Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Varik wrote: »
    Yes.

You can do both, but if you want to watch someone who's not on your friends list you need to go to the website on the PS4's browser.

Deal breaker! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

OK, I know that the post that prompted me to post this was really looking for kinect integration in games rather than games generally. I think the general games discussion is more important though. Looking at it just as a pure games basis, it is a lot easier to try to assess how good a game might be than trying to figure out how well kinect will be in any games which will use it. Broadly speaking, I'd rather see discussion on games there, or games I missed. With the 'games I missed' in mind, I recalled an extra one that is on both the 360 and One. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood.

Anyway, please post other games that'll be coming to the PS4 or One and a vid. Looking at what is coming, it is safe to say anyone who owns either will likely get plenty of game time from stuff we already know about, before even seeing what is revealed at E3 - or the inevitable pre-E3 leaks.

I haven't had any time with the One to test the voice features. I want to see how useful it is in terms of UI navigation and how well it recognises my voice. I'm going to assume issues until I try it for myself and see. As for games, to me, the test will be D4 first. Now, that game allows you to play it entirely with or without kinect. It seems some people see Kinect integration when a button press alternative exists is tacked on. Am I understanding that correctly? That to some, the only way kinect integration is worth speaking about is if you can only use kinect for it? My assessment will be very different. It'll simply be: Is it good? Does it add something to the game? I think its safe to say I'll be in a better position to have some response to that in a year than I am now.

Oh, to go back to titles we know will be coming out, well we know that the PS4 will have new Tales games, some stuff from Level-5 and... damn, there was something I just thought of but forget already :P (Edit: It was The Last Guardian, if it ever gets made.)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

sarumite wrote: »
    Its a major risk to bet 500 euros on something that has the potential, which is why MS are struggling. The old adage of the devil you know is springs to mind.

As to the twitch thing, I would rather be able to stream my gaming than view a stream from a console. The PS3 has a youtube app I never use as I prefer to youtube on the PC or tablet. I can't see myself sitting down in front of the living room, turning on my console and my TV to watch youtube (or twitch) but it would be nice to upload/stream to them from my console.

Firstly, where did you see that MS are struggling? Link please, I'd like to read that.

Secondly, what if you don't have access to to a PC or tablet, only the xbox one in your bedroom or living room?

I watch a lot of twitch when I can, apart from when I'm gaming but since I got xbox one I've been able to play and watch at the same time. Usually when I play fifa tbh. Some people here seem to think if something doesn't appeal to them then it's just crap and useless, plenty of other people will make use of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dammmmm missed a bargain earlier.

How did people get their PS4's delivered from he US site

U1eqaM8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

Its a major risk to bet 500 euros on something that has the potential, which is why MS are struggling. The old adage of the devil you know is springs to mind
    yep, Ps4 for tried and tested

but Ms are not struggling, this has been a successful launch for them selling more than the 360 at launch The numbers are warped because Ms have only released in 13 countries versus 48 for Ps4
    but Sony still has Japan to go, there's a good few million in the bag

both companies are rubbing their hands with glee. don't believe a word of Sony's talk about taking care of the customer. they are in serious difficulty. massive lay offs and are selling Off pc and tv.
    they want profit from ps4. no, they need profit. same with Ms.

I don't see a huge amount of risk in x1. it's a very good piece of kit. they have a vision and it was never meant to be completed on launch day. it will adapt and evolve over time. that's the point of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

ps4 for old school gaming
    X1 has always been about multiplayer, that is still evolving in strides
    I don't get this, you talk about the X1 being more about MP..... yet PS4 has more MP games coming out on it...... Heres a list of exclusive multiplayer focused games announced so far (Exclusive or console exclusive games)

Diablo 3:RoS
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    Starbound
    Planetside 2
    Everquest Next
    Deep Down
    Warframe
    War Thunder
    DC Universe Online
    Blacklight: Retribution
    Driveclub

You really can't use the "Xbox is for MP fans" argument anymore. With a list like that of already announced games, plus all the multiplatform games... theres really a rich selection on its way for playstation users in terms of multiplayer gaming. Has the XB1 got a comparable list of online focused games coming ?

There are no advantages to gaming online on the xbox anymore since both systems have cross game chatting etc.
    MS cloud computing shows some real potential

Has it ? I haven't seen them show anything that is even remotely feasible/impressive... cloud computing (In gaming, and how some people are expecting) is nothing but a myth.
    what's the question again? oh yeah,
    PS4 for safe bet tried and tested
    X1 for potential of something fresh and innovative

I would have thought remote play via vita, playstation now and the potential for VR headsets is a bit more fresh than kinect 2.0 !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Final Fantasy XIV is coming out on Xbox as well, you need a live sub and the game sub but it is still coming out on the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Varik wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XIV is coming out on Xbox as well, you need a live sub and the game sub but it is still coming out on the Xbox.

Sorry, i meant Final Fantasy XIV: A realm Reborn... not sure what hte difference is but im pretty sure thats not coming out on Xbox ? Maybe your thinking of Elderscrolls Online ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Firstly, where did you see that MS are struggling? Link please, I'd like to read that.
    This is a poll thread, In that poll, ps4 is 75%, xbone is 25%. I should have been more specific about what i mant
    Secondly, what if you don't have access to to a PC or tablet, only the xbox one in your bedroom or living room?

I watch a lot of twitch when I can, apart from when I'm gaming but since I got xbox one I've been able to play and watch at the same time. Usually when I play fifa tbh. Some people here seem to think if something doesn't appeal to them then it's just crap and useless, plenty of other people will make use of it.

I guess the way I see it, there are several ways to watch streaming. Personally I can use my tablet, laptop or phone. While it is nice that you can do it on the XBone, I would personally think the option to stream my gameplay is superior since it something I can't do using tablet/phone/pc. I could be wrong, but a lot of people with internet usually have access to some sort of PC/Tablet/phone. I never said it was useless, although I do think the xbones twitch integration is inferior at the moment. That will change in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Magill wrote: »
    Sorry, i meant Final Fantasy XIV: A realm Reborn... not sure what hte difference is but im pretty sure thats not coming out on Xbox ? Maybe your thinking of Elderscrolls Online ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn

Never mind I was thinking of the live sub being required, but that was one of the reasons it wasn't coming.

• Advertisement

yep, Ps4 for tried and tested

but Ms are not struggling,
    I should have mentioned, struggling in the poll
    I don't see a huge amount of risk in x1. it's a very good piece of kit. they have a vision and it was never meant to be completed on launch day. it will adapt and evolve over time. that's the point of it.
    Well if the PS4 is the tried and tested option, then my take on what you were saying is that the XBone is effectively the untried and untested option with lots of potential. You can play it saf and buy something you know works (PS4) or be a bit more daring and buy something of an unknown quantity that could be something special (XBone). From your post, the only conclusion I can come to is that there is more risk in buying the Xbone, but potentially more reward?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

but Ms are not struggling, this has been a successful launch for them selling more than the 360 at launch The numbers are warped because Ms have only released in 13 countries versus 48 for Ps4
    but Sony still has Japan to go, there's a good few million in the bag

Good point, have they announced the eta for the next 30 locales to go live?

Had a look around to see what I could dig up.

www.latinpost.com/articles/6643/20140130/ps4-vs-xbox-one-news-games-comparison-console-war-continues.htm
    The next launch will reportedly see the Xbox One in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Japan, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden and Taiwan in April.

Then, Microsoft will reportedly launch the system in China, Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Israel, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, South Africa, Turkey and United Arab Emirates in October.

Honestly, it seems they aren't doing so hot in getting the console out globally in a timely manner.

I think it's 1 year later, which makes it end if 2014

I should have mentioned, struggling in the poll

Well if the PS4 is the tried and tested option, then my take on what you were saying is that the XBone is effectively the untried and untested option with lots of potential. You can play it saf and buy something you know works (PS4) or be a bit more daring and buy something of an unknown quantity that could be something special (XBone). From your post, the only conclusion I can come to is that there is more risk in buying the Xbone, but potentially more reward?
    I honestly haven't thought about it that deeply I never for one second stopped and thought x1 is a bit of a risk I better go for ps4 just to be safe.

I've always thought Sony's hands were tied They are struggling as a company and could not afford to be bold with the ps4. they've stuck to making a good old fashioned game console and it has paid off. I love Sony, Sony means quality. ps4 is another quality product but it's very safe. Will be interesting to see how they evolve the product. there has to be progress. the novelty of fancy graphics wears off fairly quickly. Vr headset sounds promising but it remains to be seen. it's q console, I would set my expectations too high on it. we're again back to talking about potential. it's part and parcel of the console life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I honestly haven't thought about it that deeply I never for one second stopped and thought x1 is a bit of a risk I better go for ps4 just to be safe.

Honestly, if 25% of the market buy the X1, that's probably still a good few million sold. Buying X1 is not really a risk, I think the PS4 offers better value, but if you really love MS or hate Sony or want all the media center stuff, then obviously the X1 is where to go.

Honestly, if 25% of the market buy the X1, that's probably still a good few million sold. Buying X1 is not really a risk, I think the PS4 offers better value, but if you really love MS or hate Sony or want all the media center stuff, then obviously the X1 is where to go.

I was responding specifically to:

"PS4 for safe bet tried and tested
    X1 for potential of something fresh and innovative"

If the PS4 is a safe bet, then what is the XBone?

I reckon it means in terms of multiplatform. That's where it makes sense. It really looks like PS4 is for multiplatform games. If people want to go only one console, and the exclusives are primarily the ones on the One, then such people will be 'settling' in terms of the exclusives. And, the hopes that there will be parity between exclusives as the gen continues is the risk I guess.

x1 is an evolved 360
    I'm suggesting Sony have played it safe, not that ms have taken careless risks.. Sony are actually very lucky. it was only meant to have 4gb ram. they got wind that Microsoft were coming out with 8gb and so they had to match it. it's pure coincidence that the bump up happened to make the ps4 a killer machine with regards to graphically power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS4 already had a higher clocked GPU with more bandwidth and the RAM they went with has higher bandwidth and is faster than the DDR3 in the X1. MS bumped up the X1 GPU clockspeed twice when they found out what Sony had and saw they were really lacking in early benchmarks. Closed the gap but there is still a noticeable gap there. The X1 also started life with 4Gb of RAM, Sony actually put more in because they went to game developers and asked them what they wanted and needed for next gen and 8Gb of RAM was top of that list combine with an X86 platform. Nothing to do with what MS had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I seems like Sony and Microsoft have completely switched places this generation with the PS4 gaining more favorite and having the better versions of multiplatform games. The PS3 more often that not had the lesser versions of multiplatform games last gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I seems like Sony and Microsoft have completely switched places this generation with the PS4 gaining more favorite and having the better versions of multiplatform games. The PS3 more often that not had the lesser versions of multiplatform games last gen.

And if the last gen showed us anything, it's that it can be turned around. I'm looking forward to what MS has in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Pushtrak wrote: »
    And, the hopes that there will be parity between exclusives as the gen continues is the risk I guess.
    If this is something that matters to you then thats a risk for sure. I have my Xbox 360 setup on a 22 inch 720p TV. I have no intentions upgrading it for xbox1. Its only a console I dont take it that seriously.

x1 is an evolved 360

If it is an evolved 360, why is it "Fresh"?

wrt40 wrote: »
    If this is something that matters to you then thats a risk for sure. I have my Xbox 360 setup on a 22 inch 720p TV. I have no intentions upgrading it for xbox1. Its only a console I dont take it that seriously.
    I don't think there is a gamer out there who doesn't care about graphics or an x1 owner who isn't disappointed the x1 has fallen short.

maybe if you had a ps4 you might consider a new tv to go with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

It's still pretty safe tbh. PS4 has an equal potential for something fresh and innovative IMO, the problem with the Kinect as far as I see it is if you use it, you can't really use the controller, meaning it probably won't be used. Part of what made the Wii so successful is that motion controls were the controller. You might get some anaemic Kinect controls added in to some exclusive games (mini games in Fable is one place I see it being used) and probably one or two really cool uses of it, but I'd imagine it's going to more or less go the way of the six axis. Unless they pair it with Oculus Rift-like VR goggles, then we could really see some interesting stuff with it.

tl;dr: It's too early to tell which console is going to be innovative and both are "safe bets".

If it is an evolved 360, why is it "Fresh"?
    fair point kinect is new to me so I suppose there is something fresh about it to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

another day, and another round of bad news for the xbox one...today featuring cod ghosts http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-performance-drops-on-cod-ghosts-patch

It's still pretty safe tbh. PS4 has an equal potential for something fresh and innovative IMO, the problem with the Kinect as far as I see it is if you use it, you can't really use the controller, meaning it probably won't be used. Part of what made the Wii so successful is that motion controls were the controller. You might get some anaemic Kinect controls added in to some exclusive games (mini games in Fable is one place I see it being used) and probably one or two really cool uses of it, but I'd imagine it's going to more or less go the way of the six axis. Unless they pair it with Oculus Rift-like VR goggles, then we could really see some interesting stuff with it.

tl;dr: It's too early to tell which console is going to be innovative and both are "safe bets".

I agree. I was playing devils advocate. I didn't agree with the posters conclusions which is why I challenged their assertions. Neither console feels fresh or innovative at the moment. In many ways both played it safe, sony slightly safer by not bundling the PSeye with console in the same way MS did with Kinect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought the whole "Kinect is the best new thing" the last time, I am not expecting great things this time either.
    Like it or not, it's a lot easier to just press a button then learn a gesture that may or may not work, early Wii games made the same mistake but later, with Metroid Prime 3 and the New Control revisions of the previous titles, we saw sense applied to motion control.
    I think people like the have something tactile and, sadly, the Kinect simply can't provide that, so you're swishing at fresh air.
    Voice control I just don't get, again what can it do that's not already second nature with a button press, or a dialogue wheel?
    If voice control was so great the PC would have it built into every game, but it's not and that says something about the whole idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement