Xbox fitness

TBF, he just makes one fleeting comment about it not working great for him. I think it's one of the only good features about Kinect and it works well for me.

Voice commands got old quickly for navigating the OS, but were well implemented in the 2 games I've played that made use of them (FIFA and NFS) - but PS4 has the same functionality there I think? So no real advantage

Hand gestures are useless and never worked for me.

I think we might see some use of Kinect in future 1st party games, but I can't see 3rd party devs going out of their way to do anything innovative with the Kinect given that most people generally don't care about it and the fact that PS Eye wasn't bundled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think one of the more interesting things to happen is the PS4 to have all games with the ability to remote play with the Vita. Obviously you're going to be paying for the extra console but it's something that is going to particularly handy for people where their console is hooked up to the main television in the house. But you do also have the benefit of extra vita games with PSPlus. They are pumping up the price for it with the arrival of the new slimmer vita with LED screen (which a lot of people are saying is inferior to the current OLED screen) which seems a bit sh¡tty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wrt40 wrote: »
    You're wrong. I don't really care to elaborate further.

snigger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's been said that Sony releasing the Eye separate doomed both cameras to gimmick status. Its also been said it was done on purpose.

Maybe that's one for the conspiracy forum ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think one of the more interesting thing to happen is the PS4 to have all games with the ability to remote play with the Vita. Obviously you're going to be paying for the extra console but it's something that is going to particularly handy for people where their console is hooked up to the main television in the house. But you do also have the benefit of extra vita games with PSPlus. They are pumping up the price for it with the arrival of the new slimmer vita with LED screen (which a lot of people are saying is inferior to the current OLED screen) which seems a bit sh¡tty.

At least, with the extra money you are getting a pretty great handheld console as well, rather than the extra money on the Xbox One, which gets you an extra device that will let the NSA spy on you having a hand shandy while watching Downton Abbey... according to a friend of mine.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's been said that Sony releasing the Eye separate doomed both cameras to gimmick status. Its also been said it was done on purpose.

Maybe that's one for the conspiracy forum ;)

I think the first part is true anyway, intentional or not is an interesting question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Anyone got a link for the actual specifications of the Kinect 2.0?

I've spent a decent amount of time the last few years working with Laser scanning and when the first Kinect came out I could see straight away it was a pile of ****e (but hence why it was so cheap for the technology) but haven't really looked at the specs for the new kinect yet and would be interesting to see how far it's come.

Mainly looking for accuracy data, resolution and points per second it can observe. I know it's still time of flight but pulse technology is probably a step too high for something like that.

It has no bearing on how useful it is for the games market I'm just curious coming from a laser scanning background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You still haven't told me what games the developers are raging about and what ones are coming in the future?
    RE games coming in the future...
    Super Time Force

Fable Legends (Xbox One)

Below (Xbox One)

D4 (Xbox One)

Kinect Sports Rivals (Xbox One)

Project Spark (360, One, Windows)

Quantum Break (Xbox One)

Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)

Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare (360, One, Windows. Other platforms?)

Halo (Xbox One)

Gears of War (Xbox One)
    [No trailer yet, obviously]

Titanfall (360, One, Windows)
    [Has been posted enough on the thread]

That's stuff we know about now. A short time after release of the system. Now, obviously everyones mileage will vary, and most of those games aren't going to interest me in the least. Of those I know I'll enjoy D4, Halo and Gears. Want to see more on Quantum Break.

Playstation 4
    Outlast (PS4, Windows)

Infamous (PS4)

Daylight (PS4, Windows)

Deep Down (PS4)

Drive Club (PS4)

Everybody's gone to the rapture (PS4)

Guilty gear xrd sign (PS3, PS4)

Hohokum (PS3, PS4, Vita)

Hotline Miami 2 (PS4, Vita, Windows, OS X, Linux)
    #

The Order 1886 (PS4)

Rime (PS4)

Uncharted (PS4)

If I'm missing some, could someone post whatever it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Was he not talking about the games supposedly in the pipeline which showcase Kinect 2.0 and make it the centre piece of the console?

Still, cheers for the post either way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I was talking about kinect only games, well aware of the ones in the videos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    At least, with the extra money you are getting a pretty great handheld console as well, rather than the extra money on the Xbox One, which gets you an extra device that will let the NSA spy on you having a hand shandy while watching Downton Abbey... according to a friend of mine.....

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great little handheld and it's one that got me back into gaming after an extended looking-after-sprogs break. I think Sony were smart not to bundle it with the PS4 from the off even though every game on the system supports remote play because the extra cost would surely have led to a lot of resentment from people that wouldn't be bothered getting one and having to fork out for it - the situation that you see with the Kinect.

I just think the price hike for the new Vita seems a bit baffling - surely if they kept the price down a bit, they're be more uptake for it. £180 sterling for the new one seems a bit rich.

Also, if you get the Vita, you can load Skype on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

wrt40 wrote: »
    Developers will get the resolution within touching distance of the PS4, no doubt about it. Sooner than you think. Some will not want to wait, others will wait, others simply won't care.

Most PS4 fans are saying graphics is all that matters, because graphics is all the PS4 has to offer. Period. PS Eye faces the same issues the first Kinect did. It's an optional extra and will get very little or no development. Technology wise, Kinect is far superior. The touted VR headset is no more than a set of TV goggles. Sony do not have the money to invest in any serious next-gen technology. They are fighting a propaganda campaign and it is working. Power to them, competition is good for all after all. The outcome of their campaign will be that the Xbox will get stronger. If there wasn't all this resolution-gate fiasco then you can be sure as anything MS would do nothing about it. So I guess Xbox owners have the MS hatters to thank. It's all good.

Have you next weeks lotto numbers as well? Thanks.
    Funny thing is, I'm getting called an MS fan boy here. I genuinely came here undecided and open to either console. The Fanboy-ism, bitterness and outright ignorance an immaturity is a major contributor to why I'm going against the PS4. I don't remember any of this for 360 Vs PS3. Maybe the Xbox is for old dudes?

You are been called a MS fanboy because you are making statements against the PS4 with absolute no proof to back it up. You cannot say that the Xbox One will catch up with the PS4 in terms of performance, it might happen but there is no guarantee. Also, how can you completely dismiss the VR headset when it hasn't even been officially announced, let alone seen in action.

Oh, and since you are so obsessed with "next-gen", the VR set would be considered more "next-gen" than the Kinect (since that was available last gen).
    I had a go on the Kinect last night, taking advice given on here on board that its a load of rubbish. You either have never used it and don't know what you are talking about or you've tried it out on an xbox that hasn't been configured properly for the environment, or (most likely) you just didn't know how to use it. I thought it was absolutely fantastic! And it can only get better. Developers are raging about what they can do with the technology, it's early days but it will only get better as the console evolves.

The problem with Kinect is that it is very difficult to integrate into a game in a meaningful way. Sure you can have your fitness games, but they have been around since the Wii and the majority of gamers don't care about. BF4 implementation of it says it all, it leans your character based on your head movement :rolleyes: In terms of games, there is nothing to suggest that the integration level of Kinect in games will improve over the 360 version as it is just too unreliable and frankly not best suited to 90% of games out there. Where are these developers raving about it? I haven't seen any, certainly none of the big studios anyway.

That is why a lot of people dismiss it, it's not because they are fanboys as you say.

Go ahead and enjoy your Xbox, no doubt you will, but please spare us the fanboy and "Church of Sony" comments because the rest of us don't think the Kinect is the best thing since sliced bread.

kinect-2.jpg

Your Face Is Now A Different Face (Q2 2014)
    facial-motion-capture.jpg

You Are Scaring Yourself (Q3 2014)
    xbox-one-kinect-2.0-games-gameplay-graphics-506x303.jpg

Learn Penalty Taking, with Charlie Adam (Q4 2017)
    ikinimea.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Small bit of news for Naughty Dog fans, wonder if there will be a new IP by 2016
    "We just wrapped up Left Behind, and Bruce Straley, the game director, and I have been doing this for over four years now. So it's just time for a break, and to recharge the batteries," he said.

We have started brainstorming some stuff. To be honest, some of them are sequel ideas, and some of them are brand new IP.

"We have started brainstorming some stuff. To be honest, some of them are sequel ideas, and some of them are brand new IP - we've spent the last few weeks brainstorming new IP. So we have to get some good steps and see... It's kind of like how we approached Left Behind. Can we tell people a story that's really worth telling, and that's not repeating itself? And if we can't, where can we get inspired - what is something that's really going to challenge us, and push storytelling in this medium forward?"

Naughty Dog has two teams that work on projects; while one has just polished off The Last of Us: Left Behind, the other is working on Uncharted 4. There have been mutterings that The Last of Us may be getting a PS4 port with Left Behind thrown in, though Naughty Dog has refused to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Benzino wrote: »
    The problem with Kinect is that it is very difficult to integrate into a game in a meaningful way. Sure you can have your fitness games, but they have been around since the Wii and the majority of gamers don't care about. BF4 implementation of it says it all, it leans your character based on your head movement :rolleyes: In terms of games, there is nothing to suggest that the integration level of Kinect in games will improve over the 360 version as it is just too unreliable and frankly not best suited to 90% of games out there. Where are these developers raving about it? I haven't seen any, certainly none of the big studios anyway.

That is why a lot of people dismiss it, it's not because they are fanboys as you say.

I have to say, the kinect is a huge part of my gaming experience now. It's how I get to stuff on my xbox quickly instead of going through two or three loading screens. You say BF4 is just leaning using your head, it's far more than that. There's also calling for ammo or a medic and such, instead of having to hold a button and then scrolling to it which is annoying and can get you killed a lot :( I miss not having that when I play it on PC.

On FIFA you can do stuff like make substitutions by saying it instead of pausing and going through players, makes the games flow more. There's much more stuff that I'm missing obviously but I'm gonna go through it all. So far at least with the games I have, kinect definitely adds to the games and is quick and simple to use. Some people may not like it, other like myself love having such features. Each to their own. At least try it before you knock it.

Sound like stuff you can do with a cheap microphone, though, in fairness.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Sound like stuff you can do with a cheap microphone, though, in fairness.

Fair enough if they work with a microphone that isn't built into the kinect but you can't do it on pc as much as I wish you could, not sure can PS4 users use their cheap mics to do it??

The leaning shouldn't be knocked either, it's very handy to not have to be against a wall to lean. I play mostly PC so I don't own lots of xbox games atm but I'm not sure why people are so negative about it here. Although, it seems to be people with playstations so I'm not sure if they've sat down for 2 or 3 hours with it and tried it. I'm neither for or against sony or MS, owned both consoles and play mostly on pc but the kinect is a constant use when I'm on my xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I have to say, the kinect is a huge part of my gaming experience now. It's how I get to stuff on my xbox quickly instead of going through two or three loading screens. You say BF4 is just leaning using your head, it's far more than that. There's also calling for ammo or a medic and such, instead of having to hold a button and then scrolling to it which is annoying and can get you killed a lot :( I miss not having that when I play it on PC.

On FIFA you can do stuff like make substitutions by saying it instead of pausing and going through players, makes the games flow more. There's much more stuff that I'm missing obviously but I'm gonna go through it all. So far at least with the games I have, kinect definitely adds to the games and is quick and simple to use. Some people may not like it, other like myself love having such features. Each to their own. At least try it before you knock it.

I had forgotten about that in BF, I think the reason for that is that it rarely understood what i was saying (admittedly I have a thick culchie accent :P). I just think it is too un-reliable for that stuff, at least for my accent anyway :D

Yeah, you can use the crappy little microphone/headphone thing you get with PS4.

If the head tilting thing is super quick and responsive and not already mapped to the controller, I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Benzino wrote: »
    I had forgotten about that in BF, I think the reason for that is that it rarely understood what i was saying (admittedly I have a thick culchie accent :P). I just think it is too un-reliable for that stuff, at least for my accent anyway :D

Fair enough. It hasn't got voice command setting for Irish users yet so maybe in future it'll get ya. So far the only command I have trouble with is "xbox record that", it's very hit or miss for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Fair enough. It hasn't got voice command setting for Irish users yet so maybe in future it'll get ya. So far the only command I have trouble with is "xbox record that", it's very hit or miss for me.

Improvements to the voice recognition are to be made during the February and March updates, so hopefully it includes support for Irish accents.

I personally don't have any issues using it, think it's brilliant to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

XB1 has a Twitch app, PS4 doesn't. The XB1 does not having Twitch streaming but that will be coming in the next few months.
    COYVB wrote: »
    THEY REMOVED TWITCH FROM THE PS4?!?!

Your defintely a games journalist lol, turning my words into something they are not. There is no Twitch app on PS4, while you can stream to Twitch and watch it on the PS4 there is no app to view Twitch in its entirety. I'd expect them to release it eventually since PS4 Twitch broadbcasting is becoming popular.
    Anyone who has played both consoles knows there isn't much difference between the 2.
    COYVB wrote: »
    Not true in the slightest. PS4 is far superior due to the dog poor interface of the XBO - says a guy who's technically got 2 of each

So, because the UI is a little bit faster, that makes the PS4 far superior lol. At least give me the resolution reason but just because the UI is a bit faster.... Also I am sure you have noticed how the XB1 handles multitasking way better the PS4.

I actually cant believe you mentioned having a twitch app as a plus.
    ahhhh, yeah..... perhaps you are unaware of the popularity of Twitch amongst gamers. Last year Twitch had 45 million viewers.

Since people were mentioning the Kinect, these videos showcase its abilities and potential. Right now I agree with everyone here that as a device to be used in-game there are no games at the moment where the Kinect plays a major role. However, I think this will change. Right now the Kinect serves as a brillant way to navigate the UI and do cool things like turning on/off all your devices at once.

Wired - first look at the Kinect 2.0

Kinect 2.0 Facial scan - Good luck with this on the PS4 eye :cool:

NASA are currently using Kinect 2.0 for a project - Maybe NASA couldnt find a store nearby that sells the PS move glow sticks :p
    http://phys.org/news/2013-12-kinect-oculus-rift-nasa-robotic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nasa using Kinect? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

So how in earth does that help me as a gamer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Kinect 2.0 Facial scan - Good luck with this on the PS4 eye :cool:

NASA are currently using Kinect 2.0 for a project - Maybe NASA couldnt find a store nearby that sells the PS move glow sticks :p
    http://phys.org/news/2013-12-kinect-oculus-rift-nasa-robotic.html
    It got her glasses and hair colour right...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nasa using Kinect? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

So how in earth does that help me as a gamer?
    Yeah, I know, pretty amazing stuff. It says volumes about the power of Kinect 2.0.

Its not posted to showcase what it can do to help you as a gamer. Its showcasing how advanced the Kinect 2.0 is.

In the hands of a highly creative games studio the Kinect 2.0 could be put to really great use. Its too early to know what the future will bring for Kinect 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I remember when the original kinect was announced, everyone (including myself at times) really tried to get excited for the potential of the device, unfortunately it just doesn't do anything more than what a track ir + microphone is possible of doing in actual games, the oculus rift is exciting technology, kinect isn't anymore. It's just a better version of kinect 1, great for ui stuff, useless for games

I remember when the original kinect was announced, everyone (including myself at times) really tried to get excited for the potential of the device, unfortunately it just doesn't do anything more than what a track ir + microphone is possible of doing in actual games, the oculus rift is exciting technology, kinect isn't anymore. It's just a better version of kinect 1, great for ui stuff, useless for games

I wouldn't say useless for games, the xbox one has only been out a few months, I'm sure over the next year or two there'll be good games that use the kinect in ways that benefit the gamer. The kinect 2.0 is far superior to the first one which wasn't worth getting in my experience, though I never owned one.

Also, my Oculus Rift SDK is due on monday woop woop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah, its hard to be excited for the kinect when something like the Oculus Rift is on its way soon.

Thinking about it... maybe using a kinect like device along with the Oculus Rift could create something awesome (It'll not happen because of how weak the xbox is ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

So, because the UI is a little bit faster, that makes the PS4 far superior lol. At least give me the resolution reason but just because the UI is a bit faster.... Also I am sure you have noticed how the XB1 handles multitasking way better the PS4.

The Ps4's interface is far better than the XBO's, not just becuase it is faster but because the design is far more considered on the PS4 than on the One.

Numerous podcasts I listen to, like the Giantbombcast and the Super Joystiq podcast, mention how unwieldy the XBO interface is without voice commands, how poorly the Snap feature is implemented (unable to change sound settings etc.) and how difficult it is to find anything in the Friends and Followers section.

While relatively basic and not without issues itself, the PS4 UI is easy to use and (IMO at least) elegantly put together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement