Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah, its hard to be excited for the kinect when something like the Oculus Rift is on its way soon.

Thinking about it... maybe using a kinect like device along with the Oculus Rift could create something awesome (It'll not happen because of how weak the xbox is ).

The PS4 would also be too weak for something like that, the rift's only going to work on high end PC's for the foreseeable future. However using the kinect on your PC with the rift is something that will probably happen. The kinect has already been hacked to work on PC's and would be great for some rift demo's in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Otacon wrote: »

While relatively basic and not without issues itself, the PS4 UI is easy to use and (IMO at least) elegantly put together.

I agree, but I dont think UI is enough to call a whole console superior. The PS4 UI is really like the XB360 UI, this is a compliment because the Xbox 360 UI was simple and fast.

Otacon wrote: »
    The Ps4's interface is far better than the XBO's, not just becuase it is faster but because the design is far more considered on the PS4 than on the One.

Numerous podcasts I listen to, like the Giantbombcast and the Super Joystiq podcast, mention how unwieldy the XBO interface is without voice commands, how poorly the Snap feature is implemented (unable to change sound settings etc.) and how difficult it is to find anything in the Friends and Followers section.

While relatively basic and not without issues itself, the PS4 UI is easy to use and (IMO at least) elegantly put together.

Not sure what they mean by "difficult it is to find anything in the Friends and Followers section", seems pretty straight forward to me. The rest I would agree with but MS change xbox's UI every year just before xmas so I'm sure in future it will be improved (or made worse :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They made a complete balls of the "Friends and followers" crap IMO.

What is the point in followers? Friends list was perfect the way it was on 360, friends and recent players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Magill wrote: »
    maybe using a kinect like device along with the Oculus Rift could create something awesome (It'll not happen because of how weak the xbox is ).

If you're wearing a screen over your face, how is a kinect like device going to make a difference to your experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ahhhh, yeah..... perhaps you are unaware of the popularity of Twitch amongst gamers. Last year Twitch had 45 million viewers.

You missed my point considering twitch has never worked on xbox and no date for when it will.

No point listing apps that don't work and comparing them to the PS4 were twitch streaming has worked since day 1.

RasTa wrote: »
    You missed my point considering twitch has never worked on xbox and no date for when it will.

No point listing apps that don't work and comparing them to the PS4 were twitch streaming has worked since day 1.
    The Twitch app works 100% on Xbox One :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I agree, but I dont think UI is enough to call a whole console superior.

No, but the consistently better multi-platform games, better online membership service and larger games catalogue on the PS4 certainly adds to the argument.

If you're wearing a screen over your face, how is a kinect like device going to make a difference to your experience?

To track your body movement like your arms... Think outside the box, or helmet ;)

The Twitch app works 100% on Xbox One :confused:

So you can stream your gameplay? News to me

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    They made a complete balls of the "Friends and followers" crap IMO.

What is the point in followers? Friends list was perfect the way it was on 360, friends and recent players.

So you can see what your favourite youtubers or twitch players are playing and what videos they upload when you know they won't accept you as friends cause you'll only bug them while they're on.

The twitch app is perfectly fine on xbox, works a charm.

EDIT: That's not what the app is for, it's for watching twitch. The streaming is a whole other thing that's coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I wouldn't say useless for games, the xbox one has only been out a few months, I'm sure over the next year or two there'll be good games that use the kinect in ways that benefit the gamer. The kinect 2.0 is far superior to the first one which wasn't worth getting in my experience, though I never owned one.

Also, my Oculus Rift SDK is due on monday woop woop :pac:

They had 4 years to do the same and it didn't happen. Sony is pushing the trackpad and all their first party was made to use it, just like the sixaxis, in order to push the idea, but that didn't work.

If MS themselves can't produce a game to utilise the kinect in any meaningful way, they ever will.

Kinect is a gimmick and useless for serious games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

So you can see what your favourite youtubers or twitch players are playing and what videos they upload when you know they won't accept you as friends cause you'll only bug them while they're on.

That'd be fine, if there was a difference made between sending a friend request and following someone. It's a stupid system at the minute.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    They had 4 years to do the same and it didn't happen. Sony is pushing the trackpad and all their first party was made to use it, just like the sixaxis, in order to push the idea, but that didn't work.

If MS themselves can't produce a game to utilise the kinect in any meaningful way, they ever will.

Kinect is a gimmick and useless for serious games.

In your opinion though. Different people would think of different games as "serious". Time will tell.

In your opinion though. Different people would think of different games as "serious". Time will tell.

BF, halo, uncharted and those games would be serious.

Kinect sports, on-rail games, not so much.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    BF, halo, uncharted and those games would be serious.

Kinect sports, on-rail games, not so much.

As I said before, I use the kinect all the time on BF4 and miss not having something like it for when I play on PC. Being able to lean anywhere and voice command to other players what I need without scrolling through options saves time and gets me killed a lot less. We'll see what they do with halo.

So you can stream your gameplay? News to me
    Yawn, you need to read up. The Twitch app is for watching streams.

I happy to educate you, but its getting old.

Yawn, you need to read up. The Twitch app is for watching streams.

I happy to educate you, but its getting old.

So how do you steam? Logic dictates you would use the app no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This thread has been a great laugh for the last 24 hours :)

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

So how do you steam? Logic dictates you would use the app no?

I'll have to simplify it for you. There are people who like to watch Twitch TV, they achieve this by using Twitch apps on many devices that allow them to view steams.

The function of a Twitch app on Xbox One and other devices is to watch streams.

Please tell me you finally get it lol. I am not a special educational teacher unfortunately. Sorry.

penny_dropped_empire_state.jpg

• Advertisement

Can you not just watch it in the browser?

I'll have to simplify it for you. There are people who like to watch Twitch TV, they achieve this by using Twitch apps on many devices that allow them to view steams.

The function of a Twitch app on Xbox One and other devices is to watch streams.

Please tell me you finally get it lol. I am not a special educational teacher unfortunately. Sorry.

So when it does work will you need to use another app for streaming?

As I said before, I use the kinect all the time on BF4 and miss not having something like it for when I play on PC. Being able to lean anywhere and voice command to other players what I need without scrolling through options saves time and gets me killed a lot less. We'll see what they do with halo.

IIRC, I read the same leaning is used in the DS4 using motion. As far as commands go that is handy, but it takes less than a second to press the button to get the same effect.

Those additions are not central to the experience. They're kinda tact on. Personally I don't think small additions like that are worth €100 and don't prove to me kinect, or any camera or motion peripheral for that matter is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

ps4 for old school gaming
    X1 has always been about multiplayer, that is still evolving in strides
    kinect is some nice innovation in its infancy
    MS cloud computing shows some real potential

what's the question again? oh yeah,
    PS4 for safe bet tried and tested
    X1 for potential of something fresh and innovative

and to settle the argument, you're all wrong
    my cock is bigger than the lot of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Why are people still fighting over this ye all sound like a bunch of peasants....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Nolars wrote: »
    Why are people still fighting over this ye all sound like a bunch of console peasants....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why is the Twitch App a plus on Xbox? Can't you stream and view Twitch on PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Neither can PS4, in Tomb Raider it is showing huge dips in frame rate. The PS4 like Xbox One is not yet capable of holding a sustained 60 FPS at 1080p. Lets be real about it.

It is dipping, down to 32FPS, still higher than 30FPS on the X1. It also has an average of ~58FPS which means it only very rarely dips this low. I'd still list is as a significant advantage over the X1.
    Pure speculation, and at the moment I am speculating that its not a patch on the Kinect 2.0 tech.

??? I've played the move last gen, it was great. Very responsive. I agree that the Kinect 2.0 might be better, but I haven't seen anything good about it yet as it hasn't really been used by anything I've seen except the console itself.
    The PS4 voice commands feature isn't in the same league as the XB1 voice commands. Even the Sony instructional video has the guy speaking louder than usual to work it. Also on Xbox one you can power Off/On your Console/TV/amps by using the Kinect voice command "Xbox On".

Ok. So the Xbone has a slightly (by the sounds of what you're saying) better voice command system?
    XB1 has a Twitch app, PS4 doesn't. The XB1 does not having Twitch streaming but that will be coming in the next few months.

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Use_Twitch_with_PS4
    http://www.twitch.tv/apps/playstation4
    XB1 has a really great YouTube app, PS4 does not have a YouTube app.

http://www.playstationeuphoria.com/general/ps4-tip-how-to-watch-youtube-videos.html
    http://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-4/3045-146/forums/watch-youtube-with-ps4-1461180/

Youtube app is probably a lot better on the X1 though to be fair.
    XB1 has Skype, PS4 does not.

True, if that's one of the reasons you want a console, then the Xbone is a better choice in that regard. For me, between my phone, tablet, laptop and desktop, I have enough Skype access that this is a non-issue for me and wouldn't factor into my console choice.
    The Xbox One controller is far superior to the DualShock4 controller. The DS4 is a massive improvement from DS3.

Pure opinion, and I disagree (apart from the DS4 being an improvement over DS3, I agree with that!)
    The Xbox video editing app is miles ahead of the PS4's video editor. MS Upload studio allows you to upload your videos to Skydrive, from here you can post your video any where. PS4 only allows you to upload videos to Facebook.

I'm not even bothered researching this, sure the X1 is a better video editor. Why you'd use it as one is beyond me.
    The Xbox One has an HDMI input. - I use my Apple TV2 to seemliness switch from gaming to watching a movie or live TV. I can control the volume and mute function by using voice commands. I can steam a PS4 through it and actually check my XB1's friend activity while playing the PS4 :D

OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Port-HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Hub-With-Remote-1080p-for-HDTV-PS3-/171199854491

I would just plug my device into another hdmi port, but again, if you think this is must-have functionality in a console, have away.
    {...(removed for irrelevancy, if I'm wrong and it is relevant, I need it explained to me)}

Oh yeah and TITANFALL is not on PS4 :pac:
    Awaiting the quotes from our resident Sony Apostles. Amen. :D
    "I'll just play it on my PC"
    "Titanfall is cod with mechs"
    "Titanfail", ohhh its going to be ****"
    "I don't trust thousands of people and awarding bodies telling me that the game is awesome"
    "I dont get the hype, its so unoriginal"
    There is no trendsetter campaign mode, I am out.

At the Church of Sony, they are praying for Titanfall to fail lol.

Random dig aside, it's one game, it's not out yet, it looks like it might be good. I'd advocate waiting and seeing and even if you buy a PS4 you can still play it for PC or 360. If you don't have a PC or 360, then maybe it might sway you in the Xbone's favour, but you're going to miss out on any PS4 exclusives, much like you miss out on Xbone exclusives when buying a PS4. Take a look at all of them and see what you can do without, which you can pick up on a different platform if you really want to play, etc.
    No, it's just supposed to show what it does. Simples. It's not there to motivate or entice. Laying down some facts.

Half aren't even facts, they were opinions. Some were misinformed and some were disingenuous at best.
    wrt40 wrote: »
    I don't think much of the plus points. simple. I have to believe everything people say on the internet and not come to my own judgement? Especially when its all mostly immature fanboy vitriolic ignorant rubbish? Are you seriously going to criticise me for having my own opinion? Weird :rolleyes:

Not the issue, the issue is that you are insulting people who gave you facts and labelling them fanboys.
    wrt40 wrote: »
    You're wrong. I don't really care to elaborate further.

Why go on this site if you aren't interested in discussion? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why is the Twitch App a plus on Xbox? Can't you stream and view Twitch on PS4?

Yes.

You can do both, but if you want to watch someone who's not on your friends list PS4 you need to go to the website on the PS4's browser.

You can see in the what's new section (where games friends have played and trophies they've unlock are shown and it shows if anyone is streaming) or you can see on the friends list, the site works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

ps4 for old school gaming
    X1 has always been about multiplayer, that is still evolving in strides
    kinect is some nice innovation in its infancy
    MS cloud computing shows some real potential

what's the question again? oh yeah,
    PS4 for safe bet tried and tested
    X1 for potential of something fresh and innovative

and to settle the argument, you're all wrong
    my cock is bigger than the lot of yours

Its a major risk to bet 500 euros on something that has the potential, which is why MS are struggling. The old adage of the devil you know is springs to mind.

As to the twitch thing, I would rather be able to stream my gaming than view a stream from a console. The PS3 has a youtube app I never use as I prefer to youtube on the PC or tablet. I can't see myself sitting down in front of the living room, turning on my console and my TV to watch youtube (or twitch) but it would be nice to upload/stream to them from my console.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement