Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

On the subject of freshness and evolving the consoles, I think Ms have plans to push the media aspect further than simply streaming and controlling your TV etc. Quantum Break is going to have a TV show to compliment the game. The plot of the show will apparently adapt to how you are playing the game. I think that's a pretty cool idea. I'm guessing it will be along the lines of if you progress your character as an evil character in the game then he'll also take an evil path in the TV show. No hard evidence for that I'm just speculating. But its all part of the evolution of the console that I like about x1. These aren't world changing ideas its only a console after all. I don't think anybody is expecting oculus rift stuff out of either boxes. But I really do believe if Ms can pull it off, as in not self destruct, which there are absolutely no indications that they will, then I think they will set the pace for generations to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Isn't there another game doing that TV show/game thing? That Syfy show, Defiance has a game too with a similar mechanic. It's on Syfy though, so I expect the show is at best sorta ok. And my assumptions of the game are dragged down by the association.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If voice control was so great the PC would have it built into every game, but it's not and that says something about the whole idea.
    It would be hard to achieve on pc because the onus would be on the game developer. Kinect has needed a huge investment, if a game developer was to develop something similar then the game would cost an arm and a leg!

Microsoft are transitioning to one os for all devices. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect didn't come to windows, for use with pc games. Paired up with oculus as others have suggested.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Isn't there another game doing that TV show/game thing? That Syfy show, Defiance has a game too with a similar mechanic. It's on Syfy though, so I expect the show is at best sorta ok. And my assumptions of the game are dragged down by the association.

I'd imagine it will be B quality too :)
    The difference of course will be that you watch it on the Xbox and it detects what path you have taken in the game and will adapt the plot accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeah, I know, pretty amazing stuff. It says volumes about the power of Kinect 2.0.

Its not posted to showcase what it can do to help you as a gamer. Its showcasing how advanced the Kinect 2.0 is.

In the hands of a highly creative games studio the Kinect 2.0 could be put to really great use. Its too early to know what the future will bring for Kinect 2.0

"Menzies also welcomed the fact that all the visual input was properly mapped to where limbs are in the real world. "It feels very natural and immersive." The Kinect 2 brings more precision and accuracy."

Coming from a user of this technology at a much much higher level I doubt a €100 sensor is capable of doing exactly what is said above. There are a lot of variables to consider and a sensor like this one just couldn't provide exact observations of close range subjects. If it did my industry would be all talk about this product and it's uses. It's not. People are still talking about $50k-$300k sensors providing these results.

I'm sure its a decent sensor, very well priced and more accurate than the Kinect. That wouldn't be hard.

I wonder if the Kinect 2 functions with Scenect like the first one did. Would be interesting to look at results.

Nobody has a link to the specifications of the Kinect 2.0? I can't find them myself online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The plot of the show will apparently adapt to how you are playing the game

it wont. the overall story won't actually change at all, but they'll ever so slightly alter what they call "junction points" to reflect certain community events - they won't be major things though, more relatively small things that don't affect what comes next in any big way

COYVB wrote: »
    it wont. the overall story won't actually change at all, but they'll ever so slightly alter what they call "junction points" to reflect certain community events - they won't be major things though, more relatively small things that don't affect what comes next in any big way

Ah ok
    My idea is better :)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-releases-xbox-one-exact-sales-numbers/
    Xbox have released their Q2 revenue. I've tried to find Sony's in the interest of balance but it doesn't look like they have released them yet.
    I don't think any x1 owner should be worried of the console failing or being a risk take. Second place is not a bad place to be when its a strong 2nd place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The last generation was hardly groundbreaking either. The biggest advances were made by Demons Souls and Journey. One was a game that Sony wrote off as something that would sell 40k copies and the other was from a small studio that wasn't sure it would turn a profit on the game. Those groundbreaking advances mostly come from the unlikeliest of sources, for instance nobody cared about GTA3 before it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Neither can PS4, in Tomb Raider it is showing huge dips in frame rate. The PS4 like Xbox One is not yet capable of holding a sustained 60 FPS at 1080p.

Lets be real about it.
    It is dipping, down to 32FPS, still higher than 30FPS on the X1. It also has an average of ~58FPS which means it only very rarely dips this low. I'd still list is as a significant advantage over the X1.
    I agree about the advantage. Another thing to note is that the average frame rate of the PS4 during gameplay is actually 50.98 FPS according to Digital Foundry.
    You trying to squeeze a few extra frames out of me :D

fullmetaljacket.jpg
    I've played the move last gen, it was great. Very responsive. I agree that the Kinect 2.0 might be better, but I haven't seen anything good about it yet as it hasn't really been used by anything I've seen except the console itself
    I agree with what you are saying about the PS Move and the Kinect's lack in-game use at present. It is however very early days. The XB1 only launched 2.5 months ago. The Kinect 2.0 is far more advanced, that's a fact, however it remains unknown if developers can or will want to utilise that technology to create something that gamers will enjoy.
    XB1 has a Twitch app, PS4 doesn't. The XB1 does not having Twitch streaming but that will be coming in the next few months.
    Yes, the PS4 has a Twitch app however its a limited version of Twitch. The proper Twitch app allows you to watch Twitch in its entirety. Which is on Xb1. (Yes, we know the Xb1 does not have a streaming option, but it is coming shortly and is fully confirmed)
    XB1 has Skype, PS4 does not.
    True, if that's one of the reasons you want a console, then the Xbone is a better choice in that regard. For me, between my phone, tablet, laptop and desktop, I have enough Skype access that this is a non-issue for me and wouldn't factor into my console choice.
    Its just a benefit and was not part of my purchasing decision. I do find it very handy, and the camera tracking is a very cool feature. Another great feature is to be to have up to 25 Xbox One users (or any Skype user) in a call. Thats handy because party chat sizes are limited to 8 people talking. The call quality is brilliant.
    The Xbox video editing app is miles ahead of the PS4's video editor. MS Upload studio allows you to upload your videos to Skydrive, from here you can post your video any where. PS4 only allows you to upload videos to Facebook.
    I'm not even bothered researching this, sure the X1 is a better video editor. Why you'd use it as one is beyond me.
    I like sharing my video clips like many gamers do. I capture, edit and share BF4 montages, funny moments and so on. Also the "Xbox, Record that" command makes it really simple to capture an awesome moment without having to navigate anywhere to make it happen.
    The Xbox One has an HDMI input. - I use my Apple TV2 to seemliness switch from gaming to watching a movie or live TV. I can control the volume and mute function by using voice commands. I can steam a PS4 through it and actually check my XB1's friend activity while playing the PS4 :D
    OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Port-HDMI-...-/171199854491
    I would just plug my device into another hdmi port, but again, if you think this is must-have functionality in a console, have away.
    While HDMI splitters are great the way that the HDMI input is integrated into the system is great. I can watch my media while in a gaming lobby by just saying "Xbox, go to tv" and I can also say "Xbox, snap tv" and watch the media in snap mode while also viewing my game.

Usually I'll be watching a movie and I'll say "Xbox, snap activites". This calls up a snap of what my friends are currently playing and I can join them instantly if I wish. I wouldn't class it has must have. Its a luxury.
    Oh yeah and TITANFALL is not on PS4 :pac:
    Awaiting the quotes from our resident Sony Apostles. Amen. :D
    "I'll just play it on my PC"
    "Titanfall is cod with mechs" .....

Random dig aside, it's one game, it's not out yet, it looks like it might be good. I'd advocate waiting and seeing and even if you buy a PS4 you can still play it for PC or 360. If you don't have a PC or 360, then maybe it might sway you in the Xbone's favour, but you're going to miss out on any PS4 exclusives, much like you miss out on Xbone exclusives when buying a PS4. Take a look at all of them and see what you can do without, which you can pick up on a different platform if you really want to play, etc.
    My Titanfall joking aside, its good to see Microsoft securing these significant exclusivity deals. Its one of the main reasons I bought an Xbox One. No matter how much PS4 gamers try to marginalise it that was one hell of deal to secure. Fair play.
    No, it's just supposed to show what it does. Simples. It's not there to motivate or entice. Laying down some facts.
    Half aren't even facts, they were opinions. Some were misinformed and some were disingenuous at best.
    Actually it consisted of a lot of facts and my opinion. I am not trying to sell xbox one and I am not trying to convince people to buy it. I have advised many people I know to get a PS4 when they told me what they were looking for. I just find it funny that when the XB1 gets mentioned here the facts about the XB1 go right out the window. PS4 users/fans come in with sweeping statements of untrue facts, like "elevated Frame rates" lol, or "constantly sustaining 1080p and 60FPS". I don't understand the need for people to be constantly inflate the PS4, its a great piece of gaming tech and really doesn't need to be sold in such a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yes, the PS4 has a Twitch app however its a limited version of Twitch. The proper Twitch app allows you to watch Twitch in its entirety. Which is on Xb1. (Yes, we know the Xb1 does not have a streaming option, but it is coming shortly and is fully confirmed)
    So... they both have limited Twitch apps???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    for instance nobody cared about GTA3 before it was released.

I did :D Man, I used to dream about how the city would look haha the fact it was in 3D just blew my mind for some reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Benzino wrote: »
    I did :D Man, I used to dream about how the city would look haha the fact it was in 3D just blew my mind for some reason :D

I thought it was a strange post as GTA was big before GTA3. I had all them before 3 came out and was very excited for GTA3 as much as pretty much anyone I knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

irishmover wrote: »
    I thought it was a strange post as GTA was big before GTA3. I had all them before 3 came out and was very excited for GTA3 as much as pretty much anyone I knew.

Going off topic here, but like yourself it was my most anticipated game of the PS2, perhaps only beaten by its sequels. But I do get where Retro is coming from. I recall reading an interview from one of the Houser brothers I think it was, and he said they were shocked at the little reaction/hype they received at an E3 event. They expected everybody to love it, but in fact it got little attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Benzino wrote: »

Same. Most gamers I knew were anticipating it and it didn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So... they both have limited Twitch apps???

I don't know about the One but the PS4 web browser will work with the site fully.

Varik wrote: »
    I don't know about the One but the PS4 web browser will work with the site fully.

Yeah, just found it funny how the PS4 version was "limited" because you could stream gameplay but not watch (even though you can) yet there's no mention of the XB1 version being limited where you can watch but not stream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Those groundbreaking advances mostly come from the unlikeliest of sources, for instance nobody cared about GTA3 before it was released.

I cared!
    Jebus!
    I played GTA to death on the PC when it was launched, there was a big push behind it at the time.
    I picked it up later for the PS but by then I had moved on, played a good bit of the 60's themed GTA:London on the PS though.
    GTA2 didn't float my boat buy my brother played a lot of it, the futuristic setting gave him Syndicate flashbacks!
    But GTA3 was always going to be massive, I recall the media hype surrounding it, and I played it through over a week or two of its launch, brilliant.
    Vice City was, and is, my favourite though.

I think that gen was the most fertile for innovation, development costs weren't sky high and there seemed to be loads of room for chance takers, so we got Ico and Sky Odyssey, Strangers Wrath and Global Defence Force.

I was working in Game when GTA 3 came out. It was massive, alright.

Yeah, just found it funny how the PS4 version was "limited" because you could stream gameplay but not watch (even though you can) yet there's no mention of the XB1 version being limited where you can watch but not stream.

It was mentioned in an earlier post.
    XB1 has a Twitch TV app, PS4 doesn't. The XB1 does not have Twitch streaming but that will be coming in the next few months.

No one said you can't watch it. What was said was that Twitch is very restrictive on PS4. Its not the usual unrestrictive Twitch app. Meaning you can only view certain content in the app itself.

• Advertisement

It was mentioned in an earlier post.

No one said you can't watch it. What was said was the Twitch app is very restrictive on PS4. Meaning you only view certain content in the app itself.
    And it's restricted to spectating only on the XB1.

And it's restricted to spectating only on the XB1.

Yes, as mentioned before :confused:

Yes, as mentioned before :confused:
    Just making sure. You seem to be using the idea that it's limited or restricted on PS4 as a plus point for XB1.
    Apologies if that's not the case but that's the way it's coming across.

Just making sure. You seem to be using the idea that it's limited or restricted on PS4 as a plus point for XB1.
    Apologies if that's not the case but that's the way it's coming across.
    I am saying that having the unrestricted Twitch app on Xbox One is a benefit at the moment and when the streaming function comes shortly it will be an awesome app.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I don't think there is a gamer out there who doesn't care about graphics or an x1 owner who isn't disappointed the x1 has fallen short.

maybe if you had a ps4 you might consider a new tv to go with it :)

I'm a gamer that prefers gameplay over graphics any day and I'm not at all disappointed with the xbox ones graphics. Sure it can't compete with my PC but it's not meant to really. I have a lot of fun on xbox one with my friends and graphics isn't something that's even thought about tbh. Even on pc when I play a great looking game it's forgotten about 5 minutes into playing it.

I'm a gamer that prefers gameplay over graphics any day and I'm not at all disappointed with the xbox ones graphics. Sure it can't compete with my PC but it's not meant to really. I have a lot of fun on xbox one with my friends and graphics isn't something that's even thought about tbh. Even on pc when I play a great looking game it's forgotten about 5 minutes into playing it.

Don't get me wrong the x1 has fantastic graphics and i'd challenge anyone to spot the difference. I don't mean the side by side screenshots you find online (which I wouldn't even trust) but to sit down and play games and ask yourself is it affecting your game play, can you even spot the difference and do you even care?!
    Call me greedy but I would much rather have done without all the negativity surrounding it and if I could have all the x1 features as well as equal graphical firepower as ps4 then the whole experience would be complete. Instead its going to hang over us and will be a constant source of negativity. We should all be arguing over which has the best games, not which has the best looking games.
    Its also disappointing that the x1 is capable of more but developers are not putting the effort in. That's Ms's fault not theirs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    I was working in Game when GTA 3 came out. It was massive, alright.

Yes it was massive but not until review copies were sent out and people realised how groundbreaking it was. Up until that point previews were very tame and the graphics were criticised. There was a month between the reviews appearing and the games release where people were excited for it but before that it really slipped under the radar. It was the same with the first God of War, that game came out of no where and the previews really weren't positive at all.

I don't remember it like that myself. I remember how the first GTA turned from sleeper hit into something big. GTA 2 and even that London one were big too, and as soon as people heard there was going to be a 3D GTA, it was being highly anticipated by everyone I knew who played games and every kid who came into the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

While the xbox one and ps4 are powerful machines the games and appeal for me are piss poor..

Have been stuck into the wii u exclusives and WOW nobody can deny ninty are absolutely genius.... shame people are so quick to slate the wii u without owning one.

Was actually considering selling my xbox one and buying a steam machine...

Last gen imo was the golden era for fps with bc2 etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There has been a lot of active hostility towards the WiiU and, more precisely, towards those that might champion it's games, not nice at all.
    I can see my next gen future being my current WiiU paired with a PS4, unless MS really pull it out of the hat at the E3.
    They need to reduce the apparent performance differential between the machines, either proving it's just a result of poor utilisation of resources or innovating with the power it has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement