Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RasTa wrote: »
    Limiting yourself to one gaming device is retarded.

I reckon everyone here has a smartphone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

or financially prudent

Ah give over.

Nobody is suggesting that you buy every device all at once.

I for one won't be buyin my next bit of gaming hardware for at least another year. The Wii U is my newest and is coupled with my 360 for 3rd party games etc for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Cienciano wrote: »
    I reckon everyone here has a smartphone as well.

oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ah give over.

Nobody is suggesting that you buy every device all at once.

I for one won't be buyin my next bit of gaming hardware for at least another year. The Wii U is my newest and is coupled with my 360 for 3rd party games etc for now.

a lot of people would have to save hard to get one. Justifying a second purchase might not be possible, saying that they are retarded is very harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

a lot of people would have to save hard to get one. Justifying a second purchase might not be possible, saying that they are retarded is very harsh
    Over the course of years it isn't hard. I got the Wii day one because it had Zelda, got the 360 March 2006, and got the PS3 only a year and a half ago or so. I could have afforded it earlier, but had enough to play so held off till a better time. One has to factor in time and money, but over 5 years, one should be able to make it work.

I haven't bought any of the three consoles yet, but know I'll get the three. I know the Wii U is the first on the list. It's time for gaming that is my chief concern. Its been a concern for a while, honestly, and I really do have a lot of current gen stuff still to do. Going multiple consoles, the only 'weakness' is having too much to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm not the one who said the word retarded. Maybe quote the right comment next time.

Some people can afford a second console and some can't. That's life.
    Some people can afford a BMW some can afford a Toyota.

That said I think there's an element of choice here too for others. im not loaded by any means but if I wanted to I could go and buy a ps4 or xboxone tomorrow i could but there is genuinely nothing making me want to do that right now. 360 and a wii u is a perfect combo until the games start coming for the new consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I don't know how we are discussing money.

Yeah I don't know how we are discussing money.
    It isn't much of a leap. The cost associated with buying consoles/PC, games... It's the biggest reason why people who stick to one platform do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Guide me through your thinking process here: Developers who previously didn't make casual games will start doing so now because the One isn't as powerful as the PS4?

No, more casual games will go onto it because of the Kinect. The big heavy games won't look as good, so less people will buy them for X1.

What I meant by the X1 being more focussed on multimedia is that they will probably prioritise making the multimedia functions work great over making games work at their maximum potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm not the one who said the word retarded. Maybe quote the right comment next time

i never said you did.

• Advertisement

No, more casual games will go onto it because of the Kinect. The big heavy games won't look as good, so less people will buy them for X1.
    So, you think multiplats will not look as good on the One, so people will buy the PS4 version, resulting in multiplats excluding the One? I doubt it. People who own multiple consoles, and those being the PS4 and One as opposed to PS4 or One and Wii U are very likely to decide to use the PS4 for multiplats. This is my intention. I don't think there are such great numbers that developers would abstain from developing on the One though. Given that bringing games to both systems is easier than would have been the case in previous gens and the cost of development constantly going up... So, multplats will still release on the One, and I don't see first party deviating from plans to a casualized approach. The selling more on PS4 already has a major case in point. Tomb Raider on the PS4 outselling the version on the One 2:1. That's a pretty big difference. Do I think it will result in the sequel not being released on the One? Course not.

I don't see it likely for the Kinect to reduce the amount of good games on the One. It *may* result in some crappy developers releasing shovelware on it which reasonable people would just ignore. We're going to see crappy games come to all the platforms. We should assess platforms by the games we want, or not having the games we want. Games we don't want shouldn't even be a consideration. So, I guess my main point is, less good games? No, more bad games? Maybe so.
    What I meant by the X1 being more focussed on multimedia is that they will probably prioritise making the multimedia functions work great over making games work at their maximum potential.
    I don't think the multimedia issue will be a problem on the developer end. If anything is an issue here it is on the console end, with the bloated OS using up so much RAM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is this you?

FW854Uc.jpg

Actually that's me.
    Though I don't look like that and have more games and consoles than he has.

It's good to be the King!

Oh, I don't sound like a character from New Jack City either, sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ok, I'm talking about Tipsy and Batman who are in their PC is the only thing I'll ever own phase.

Personally everyone should own a laptop capable of playing Papers Please. Anything else can be played on a console

PS3 for ICO, Shadow, Journey and Last of Us.

Master PC gamers missed the above I think.
    how are u talking about me?? I have a wii u 3ds xbox one and am considering going pc as the consoles that have been released imo are all hype

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

lol relax bro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ok, I'm talking about Tipsy and Batman who are in their PC is the only thing I'll ever own phase.

Personally everyone should own a laptop capable of playing Papers Please. Anything else can be played on a console

PS3 for ICO, Shadow, Journey and Last of Us.

Master PC gamers missed the above I think.

Probably the most stupid/ignorant comment in this thread.

Edit - PC exclusives off the top of my head, Civ 5, Gone Home, The Stanley Parable, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2, Company of Heroes 1&2, Total War series, ARMA, Starcraft 2, Age of Empires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Eurogamer say to stick with the PS3 for now if you want a console with good media playback.

Article: PS4 vs Xbox One: which is the better media player?

The PS3 still has a lot of life in her, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Grayditch wrote: »

I suspect the 360 will get the same treatment as the original Xbox with MS abandoning it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Yup.. currently playing ME3 on it, have Metro Last Light to go through and just bought The Wolf Among Us season pass.. with Dark Souls 2 and Persona 5 coming this year.

Not bad at all.

Oh and TLOU dlc Friday :D

I just dont get why some of you are so defensive about a brand lads you would swear they pay you to game ffs you pay through the nose for consoles and games but because you have that console yiu defend it? Variety is what its all about remember that or you will remain playing the same thing over and over again

• Advertisement

Apart from being a paperweight the last of us dlc looks good

I just dont get why some of you are so defensive about a brand lads

I'm not trying to start anything, but this coming from you made me do a double take.

Apart from being a paperweight the last of us dlc looks good

Still have plenty of games to get through with my PS3. Hardly even close to a paperweight. I see little reason at current to upgrade to a PS4 or Xbox One. Happily play my paper weight until current gen paperweights built up more of a catalogue of games!

I'm not trying to start anything, but this coming from you made me do a double take.

Oh you are trying to start something... now go away...

On a side note i have no loyalty to anyone but nintendo they are the dogs bollox when it comes to developing games and consoles imo

irishmover wrote: »
    Still have plenty of games to get through with my PS3. Hardly even close to a paperweight. I see little reason at current to upgrade to a PS4 or Xbox One. Happily play my paper weight until current gen paperweights built up more of a catalogue of games!

When i said paperweight i presumed you all had ps4 consoles apologies. Yeah obviously ps3 and 360 will see another 3 years of development

When i said paperweight i presumed you all had ps4 consoles apologies. Yeah obviously ps3 and 360 will see another 3 years of development

So not a paperweight then. Glad we've got that clear... Thought I had a battle on my hands there.

So not a paperweight then. Glad we've got that clear... Thought I had a battle on my hands there.

No battle. Tbh i would take my 360 back for blops 1 and 2 and bc2 in the mornin

Probably the most stupid/ignorant comment in this thread.

Edit - PC exclusives off the top of my head, Civ 5, Gone Home, The Stanley Parable, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2, Company of Heroes 1&2, Total War series, ARMA, Starcraft 2, Age of Empires.

Most people can live without Civ5, Total War, Age of Empires type games.

Nobody should live without Last of Us or Mario. As I said it's retarded limiting yourself to just one gaming device and ruling out consoles.

Most people can live without Civ5, Total War, Age of Empires type games.

Nobody should live without Last of Us or Mario. As I said it's retarded limiting yourself to just one gaming device and ruling out consoles.

So RTS or turned based strategy games aren't your thing. For me it's retarded (your word) to live without those games just as much as all those other games you mentioned.

• Advertisement

So RTS or turned based strategy games aren't your thing. For me it's retarded (your word) to live without those games just as much as all those other games you mentioned.

Ok, but I'm not the one saying PC is the only way to play games and ruling out console gaming altogether. Both have their merits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement