Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There has been a lot of active hostility towards the WiiU and, more precisely, towards those that might champion it's games, not nice at all.
    I can see my next gen future being my current WiiU paired with a PS4, unless MS really pull it out of the hat at the E3.
    They need to reduce the apparent performance differential between the machines, either proving it's just a result of poor utilisation of resources or innovating with the power it has.
    i wouldnt be rushing to the ps4 or xbox one, i have played both and there really is f all difference in gameplay and graphics.. anyone quoting stats is talking crap imo both xbox one and ps 4 have been a huge let down for me since launch....

playing games to me is about functionality and games need to have a great story.. games like red dead from last gen was fantastic...

If gaming is gonna come down to resolutions and fanboy crap arguments like that ill take my money and go pc i am 31 years old petty arguing over numbers is at best laughable.

the wii u is amazing. Look at the gamepad and graphics on it tgey are fabulous... my advice buy a wii u for 199 and save yourselves money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There actually is a difference between gameplay and graphics when one console has big FPS hits compared to the other, a smooth experience compared to a choppy laggy one. Last gen the PS3 was the poor cross platform console so I only played exclusives on it, this gen the X1 is the poor cross platform console so I only play exclusives on it so far. The difference is very noticeable imo and if you can't see or feel it then you must not be paying too much attention to what you are actually playing especially for PC gamers playing these consoles can and should be able to see the differences big time.

I have all the consoles and play them all so I can compare directly, it's easy for me to tell what console a game is being played on after I see them both with my own eyes and not on youtube vids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, as a 42 year old I've invested in enough turkeys in my time that I'm cautious that the good money I spend is going on the best machine with the best games.
    I won't be in a position to pick up a PS4 /X1 until early summer, so I might as well wait until then.
    I've been counselling others that the power issue is a red herring and games is where it's at hut some part of me doesn't want the console with the less than the best 3rd party ports, this could change over the next 12 months but if not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

There actually is a difference between gameplay and graphics when one console has big FPS hits compared to the other, a smooth experience compared to a choppy laggy one. Last gen the PS3 was the poor cross platform console so I only played exclusives on it, this gen the X1 is the poor cross platform console so I only play exclusives on it so far. The difference is very noticeable imo and if you can't see or feel it then you must not be paying too much attention to what you are actually playing especially for PC gamers playing these consoles can and should be able to see the differences big time.

I have all the consoles and play them all so I can compare directly, it's easy for me to tell what console a game is being played on after I see them both with my own eyes and not on youtube vids.

Ive played all games since launch on the x1
    none of them have been choppy or laggy :pac: unless your counting bf4
    its not poor but its not great either
    but still graphics are amazing on both and your saying its choppy and laggy? seriously man their are facts and their are delusions and you sir are been very delusional :pac: the fps may be lower but not too the point of been choppy or laggy
    the 1080p might not be their for cross platform games but that does not make it choppy or laggy, it still has great graphics

I have both
    and I see the difference between frame rates and 1080/720p but no where near too the point of it been choppy and laggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dead Rising 3 does look like a PS3/360 game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The Wii U is the unsung hero at the minute. I'd make a guess that most people slating it haven't played it because if you have played it you'll want one. I've been blown away by it since my purchase. Amazing Nintendo IP's in full hd and remote play that'll save even the shoddiest of marriages. It's a perfect secondary console.

PS4 and Xbox one can ask me bottom for at least another year. There's no games worth owning on either right now IMO.

I'm goin to continue playin my backlog of 360 till I make a decision whether to by a ps4 or gaming laptop. I've plenty to keep me going for 2 years never mind 1 and I'd put a wild guess out that I'm not the only one in this boat.

All this fighting over which is better is bull. Games are the key. Whatever system provides me with games I want to play an I can justify the price of the machine to play them on will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There has been a lot of active hostility towards the WiiU and, more precisely, towards those that might champion it's games, not nice at all.
    I can see my next gen future being my current WiiU paired with a PS4, unless MS really pull it out of the hat at the E3.
    They need to reduce the apparent performance differential between the machines, either proving it's just a result of poor utilisation of resources or innovating with the power it has.
    There is way more hostility from Nintendo fanbase towards people who are meh about Nintendo franchise.
    I almost bought one too just recently, but I had a good "debate with myself" if I really need and is it worth for me right now. Unfortunately there were more arguments on the side of "wait and get it later". It might be fun to play some games now and then on wii u, but I cannot justify 225eu on console and 2 games, which will bring it to 300eu. It would be okay if I knew about stable future of device, but Nintendo cannot even provide that.

It's not hate towards wii u, it's just not attractive deal right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd say the WiiU is fairly stable for the future. It doesn't have enough games I'd be into, for me right now, which might sound strange considering I got a PS4 with it's small library, but the PS4 is my console to play all multiplatforms, so the Wii U would need more exclusives I'm interested in. Great price, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

While the xbox one and ps4 are powerful machines the games and appeal for me are piss poor..

Have been stuck into the wii u exclusives and WOW nobody can deny ninty are absolutely genius.... shame people are so quick to slate the wii u without owning one.

Was actually considering selling my xbox one and buying a steam machine...

Last gen imo was the golden era for fps with bc2 etc...

I did but used most of the money to buy a savage graphics card. Both the PS4 & X1 are garbage compared to a decent rig so do yourself a favour and build a PC instead of buying a steam machine.

Quitters.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Quitters.

ESCWFqa.gif

Quitters.

Oh look its a blind gamer.

nathandrake.jpg

"I... I can't..."

Uncharted3-NathanDrake.jpg

"I can't find...."

GXDa3.jpg

"I can't find a PC that plays Uncharted 4..."

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's kinda funny how two of the biggest xbox supporters went from one extreme, jumped ship to go to land on the other. Now the PS4 and X1 are garbage when just a few months back they, well, the X1, was the furthest thing from it. It's odd.

I've nothing against the PC, but I'm hanging into my console for the exclusives.

Limiting yourself to one gaming device is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

RasTa wrote: »

I gotta agree but i have a good pc setup which i dont use alot, i have a ps3 and a ps4 which i use quite a bit.
    I would like a xb1, but had a 360 and never used it at all, so for me having more both a ps4 and xb1 is just daft and money down the drain for the 1 or 2 exclusives ms will have that i can more than likely get on pc if i really need to play em

Oh look its a blind gamer.

Oh, look it's yer man who can't take a joke.

Is this you?

FW854Uc.jpg

nathandrake.jpg

"I... I can't..."

Uncharted3-NathanDrake.jpg

"I can't find...."

GXDa3.jpg

"I can't find a PC that plays Uncharted 4..."

:pac:
    Uncharted?? REALLY??? Now if you said the last of us i would agree.. uncharted is boring pants

Oh, look it's yer man who can't take a joke.

Ah here will you calm down lol.......

• Advertisement

Is this you?

FW854Uc.jpg

He is AWESOME... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cool. I'll pick up the PS4, The Xbox One and the WiiU. The kids might have to starve for a couple of months but they'll get over it. Kids are kind of resilient that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I agree about the advantage. Another thing to note is that the average frame rate of the PS4 during gameplay is actually 50.98 FPS according to Digital Foundry.
    You trying to squeeze a few extra frames out of me :D

Ah apologies, a simple mistake on my part.
    I agree with what you are saying about the PS Move and the Kinect's lack in-game use at present. It is however very early days. The XB1 only launched 2.5 months ago. The Kinect 2.0 is far more advanced, that's a fact, however it remains unknown if developers can or will want to utilise that technology to create something that gamers will enjoy.

Yes, the PS4 has a Twitch app however its a limited version of Twitch. The proper Twitch app allows you to watch Twitch in its entirety. Which is on Xb1. (Yes, we know the Xb1 does not have a streaming option, but it is coming shortly and is fully confirmed)

In that you can only view PS4 streams, but you can't stream from the X1 atm, so I'd say they're about par (I believe both apps will get some dev and be more or less the same).
    Its just a benefit and was not part of my purchasing decision. I do find it very handy, and the camera tracking is a very cool feature. Another great feature is to be to have up to 25 Xbox One users (or any Skype user) in a call. Thats handy because party chat sizes are limited to 8 people talking. The call quality is brilliant.

I like sharing my video clips like many gamers do. I capture, edit and share BF4 montages, funny moments and so on. Also the "Xbox, Record that" command makes it really simple to capture an awesome moment without having to navigate anywhere to make it happen.

While HDMI splitters are great the way that the HDMI input is integrated into the system is great. I can watch my media while in a gaming lobby by just saying "Xbox, go to tv" and I can also say "Xbox, snap tv" and watch the media in snap mode while also viewing my game.

Usually I'll be watching a movie and I'll say "Xbox, snap activites". This calls up a snap of what my friends are currently playing and I can join them instantly if I wish. I wouldn't class it has must have. Its a luxury.

My Titanfall joking aside, its good to see Microsoft securing these significant exclusivity deals. Its one of the main reasons I bought an Xbox One. No matter how much PS4 gamers try to marginalise it that was one hell of deal to secure. Fair play.

Fair enough, but I would not consider anything that is available on PC an exclusive. And if the game is also available on the last gen consoles, it's irrelevant IMO. Now if there were a load of other juicy exclusives I wanted I'd probably pick it up for the XB1, but I wasn't a fan of the last 2 Fables and Halo isn't a deal breaker for me.
    Actually it consisted of a lot of facts and my opinion. I am not trying to sell xbox one and I am not trying to convince people to buy it. I have advised many people I know to get a PS4 when they told me what they were looking for. I just find it funny that when the XB1 gets mentioned here the facts about the XB1 go right out the window. PS4 users/fans come in with sweeping statements of untrue facts, like "elevated Frame rates" lol, or "constantly sustaining 1080p and 60FPS". I don't understand the need for people to be constantly inflate the PS4, its a great piece of gaming tech and really doesn't need to be sold in such a way.

Well the PS4 does have elevated frame rates, that is a fact. Fair play to you for providing such a comprehensive list of the Xbone's features, I just attempted to offer PS4's alternatives.

I think we can at least agree that it's far too early to tell exactly what console will be better. :)

IMO, PS4 will be a better gaming machine and the X1 will be more casual gaming-orientated and media centre-focussed. We'll see though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

He is AWESOME... :rolleyes:

He's got D to the L to the mothafooking C swag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

IMO, PS4 will be a better gaming machine and the X1 will be more casual gaming-orientated and media centre-focussed.
    Puzzling comment. What is 'casual' to you? Do you think the games will appeal to a casual audience? Do you think they will be casual in a release schedule of games? I don't know what you mean/why you think whatever. The games we know about right now for the One don't strike me as 'casual' games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Puzzling comment. What is 'casual' to you? Do you think the games will appeal to a casual audience? Do you think they will be casual in a release schedule of games? I don't know what you mean/why you think whatever. The games we know about right now for the One don't strike me as 'casual' games.

I mean I think that the X1's focus on all the multimedia elements will detract from the time put into making it the best game playing machine possible, so you'll probably find more and more games that appeal to the casual audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I mean I think that the X1's focus on all the multimedia elements will detract from the time put into making it the best game playing machine possible, so you'll probably find more and more games that appeal to the casual audience.
    Guide me through your thinking process here: Developers who previously didn't make casual games will start doing so now because the One isn't as powerful as the PS4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

LMAO have you used a One???? Focused on multimedia elements it sure as hell ain't , far from it. I don't mean that as a dig at you , but for all the "center of your multimedia experience" rubbish they spouted at the prelaunch events aobut that , you can't even play movies from USB and streaming from the LAN is not what it should be (secretly prays for plex to be allowed / want to make an app for one, now that would be cool, but given it works on my samsung TV i have no need of it), no one guide outside US etc etc

Cool. I'll pick up the PS4, The Xbox One and the WiiU. The kids might have to starve for a couple of months but they'll get over it. Kids are kind of resilient that way...

Ok, I'm talking about Tipsy and Batman who are in their PC is the only thing I'll ever own phase.

Personally everyone should own a laptop capable of playing Papers Please. Anything else can be played on a console

PS3 for ICO, Shadow, Journey and Last of Us.

Master PC gamers missed the above I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

or financially prudent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement